[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I spilled motor oil all over my trunk carpet. I scrubbed the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

I spilled motor oil all over my trunk carpet. I scrubbed the bigger bits and then tried to clean it with dishwasher soap but it didn't work as it's still greasy.

How do I clean it up? Pic. related similar to what I have although mine is completely black.
>>
You need to cover the zone with something that sucks the oil, like talcum powder or flour. and let it sit for a while, then wash it up again
>>
>>899442

Yeah I was thinking about something like that. I'll try thanks. Wash it again with dishwasher soap? As of right now the carpet doesn't smell of oil at all, it's just greasy.
>>
The professional way to solve this is using a wet/dry vacuum, since I suppose you haven't one, try with iI said, some powder that can suck up the oil, scrub a little with a brush,, then vacuum it and repeat till the carpet is practically oil free or dry enough. After that you can go then and scrub with water and soap (any kind, better low foam soap), let it dry and you should be good to go, if it's still greasy, repeat the process, is a tedious shit. Next time usea a plastic bag to put in the oil bottle...
>>
File: DRO-XP1.jpg (2MB, 1936x3472px) Image search: [Google]
DRO-XP1.jpg
2MB, 1936x3472px
>>899449

I had the oil in one of these plastic bottles that you buy oil in. I have no clue how exactly it broke but I also have winter chains in a plastic container and I'm thinking it hit the oil bottle and it broke it. The bottle has been there for a long time, it was always in the back of my mind to take it out because it might spill but never did.

Anyway I'll use powder and let it sit for a few hours then vacuum it and see if it's still greasy. Good thing it doesn't smell and leaves no stains due to the carpet being completely black.
>>
>>899441
burn it
>>
>>899451
That's a plausible theory. It is usefull to have one of those around

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqZ,!hYE4+o24MkVBORD4vLoEg~~_35.JPG
>>
>>899449
That or degreaser wipes, can't seem to find any mention of them other than from china but someone here might know a more correct term.
I have used them to clean motor oil with surprisingly good results (not perfect but it actually seemed to suck the oil out of the wood fibres that I had spilled on).
>>
it might seem stupid, but lampoil (petroleum??) would dissolve the oil.
then it should come off with a good soap.

if really bad, lampoil, then gasoline then ethanol, then soap.. that would remove almost all stains. just make sure that the gasoline does not dissolve if it is plastic..

dishwasher soap blocks is also an excellent way to clean really dirty clothing from a greasy workshop..
>>
>>899441

Trunk carpet is removable if you dissasemble nearby plastic sidewalls. Then you can pressure wash it and let it dry.
Clean metal floor with paper towels and gasoline or similiar solvent like ethanol. Don't use acetone or nitro solvent as they can remove too much and will damage plastics.
>>
>>900687
trunk carpet should be a separate piece from rest of cabin carpet but there are some rare cases when it's not so. And maybe you will need to remove back seats, idk it varies betwen vehicles and its also rare.
But for sure it won't be a difficult job.
>>
File: 20151112_123306.jpg (579KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
20151112_123306.jpg
579KB, 1224x1632px
> 5 replies
> Not a single mention of engine degreaser, a product designed specifically to beak down oil.

OP, Degreaser. Degreaser, OP. Saturate the oil with this, lay the mat pile down on some grass so the oil rinses out the same way it came in instead of getting pushed deeper into the pile. Hit it a second time to rinse the residue out. If you're paying more than $5 for a can you're a sucker. Not hard.
>>
>>900811
That disolves glue in the fabric dumbass. Dawn soap and a stiff brush is the correct answer.
>>
>>899451
I always just keep an extra bottle of oil in my engine compartment tucked away in a small corner with a rag.
No chance in hell would I leave that actually inside my car unless I was transporting it somewhere like from the store.
>>
>>899444
No vacuum it up. Shop vac.
>>
>>899441
You could always oil the rest of the carpet. Just sayin brah
>>
I realize this is a DIY site, but have you looked at just buying a replacement mat? Even one from a junkyard or ebay, used it could be dirt cheap.

You're almost never going to be able to completely remove the oil from the mat, not without potentially ruining it with heavy detergents and wasting a lot of time.
>>
>>900836
>Dawn soap

This, they even use it to clean animals after oil spills
Dawn found out and then started some sales donation thing.
If it can clean a pelican I'm sure it can clean your carpet.
>>
>>900836
>>900836
What kind of backwater do you live in where carpet is glued together as opposed to being woven like the rest of the planet..?
>>
>>901328
Probably the cheap ones that go in cars like op's
>weaving carpet onto a rubber backing
>ever
>>
>>900836
Actually fucktard rub dawn in with hand and use pressure washer and instantly fucking clean. Also this should be done where you may not want something to grow.
>>
>>901319
A couple studies by a humane society showed that animals that were cleaned off by humans faired worse than the animals that weren't "helped".

Animal is stressed and freaking out from being covered in oil. Then a human comes along and manhandles it keeping it from getting away adding on even more stress.

The animals that werent manhandled eventually get enough of the oil off through some means to start flying, swimming and hunting again.
>>
>>902639
Oh wow. Even when we try to help we still fuck it up :(
>>
>>899490
Seconding this. I had chainsaw chain oil on some pants once. Washed them in petrol then hot washed them in soap and water a number of times. They smelt for the first few washes but it dies down after a few.

We use mineral chain oil here.
>>
>>902704

Welcome to Humanity my friend.
>>
>>902639
A couple of studies say your a faggot.
>>
Genuine Trisodium Phosphate. Literally accept no substitute.
>>
>>900982
They sounds like an engine fire waiting to happen. Especially with the rag.
>>
I'm not sure if this will work but a company called Franmar Chemical makes a product called Bean-e-doo screen wash that is the best degreaser and cleaner I've ever used. I originally used it as an ink cleaner for screen printing but found it works on almost anything like magic. It's made completely from soy beans, it's water soluble, it's non toxic and environment safe. The smell is a bit strong tho.
>>
>>903177
Thanks

Hey op, you still even here?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.