[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Small Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 72

File: 1438559220563.png (266KB, 2502x3344px) Image search: [Google]
1438559220563.png
266KB, 2502x3344px
Thread that contain small insignificant questions that don't need their own threads, here is a thread where they can all go.
>>
File: Fotolia_11567534_SubscriptionS.jpg (46KB, 284x385px) Image search: [Google]
Fotolia_11567534_SubscriptionS.jpg
46KB, 284x385px
>>895059
Can /diy/ tip me some methods to destroy a fair amount of letter-papers without having a paper grinder ?
Any lawnmower or something ? Letting it under autumn rain ?
>>
>>895061
Burning is obviously the easiest. If you have a good fan over your oven you could throw them in there on self-clean.
>>
>>895061
Burning it ? It'll probably be annoying depending where you live but we ain't in summer anymore.

People in my area burn fallen leaves in late Autumn. Pretty sure it shouldn't be a problem
>>
>>895061
Shove them in a dustbin, add water?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i1CZC0TgvNI
>>
>>895073
>>895072
burning is not as easy as most people think
if you throw a pile into an incinerator usually the outer pages turn to carbon and actually protect the inner pages which can't get any oxygen to burn.
adding fuel won't help unless you are a madman and soak the pages in oxidiser.
to burn them properly you have to scrumple up each page individually to get a good airflow the whole thing.
burning sounds fun, gets pretty tedious.
>>
>>895101
check with your local law but burning isn't that difficult put them in a bin, ignite. let burn a little. stir with a large stick/branch
>>
File: IMG_20151029_114814.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151029_114814.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hey /diy/, I dropped my favorite stone pipe. It has some sentimental value since I picked up while bumming around the Yucatan a few years ago.

Is there anything I can use to repair and still have it smokable? Or is it just a decor piece now?
>>
>>895102
>stir with a large stick/branch
great way to get your hair and clothes stinking.
you can stand there stirring for fucking ages and still find bits lying around the bottom. terrible if you have an incinerator outside because any shitty bits left over soak up the rainwater and rust your bin. plus you are left with a load of papier mache at the end of it.
>>
>>895061
Bleach.

Larger container
Add paper
Dump in a gallon of bleach
Top with water so paper is covered
Wait a week
Paper slurry

Bonus: Form into new sheets of paper on window screen.
>>
>>895107
Probably a decor piece. Just use superglue.

Otherwise, pin it and find a non toxic high heat glue.
>>
>>895107
super glue might work, i wouldnt try tho if you are fine with using a different pipe, because you'll regret fucking it up even more
>>
>>895061
take nail scissors and cut them up, but make at least 100 parallel cuts a page
>>
>>895127
Super glue won't work, I know that much.

I was thinking some kind of epoxy, but I don't know one that's both high heat and food grade.
>>
>>895107
Find some really thin glue.

By thin I mean almost the consistency of water. Apply to the parts where the pieces fit together.

Then find a clamp and clamp the pieces together. NOT TOO TIGHT!! Just enough pressure to hold the pieces together.

Let the glue set for about 24 hours.

Also maybe you look for some ceramic glue. That might work.
>>
>>895149
Here you go pipebro

Found this on Google for ya.

It shows a picture of a coffee cup glued together so I'm assuming it is food safe.

And that is a good brand as well. I use that brand at my job.
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 247x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 247x500px
>>895152
Might help if I posted the picture!
>>
>>895154
Have you used it before?
>>
hey /diy/,
do you know of any books that I could download in pdf form about:
the basics of car engines, how they work and maybe how to repair them?
thanks for your time.
>>
>>895175
Nah but it's a reputable brand so all I can do is suggest it.

I mean it shows a coffee mug on the packaging so i'm assuming the handle was glued back on. Which is a similar material and application as your pipe.

But remember to clamp after glue. If you just did glue it wouldn't hold tightly.
>>
>>895253
I can't find anything on the heat rating for it, so I'm gonna skip. Thanks though.
>>
>>895250
Not a book, but this might help.
www.artofmanliness com/2015/10/15/how-a-cars-engine-works/
>>
File: RC.png (309KB, 704x288px) Image search: [Google]
RC.png
309KB, 704x288px
What are my options for joining small tubes/bars of metal together, smaller that 1cm. Pic related looks like they would have had to use a TIG welder, I've been trained to use them but don't have access to one, only my stick welder. Perhaps brazing or soldering?
>>
>>895407
solder that shit
>>
>>895408
I've only really soldered copper electrical connections? Are there guides on what metals will bond with what solder?
>>
File: 1445433657234.jpg (3MB, 2664x4304px) Image search: [Google]
1445433657234.jpg
3MB, 2664x4304px
>>895408
This, but forget the the steel and go with brass tube, which along with tin sheeting, is my go to build material for my robotics. Very versatile, easy to hand work, and easy to correct if something is out of alignment (desolder instead of having to cut a weld) and should be strong enough for your application. Try to use square or rectangular section so you can lap thin steel over the sides for reinforcement. This will be important in your frame as it may take shocks and bumps while in motion, and solder can be brittle.

Thin steel can be sourced from aerosol cans. Empty them, cut the top and end caps off, cut along the seam of the tin, then roll it flat.

ll you need is an iron that can dump the heat (pic related-ish, posted in a soldering iron recommendation thread here >>891261, but this is what can be done). Masking tape can be used to control solder flow, yeah it will lift off with the heat but the sticky left behind prevents the solder flowing beyond that line. I give all completed parts a bath in some acetone and a handful of rice; chuck it in a tin and shake it around for a bit to clean off the sticky, and any left over flux. Your completed frame will be too big for that so a brass bristled brush dipped in acetone will give you a good finish without scratching the shit out of everything. After your frame is done and nicely cleaned (but before you start adding innards to it) give the whole thing a few coats of clear coat (or colour if you prefer) to stop it tarnishing, or leave it naked if you're up for an aged look after a few months of tarnish.

I also urge you to get sketchup and lay this thing out first, this will let you make sure it all fits together without getting half way through the job and finding something won't work (which used to cripple my shit till I learned2sketchup).

Happy to answer any questions you may have on any of this, I'd love to see that little beast brought to life.
>>
This probably belongs on /fa/, but I think it'd be better to ask here.
I'd like to one day be able to make my own clothes. Is this advisable or should I just forget about it? I plan to learn how to sew/modify clothes beforehand, but the idea of one day being somewhat self-sufficient enough to make my own clothes (sans shoes) is pretty appealing.
>>
File: Capture.png (26KB, 1038x781px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
26KB, 1038x781px
>>895424
And to be clear, this is what I mean by lapping, steel reinforcement soldered on either side of the parts. I think laminating might be the word for this. Whatever.

Also, I really like that car, and I'm prolly gunna make one as well. Race ya.
>>
>>895426
Not that hard to do but ask /cgl/ instead, they know much more about it.
>>
File: wyh.jpg (1MB, 1864x3256px) Image search: [Google]
wyh.jpg
1MB, 1864x3256px
>>895424
And just so you get an idea of the mechanical complexity possible with this method.

I'll stop now.
>>
File: 20151029_205509.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20151029_205509.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
Mounting bracket needs tightened and I can't get the canopy trim loose to get to it. Installation manual says to twist it counter-clockwise until it releases. A forum post says it's reverse threaded and needs to be turned clockwise. I can get it about a quarter turn in either direction before it won't budge any further. Hunter type 2 fan. Any suggestions?
>>
>>895428
>>895424
Thanks man, I appreciate you sharing your experience. Where do you get your brass from?

As for sketchup I've never done anything like this so I think I'll just attach everything to a flat metal base then build the frame over it afterwards and feel out what has to be done, I don't have a clear picture in my head how everything's supposed to go so there's not much use sketching it from the start. I know RC cars get pretty technical with their steering and suspension but I think for my first one I won't have any suspension and keep the steering completely vertical and simple, no dif etc. Then I can make more complex ones and sketch them out.
>>
File: Capture.png (121KB, 998x714px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
121KB, 998x714px
>>895445
K&S Precision Metals supply the stock, and distribute through most decent hobby and RC shops. I have also seen them selling in larger art and craft stores. They are US based, so if they are here in Australia, they are definitely everywhere in the US (assuming assumptions). The nifty part about their stock is it all slides snugly into itself, which means making reinforced bars by sliding one size into the next bigger size, then soldering the ends into each other is a piece of piss. Handy for suspension mounts and chassis rails if you ever get that far.

> As for sketchup I've never done anything like this so I think I'll just attach everything to a flat metal base then build the frame over it afterwards and feel out what has to be done
Solid idea, and one I was going to recommend till I ran out of characters. Start with your floor pan and build up. Just don't be afraid of sketchup, I had 0 CAD experience and it took me about 3 days to get proficient, and after a month I was running up complex shit like pic related. Again, all this is just tin sheeting and brass rod, and the standardised tube and wall thicknesses make this easy as pie.

But yeah, do some basic shit, see if this build technique works for you, adjust your workflow as needed.
>>
File: bits.jpg (2MB, 3456x3424px) Image search: [Google]
bits.jpg
2MB, 3456x3424px
..and while I'm here, have some some bits that might be relevant to your interests for some inspiration. These are prototypes of parts that were later refined and deployed elsewhere.

1) Servo bracket; Soldered aerosol can box with a steel wire bent to act as a retaining clip, can be soldered or screwed wherever needed.
2) Rotating platform; This ended up as a neck with a reduction gearbox on the platform engaging a ring gear on the brass shaft. Brass slides right into bearing nice and snugly, standardised sizes are your friend.
3) Leg for a biped; Mechanically it does the job but all shades of fail because I didn't leave room for servos and had no way to disassemble the ankle (because it was made before I started planning out jobs in sketchup ;) ), at it's core though it is all universal joints. Nut is soldered into the end of the brass retainer on the upper leg, nice snug fit of sections provides pivots for the "hip" section and the "pelvis". Note the lapped steel over the pivot on the top of the thigh, added to reinforce the small section of tube that forms the pivot to the end of the brass rod. Parts of this can easily be modified to become a steering control arm and other core suspension parts.
4) Bell cranks and lifters; Again, sliding fit of the tubing is utilised to create a crank, shaft goes through the central bar in the second part of my pic in >>895424 and forms part of a servo driven lifting section. Long, M3 screws have their heads cut off, threaded section is then soldered into the end of the tube to allow the cranks to be bolted on (because again, standardised sizes, everything fits)

The reason I sing the praises of this method wherever I can is because standardisation, that is literally it. It is so damn simply to make components and pivots, all you need to do is learn to wrangle a soldering iron and you're in.
>>
>>895442
Are you sure it's threaded on there? That sounds like it's slotted in. If so it should come free after you turn it with just a little downward pressure.
>>
how do I get started with electronics? any youtube playlists to help or books?
>>
I'm fixing up a house that I can't live in and I don't want my tools stolen. I was thinking about getting those harborfreight cameras they claim you can watch on your phone.

