[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wooden Sword

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 13

File: 1609.jpg (17KB, 596x561px) Image search: [Google]
1609.jpg
17KB, 596x561px
I want to make my 4 year old son a wooden sword. For playing silly buggers and not much else, what would be a good wood for this?
>>
>>896838
poplar or tulipwood as yanks call it.

cheap, hard enough for silly buggers, and you can sand/ carve it easy and itl take a paint finish if thats what you want to do.

you could go onto maple/ash but that is probably a little overkill and doesnt carve or shape so easy.
>>
>>896838
Hopefully he won't split his friends heads open.
Woden swords can cut, break little bones and stab.
You're a bit of an unfit parent if you think this is a good idea.
Use vinyl or soft plastic for the blade and pommel. You know, bendy stuff, still he could put an eye out.
>>
>>897207
you are a massive pussy
>>
>>897207

gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>897207
Bet you're one of those women that think slingshots are weapons.
>>
>>897207
Wait, children might hit each other with small bits of wood? What abhorrently violent behavior!

#IllegalizeSticks

Together, you and me can make a faggot-free world.
>>
File: 1392652634385.jpg (7KB, 226x225px) Image search: [Google]
1392652634385.jpg
7KB, 226x225px
>>897207
>kek
>>
poplar's a little soft, I'd suggest ash or beech.

I understand that some of the oriental martial arts types find red oak staffs or wasters work well, and that might be easier for you depending on where you are in the world.
>>
>>897214
Sign me up, I don't want any children to be raised like that terrorist Aladdin. Sword fighting needs to stop. Wasn't Aladdin one of those Al-qaeda guys? Sure looks like one. My sons aren't going to be a terrorist.

#illegalizeSticks
>>
File: consider-the-following.jpg (25KB, 300x301px) Image search: [Google]
consider-the-following.jpg
25KB, 300x301px
>>897248
>>896840

beech > maple > ash = oak > poplar
Poplar too soft
Ash heavy and brittle, unnecessarily hard, same for oak.
Maple pretty good but still unnecessarily hard
Beech is good, enough hardness w/ good durability and elasticity.

(My humble opinion based on experience)

#illegalizeSticks
>>
>>897214
BAN baseball bats and hockey sticks!!!!!!
>>
jeez-us.
just use cheap easy to find (often for free) pine. its a kiddie play sword. no need to over think this.
the little cheap play swords you buy at the ren fair are just cheap pine and they are plenty strong for child's play.
>>
when I was a wee lad friends and I would go to construction sites and pick up scrap electrical conduit pipe, flatten it with a sledge hammer (leaving the end part round for a handle), make a cross guard out of wood wrap the handle part with tape and end up with a METAL sword to play with. not sharp on the edges but still it was metal. made both euro type and japan type swords. also made scabbards that would clip onto a belt from cardboard and hot glue.
made shields from scrap plywood, made crossbows from scrap 2X4s and elastic bands; the bolts were cut up dowel rods or crayons.
basically had a little ye olde medieval weapons shoppe going; was only in jr. high school...
>>
>>897260
oh, and [amazingly] no one ever got hurt. we were young but not dumb. no full force swings and hits etc.
that said I guess MOST kiddies don't have that kind of self control. especially these days.
>>
>>897259
This. It'll be no big deal if he breaks it or outgrows it. Wrap the grip with hockey tape or something if you're worried about splinters.
>>
>>897252
you know, now that you mention it, beech is a great wood for this. growing up we had a beech tree in our yard and would beat each other with the branches and it didnt seem to hurt as much as maple or oak branches
>>
File: Clipboard07.png (24KB, 1293x219px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard07.png
24KB, 1293x219px
If you really want a sword that lasts, you'll want to use some Australian Buloke.
>Pic related
If sharpened well enough, It'll probably draw blood when your kid hits one of his friends with it.
Your kid will be crowned barbarian king of the neighborhood with his legendary sword that literally destroys the measly pine sticks made by pleb-dads.
>>
>>896838
Pine

