[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grow lights? I live in a cu.ckshed in the city and need the Oxygen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: nigger.jpg (51KB, 308x308px) Image search: [Google]
nigger.jpg
51KB, 308x308px
Grow lights? I live in a cu.ckshed in the city and need the Oxygen and cheap vegetation. Any thoughts or tips for a noob?
>>
i just use shop lights, works well if you keep within 8 inches of the plant
>>
>>904218
Get yourself a few COB LEDs, reflectors, computer heat sink + fans and make yourself a light.
>>
>>904218
What are you growing?

You can grow plenty of indoor plants without any supplemental lighting.

Spider plants
Philodendron
Palms
Ferns
Ivy
Snake plants
Dracaenas
ZZ Plant

All of these plants are happy to live their life inside with whatever light they're given.

Dracaenas like the Cast Iron plant and Corn plant can only be hurt by overwatering. The ZZ plant is also very indestructable.

Vining philodendrons do just fine in poor soils and need only water and a light feeding once or twice a year.
>>
>>904342
This. Philodendrons apparently thrive on neglect. I water mine only when I remember which is probably biweekly.
>>
>>905139
I want to grow a small veggie garden like some small tomato plants and mabye a squash and some carrots. I was thinking about growing them in my closet because i dont have enough window room, and an extra broom closet
>>
File: Salad Greens.jpg (4MB, 3648x2760px) Image search: [Google]
Salad Greens.jpg
4MB, 3648x2760px
>>904239
I use the same and they work well. I grow leafy greens for eating. Chickweed, lambs quarter, and spinach. I use two 2-lightbulb shop lights and keep them about 2-4 inches from the tops of the plants. I use aluminum foil glued to cardboard to help box in the light. The glue is 1 part water and 1 part wood glue (elmer's glue works too.) The chickweed and lambs quarter do better than the spinach, fyi. I overwintered pepper plants too and it worked fine for them. They fruited, I hand pollinated them, and had peppers in February.
>>
>>905193
Growing fruit indoors is very cost prohibitive as it requires significant light. Additionally tomatoes are heavy feeders. You're better off sticking with basics like herbs and lettuces for indoors grows. The bennefit being that they'll do fine with a bright south facing window without supplemental lighting
>>
was looking into LED grow lights for my grandpa a few days ago. I can find next to no information. All the lights i see on amazon are full of fake reviews, hell nearly everything on there is fake. Its super gay.
>>
>>904218
You can use any number of "daylight" CFLs, so long as you assume that every square foot would need roughly 800 lumen's of that light to bring germinating seeds to their first true leaves, and around 1200 lumens for advanced vegetative growth.

Daylight bulbs are heavier on the blue end of the spectrum, and are best to use for the bulk of it's growth. For fruting plants, shift from Daylight to Bright-White bulbs, which have less blue and more red/yellow in their output once they have entered the fruiting stage.

I've found that a mix of Daylight and Soft-white (mostly red) works best for indoor lettuce.

I'm speaking from experience, growing lettuce and petters in a plastic bin in my basement. Just as a hobby, I took a hydroponic course through my college as an elective, and scrapped together something to satisfy my need for satisfactory home-made salads during the winter.
>>
>>905476
that's supposed to say peppers
>>
>>905430

If you are looking for cheaper LED grow lights, there are good E27 (socket size) lights on Amazon for a good price. Couple one of these with a cheap clamp-lamp or similar and you have good light for a 1sqft grow area. I have one on a small aquaponic NFT tank and it does great. (Try the Mudder E27 5W LED grow light).

If you're looking for more serious lights, take a look at the Solarflare 110. It looks solid and my research was based on outdoor needs in a hot and humid area (would cover the light). But I'm still contemplating DIY my own - it can be done for about 1/3 the price or less (comparatively).
>>
>>905197
FYI, this system costs $18 a month in electric. Considering it is the only way to get those kind of fresh greens in the middle of winter, I think it is a good price.
>>
bumpzorz
my hair is getting gross
>>
>>908219
What?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.