[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any carpenters? Tomorrow is the first day on the job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: cs sweat'.png (857KB, 2271x2380px) Image search: [Google]
cs sweat'.png
857KB, 2271x2380px
Are there any carpenters? Tomorrow is the first day on the job as a Carpenter helper. I've never had a job similar to this and have no knowledge of the trade. I have a proper shirt, pants, and steel toe boots. What else should I take. They never described what to take.
>>
>>903059
Have some PPE gear. Safety glasses, hard hat, gloves, ear pro, and a safety vest. May be overkill, but you'll be about as prepared as you need to be minus the tools. Tools being hammer, cats paw, measuring tape, carpenter pencils, speed square, and torpedo level. Basics of the top of my head. Next level is a worm drive skill saw and a nail gun. Then your own compressor. Really you just need safety stuff and basic tools for now.
>>
>>903059
Good luck btw. It's kind of a shit job, especially this time of the year, but I do remember those times fondly. Work is much more complicated now.
>>
File: bieber.jpg (48KB, 599x612px) Image search: [Google]
bieber.jpg
48KB, 599x612px
>>903059
Bump.
>>
>>903059
a notepad and a pen

seriously, take notes on everything. you may get clowned on but it shows you give a shit and you won't have to ask questions as much later

and a pocketkinfe
>>
>>903059
throw a bottle of aspirin in your ride..... get a good nights sleep, bring your ears and leave your mouth at home. they know you don't know shit about this, so they're going to give you shit jobs fetching stuff and holding things, the better you do this, without having to be retold a fuckton of times the faster they will teach you how to do more useful things and eventually you can graduate to being the one dictating shit jobs to new guys.
>>
This may sound basic but learn tape measure fractions.
Know where 11/16 is without having to think about it.

I've worked with entry level welders and If they didn't already know this basic thing, I wouldn't waste my effort on teaching them anything else.
>>
>>904931
This. It's your first day, the crusty fuck you're helping only cares about your attitude, how much of an annoying faggot you are, and how much of a dumbass you are. Don't bring a faggot notepad, don't talk about your waifu, agree with whatever political shit you hear, and don't bitch when your first week is just carrying shit and sweeping. Jesus Christ if someone started off as my helper and he brought a notepad, I'd tell him to go home.
>>
>>903064
nobody expects that much from a kid on his very first day.

1. 25' tape measure.
2. mechanical and regular pencil
3. gloves probably, almost definitely if it's cold
4. pack your lunch
5. texting on the job is to carpenters as jerking off in public is to civilized society. just don't.
6. don't use power tools without someone teaching you first.
>>
>>903059
Just keep a level head about you (c wut i did there). Carpentry is 3% knowing tools and regulations and 97% critical thinking and problem solving. So just go in with a clear and open mind and let the pros teach you how to be efficient and awesome. You'll do fine
>>
I'm a welding student so I mostly work with metal so I'm not completely sure but I think carpenters are better off with ear protection too.

It's pretty crazy how sounds that seem insignificant can fuck your shit up in the long term.
>>
>>903059

Sandwiches and a drinky
>>
>>904969
>and he brought a notepad, I'd tell him to go home.

This. In this type of job you need to learn with your memory because you are doing stuff with your hands other than writing. This is carpentry not science or journalism.
>>
Protective gear. I am somewhat experienced. However a guy with 100 times more experience was working with me on a large 900 Sq ft garage, we used 20' steel panels for the interior and we had to rip/cut a lot of them. Using a circular saw with a metal blade and no guide. I wore a full face shield, over ear protection and gloves. He ridiculed me, saying all kinds of stuff. After a while, I went to do something else and he made some cuts. He was wearing cotton gloves and eye goggles.
He had a piece of steel lodged into his forehead I removed with needle nosed pliers and one up under a fingernail. Now he doesn't care, just shrugged it off, he's been accepting things like this for at least a decade. He has scars, hearing damage, and high pain tolerance. Now me, I'm a faggot so I'm going to keep wearing all the protection I can. The choice is up to you OP, be a pussy, or sacrifice your body.
>>
Oh and I forgot to mention that fiberglass insulation is the Devil. If you ever have to work with wear a long sleeved something, preferably a synthetic fabric so it's easy to clean, plants gloves and boots. Tape pants to your boots and over your gloves if you prefer. Wear a mask, even just a shifty disposable one. However, most importantly, get some lab goggles, the type that seal to your face. Don't touch your face, don't touch your dick don't touch anything without taking off your gloves and cleaning up some.