One 2x4 would be plenty.
>>
>>896840
Maybe glue some craft foam around the blade edges to avoid wounds
>>
>>897207
Unfit parenting would be giving your child foam in lieu of teaching him not to fucking hit people.
>>
>>897927
tru dis.
>>
>>897892
why assuming that the 'blade' edges would be made to be 'sharp'? OP's pic sword does not have sharpened edges. they can be beveled to give a more realistic look of a real sword but they don't have to come to a sharpened edge.
>>
>>898266
the flattened metal conduit pipe swords I made as a lad were not sharp on the edges at all but were plenty strong to beat a path through the local corn field. ;-)
i.e. they could cut down corn stalks easily.
>>
>>896838
I made two viking swords for my boys from beech.
They'll last a lifetime.

I put some aluminium tape on the blade and cord wrapped the grip, looks great and my kids love it.
>>
>>896838
I have mixed feelings about this.
You should pad the blade. It won't look as cool.
But then your kid won't be afraid to hit with it.

Seeing kids trying to hit the blade instead of the body is the saddest thing ever with regard to swordmanship.
>>
>>897927
THIS^
>>
Plywood. I made lots of wooden swords of various woods, plywood is best. Just buy 18mm thick one. Cheers
>>
File: WoodImpactToughness.jpg (45KB, 608x434px) Image search: [Google]
WoodImpactToughness.jpg
45KB, 608x434px
>>896838
Hickory. There's a reason it's used for tool handles. There are plenty of harder woods, but its impact resistance is literally the best in the world. Be sure to get a piece with dead straight grain for the blade/handle.
>>
>>897207

>the only other actually responsible person here
>>
>>896840
yank here. never heard of tulipwood
>>
File: palletoffice.jpg (101KB, 432x333px) Image search: [Google]
palletoffice.jpg
101KB, 432x333px
Whats the consensus on the safety of pallets for indoor furniture?

I've read articles like http://www.cupboardsonline.com/2011/04/when-trends-attack-shipping-pallet.html but I've also seen countless pallet projects and no nationwide wave of listeria cases and methyl bromide poisoning, so...
>>
>>899764
woops meant to start a new thread
>>
>>897285
kek
beautiful
go for this, OP.
>>
>>896840

Yeah, it's poplar here also. Wank.
>>
>>897208
Seconded. Momma not letting him play with hard objects results in a soft disposition and soft skull. How are you even alive?
>>
White wax wood is perfect for flexible lightweight weapons. been used for Bo staff a and Asian weapons for years. Coco Bolo is great if you want a hardwood that will weigh a ton and turn him into a Viking raiders raider, it is heavy as Fuck and takes an impact.
>>
>>897207
>being this moral on 4 chan
i can't tell if b8 or literal autism
>>
Let me suggest hazelwood (filbert);it's strong but too light to hurt much.
>>
>>899762
You two should get together and bugger each other sore.
>>
>>896838
For a 4 year old? anything really, but you could just get a belt sander or a knife and some time and shape a broken shovel handle. The trick is to make it nice and thin, maybe 5-8mm, and leave the edge as wide as you can after rounding the corners. A 4 yr old won't be able to control anything heavy, so make sure it's thin and short, or you'll be yelling at him for breaking shit because you gave him something too heavy to control.

When he gets older, make some swords out of PVC pipe covered in pipe insulation and duck tape. Then he CAN beat the hell out of his friends and it's damn fun to boot! We used to play a game that was basically capture the flag + elimination tag. At night. It's a riot.
>>
>>896838
IMO you should make your kid a boffer sword like you see the LARPers running around with. Less likelihood of him hurting himself, others, or shit around him. Just some PVC with pipe insulation wrapped around it, and duct taped.
>>
here's another thought; go to the local hardware store and see if they have any big yardsticks. You sound like you're from the UK, so... Good luck. If you have a Lowes nearby, their paint department has oversized yardsticks you could just sand the paint off of and be most of the way to your silly bugger's sword!
>>
>>900710
My daughter isn't even 2 and she can easily pick up 5 lb weights and wield them foam pool swords. She whacks me in the head and rams my fucking ear whenever I'm sitting in front of my computer.
>>
>>896838
>I want to make my 4 year old son a wooden sword.