I guess the house would need wireless internet first?

Can I actually watch them on my phone remotely?

Would these assholes just steal my cameras?

I'm not asking /g because I know nothing about electronics.
>>
>>895110
>>895072
Burning in a metal fire pit takes a while but is effective. Took me about 3 hrs to get ride of a couple thousand papers.
>>
I want to cast toy soldiers out of recycled aluminum. I already have ingots but I can't figure out how to get a good mold, especially for their very thin rifles.
>>
I want to make greeting cards with sound, a la https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCrY0HtEwtQ, but looking online, I found the USB programmer to be $50 (http://www.soundexpressiongreetings.com/programmed-sound-chips-with-USB.html). This seems like a high price for something so simple, but I can't seem to find it anywhere else, so I was just looking for some opinions on it.
>>
why do tesla coils have an air core
and why is the secondary so tall
doesn't that make it shitty?
>>
File: DSCN0627.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0627.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
>>896049

Tends to be one use moulds - Sand Casting or Investment casting.

Sand casting is easiest because Investment casting requires either a wax pattern or the destruction of the original and also needs a high temperature Kiln.

Either buy some Oil-bonded Sand or make some Green Sand out of Sand (obviously), Bentonite Clay and water.

Expect detail retention to be between 80-90% using this method, with clean up and grinding work after. Generally anything with very small details is a ball ache, particularly with Aluminium as well.

Does it have to be Aluminium? You get better results with less work using Silicone moulds and Tin/Lead/Bismuth or Antimony Alloys.

The figure you posted is almost certainly a lost wax casting. Pic I posted is one of my sand cast Bronze soldiers so you can see what I mean.
>>
>>896285
>Bronze
You cast bronze? What sort of setup did you use?
>>
Is there a reliable way to restore mineral content to distilled water? I had an idea to grind up a Centrum vitamin tablet and add it to however much seems to be the best amount of water for it. Are there superior alternatives?
>>
>>13777050
>>13777060
>>13777103
>>13777484
Coming here from /o/ I had an incident today when my handbrake slipped causing me to tap a yellow pole and a hit and run months ago that left a big blue mark on my front bumper. How would I go about removing these marks? I have access to an extensive home workshop.
>>
File: IMG_20151101_180033.jpg (951KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151101_180033.jpg
951KB, 2048x1536px
>>896553
Oops didn't see messed up the cross board quoting. Check pic related.
>>
File: IMG_0045.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0045.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
How do I go about dyeing these bleach stains to the color of the nylon carpet? (At least, I think I am somewhat certain it's nylon.)

I have tried test dyeing with "Rit" dye and using crayons, but I can't seem to figure out how to correctly portion the dye to get it to even remotely match the original carpet color.
>>
>>896571
I should also mention that I live in an apartment, and since the maintenance department for my apartment complex, along with a member of the leasing office staff, is going to be inspecting the heating system of all of the apartments in my building this Friday, I don't quite feel comfortable with cutting out and replacing the stained areas, and can't get a professional who will fix the problem discreetly.
>>
>>896527
What mineral content do you want? As in, which minerals do you want specifically?
>>
>>896571
>>896574
I'm not entirely sure this is a good idea, but you might be better off either bleaching the entire thing or dyeing it all a darker color. Depending on the shade which you choose, it might not be noticed.
>>
>>896700
If not the typical levels you find in clean, potable water then whatever the healthiest amount to add to water is without causing an overload of minerals.
>>
>>896702
It really varies widely by water source. http://www.mgwater.com/mgrank.shtml Is it for drinking?

Just guesstimating, I would recommend about 15-20mg of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) per liter. 2-4mg of potassium chloride per liter (can be found as sodium-free salt). Anywhere from 20-120 mg of calcium chloride (can be found as road de-icer, but I don't know how food-safe this would be). You may notice some calcium carbonate precipitate out, but I doubt it. I'd say add around 10mg of magnesium sulfate heptahydrate (epsom salt), but don't overdo it, because too much sulfate makes the water taste bad and can have a laxative effect. Taste test it a liter at a time before you make a huge amount at once, of course. If it tastes bad, then change the ratios. Please someone double check my math; I'm pretty sure I did it right, but I always like a second opinion.
>>
>>896706
Yes, for drinking. I'm trying to purify water for storage and use in large quantities and I have heard that distilled water can be unhealthy for various reasons, and on top of that there are a lot of heavy metals in our local tap water (enough to be a health risk). I figure by distilling it and adding my own minerals I can bypass any of those issues.
>>
>>896708
If you're eating food as well, distilled water isn't a problem. You can get electrolytes and minerals and such from your food.

If this is a disaster/survival cache just include some bottles of multimineral supplements as pills… they'll keep.
>>
>>896719
Ah, awesome, thanks.
>>
File: Brass Bear.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
Brass Bear.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>896292
Aluminium, Brass, Bronze, Cast Iron

>What sort of setup did you use?

Just a small furnace burning Anthracite using a Hair Dryer. Nothing complicated at all. Although I use Graphite Crucibles.
>>
>>895998
They put something like that in at a place I used to work.

It requires internet for the cameras to connect to, and if you don't password them anyone can watch though them (I don't know if they can also control them; maybe). So password them.

You can watch them through any internet connected device. It just requires the cameras' web address (and the password).

If someone is robbing the place, they're going to take everything not nailed down. And if they have time, they'll pry up some of the nailed down stuff. My uncle had pipes and wiring stolen out of a house he was working on. Not materials, I mean installed stuff, for the scrap metal.

My advice is to invest in good locks (which still won't stop the determined) and take your tools with you if you can. Otherwise, put them away out of sight before you leave, like in the attic or the closets. Most theft is opportunistic. If it looks like there's probably nothing good, or it'll be hard work to get it, they're less likely to try.

Interior surveillance doesn't really do a lot to get thieves arrested. It's more to prove there was a theft so you can file the police report and insurance claim with less hassle. Exterior surveillance is a deterrent. But a fake camera or a window sticker from a home monitoring system is as good at scaring off attempts as the real thing.
>>
So I have a leak in the camper shell on my truck. I know next to nothing about cars or making things watertight. I'm going to try to figure out where exactly the leak is and keep researching this elsewhere, but any advice is appreciated.
>>
File: agf.png (219KB, 987x641px) Image search: [Google]
agf.png
219KB, 987x641px
Pic related is a tray for a birdcage I'm looking to build. It measures 600x400x40, and I'd need a wall thickness no thinner than 3mm. Would vacuum forming something this big be in the realms of home process? I broadly understand how the process works and the tooling involved but have 0 practical knowledge. This will be very once off and I don't want to fuck around with it if its going to take two weeks to get it right is all.
>>
I need to brick up a second entrance to my woodburber, the hole is round. I was wondering if there was some way to keep it round and fill it (gas safe) or if i have to knock it out to the next whole bricks and brick it up
Thanks in advance !
>>
File: 2015-11-03.jpg (72KB, 443x591px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-03.jpg
72KB, 443x591px
Not a /diy/ regular, so not sure if this is the right board for this.

Does anybody know how to clean up this rough spot on my new left boot?
>>
>>897206
how you gonna have never heard of shoe polish? shit
>>
File: 12V.png (12KB, 387x181px) Image search: [Google]
12V.png
12KB, 387x181px
think I'm just being dumb as it's 6am but It= 0.8A and I want to work out I1. using current division gives us I1=0.8*15/10 =1.2A right? but the answer is 0.4A
Where am I going wrong?
>>
>>897661
figured it out
>>
>>897661

never even heard of ''current division''. by using voltage drop, you can see there's (0.8 x 10) volts lost across the first 10-ohm resistor, leaving 4V on the second, so current is 4/10 amp.
>>
>>897670
current drop is pretty neet for more complex circuits, basicallty Ix=It*Rt/Rx
my problem was I was including the 10ohm resister before the split into Rt which was giving me 15ohms instead of 5ohms
>>
>>896998
Find hole
Coat in RV roof sealant

Done.

>>896571
You really don't. It will look like shit no matter what. Having it professionally done will be more than your security deposit.

>>896564
Basically fine sanding. Try a magic eraser first.
It's a very fine abrasive.

>>895998
Cameras won't do shit. If the house is close to neighbors, tell them you're fixing the place up and to call the cops/you if they see anyone on your property. Also chain your tool box down.

>>895426
Strongly suggest you start with minor alterations then step up to buying patterns. It's not very hard to do at all.

>>895107
Try Sodium Silicate.
>>
>>895250
Yeah man, butt loads available on torrent. Just type in mechanic or automotive or something into piratebay
>>
>>897212
Kids these days
>>
>>896776
Thanks, that helps. I was hoping a recording camera would be a strong deterrent. I'm right outside of a rough urban area that I think they would know the difference between a fake camera and a real one.
>>897999
My best guess is it was the neighbor so I was hoping cameras would help. If it wasn't the neighbor someone with testicles the size of an elephant kicked down a garage door hard enough to crack the frame and dent a steel door with a house about 15 feet away in direct line of sight. And its not a crackhead area.
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>>895107
A little bit of this around the affected areas should do the trick.
>>
File: SP-UP-8-2.jpg (27KB, 354x244px) Image search: [Google]
SP-UP-8-2.jpg
27KB, 354x244px
What would be the easiest and most discreet way to cut through a U channel sign post? I was think I may be able to get through it with bolt cutters.
>>
>>898149
Drive over it with ab steel reinforced bumper
>>
>>898149

Portable hydraulic shear.

Or just run into the stop sign, grab it, and bail.
>>
>>898149
>I was think I may be able to get through it with bolt cutters.

No

Also stop stealing signs, it costs the city money.
>>
>>898149
don't steal pls
>>
File: weight.jpg (22KB, 324x324px) Image search: [Google]
weight.jpg
22KB, 324x324px
Oh good that this thread exists.

