[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what have you guys done today? I finally started spraying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 44

File: 20151020_170549.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151020_170549.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
So what have you guys done today?

I finally started spraying color on my car.

Razor blade stripped it to the gel coat and put rustoelum white primer on it 3 months ago.

Filled all the nicks and sanded a million times.

Now im spraying Baer High gloss exterior enamel in Cobalt blue.

Before I get flamed. I bought the car as a resto-MOD. 76 corvettes arent worth much and this one had rusted out floor pans/worn out engine.
>>
File: 20151020_170539.jpg (1MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
20151020_170539.jpg
1MB, 2656x1494px
More pics.

I need to pick-up more paint and a better gun.
Harbor Freight "detail" HVLP gun. Pain in my ass.
>>
File: 20151020_170524.jpg (1MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
20151020_170524.jpg
1MB, 2656x1494px
This is only the first coat.
Im planning on 4-5 coats with sanding after each one.
>>
File: 20151020_170513.jpg (1MB, 2988x1681px) Image search: [Google]
20151020_170513.jpg
1MB, 2988x1681px
Last pic.

One I get a smooth finish I will buff the hell out of it and wax.
>>
>>891038
cool car, i like that shade of blue!

also color-sand before you buff, thank me later
>>
>>891049 here, i probably should have added;
for the color-sanding, use a medium sponge on the flat parts. soft sponge around edges and body lines. start at 800 grit, two drops of dish soap in a gallon of water, soak paper 15 mins before using it, at 800 grit and up, the backing paper is more aggressive than the grit. warm water is easier on your hands, but doesnt matter to the finish.

buff from the center of the panels toward the edges, keep the buffer off of the edges, itll burn thru quickly.

former body/paint shop fag
>>
>>891036
>Harbor Freight "detail" HVLP gun. Pain in my ass.
theres some stuff you have to do to those guns before they are good. mainly adding an o-ring and dissembling it to clean out the sealer they used to put it together and adding teflon tape in certain places.
here is this guys video, he's autistic as fuck, but he's thorough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PiYhGLlQsU
>>
>>891059
Dang cant watch the video. Speakers went out on my laptop.

>>891049
Home depot, Baer Cobalt blue.
I have alot of chrome on her , including sidepipes, the blue should make the chrome pop.
>>891054
Its going to be a PITA. All the curves and contours...I have to hand sand 90% of it.

I looked at sanding blocks but couldnt justify paying more for the blocks than the paint. I ended up buying pool noodles, cutting them and wrapping paper on them.
>>
>>891032
What kind of filler are you using?

It IS a fiberglass and it WILL shed most fillers after a few months.
>>
>>891032
>76 corvettes arent worth much and this one had rusted out floor pans/worn out engine.

I bought a 78 Silver Anniversary that was haphazardly painted, and had a weak transmission. Paid 1200 bucks for it.
Drove it around for a while, did a bunch of burnouts, and when the transmission failed I traded it to a guy for a Wrangler.
I kinda regret it, but it would have wrapped up a lot of money to fix it up.

The Silver Anniversary edition vettes (78) arent worth shit, but every once in a while I get the feeling that they will be eventually.

Look at mid 70s camaros, they go for a fortune now.
10-15 years ago in the middle of the barn find muscle car fast and furious movement deal, they still were worthless.
I guess now that all the 68 camaros are bought up they have to keep going up in years.
>>
>>891063
>Its going to be a PITA. All the curves and contours...I have to hand sand 90% of it.
color sand should be all by hand, so you dont cut through the paint.

>I looked at sanding blocks but couldnt justify paying more for the blocks than the paint. I ended up buying pool noodles, cutting them and wrapping paper on them.
not blocks, sponges. specificaly for wet sanding cars. $5-8 bucks, should be available at good auto parts(not vatozone). probably also available from sherwin willams.

link to one on amazon, for pic, show to counter guy at auto parts.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-05526-Wetordry-2-3-Sponge/dp/B000PEPCGI/ref=pd_sim_263_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=1XX26NZ2EVFR1CZHHGSN

if your going to stick with the noodle, be extra careful on the edges and body lines.

Good luck, and send us pics when its done!
>>
>>891032
Just for future reference: anything made by Harbor Freight is shit.
>>
>>891079
Thats quite a generalization, why dont you go make a thread about it?

There are plenty of acceptable tools there
>>
>>891070
Bondo red. just used it for small nicks. nothing over 1/8th of an inch.

>>891075
76 had nothing going for it.
First year of polution controls. = no HP.
No chrome bumpers.
3 speed transmission.