Sword ----> 4 year old son
Really?
Did you get hit on the head when you were 4 yrs old?
>>
>>897261
Yeah, you were in jr high, Not 4yrs old!
>>
>>901565

It's a fucking stick.

The kid will pick up other sticks anyway.
>>
>>901571
This. As long as the child is taught not to beat other kids in the skull with it, there should be no problem.
>>
>>901565
Don't you have kids? My kids are 3 and 6 and of course they have wooden swords! It's about parenting to make sure nobody gets hurt...
>>
My son had two swords around that age, one balsa wood from a craft store the other is I think beech. Both just fine, the balsa a bit more fun to make because of the ease he was able to help a little bit since no heavy power tool, just a dremmel
>>
Look up some of the basic larp weapons online. I did a few up with PVC, a pool noodle and duct tape and my son loved them. Bonus side is I can use them Ans when I miss and hit him I don't feel as awful haha
>>
File: IMG_20151114_080705.jpg (2MB, 3200x2368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151114_080705.jpg
2MB, 3200x2368px
i like to make wooden toy swords for fun.

i always use pine for the blade because it's so easy to work and carve and it's also very light for younger children.

i use hardwood for the guard and pommel.

sorry for the tape on the handle, i didn't have time to rewrap it properly.
>>
File: IMG_20151114_082614.jpg (2MB, 3200x2368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151114_082614.jpg
2MB, 3200x2368px
>>901725
a couple more i started the other day but haven't had the time to finish yet.
>>
amasing i want some of those
>>
I'd rather you make him a foam one. They don't have to look back, and he is less likely to hurt or damage things with it.
But hey, if you want to get sued by your neighbors and have your flatscreen smashed, go ahead!
>>
>>902447
*look bad
>>
>>902447
>anon will never know the complete rapture of living in the country where your closest neighbor is 5 miles away

heh heh enjoy the nannystate friend
>>
God, reading the replies to this thread make me want to move out of the US.

When did we become such a security state?
>>
>>896838
Me and my brothers had wooden swords when we were kids, never broke each other noses or our parents TV.

We also had toy bow and arrows and those sticky dart guns, we all still have both our eyes.

I guess the idiots are just out breeding those who can raise children.
>>
>>902673
A 4 yr old really has a grip on reality and self awareness?
I guess the idiots are just breeding super geniuses.
>>
>>900167

willamette valley?

i can second this. makes good bows too.
>>
>>902763
>>902763
>A 4 yr old really has a grip on reality and self awareness?
Of course they do. Not as much as adult, of course, but they're not infants. Don't you remember when you were four?
>>
>>902763
>idiot.
>>
>>902763
>Viking Wooden Sword
>3 years up
>Keep away from fire and faggots.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Viking-Wooden-Sword-Scabbard-Accessory/dp/B000LRSKHC/ref=sr_1_6?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1447843563&sr=1-6&keywords=wooden+sword
>>
>>903105
Not that guy but, not really no. Do you? I barely even remember primary school.
>>
I put a metal rod in the middle of mine so that it can be properly balanced and give them a good sense of a sword's weight.

If you're not training them in the gladiatorial arts are you even a real parent?
>>
>>903128
I remember when I was two. IIRC people can typically recall some stuff from when they were three. But on the previous topic, you can have conversations with four year olds, and many can understand simple things like, "don't hit people because you might hurt them, and you'll get in trouble."
>>
TLDR; wooden swords are fine, people are just pussies
my father made me and my brother two swords out of pine when i was about 4-5 he is 3 years older than I. we had no trouble learning not to hit with full force swings and we never caused any serious damage to anyone/anything. sure a cut or bruise here or there but how are you going to learn if you dont make mistakes. it seems many in our generation seem to try and force kids to be safe and learn from the mistakes we made rather than learn for themselves, whereas our parents kinda took a step back and let us make our own mistakes then used them to teach us about the world.
>>
>>901725
>>901726
They look great. I'd love those as a child (or an adult)
>>
>>903566
>whereas our parents kinda took a step back and let us make our own mistakes
Yeah, sure it's all fun until someone looses an eye.