So I have a homegym - nothing fancy, power rack and weight rack.

I also changed apartments and now live in some building from 1860s. The structural ceiling is wooden, the building is so old there were no standards on how much weight it can bare and there's no way to tell without dismantling the floors (costly).

So for the last month I was starting to get afraid that I'll fall through the floor while doing deadlifts +250kg concentrated on a small area (my feet) on a wooden floor doesn't sound smart.

So I bought an MDF board 2000mm/2000mm/10mm in hopes that it will evenly distribute the weight across several beams and all directions. At least that's my hope.

Did I do good? Looking at it now 10mm looks flimsy.

2000mm == about 78"
10mm == 0.4"

Picture related.
>>
Will aluminium powder from grinding aluminium foil with a coffee grinder be good enough to make MnO2 thermite?
>>
>>898149
Don't steal signs you cunt. Those things aren't cheap, and they cost the tax payers money.

Plus they make you responsible for anyone breaking the law. People have gotten man slaughter charges for stealing stop signs.
>>
>>898217
Should be fine.

>>898255
No.
>>
>>898217

No MDF is garbage. Use 1/2"-3/4" plywood and some foam backer. And don't drop it although the wood structure would probably take it just fine.
>>
>>898272
How pure / fine should the aluminium powder be?
>>
File: heavy-duty-power-rack-ii_orig_7.jpg (37KB, 600x525px) Image search: [Google]
heavy-duty-power-rack-ii_orig_7.jpg
37KB, 600x525px
>>898273

Not a structural engineer but I thought that wood (and plywood) and worse characteristics then MDF. MDF is isotropic and should distribute the weight more evenly then wood.

I'm not afraid of dropping the stuff - I do deadlifts on the pegs attached to the power rack (pic related), my only fear is what happens when I'm already standing with 150+ kgs on a very small area, I thought that MDF should be fine for that.
>>
So you drop the plates on that shitty pegs? with nothing under?
>>
>>898307

Basically, yeah.

They're not as shitty as they look i.e I'm pretty sure they won't break under the bar the only thing that sucks is that it's somewhat uncomfortable when compared to starting off the floor.

Also I don't drop them - slow ascent so that I don' t do nothing to the floor.
>>
>>898282
MDF is junk.

Plywood is what the pros use.
>>
What's a good, cheap metal cutting fluid?
I'll be using it for 7075 T6 aluminum, if it matters.
>>
>>895259
>heat rating
the worst that's going to happen is you'll end up where you are now
>>
>>898389
WD40 or tapmagic (like $2/4oz bottle)
>>
>>898217
10 is a bit flimsy, 18 would be perfect. But cost wise, its cheaper to use plywood for structural type jobs. But again 18mm (3/4 inch) is your best bet. Failing that, you could always get another sheet of 10mm mdf the same as the one you already have, spread some glue and sit one ontop of the other.
>>
>>898281
Go and look at one of the thousands of guides online you dense cunt. You want us to make and burn it for you as well..?
>>
>>898468

Getting a 2m/2m sheet was a pita, would it work for 4 1m1 ones and gluing that to the existing mdf?
>>
I know this is a stupid question but whatever.

Can you melt rocks and pour them into a mold just like people do with metals and such?

I mean, Google tells me lava is a liquid at 700 to 1,200 °C, so if your furnace can melt copper, you could melt rocks too correct? Can you treat it just like you would molten copper, bronze, ect... and cast shit in green sand?

Logically I want to say yes, but I have never heard of anyone doing it.
>>
>>898646
You can melt rocks into lava using an Arc Furnace.

I seriously doubt it pours well enough to fill a greensand mould. I'd imagine it behaves more like molten glass, i.e. it'll fill a one part mould.

I think it'll look like a porous mess of slag as well, because it probably needs a fuckton of pressure to form a rock like object again.
>>
Can I use a potato, or other organic, product as a transistor?
I make guitar pedals for fun, and a friend suggested using the most metal vegetable (root) for some natural fuzz, but I am unsure of the possibilities of this.
>>
>>898666
Transistors are generally tricky to make, no matter what material. Make diodes instead, electrolytic rectifiers to be exact.
>>
There's an opening with my fathers's employer for a CNC operator. They make plastic injection molds.
I've known everyone who works there since I was 5, so I know I can get the job (thanks, nepotism!)

Problem is that I haven't done anything CNC/CAD/CAM related since I was in trade school 9 years ago. Anything anyone can recommend to brush up before I turn in my application?
>>
>>898524
I'm asking about MnO2 thermite, on which you can't find shit online. Thanks, anon.
>>
im trying to replace a fluorescent tube bulb in my kitchen and the one currently in the fixture is a t12 which arent as efficient or used as much anymore (i read anyway but otherwise no idea).
As long as the wattage, pins and length are the same, can i replace them with a T8 safely? i know i sound stupid but im really clueless and i dont know anything about these bulbs.

Also, if i have a coat hanger plaque, would i be safe just to hang it on anchored screws(its not large enough to have both screws on a stud) or would it be better if i spaced anchors, drilled through the hanger and just screwed it into the wall anchors for better support? (super newbie)
>>
File: pl132-creative-acrylic-mirror.jpg (33KB, 573x548px) Image search: [Google]
pl132-creative-acrylic-mirror.jpg
33KB, 573x548px
What's an adhesive that I can use on the back of mirror acrylic that won't mar the finish? I make small accessories and usually use acrylic cement and it's usually a toss up if it roughens the back finish or not.
>>
File: 20151106_222144.jpg (882KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20151106_222144.jpg
882KB, 2560x1440px
Hello!

Does anymind knoqing how i can open this?.
>>
>>895426
Definitely learn how to do basic sewing, regardless of going whole hog and making your own clothes. Being ably to repair clothes is a really useful talent
>>
Quick question - I'm mounting a disc on a servo motor with its center axis parallel to the axis of rotation. I need a quick a dirty way to figure out how the weight on this disc (pressing down on the axis of rotation) will affect the torque. My guess is that it depends on the coefficient of friction of some internal gear, but I have no idea what sort of ballpark value to use. I'm using an all-metal gear mini servo rated for 1.5kgfcm at minimum voltage of 4.8v.
>>
>>895059
How the fuck do you use a bathroom fan and heater

Should I be running the exhaust fan during the shower?
Should I run the heater during the shower?

Ive never actually used the bathroom fans ever. Now I live where there is a ceiling heater. I dont want to start a fire or whatever.
>>
Hey guys. I just bought an older concrete saw. Any ideas of how to make a weatherproof insulated carrying case? I live in northern Michigan so it gets cold in the winter and I would like to keep it fairly warm.
>>
File: image.jpg (277KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
277KB, 960x720px
How the fuck do I fix this? Please help I'm desperate
>>
>>899697
The fan helps remove the humid air and prevents the windowless (usually) bathroom from turning into a mildewy mess.

Just turn on the fan when you are done then go dry off, cool down, whatever you do, just make sure the door to the bathroom/shower area is left open a crack. Come back and turn it off when you are done.

You could use the fan while showering but they are always loud. The heater is mostly useless though I have used mine to get the shower area extra piping hot while running a steamy bath to help treat some congestion. They always smell a bit like burning dust because the dust builds up on them while in disuse, they usually are not burning the house down.
>>
>>899733
What am I looking at?
>>
>>899777
Long shot here but.. Bellows or what's left of them?
>>
>>895107
Umm what about some clay to put it back together then remove the stem and bake it in the oven?.?
>>
>>898945
The thing to the left of the black wire looks like an out-of-focus latch.

Stick an out-of-focus screwdriver underneath it from what's the bottom in the photo, and gently prise it up and over the inner bit. There'll probably be more out-of-focus latches on the other sides of the black object.

If you've not got an out-of-focus screwdriver, get a regular one and squint.
>>
>>899700
Insulation works well for people because we generate heat to replace lost heat. Insulation slows that. Unless you're going to make some space age shit, the insulation will do nothing for a saw. Come morning, the saw will be as cold in the case as it is outside.

So your attempt at keeping the saw warm in a case is pointless and counter-productive if you bring it into a heated environment.

>>898936
They make adhesives especially for mirrors to prevent them from de-silvering. It should work on acrylic too.

>>898905
The pins aren't the same as the bulbs have a smaller diameter. You have to update the fixture.

One end into the stud, one end with a moly bolt.

>>898646
Rocks have varying compositions but yes to melting, no to pouring.
>>
File: 1445056860827.jpg (77KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
1445056860827.jpg
77KB, 600x399px
sup /qtddtot/, keen to set up a bunch of shared space across two hard disks (non raid) in a HP N40L, running media server 2011.

> TL;DR, How does /diy/ set up their shares?

Plan is for 7 directories to start with. 3 media (TV, music, movies), two personal, one torrent, and one public. I have set up appropriate user accounts to assign access per directory and am planning size limits per directory. Got it for a home environment because the hardware was dirt cheap, but I have fuck all xp with server toys and may as well form some good habits on my first build.

In terms of access control and space management policies, is it "best practice" to use a directory, or dedicated partitions on the hard disks, for each allotment of space? I anticipate the media storage space will grow from their current sizes, and while discrete directories per sharespace makes this a non issue until the host HDD fills, my gut is telling me partitions per sharespace is more secure (user can encrypt if they want). I can resize the partitions easily enough if needed down the line.

Wut do?
>>
>>899761
I cleaned it out and used it during my shower this morning.

The heater is very worthless, but the fan did very well to clean up the bathroom
>>
>>899697
it removes moisture, the heater is for heat.

contractors call it a fart fan. You can figure out its use with the word itself.
>>
>>895259
JB Weld bruh
>>
File: myphonecamerasuks.jpg (1MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
myphonecamerasuks.jpg
1MB, 1520x2688px
Well fuck I just found this thread after I posted a thread, must of scrolled right past it. Anyways, I'll just copy and paste

I recently tried "making" a desk out of an Ikea Kitchen countertop and Ikea legs, specifically the Karlby walnut 74' inch and Olov legs. I put one leg on each corner and one roughly in the middle for support. Unfortunately though it wobbled a bit so I removed both legs on one side and put a filing cabinet underneath for rigidity. It wobbles less but I'd like to eliminate it completely. Would removing the legs completely and getting something like the Ikea trestle legs to put on the other side help? The desk is on carpet so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.
>>
>>900185
Cross bracing anon. Length wise. That is part of the reason why tables have skirts.