Doing blow in insulation is even more satanic, at that point they sell one piece full body coverings, which is worth it IMO
>>
You know, this board isn't that bad; there is some really fucking sound advice right here. I haven't ever had a full-time carpentry job before but a lot of my family members that I've helped here and there on jobs have essentially said the same kind of stuff about the trade.

I consider myself handy, but that doesn't mean shit next to a master. Just pay attention, be eager to help, and be safe.
>>
I'm a mason by trade, and have a landscape construction company.

These are some huge red flags for new guys.

Don't be late. Especially on the first day.

Dont show up exhausted- get a good night sleep, don't pound redbulls all day, eat a good breakfast and lunch so you don't flame out before the day is over.

Dont Sit down on the job or have you phone out. Makes a terrible first impression. If you don't have anything to do grab a broom or pick up trash, anything useful. Sit down on your break.

Dont Break anything Take your time, pay attention to what your doing, don't overload your wheelbarrow, work carefully around delicate things.

Shut up/mind your manners around the client. Don't swear, don't scratch your balls, dont piss if theres a 1% chance the client can see you.

Clean up your trash, dont leave your lunch on the ground.

Remember your disposable. Unskilled labor is cheap, and easy to replace. If your part of the problem instead of an asset any good businessman will replace you.

All common sense stuff. If your on time, work hard, and have half a brain, you have a better chance than 75% of the competition.

Carpenters Pencils, measuring tape, torpedo level, pocket knife/multitool, handkerchief, packed lunch, jacket/hoodie should get you through the first day.
>>
>>904996
Fuck that. I regularly measure an entire room/floor of baseboard and cut it all at once. If you want to measure and cut one board at a time your wasting time and only fooling yourself. If you're going to tell me you can remember 20+ measurements to 1/16th you're full of shit.

No one likes telling a guy a measurement twice because he got busy with something else and forgot.
>>904969 is full of shit and isn't in a position to hire a helper.
>>
Advice from a carpenter:
>>906390
Has most of the attitude covered up, BUT!
Don't bring anything with you but your lunch, clothes for work and documents if needed.

Any carpentry (if talking about cabinet making inside a hanger) or construction site will provide you with their own measuring tools and protective gear - gloves, ear protection etc... straight from some solid brand's agent. Makes absolutely no sense to buy your own unless you're looking to be self-employed.

And don't be gloomy or nervous, for Christ sake. Life's pretty damn enjoyable working with wood, so smile and breath in the sawdust.
>>
You should know that if you bring tools you may be expected to use them. Buy them, but maybe leave them in your vehicle for the first few days. Notepads are for those involved with cabinetry or finishing trades. Everyone else just uses scraps of garbage. Good attitude, shut up, dont whine, learn as much as you can by watching, be respectful, and admit your ignorance. And if you're a wimp do a hundred pushups a day because you should be doing this anyways. All common sense thats already been stated, but reading it again reinforces the importance
>>
I would get some knee pads, with the plastic cap on the front. I once got adoring job and spent about nine hours creaking around on bare cement with a scraper. Knee pads may or may not be needed, but "carpenter" can mean different things. Everything from framing to crawling around taking on base boards. And it's not just for comfort, some turd I worked with put his knee down on round edge of a roofing nail and his entire knee is still puffed up to 150% of original size.
>>
>>906964
>No one likes telling a guy a measurement twice because he got busy with something else and forgot.
You write measurements on scraps of wood or maybe a single piece of paper folded up and stuck in your pocket. Not some faggot notebook.
Also OP isn't going to be doing shit with measurements aside from maybe holding the far end of the tape measure on a mark.
>>
>And if you're a wimp do a hundred pushups a day because you should be doing this anyways.

Wtf? I don't get this misogynistic bs. I see women out on job sites all the time shithead
>>
>>906964
Basically this. I work as an electrician and I tell all the newbies to get little 3x5 notebook and keep it in their tool belt or shirt pocket. Especially when they're new and can do fuckall by themselves.

Nothing pisses me off like conduit being 2 inches too long and having to stand on a 16 foot ladder with a stick of conduit in one hand and a bandsaw in the other to fix it.

This applies to skilled labor though, most younger carpenters just try to remember and have terrible fucking work, the old ones just write on cut-offs and lose them half the fucking time because they think they're too good for a little notebook.