You dumbfucks have never worked in an emergency room or are EMT first responders.
Small children can be devastated by wounds that would not bother older children/adults.
Is it too retarded to try to protect your child from proventable injuries?
You guys suck ass!
>>
>>904390

Retarded kids will find something to fuck themselves up with. A 4 year old should know not to hit people with swords. He'd be more likely to fall on some stair and bust his head open.

I would imagine OP knows his kid isn't one of those retards that would hit someone in the head with a sword. 4 year olds aren't babies, they should be able to learn things by that age, a parent should be able to teach it basic things like don't hit shit with weapons.
>>
>>903130
>If you're not training them in the gladiatorial arts are you even a real parent?
Maybe. As long as you teach them some kind of valuable skll you're doing alright. Just so happens that fighting is more versatile.
>>
I used an old kitchen chair to make my sons some wooden swords. The two long pieces of wood that extend from the back of the chair all the way down to the floor worked really well. The were already roughly sword shaped, so I used a table saw to make a bevel, then used a belt sander to round out where the handle would be. After that, I sanded the whole thing down to remove all the varnish and any sharp edges or splinters. I used a small two-by-four scrap to make a guard by drilling out a hole and cutting it in half I shaped the hole with a file to match the sword, then used wood glue and clamps to attach it. I added some finishing nails to it to make sure it wouldn't move around. Finally I painted the blade with silver paint and the guard and handle with black paint and wrapped the handle in paracord.

I managed all this in a couple hours on my first try. So far, none of my three boys have managed to seriously hurt each other with any of the swords I made, but there have been a few tears shed. Nothing a "Get over it" didn't fix.
>>
File: IMG_1022.jpg (206KB, 1477x502px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1022.jpg
206KB, 1477x502px
accross my room is this one leaning against my wall. It is made from two parts that are one inside another and fixated by some nails. does the job pretty well. I dont know wich type of wood was used, but I presume its some coinfer wood.
>>
File: ds41FuN.png (426KB, 578x526px) Image search: [Google]
ds41FuN.png
426KB, 578x526px
>>897207
<---this is you
>>
File: E100_A40c201De0.jpg (58KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
E100_A40c201De0.jpg
58KB, 640x480px
>>897285
> tfw this guy will never be my dad
>>
Your kid will get nothing out of training with a sword. I need a diy tutorial on bjj stuff.
>>
File: 1416350805741.gif (1MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1416350805741.gif
1MB, 200x200px
>>897927
>>
>>901565
Is it hard for your children to hear things from inside that bubble you keep them in?
>>
>>897207
>>897207
Hell yeah Bernie 2016 weed lmao
>>
>>896838
>>896840
Honestly OP, swords are dangerous as fuck, even the wooden ones.

If you do still intend to partake in this endeavour, at the very least watch this video. http://youtu.be/Q_RpbaUU7NI
>>
>>897211

But slingshots are weapons and have been used as such trough history.
>>
>>897285

You might as well make him a steel sword, would be easier to work with.
>>
>>901565
Danger is relative
>Be 7 years old in third world
>Gun crime huge issue
>Playing 'guns' with friends
>L shaped sticks and bang noises
>Aunt sees and is horrified
>Takes away our sticks and replaces them with straight ones
>"Play 'swords' instead"
>We do and have fun
>>901726
Niice, you should sell them. Flesh out the grip a bit more though.
>>
>>903127
>It broke on the first swing by a 9 year old
They don't make Viking swords like they used to
>>
>>901574
>It's about parenting to make sure nobody gets hurt...
I'm sure parenting skills will help when your 4yr old trips, running and falls on his sword. It doesn't take a penetrating wound to rupture a spleen.
Also, what if another child gets a hold of his sword during a "nigger moment" that undisciplined other peoples children so frequently do.
Guarding against preventable injuries should be a responsible parents duty.
>>
>>908008
That's why you also build them shields
>>
>>908058
>http://www.amazon.co.uk/Viking-Wooden-Sword-Scabbard-Accessory/dp/B000LRSKHC/ref=sr_1_6?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1447843563&sr=1-6&keywords=wooden+sword

/thread
>>
>>896838
drill a hole vertically through it and fill it with lead, instruct him to hit his friends hard
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.