Basically you want something rigid to tie the legs together.
>>
File: 2015-11-10 19.02.24.jpg (112KB, 530x945px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-10 19.02.24.jpg
112KB, 530x945px
What is this thing at the end of the pipe? What do I put into Google to learn more about it?

Or maybe the actual problem I'm pondering: how bad is it to connect a washing machine to the water with a pipe that lacks this thing?
>>
>>900296

Well I definitely don't have the time, experience or tools to make a skirt or cross brace the legs myself, I think unless it's super simple. Although i dont think i could do it since the legs are metal and not wood. Thats why I asked if the ikea trestle legs would work since they do have some sort of bracing. Pix related
>>
>>900307
To answer my own question: after extended research, I conclude that it's a safety valve that blocks the water flow when the inner lining of the hose is pierced.
>>
File: 1280px-Possum_Park_Bunker_8a.jpg (322KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Possum_Park_Bunker_8a.jpg
322KB, 1280x960px
i recently learned that i'm going to lose my housing in the next 15 years or so, and this has inspired me to look into whether i could actually fulfill my plans to build an urban bunker (hiring/exchanging favors with qualified people for the technical or machine-heavy work, and doing the grunt work myself). i'm willing to spend several decades on it as long as i can get one floor livable within 10 years.

however, i have no idea how to find out what the limits for this project might be - there are plenty of general resources i'm planning on reading, but i don't know who to ask/where to look when it comes to how deep i can legally dig if there aren't pipes/wires in the way (i live in minneapolis, mn, but you don't have to do the research for me - i just need to know what direction to look).

does anyone know how i can find this out? i don't want to dream too big in these preliminary stages.
>>
File: water-heater-tampa.jpg (124KB, 303x664px) Image search: [Google]
water-heater-tampa.jpg
124KB, 303x664px
My hot water has crazy-low pressure. Is there some way to turn it up? Also how would I go about changing the times my electric hot water tank turns on?

For some reason I've failed to work out how to do it myself via google or just looking at the thing itself.
>>
>>898619
Not really. The idea is that the assembly resists bending to distribute the load, and at those joints, it's no stronger than the single sheet. And I assume you'd be standing where they meet in the middle, right? That's a problem. A 2x2m sheet laminated instead would be 4x as strong because it adds structural thickness where it's needed.
>>
>>895407
A bit late, I suppose, but if you're good, that's stick-weldable. I've stick welded 1/8" wire frames and 20-gauge sheet metal on occasion. Soldering would work, but IMO the nicest technique for something like that would be a MIG welder that can run smoothly at low settings. Point and click, and you can have a 70,000 psi connection in less than a second. Also consider that welded steel isn't just stronger than soldered copper; it's much, much tougher for a given weight. That may be a significant design consideration depending on what you'll be doing.
>>
>>900551

So I should laminate the 10mm thick MDF that I have? How do I do that?
>>
How do i level shift 0.8volts logic to 3.3volts?
>>
>>900546
>municipalities that make people use flex tubing

you could change the times using a water heater timer.
as far as the pressure issue, i cant really diagnosis it without being there
>>
>>900583
By using an IC called "level shifter" or "level translator". TI has those for 0.8V. NXP probably too.
Or you can use comparators or line receivers. Or basic NPN BJT inverters, if slow speed and iffy operation is acceptable. Or some PNP BJT contraption.
>>
>>900579
Get another 2x2m sheet (or preferably a thicker sheet of plywood or OSB), spread some glue on top (use a rubber roller or something to make a thin layer practical), set your current sheet on top, and set some weight plates on that until it dries. Alternately, something like a 1.5mx1.5m sheet centered on top of the 2x2 would be almost as good if that would be easier for you to get.
>>
File: voltage shifter.gif (11KB, 781x671px) Image search: [Google]
voltage shifter.gif
11KB, 781x671px
>>900583

you can use the top-left circuit. it will invert the signal, tho. the top-right will also invert, and you need to find a particular FET that turns on at 0.8V. most need 2V+ to turn on.

the bottom circuit is more complex but does not invert the signal, in case doing that is a problem.

obviously, you'd use a 3.3V supply, not the 5 or 9 in the drawing.
>>
>>900651
Thank you sir!!
>>
>>900544
if you just want an underground hidey hole. besides maybe finding a piece of land with a natural cave.

Your best bet is to build on a mountain side. build out on the mountain side, and basically then cover the bunker with rock/dirt/plant bushes and shit.
>>
>>900596
Oh that pic isn't mine just a random one off google.
>>
I've never done a DIY project before, but in /bst/ threads on other boards I see people with LEDs behind their desks, or neat projectors and stuff like that, I've been looking at LED strips on DX.com and I was wondering if I need a circuit board or what to get it to work?
>>
>>895059
where can I get a small motor for a mobile ?
I was thinking about taking it from an old microwave or vinyl player.
>>
File: 20151112_143638.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20151112_143638.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
Can /diy/ help me identify this tool and maybe some insight for its uses?
>>
File: 20151112_143643.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20151112_143643.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>901122
Bottom side
>>
>>901122

bearing puller
>>
>>901122
Do you fuckers even read the stickys? NO SEX TOYS.
>>
>>901122
Looks like a modern version of "the pear of anguish"
>>
>>901122
Tbh, it looks like a spring holder. I have something similar for removing valve springs.
>>
File: carpet-02.jpg (1MB, 1981x1485px) Image search: [Google]
carpet-02.jpg
1MB, 1981x1485px
What is the cheapest and easiest way to replace a small piece of carpet about as big as the hole when you make an okay sign with your hands? It's a small circular burn and I need to know before the end of the year.
>>
>>901207
another piece of carpet about as big as the hole when you make an okay sign with your hands.

And liquid nails. Just cut it oversized, then carefully trim it to fit perfectly in the hole you cut out to remove the burnt section. Then spread some liquid nails around, and gently but firmly press the patch in place.

It only has to last until you're past the final inspection.
>>
I'm trying to use my old ipod touch as a gyro mouse for head tracking on PC. I found a good, compatible app with low latency, but I need to hold down a button on the touch screen to enable the sensor.
How can I continuously touch an area of a capacitive screen hands free?
Software solutions are also welcome, I'm on jailbroken ios6.
>>
>>901207
Find a piece of the same carpet. Possibly a closet. If it's fairly new, look at your local big box store. It's one of their cheapest in stock or install carpets. Home Depot and most places even have samples for you to take. Grab a few. Find the closest match. Then >>901243.
>>
Could anyone suggest a good hobby program for CNC?

Basically to 3D design a wooden sword and have a CNC router (xcarve probably) cut it out. Windows or Linux is fine.

I've been told FreeCAD with Universal gcode sender, but I don't want to jump in and learn something in depth and find out its only semi-useful and have to start over basically.
>>
>>901243
>trim it to fit perfectly
make sure you get the orientation of the weave correct or it will stand out when you scuff it
the way you do it with wallpaper is to put the new bit on top of the hole then cut through both layers to make sure the cuts match exactly.
i don't know how well it works on carpet.
>>
So I have to cut the frequency of a transformer (50 Hz) by half, someone told me I can use diodes for this but I didn't really get it. is this true? if so how many do I need to do this?
>>
>>901712
You can remove half of the waveform with a diode. Pic related. You can't use them to drop the frequency from 50Hz to 25Hz. Well, at least not easily.
>>
>>901716
I see, thanks.
>>
>>901716
After a second though... If you're using 50Hz to drive something like a lamp, the lamp flickers at 100Hz, since it lights up on both half-waves. Diode would drop the flicker frequency to 50Hz, since it removes the other half-cycle.
>>
>>901719
I'm actually trying to test the Ring of an old phone to see if it works, I did some research and got that it works with 25Hz so I've been looking a way to half the frequency of a transformer since it looks like the easiest way.
>>
>>901720
I don't know about your country, but here the specification for the ring signal is 25Hz OR 50Hz. Also, if your phone isn't an antique with a mechanical ringer, 50Hz makes it ring the same way as 25Hz, since the ring circuits generally react to the amplitude of the ring signal, rather than its frequency.
>>
>>901721
No, it's not mechanical, and looking at the PDF of the manual it specifies that it needs 25Hz, thanks anyway.
>>
File: Spiral_cables_out_of_Li12Y_D_11Y.jpg (195KB, 3009x949px) Image search: [Google]
Spiral_cables_out_of_Li12Y_D_11Y.jpg
195KB, 3009x949px
How do you tighten spiral cables that have been extended a lot and won't contract any more?
>>
>>902036
I've never ever done anything like this, but here's a thought: twist the wire into shape on some rod, fix it using some small gauge wire such that it doesn't slide around a lot, then submerge in water and heat it up, simmer for a couple of minutes and let cool.

This might or might not work. Haha! :D
>>
>>902054
...the point being that plastic polymers should in theory reorganize their polymer bond by application of heat.
>>
File: s_headphones.jpg (87KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
s_headphones.jpg
87KB, 500x333px
>>902054
>twist the wire into shape on some rod, fix it using some small gauge wire
I actually did that a couple of days ago and secured it into place.
>heat it up
Was also considering this but wasn't sure if it would help.

The wire is for my headphones - pic related.
>>
>>902054
Yea that works on most jackets.
>>
File: boo2.gif (4KB, 347x192px) Image search: [Google]
boo2.gif
4KB, 347x192px
>>895059
Can someone enlighten me a small schematic for a 2 switch 1 light bulb system?

My cousin wants to turn off the light from her bed, but also wants to turn it on from her door way. I tried this but if she leaves the door switch on, it wont turn off if she flips it from her bed.

Basically;

if you switch a switch, it will turn off or on, no matter the other switch.
>>
File: staircase.png (108KB, 600x520px) Image search: [Google]
staircase.png
108KB, 600x520px
>>902091
this might help
>>
>>902097
THERE WE GO!

Holy fuck, it was so simple. I'm so fuckin stupid. Thanks a billion.