Stay off your fucking phone. Better yet, leave the fucking thing in your vehicle. It's not just newbies who do this shit, my co-worker is 33, a master electrician, but can't fucking go 15 minutes without sending a text. Text away when you're on break or in the passenger seat on the way to a job, just not in the middle of the fucking job.
>>
>>907872
And women cannot do pushups and/or do not benefit from chest strength and general fitness?
>>
>>907872
>>908015
Yeah, this.

The first and only person to bring up women or gender was you.

If the job requires heavy lifting, then you have to be able to do heavy lifting. If it doesn't then you don't.

There are no jobs in construction that require you to bring a penis.
>>
>>907872
You're a fucking moron

>>907380
This guy gets it
>>
>>907879
We typically write on a piece of wood or cardboard, maybe a piece of paper.
>>
>>907879
>stick of conduit in one hand and a bandsaw in the other
you are a big guy!
>>
>>907879
>Better yet, leave the fucking thing in your vehicle.
god I hope you're just an hourly worker and not a supervisor of any sort, I hate having to deal with shitheads who never answer the phone.
>>
>>908034
For you...

>>908046
I'm a master electrician and part owner of the company. I have a personal cell phone and a work cell phone. As does every van.

The company provides work phones for that very reason. They are there to get a hold of the guys on a job site. They're 4 year old rugged flip phones too.

If you're texting or taking personal calls on the clock, you are stealing from your company.
>>
A lot of good advice here, pretty much all the attitude things are dead on what you need to be.

As far as tools, you most likely wont need them for a while, you'll know when or will be provided them when that time comes. You will be packing lumber, holding shit, picking up trash and scraps etc. Basically mindless shit, but you still need to be smart and pay the fuck attention, and dont try to kill yourself with heavy lifting and dont fucking run around to fetch shit, move fast and make every movement and action you do in the most efficient way possible.

Efficiency is the key to a good carpenter, which in turn makes a good laborer/apprentice.

KNOW HOW TO READ A TAPE MEASURE, also I assume you know the difference between nominal and actual sizes of dimensional lumber. If you dont know these two things already, you will be way behind.

Always be doing something, pick up trash, ask what needs done, think ahead and see what the next step is and be prepared. (What lumber do they need next, where should it go so its out of the way but accessible)

Keep your PPE on, whatever is required and maybe more than that. Old guys may give you shit because they worked a long time and never lost a finger or eye, but that doesnt mean you wont. A carpenters most important things are his eyes and hands, which are also the some of the easiest things to fuck up on a jobsite.

Listen to, and learn the names of particular tools, framing members, trims, etc.

The time you are told to report on the job is the time you start work, not the time you arrive there, remember that.

Most importantly, before you start working for the day (especially if framing), take a look around the job from a place where you can see the entire project. When you're finished at the end of the day or even the week, go to the same spot and look at what is there and realize that you helped build something from a pile of sticks into what you see in front of you. Thats why we do this shit everyday.
>>
>>903059
PPE, like the other anons said. Guard your eyes and hearing, that shit's irreplaceable. Gloves are good, but you have to learn when they're appropriate.

Put a handful of bandaids and a roll of surgical tape in your pocket. Minor cuts and scrapes can bleed a lot, you don't want to be leaving blood prints everywhere. Secure bandaids with a wrap of tape.

As you learn about the job, you'll accumulate tools. Check pawnshops for high quality tools. Do not skimp on your toolbelt.
>>
>>903059
So how did your first day go OP?
>>
>>903059

Depending on how much safety equipment they provide for you, I'd add some of those disposable dust masks to the safety stuff other people mentioned, especially if you're around or making lots of sawdust or insulation being installed.

Also, a pair of kneepads if you have to do a lot of low to ground stuff.

Eventually you're going to want a tool belt, especially if the work is around the job site, and not just at a central station. You'll have to see what kinds of things you find yourself having to carry all the time, and can probably copy what the Carpenter you're assisting carries. Also have to decide if you just want a belt, or a version with suspender straps if the tools wind up pulling the belt down as you move.

Oh, a small handheld flashlight or headlamp, though headlamp is more for if you have to find or do things in dark spaces often and need the use of your hands.
>>
>>904981
100% some cunt(apprentice/labourer) has a phone on my site and gets told not asked once put it away. if its out again ever again it goes under the hammer
>>
File: rMF7E59.jpg (171KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
rMF7E59.jpg
171KB, 1080x1920px
This shall be you shortly.
>>
A skateboard, some weed. a cell phone and a really shitty attitude.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.