The one I posted was wrong cause you would need BOTH to be off in order to work, but with this one you can flip one and it will turn on, flip the other and it will turn off, but yeah this is what I needed. Again thank you.
>>
>>895061
Just throw them in the garbage. Identity theft is unlikely to happen to you.
>>
>>902097

the drawing and the names are correct but they're called ''3-way switches'' by most people who use or sell them, so you'll have better luck finding them by that name.
>>
>>902097
If you want a third switch then they are called intermediate switches in australia fyi.
>>
>>902147
>3-way switches
only in assbackward shithole countries
nothing about the switch is three way
you can't make an argument about 3 operational positions because you need a crossover.
what is 3 way about it?
commonly uses 3core cable?
whoopdy doo.
>>
>only in assbackward shithole countries

google search ''3-way switch'' : 324 million results in web, 61 million results in images

google search ''2-way switch'' : 271 million results in web, 59 million results in images

shithole countries seem to be over-represented on the interbutts.
>>
Battery Zapping (NiCad) Power Tools, etc. - Quick Q.

Is Zapping only useful for NiCd Packs that measure (more or less) 0v, and *wont charge* (because, whatever)

Specifically, looking at a pile of 12v (Bosch..) NiCds that *will* charge, but wont hold, drop to 1-3v within a few days - is Zapping useless here, or would it help?

Also, do you actually need to go fucking around with capacitators, etc - wouldn't a few taps at, say, 30v from a PSU work as well? - be easier..

Anyone any experience of changing the cells for NiMh or similar as well? Figure if I swapped 2-4, and charge them on a balancer, be good to go for another year or so - problem (with NiCd) is prob. mostly from irregular use. Just need to find a good fit (RC batteries, etc) 1st.

cheers in advance.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
What's the best way to take out glued-down laminate wood flooring? I don't want to do pic related because it's extremely slow. I have to remove 2000 sq.ft of this shit and I wanted to know the easiest way to do it. I was thinking about a heat gun and a crowbar. or maybe some kind of heavy duty solvent.

any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
>>
>>902315
Sorry mate, that is the fastest way. Unless you can get a small tractor inside your house and have a go at it with that.
>>
>>902315
Heat gun MAY work better, but depends on the type of glue used.
um, i have come across a tip ages ago (although never done, so ymmv) of carefully going along the grooves of the floor with a circular saw and slicing through all the tongues of the tongue and groove. This would let each board pop off as soon as you beat the glue, not having to deal with that mechanical joint.
>>
>>902236
zapping is for batteries that charge, but don't hold a charge, because they read as 'full' because charge cycles have crystallized a big section of the battery.
I have seen some people on youtube use a 12v car battery on individual cells from the battery pack (as well as just the pack), but what you actually need is not a higher voltage shock, but a higher amperage shock, to rapidly charge the battery and melt off the crystals. so 12-15v are what you want.
there is a small but clear chance of catastrophic failure = battery go boom.

Just be aware that this is a temporary fix that will hopefully last you a few months, but won't last as long as a new battery.
Also, another common issue is that one or two of the individual cells in the pack have gone bad, but the rest are fine, so if you have two bad batteries, consider opening them up, using a multimiter to check which ones are charged, and then replace all the bad cells with decent ones from the other pack.
>>
>>902183
>what is 3 way about it?
A "3-way" switch has three electrical paths (ways), in contrast to a simple switch, which has two, and an intermediate or "4-way" switch, which has four.
>>
If I put LEDs in a coat, would there be an easy way to change out the lights should they burn out?
>>
>>902409

LEDs have MTBFs around 100,000 hours. so you should never need to change them.
>>
>>902416
You're thinking of life expectancy. MTBF is a measure of reliability.
Either way, I'd expect the main problem to be mechanical failures, when leds and wires are constantly twisted and bent as the coat moves. ESD might be a problem as well.
>>
I'm renting a house and I have some ability to improve it, but the previous tenants were fuckups. So I have a lot of interior paint covering what was unfinished wood, with the texture and everything, and I was wondering what problems I would run into if I tried to strip the paint off with a potato brush and some chemicals to try and get back to bare wood, or at least close to it.
>>
>>902427
Potato brush... You mean paint stripper?
>>
File: z2.jpg (252KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
z2.jpg
252KB, 800x800px
What's the best way to weigh down a cavity inside a plastic object?

I have a dock (was a charging one but not anymore) for my phone that holds it in place with a magnet, but the magnet was so strong that when you picked up the phone the dock would come with it so I took it apart and fit as many odd hex bits that I could just because they were the only heavy things within reach at the time, obviously that's not a viable option.
>>
>>902827
Lead sinkers from the fishing store
>>
>>902329
Ayyyy plow that bitch like a mofo
>>
Wanna pick a decent soldering iron set (holder, etc) and a decent DMM, don't mind shelling out a bit. aus-fags.
>>
>>902827
I'd get a piece of scrap steel, grind it to fit snugly in the cavity, and glue it in. Or if you're good, do an interference fit.
>>
>>902828
>Lead sinkers from the fishing store

That or wheel weights. Cut a polystyrene mould, melt the lead and cast it.
>>
>>900546
I couldn't find any timer though I was told it turns on at midnight so I'm guessing maybe they were thinking of the old hot water heater or I'm blind.

Didn't seem like there's anyway to increase pressure/flow either, there's no partially closed taps. In the end I just turned the temp up from 60C to 70C so that cold can be turned up higher without losing too much heat.
>>
I've got some IPcams that I want to set up. One uses a DC 5v 2a adapter and the other has a DC 12v 1a one. What would be the easiest way to extend the cables of these since the ones they came with are fairly short.

Should I just get new adapters with longer cables or would extending the cables give me better length? I'd need ~5m or so for each one.
>>
File: product_1038.jpg (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
product_1038.jpg
22KB, 400x400px
I have a LED panel that I plan to mount into a custom nightstand. I want to add a potentiometer to it, but my knowledge in electronics is limited. This is a picture of the transformer it comes with. Is this feasible or am I being excessively dumb?

Where would I place the potentiometer and would I need any extra components?

This is for a class project of furniture design so they didn't teach us electronics.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>904613
Hit up eBay for "CCTV extension". Buy it Now, Lowest price+P&P.

Expect to pay less than $10 for the lot.
>>
>>904613

the easiest is just to buy an extension or seven. you need to measure the width of the pin and of the outer diameter of the male plug. in this pic, it's 2.1 and 5.5 mm.

second easiest is to buy some dollar-store speaker cable and splice it into the existing cable. if you can solder, it does a much better job. otherwise, just twist and tape. make sure you maintain polarity: the wire with the white stripe must be joined to itself thru the extension.

>>904772

it's possible to use a big fat wire-wound pot in series with the lights to dim them, but it wont be cheap, and it'll get hot. better solution is to use a PWM speed-controller module on the 12V output, or a light dimmer box on the 120V input.
>>
>>904772
No, it's not feasible.

LEDs are not resistive loads, so you can't dim them by adding a resistor. If you add a resistor, all that happens is that the regulated power supply increases the amount of power it supplies, so as to keep the current from dropping.

If you add enough resistance you will eventually overwhelm the PSU's ability to cope, but this isn't safe and probably still won't dim the light.

You need to add not a potentiometer, but an "LED PWM Dimmer", which is a complete circuit that switches the LEDs completely on and completely off really fast, so they're on less than 100% of the time and so appear dimmer. Whether it appears flickery or not depends on how much you paid for it.

You can get a cheap one for ~$5. You just put it between the power supply and the LEDs. Make sure the voltage is the same and the power capacity exceeds the power draw of the LEDs you're using.
>>
>>904772

if you are using a constant current power supply as shown in your pic, then none of the methods in previous post will work well, coz the power supply will, in fact, try to oppose any attempts at dimming the lights, and keep a constant current al the time. the techniques would work with a constant-voltage source, tho.
>>
File: Untitled 1.jpg (161KB, 643x375px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled 1.jpg
161KB, 643x375px
tl;dr: how do I make something similar to pic related. keep in mind I won't use a trash can cause I am getting around on a bicycle and it seems portable.
anybody lurking with an idea?

hey /diy/,
I'm doing leaf cleanups this month for money.
I'm fast at raking and filling the bags but now the 22 days in my back is asking for rest.
I was wondering if you can help me figure out how to make pic related to keep the bags open so I can fill them faster.
the product can only be ordered online and I have yards to clean and by the time it gets here the leaf cleanup time frame will be gone.
I want to try it cause it's portable and I can carry it on my bicycle with the rakes and bags.
If you want to see a video of how it works find it searching "KwicKan".
cardboard won't work I think
thank you kindly
>>
File: LB-RD-5.jpg (38KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
LB-RD-5.jpg
38KB, 500x500px
>>904944
Make a frame out of wood or wire.

Can you get a pair of dykes/pliers? Go for steel wire. It'll cost a couple bucks at the hardware store.

Make a loop and carry the loop, and put the bag through it when you get there. Ifyou want to get fancy you could make a bigger loop and wires to support the bag upright. Drop the bag loop in when you get there. This would be a fancy bend to make without making bag punctures likely. I can't really describe it to you

Pic related but not at all the bends I would recommend for the support. For the bag holder loop it's fine.
>>
>>904944
Go to your local signmakers, and get whatever plastic-based card they want rid of.

Alternatively, I'm not 100% sure this will work, but I suspect you could iron together 10 dollar-store clothing vacuum bags using a clothes iron and some greaseproof paper. If you can't make a scale model using one, then you're only out a dollar.
>>
File: hamper.jpg (32KB, 492x492px) Image search: [Google]
hamper.jpg
32KB, 492x492px
>>904944
pop-up laundry hamper
>>
File: roll-up toboggan.jpg (5KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
roll-up toboggan.jpg
5KB, 300x300px
>>904944

a roll-up toboggan has the strength and durability you need. costs $6 on amazon. a little more at Walmart, and the like.
>>
I bought a pair of marshalls major (first edition) over the ear headphones. After a few months pass the warranty, the wires went wonky/single channel in the left cup and the mic stopped working
I've googled like all hell to find a way to fix it (even bought a rep. TRRS plug), but ran into some problems; the wires funny match up to anything I've seen online.

Bluish or greenish wire with fiber
Reddish within plastic sleeve
Another reddish copper wire
2 copper wires

I read online that iPhone earphones use the bluish/green wire for the mic (this one has one too) and the copper wire is ground, but then there's a green/red wire and/or other multi-colored wire.

I can't get a meter to check it (far too expensive in NL for just this pair) and I'm tired of tossing money away for a decent pair of cans. Can /diy/ help?
>>
>>905183

there's a technique called ''trial and error'' where you just connect things at random until they work. using this technique, you could've found out the answer in shorter time than it took to write your post.
>>
>>904772

the company that makes that power supply also makes dimmable versions, like this one: http://www.yampe.com/product/details.jsp?curren=1&la=1&person_id=0&session=5E80F8AF7A3D391C28E40B36CCE78AA5&type=detail&menu2_id=130&product_id=963&product_type_id=29&brand_id=34
>>
Does an opto-isolator make current or vary its resistance to a current you supply?
>>
How can something have high current and low voltage or vice versa?
>>
>>905322
its usually a transistor essential so varies its resistance simply speaking

>>905349
how cant it?
v=i*r
>>
>>905350
What about when they say a transistor has voltage gain or current gain (or whatever it is)?
>>
>>905322
If it made current, it wouldn't be very isolated, would it?

It's a photodiode and an LED, coupled together optically but not electrically. The amount of current the photodiode lets through is proportional to the light hitting it, which is in theory proportional to the brightness of the LED, but you shouldn't be doing that to LEDs, so in practice it's on/off.

Optoisolators are fast enough that you can pass PWM signals through them, though.
>>
>>905354
>If it made current, it wouldn't be very isolated, would it?

There would be no physical electrical coupling. Just an analogous voltage or current out the other end generated by some light transducer. I thought that was the idea.
>>
>>905354
>>905356
Conceptually, what's the difference between light being directly transduced into current, and light modulating (via resistance) a pre-existing current?
>>
>>905352
think of a transistor between collector and emitter controlled by current from base to emitter
transistor current gain is the ratio of current that is allowed to flow from collector to emitter compared to the current you allow into the base.

in a photo transistor or whatever the current flowing from collector to emitter is controlled by light. an optocoupler usually contains a light source that saturates the 'transistor' and lets current flow. just think of it as a switch.
>>
>>905358
the difference is if 1000v of electricity suddenly appears in one side of the circuit it can't jump to the other side through light
>>
>>905365
>it can't jump to the other side through light
That would be the case in either of the options I listed. One was electricity being converted to light, then back into electricity. The other was electricity being converted into light, then into resistance, which is subsequently applied to a voltage source on the other side.

Both seem to provide the same manner of isolation.
>>
>>905367
sorry i didn't read it properly
yeah well i guess so
except one doesn't exist

if you got a voltage out the other side you would need to convert it to a suitable level and all that shit. resistance is easier. plusvthats just how it works
>>
>>905368
There are photodiode output optos. You can use them in current or voltage output mode. Or in photoconductive mode.
>>
>>905371
>You can use them in current or voltage output mode
What does this mean?
>>
>>905374
Current output mode = you (virtually) short the diode so that there's no voltage across it and measure the resulting current. Google transimpedance amplifier.
Voltage mode = photovoltaic mode, it works like a tiny solar cell.
>>
>>895059
I cant solder for shit.
I dont even mean the mechanical act of soldering, I mean planning it properly.

How do I kill myself so my bro-tier boss isnt disappointed at his favorite employee.
>>
File: walls.jpg (1MB, 4037x1628px) Image search: [Google]
walls.jpg
1MB, 4037x1628px
I know close to nothing about home repair so bear with me, I don't think this warrants a new thread.

I have an old room I've neglected in my house for some time, broken corners, old deteriorating wallpaper, scratched walls etc. Not sure how to go about repairing them, money and time are non-issues so ideally I'd buy the correct tools/materials for the job and fix it myself learning something in the process. Pictured in order

1: Broken corner, I assume plaster(board)? Behind this corner is hollow if it matters.
2: Scratched up wall. Behind this is a brick wall.
3: Ceiling with crack lines. no leaks but the lines make me uneasy, maybe I should get the attic checked as well?
>>
File: InertYurt.jpg (95KB, 504x353px) Image search: [Google]
InertYurt.jpg
95KB, 504x353px
>>895059
How feasible are yurts for long-term living?
>>
I feel stupid for having to ask this, but I need help.

If I have a 1" spring with a rate of 60lbs/in, would that mean im getting 30 lbs when it is compressed at 1/2"?
>>
>>905715
There are people, right now, who were born in, currently live in and will die in a yurt, just as people in their area have done for.. uh.. lots of years. The biggest difference might be that they now have cell phones and don't burn big piles of dung in the middle of the room to heat the place. Very feasible, assuming quality craftsmanship and required maintenance.

>>905421

3. a long straight crack in the sheetrock/plaster ceiling, not accompanied by water or something like warping door frames, is just going to be a costmetic issue. Perhaps the mud and tape or plaster surfacing was done poorly along a seam and has shifted a tiny bit with the natural movement of the home/room?

If i were you I'd spend some time on youtube watching various methods. Look for "repairing sheetrock corner" or "outside corner bead" Is that scratched wall paint over concrete? You could scrape/sand the surface to smooth it down, wash the surface and repaint it. well, prime, maybe with killz, and then paint.
>>
>>905860
I think you're correct on 3. There is no water damage, just all three seams in the ceiling have very slowly become more pronounced/cracked over the years.

>the rest
Thanks, appreciate it.
>>
>>905376
I want to do some MIDI processing with my Arduino. I've ordered 2 Darlington pair ones (I know I only need one per input). Am I on the right track?
>>
>>905376
>>905886
I still don't get current vs. voltage mode. I'm reading about transimpedance amplifer and I was stumped by the first sentence. A current to voltage convertor?

I thought voltage was the precursor to current. Also, if you want to literally want to "convert" voltage won't a 1ohm resistor do that?
>>
>>905808

Hooke's law.

Also, yes.
>>
File: glue.jpg (1MB, 2303x3065px) Image search: [Google]
glue.jpg
1MB, 2303x3065px
Would priming and then painting over this extremely hard wallpaper glue be a bad idea?
>>
>>906084
No. It will show through and look like ass. Get out the power sander.
>>
>>906089
>would it be a bad idea
>no
>>
>>905890
When light hits a photodiode, it produces charge carrier pairs. Flow of charges means current.
If you just shunt the diode with a resistor, the resulting voltage affects the produced current, making the diode nonlinear. Also, since the currents are often tiny (microamps or less), you need a big resistor to get reasonable output. This in turn makes shit slow, because the resistor forms a filter together with diode's capacitance.
Transimpedance amplifier allows you to get decent output at decent speed while keeping the voltage across the diode zero (short circuit from diode's point of view).
>>
>>906084
>>906089
I was just informed that it's not actually glue, it's an old layer of paint, can I just prime that or should I still sand it so it's not as glossy?
>>
>>906103
It will show through unless you do many layers of primer and paint. Just sand it so it doesn't look like shit.
>>
>>906107
Will do, thanks.
>>
>>906101
So a photodiode is essentially a small solar panel? I thought it was, you know, a diode. That became more or less diode-like depending on the light shone on it.

Why is it called a photodiode? That's just confusing.
>>
>>906101
>shunt the diode with a resistor
What does that mean? Put one in series with it? Parallel?
>>
File: MIDI_connections[1].png (19KB, 773x724px) Image search: [Google]
MIDI_connections[1].png
19KB, 773x724px
I've got some opto-isolators but they're 4 pin - anode, cathode, emitter and collector. I see on some Arduino MIDI in tutorials they're using the 4n35 model, which is DIP6.

It has an extra connection - the base. Do I need this? It's not connected on some schematics (see pic) but on some it is.

This is confusing because I thought the "base" was supposed to be the light coming from the LED entering the sensor. Why a physical base pin too?

Is it for advanced stuff that I don't need to worry about for now?
>>
>>905371
>>906183

The opto-isolators I have are COM-00314 Darlington pair. So essentially a photoresistor (given that a transistor is a variable resistor), right?

Does that mean I can forget about all that current mode/voltage mode wizardry for now?
>>
Ah well I've done some research and I've bought the wrong ones. All I want to fucking send MIDI to an Arduino.

Why is it so goddamn complicated? I've done MIDI out and it's a piece of piss. One resistor and done.

Now I've got to piss about with light and diodes that aren't actually diodes at all because they produce current but it's not enough for practical use and somehow "shunting" it with a resistor magically makes it more powerful. Not that it matters because I've bought the wrong thing anyway - something that doesn't even switch fast enough for what I thought was its actual purpose for existing in the first place.

Screw it then I'll do something with LED matrices and shift registers. At least they don't require an engineering degree just to connect A to fricking B.
>>
>>906200
Know what I mean? I just want a signal to go into it and come back out again. Why is that so stupendously overcomplicated?

Why do I even need them anyway? MIDI out didn't need one. Sounds like some bullshit to me.
>>
I have a couple logs about the size of my torso that I want to varnish and use as stools. I essentially have pic related, and all I want to do is make them level, and coat them in a glossy varnish.

What sort of varnish/topcoat/whatever should I use if I want it to be glossy , and last a long time? Any advice for leveling logs like this?
>>
>>906187
>COM-00314
just ignore the extra pins that aren't there
>>
>>906225
I'll give it a try at least but I'm not getting my hopes up, to be honest.
>>
>>906227
whats wrong with them?
just treat it as a relay
>>
>>906229
Apparently these ones switch too slowly.
>>
>>906247
Nah didn't work. Oh well. I also noticed that the IDE couldn't upload to the device while the serial pin was connected to the MIDI circuit. It's all academic to me now. And all because, for some reason, you're not allowed to just connect shit up with wires.
>>
>>906317
Just gave all my optoisolators a good microwaving. Just to make sure I'm never tempted to have the audacity to attempt to make something as trivial as a MIDI reader, ever again.

I'll stick to MIDI out stuff. That hasn't been needlessly overcomplicated by a bunch of fucking egghead wankers.
>>
>>895555
Google of your friend
>>
can gy8 based light bulbs go into tube lighting bases? By tube lighting I mean T10s.

I want to find some way to replace my cfl tube lights to leds, without buying the tube leds, because those cost like $24 a bulb.
>>
>>906317
Maybe one day you will grow up and realize why ground loops are a bad thing in musical instruments.
>>
>>906208
If the logs are still wet, let them dry thoroughly (as in several months in a warm dry place). Square the ends with an aggressive sander (belt sander / angle grinder with sanding disk) and a spirit level. If you have access to one, flatten the ends with a large disk sander, and sand down any sharp corners or points. Use a polyurethane varnish suitable for the location you plan to use the stools. Apply lots of coats. Keep coating until even the depths of cracks are well-coated and glossy.
>>
>>898905
You can just buy new toumbstones (what we call the pin holders here) to suit T8 but you would most likely need a new transformer. Still easy to get from electrical wholesalers if your that keen
>>
>>903142
Is it on a tarrif? If so its controlled by a relay that the electric company installs which turns it on at off peak times at a discounted rate. To make it run constantly you would need it on a different circuit
>>
>>900969
You would only need a transformer thats rated to the particular strip you got
>>
I have an interview for an electrical apprenticeship and don't know what to wear.

A new wardrobe would be a substantial investment for me as I'm saving for a car.

What would you suggest?
>>
File: 1378530950381.jpg (58KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1378530950381.jpg
58KB, 720x720px
Trying to build an RCA volume control for audio applications

Does the PCB chosen matter? Can I just choose the cheapest and smallest one?

How would I choose the total impedance of the potentiometer? I've seen recommendations stating that it should be at least 10 times of the source's output, but in that case then surely there's a reason why pots aren't standardized at millions of ohms

How thick should the interconnecting wires be? Does the material matter?
>>
>>906928
Always show up for interviews in a suit if possible. It shows you're willing to go out of your way to look professional, put in effort, and basically are not a total fuckup.

Try goodwill. Suit jackets are $20-30, get some matching black pants and a tie, should be about $50 total or less.
Generally goodwill has a half off sale on clothing every month, in my area it's the last saturday of the month, re tomorrow.
If you can't swing that, nice pants, button up shirt, and a tie.

That said, it COULD be different, so if you're worried, just call and ask.
>>
>>906936
I'm not too sure what is an "RCA volume control"? A pot in a box with RCA connectors?

Your source impedance (the driving device) is probably reasonably low, for example 600R or less. Using that simple 10x rule you'd need a 6k pot (10k is a standard value). On the other hand, the pot should be around ten times smaller than the input impedance of the second device. Your 6k pot would be suitable for input impedances of 60k and more. In case the input impedance is lower, you try to find a reasonable compromise (using somewhat smaller multipliers, like 5 instead of 10) and if it can't be found, you add buffer amplifiers.
Generally speaking it is a good idea to keep the pot resistance quite low, but not so low that there's significant power dissipation in the pot itself. So if your source impedance is 600R and the input impedance of the second device is 1M, a 10k potentiometer would be reasonable.

Wire thickness does not really matter. You generally want shielded cables, though.
>>
>>906945
>A pot in a box with RCA connectors
pretty much yeah, rca in > pot > rca out. Starting out with simple stuff.

>On the other hand, the pot should be around ten times smaller than the input impedance of the second device.
Ah, didn't know this bit. Good to know, thanks

>Wire thickness does not really matter. You generally want shielded cables, though.
Great, I'll just get a long reel for future projects

Does the PCB matter though? Talking about electronics in general now. Not at all familiar in this field.
>>
>>906928
I'd find out what the electricians wear and show up in a fresh set of that. Fuck the suit, tradesmen want people who will be correctly and professionally dressed to work. For example in the US that would often be jeans or uniform pants, a uniform shirt or similar, steel toed boots which are comfortable, and a baseball cap.

Be ready to start instantly and say so. It shows initiative.

Electricians, machinists, welders and other trades look at suits as what the "out of touch" higher management wear. You want to look good and smoothly blend in.

Fun story: I bought some used uniform shirts and jackets at a flea market. I wasn't looking for a job, but they are comfortable and most of my hobbies require work clothes. I noticed when I wore them around town that I got treated differently when I bought welding or home renovation supplies. People feel comfy around perceived peers.
>>
>>906946
> Does the PCB matter though?

it looks like you have a mistaken impression of what a PCB does. the idea is that you dont want to run wires (like in the pic) if you're gonna be making a lot of units, coz it's time consuming. however if you're making just one unit, and it's simple, say less than 100 connection points, then a PCB actually wastes time instead of saving it. for your purpose, you can just wire the parts together with loose wires, no PCB or even perfboard needed.
>>
>>906962
>People feel comfy around perceived peers.

the flip side of that is that i get treated with contempt at a local hardware store, with macho idiot employees, if i show up in nice slacks and a proper clean white shirt.
>>
File: outer door threshold huge gap.jpg (256KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
outer door threshold huge gap.jpg
256KB, 1600x1200px
I just bought an old house and I'm trying to seal it up since it's a cold winter.

All the doors have large gaps between the door and floor, up to almost two inches. I'm going to get some thresholds for the inner doors but the outer door has a weird threshold set up. What kind of threshold should I get for it? The gap is 1.75inches from floor to door once I get the old broken weather seal off. I've already got a door sweep that can handle a gap of 0.75 inches but I'm not sure about a threshold that'll fit there, most of them are only 0.75 inches tall anyway.
>>
>>907015
Often times older homes were designs with a gap in the interior doors to allow for airflow. Depending on how the place was modernized or not you might want to leave them.

That exterior door is messed up though. Looks like its door sweep is missing. They are cheap and easy to install.
>>
File: door threshold from outside.jpg (398KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
door threshold from outside.jpg
398KB, 1600x1200px
>>907029
So upon further inspection, it does have a threshold towards the ouside, but the door bottom seal is all jacked up and needs to be removed. I'm going to the store later to buy a new door bottom seal that I can just screw on.

Problem is I think the old broken seal is screwed into the bottom of the door. So I'll have to remove the door, take off the old seal, then put the door back on, which sucks because it's 40F outside right now.

As for the interior doors, the house does have a pellet stove which is kind of nice, but each room also has a small electric heater on the wall with it's own thermostat. I'm renting out the second bedroom and don't intend to use the pellet stove much, so I'd rather seal the gaps under the doors so we don't waste energy.
>>
>>907015
>>907038
>weird threshold set up
Looks pretty standard.

>So upon further inspection, it does have a threshold
Just stop. If you don't know anything about thresholds other then how to buy them, do you really think you're going to improve anything?
>>
>>907052
They're a pair of cuboids that're meant to come together in an airtight fashion, not uranium centrifuges or magnetic resonance imagers.
>>
>>907052
I just want my house sealed. I'm used to warmer climates and this winter's kicking my ass so far.

I'd been looking at saddle thresholds before and didn't realize what I was looking at because it has such a shitty big gap on the inside between the door and the floor. The previous owner didn't give much of a shit about the place because he just rented it out.
>>
>>907054
Which is exactly the current situation. Someone thinks "how hard can thresholds be" and installs it like shit. The door doesn't open or close properly, the weatherstripping wears out, and it stops doing it's only job, being airtight.

I'm not saying they're hard to install, but someone who has a hard time figuring out whether or not the door already has one isn't going to improve anything long term.
>>
I'm trying to build a model out of basswood of a building with 1/32" boards

I've got a marble tile for the base, how do I get these pieces to stand on it while being so thin? And how do I bond the pieces to make a kind of tower? Just glue the edges together?
>>
>>907061
Get a carpenters square or something else close to 90 degrees. Clamp board to it. Set it on marble. Hot glue board to marble, unclampm. Continue
>>
>>907087
I don't have a clamp, or carpenter's square, where do I get them? Do I n
Really need them? The 1/32" boards will stand like 12" at a few inches wide with maybe inch of wood at each end so it'll be in a half square shape..

Basically I'm making half towers, only meant to be viewed from one side.
>>
>>907087
I was also thinking of cutting little triangle shapes and gluing them to the big pieces as stands, then gluing all the stands and big piece to the marble
>>
>>907087
What kind of clamp do I need for that?
>>
I want to build my own house but I have zero artistic or creative abilities. If I go to an architect and tell them things I want in a house, and show pictures of house styles that I like, would he be able to work with that? I don't want a cookie cutter home that home builders sell to every body. I want something original.
>>
>>900546
Do you have a water softener with a filter the filter may be old. Customer had the same issue that was the problem
>>
>>907107
there are tons of existing floor plans out there. if you found one you liked a civil engineer could probably make basic modifications and help get it approved for a town. i think it would be cheaper. and if you are in a city some real weird architecture is going to be hard to get approved.
>>
File: IMG_20151127_232423.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151127_232423.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
How do i get these two things as perfectly flat as possible they are made out of bismuth and i dont have any fancy tools like a cnc mill they are like 3cm wide and 1.6 or so high
>>
>>907117
to be clear i just want the top to be flat
>>
File: TheBurningfinal.jpg (181KB, 696x1044px) Image search: [Google]
TheBurningfinal.jpg
181KB, 696x1044px
I have no idea where this question should go and this seems the easiest place to ask without shitting up this board or another too much:

Is there a recommended resolution (or something similar) for an 18 x 24 poster? I want to get this printed because Mondo is run by retards and all of their stuff is sold by scalpers.
>>
>>907114

I don't want anything weird. Virginia houses are just fucking ugly. They are rectangles with decks and a garage attached. I want a Texas style house. Stone/Brick exterior. Large arched windows, doors, walkways, lots of windows, upstairs living/play room, etc.
>>
>>907118
Google surface lapping. If you use two different surfaces, it will be flat. If you use the two items against each other, they mate together.
>>
>>907117
put sandpaper on a flat surface - a piece of window glass or granite tabletop
lubricate with water or oil
sand until you get the finish you want.
>>
>>907128
gonna try that thanks

>>907127
seems perfect in theory but like i sayd i dont have any fancy tools
>>
>>907132
What the other guy said is lapping.
>>
>>907133
o-oh w-well thanks then too
>>
>>907087
i need to know what kind of clamp this guy meant i could use for standing a thin piece like that.

i've got a desk, but no real tables, so not one i'll have to nail and screw to get it on
>>
>>907119
At least 150 DPI for a decent print, but 300 is better. So 2700x3600 to 5400x7200 or so. If that's the best image you have to work with, even Photoshop wizardry won't get it to look good at 18x24. Unless you just plan to just look at it from across the room or something, the pixels will be visible.
>>
>>906975
Alright, many thanks
>>
File: 187-118.jpg (21KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
187-118.jpg
21KB, 500x500px
>>907091
>I don't have a clamp, or carpenter's square, where do I get
Whatever clamp. You might even just use a clothespin.

I was thinking a "set square" or "machinist" A "speed square" might actually be best because it has a little flange you could clamp onto.
>>
>>907155
Damn. Thank you!
>>
File: lundell[1].jpg (12KB, 333x267px) Image search: [Google]
lundell[1].jpg
12KB, 333x267px
Where can I get a small, hard plastic Auger/screw conveyor, about 3-4'' in diameter, 1' in length, and 3'' between turns? I live in Canada (Ottawa to be precise).

Could also order on Amazon or similar, but can't find anything in a reasonable price range.

If I can't buy one, how might I go about making one? I have tools, but no heavy machinery.

The full purpose of this thing is part of a cat food dispenser.
>>
>>907287
I don't know where you could get something like that ready-made for a reasonable price. If I were making something like that, I would build it from stainless stock. Tube for the shaft, and several cut/bent/welded rings for the screw. Any questions on the math for setting up the screw from rings?

Alternately, you might get it custom-made from a rapid prototyping center or 3D printing service.
>>
>>907287
I came across this a while ago:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Pet-Feeder/?ALLSTEPS
>>
File: 3310800_z1000.jpg (18KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
3310800_z1000.jpg
18KB, 340x340px
>>904944
If i can shill a little bit
Unger bagger, folds flat, very sturdy, fits contractor bag. Fits your needs perfectly
>>
File: il_570xN.811768482_4v8t.jpg (74KB, 570x382px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.811768482_4v8t.jpg
74KB, 570x382px
Would it be possible for someone with no leather working experience to create a buttstock sleeve with ammo loops like this? It can be basic as hell, just so long it functions. I want to get one for my father, who has a beautiful lever action gun it would be great for. I don't mind spending money to have someone who knows what they're doing make a nice one, but if it's at all possible I'd like to give it a more personal touch and make it myself.
>>
>>907354
you can do it without experience but you can't do it without tools.
to crudely reproduce that you'll need an awl to make the holes for the stitching, a punch/setter for the brass eyelets, and a sharp knife.
>>
>>907015
>>907038
>>907057
Me again, I got the weather stripping installed! I also didn't have to take the door off the hinges since the damaged weather stripping on the bottom was just stapled into the door. Now It's all good to go, can't see any light through it, hopefully that keeps the house a little warmer until I can get to caulking about a million little gaps all through the house. The previous owner must have hired the cheapest contractors ever for his last remodel ;_;
>>
How can I findout my wifes fb usr and pass? We've been together for years and I have a gut feeling she's cheating.. please help me..
>>
>>907513
Idk if I'm even on the right forum for this.. I'm desperate...
>>
>>907513
Install key logger on her computer.
Probably illegal in your state.

Hire a PI. He eats anything illegal he does.

Courts also don't give a shit unless the new guy is doing drugs or violent history. She's getting the kids and money. Watch divorce corp on Netflix.

Sorry bro. I'm terrified of it happening to me
>>
File: Superposition_1.png (9KB, 972x555px) Image search: [Google]
Superposition_1.png
9KB, 972x555px
I'm having trouble understanding this diagram (and the concept behind it). It shows a voltage source and *current* source.

My question is, what is the distinction? Surely this current from the source has a voltage behind it, moving it?

I don't get it.
>>
>>907522
It's not illegal to install that stuff on your own computer. If they share a computer and his income paid for it, it's his computer, she just uses it.

That said, by the time you have suspicions she's cheating on you it's way too late. You never should have married.
>>
>>907562
an ideal voltage source will output a constant voltage regardless of the load
if you add resistors to the circuit the current in the circuit will change but the voltage output of the source will stay the same

with a current source the current stays the same
if you add or remove resistors the voltage output from the current source will change but the current will stay the same

you cant have current without voltage

a voltage source needs some current. well i mean it could be 0 amps i suppose. but you cant separate them, same with a current source, there will be a voltage. thats how electricity works.
>>
Okay I got another question. Throughout the house there's a lot of places where the hardwood floor and the cabinets/walls/whatever don't quite match up and there's this gap with crumbly stuff (and lots of cat fur) in it. Why is it like that?

I got some of that insulation foam spray that I'm planning to fill it with, but eventually I want to cover it with baseboard or something so it doesn't look like garbage.
>>
>>907582
>with a current source the current stays the same
>if you add or remove resistors the voltage output from the current source will change but the current will stay the same

I see. Are voltage sources more primitive? I mean I'm assuming that a battery is a constant voltage source, whereas to provide constant current would be to regulate a voltage source with some components? If so, how is a current source constructed?
>>
>>907588
well yeah you can think of a battery as a voltage source but its not idea because it has an internal resistance. if you think about this it means that the voltage will change as the load changes because the current changes and so there is a voltage drop from the internal resistance.

but yeah things like batteries and mains electric and voltage regulators and wall warts are usually all voltage sources. but not 'ideal'.

current sources are usually some kind of transistor boosting the current through a sense resistor. a bit of a cheat really, theres nothing like a battery that produces current.or idon't think there is anyway.

butcurrent sources can be useful, like if you power an led you want it current driven rather than voltage driven
>>
>>907600
>butcurrent sources can be useful, like if you power an led you want it current driven rather than voltage driven
Does current driven simply mean it's connected to a current-regulated supply?
>>
File: osc.jpg (47KB, 578x449px) Image search: [Google]
osc.jpg
47KB, 578x449px
I want to make this simple "oscilloscope" box (used in conjunction with a soundcard and software).

I'm having trouble understanding the voltage divider (which I'm assuming the 2 82k resistors are). It seems that the 2 independent signals will both affect the virtual ground, so won't that make them not independent anymore?

As in, now the zero line will shift according to the difference between the two signals rather than remaining fixed, it seems.

Won't this affect the reading by linking what are meant to be two independent signals?
>>
>>907588
With solid-state electronic current controls, it's possible to provide perfect, or nearly so, current and voltage sources. These are used e.g. on higher-end welding machines and power sources for electronics. Simpler equipment can use inductance to produce relatively steep or shallow voltage-current curves as needed.
>>
>>907622

that's not a virtual ground, its a real ground tied to the computer's ground thru the sound card. so, one signal will not affect the other.

as for that pot, I would increase it to 2meg so it can divide the signal by a much larger margin. assuming the sound card can handle 1V max voltage, a 2meg pot will let you measure voltages up to 25V. another alternative is to decrease the 82K resistors by an equivalent ratio.
>>
So do actual instructional shows exist on TV any more?

Looking through DIY Network and HGTV they're all reality shows that only show before and after

Do people have to rely on books, DVDs, the internet, and older TV shows?

Seems like it would be cool to do your own series
>>
>>907300
Nah, math is the easy part of this project.
On the note of stainless steel, I don't want the auger to be too heavy, since It's being set on a servo, and pushing cat food, so the lighter it is, the better. In any case, I may end up using steel if plastic is hard to come by.

>>907306
Thanks for the link!
But, the steps involve 3d printing. I don't own a 3d printer, and according to sculpteo/various sites, it would cost $200+ to print an auger of that size. Even the models the author uploaded
cost pretty huge sums of money.
>>
>>907622
As one who had blown up a sound car I would recommend an external one for the job.
>>
>>907686
I see. Thanks. What about the 22k ones? Should I leave them?

I've only got 2 10k single gang pots so that means I should put 2x 16.4k in the divider (to maintain the balance shown in the pic)?

Or 2x 4.1k to achieve the ratio you suggested?
>>
>>907858
It's just occurred to me that it's not the 2 82k that makes the divider, it's each 22k/82k pair, so it makes more sense to me now.
>>
Is it necessary to put bypass capacitors on the power supply pins of an op amp powered by two 9v batteries?
>>
I am looking into starting to get into woodworking, but I live in a downtown apartment with not much space to spare and a roommate (although he is never there). Problems primarily consist of needing to minimize noise, footprint size taken up by the setup, and keeping it clean enough for the roommate when he occasionally stops by in the evenings for dinner. I am willing to deal with hand tools over power tools if needed.

Can anyone point me toward some advice as to how to accomplish this or do I need to resort to something like renting a storage unit and converting it into a workshop?
>>
>>907710
If you liked your car, why'd you try to use it as an oscilloscope?
>>
>>895059
Are there any good archives of service manuals for home appliances?

I'm trying to troubleshoot a GE dryer (GTDP301GLWS from 2012 I think) that won't start, and their "manual" and installation guides cover jack shit.

I'm thinking it's the thermal fuse, but I have no idea where to look for it. Tucked inside the back panel, I found an electrical diagram, but I'm either too blind or too tired, because I can't find the fuse on the diagram. At all.

Also, how the fsck is it cheaper for them to build this thing with old fashioned control circuitry, when the same things could have been done with a few mossfets a relay and the cheapest 8bit micro on the market?
>>
I am looking for a female jack of the Kinect connector.

The kind that I can solder onto other stuff.
Like those USB breakout sockets.

I've been trawling AliExpress for hours now to no avail. Everyone sells replacement HDMI ports but nobody sells replacement Kinect ports.
>>
>>907706
>I don't want the auger to be too heavy
The screw will be supported with bearings or the bottom of the screw shaft, no? If so, there shouldn't be torque on the servo, and I don't think that a reasonable steel screw will approach the resistance of a load of cat food. Keep in mind that steel is much stronger, tougher, and more wear-resistant than plastic, so it can be made much thinner. As in 20 gauge or so for the screw, and the thinnest tube you'd feel confident welding on.

>>908148
If you post a floor plan / good description of the place and a description of what you're planning to do, we can put some advice together. Without an idea of what's going on or where, not so much.
>>
File: 5332f2f5e3ca4746.png (11KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
5332f2f5e3ca4746.png
11KB, 640x480px
>>908882
Sorry for how small the picture is, but I got it straight from my building's website. Might be able to get something bigger from the office and scan it later. The floor plan lacks specific measurements but the apartment overall is supposed to be 858 sq ft. I am looking to convert the bottom left corner area into the workshop area as the left side is taken up by the kitchen and the upper side is taken up by a couch and tv.
>>
>>908978
Bottom right corner, not left corner. Sorry.
>>
I realize this question is somewhat vague, but what's the lest amount of money I'd need to spend to get a new oscilloscope of reasonable quality? Preferably something that wasn't put together by an 8 year old Chinese kid.
>>
I want to make a small keyboard switch, as in, a switch that enables the keyboard on either laptop1 or laptop2 with cables. However, am I going to run into trouble if I connect both Laptop's grounds and VCC's together?
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 72

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.