A 76 corvette has nothing to distinguish it from a 77-80 other than the interior of a 74-75 and lack of power of a 77+.

The big problem is the stingray was an iconic ar during the time when classic cars(30s-50s) were getting big money. Everyone and their brother bought a 76+ stingray and half of them went into barns.

>>891079
I dont buy anything electrical from them. I buy hand tools or air tools. HF is hit or miss but I like them for cheap stuff. $5 for a tarp which home depot wants $15.
>>
File: thefuckisthat.png (693KB, 1036x426px) Image search: [Google]
thefuckisthat.png
693KB, 1036x426px
>>891032
What the fuck is this shit? You call this a smooth, paint ready surface? Why didn't you mask the keyhole on the door or the door handle? Just what kind of fucking rubbish hackjob are you trying to pass off here?

Why can I see original paintwork through the primer on the bonnet? Why are you painting outdoors where dirt, grit, bugs and all sorts of shit will blow onto your paintjob? Are we being trolled?
>>
>>891079
Their Jacks are a God send, their wrenches and hammers are durable, their sandpaper/cutting discs/dremel toppers are on point, their router bits are fine after being sharpened a little, their $8 drills and grinders are beautiful in an emergency and have lasted me fine, their screw drivers rarely chip, their wire connectors/cotter pins/o rings work just as well as any other brand I've used...Really I've had 2 bad experiences over 8 years. They're not my go to for tools I use daily, but aside from being ugly and sometimes anything but ergonomic I've been happy. I have the 2 ton engine crane for example, and despite everyone telling me it'll fail on me it supported an engine for 2 weeks without me ever having to pump the ram to get it off the floor. It hardly bled.

I honestly believe that a lot of the negative hype surrounding harbor freight is mostly perpetuated by old tradesmen who can't understand why "nothing" is made in the USA anymore and seeing that trades tend to be passed down that's part of the learning process most of us go through. Not saying everything away harbor freight is comparable to things designed for heavy industrial use, that's obviously not the case. If I had to drill into concrete daily I'd buy a milwaukee for a few hundred bucks, since I do it maybe twice a year if even I own a $30 Chicago electric. That being said, I owned a CE circular saw, and because of its performance I am now the proud of owner of a milwaukee circular saw and I couldn't be happier. Not that the ce was bad, it just wasn't as good.

Sorry to derail the thread, what I did today was go off on a tangent about things that don't really matter. I mean, if it's your money spend it on what you want.
>>
>>891087
I have a new set of handles and locks. The old ones are spot rusting through the chrome. New handles were cheaper than replating.
I also have new glass for everything but the rear window.

>Why can I see original paintwork through the primer on the bonnet?
You must have better eyes than me. It was a white car with red laquer primer and grey gel coat. I took it down to the dusty grey. The red spots on the front are the filler I used for fixing chips in the gel coat.

>Why are you painting outdoors where dirt, grit, bugs and all sorts of shit will blow onto your paintjob?
I have a 10ftX10ft pop up that I put plastic sheeting around to kill the wind/keep out bugs.
The crap you see is from a cheap gun in the hands of someone who has never used one before.

Im not trolling, I am running a thread about my WORK IN PROGRESS and looking for constructive feedback.

Tommorrow Im going to spot sand+prime the front where I filled the nicks. Im having to do the front end seperately because I cant fit the whole car in my makeshift paint booth.
>>
Love those original Chevy rally wheels! Nicest that GM ever made. Hope you still have the matching trim rings.
>>
>>891079
depends on what it is.

I have a vacuum pump that I've used on fridges for the last 4 years without any problems, still gets down to under 500 microns... fresh oil every month... still waiting for it to die... most of their other electric stuff I haven't been all that impressed by, it's hit or miss though....
>>
>>891032
>76s aren't worth much.
Thank god, the body is a work of art.
>Not to hijack thread but...
I got one that has bad not original paint, all sorts of mechanical issues and has never been taken care of exterior wise.
But great interior and matching numbers on frame, engine and tranny for what it's worth. Got it in inheritance, dad bought it from a rich asshole vette collector who only had unique cars. No one can find anything special about it, and I can't find any special 76s period.
I'd love to replace the engine with something with more power than a smartcar but keep the interior mostly stock.
But you gotta love the negative 5 star safety rating.
I'd also like to go full retard and essentially use the interior,frame and body only. Lift it and replace everything to have a 4wd farm cruiser.
Or just sell it.
>>
>>891130
I do, but I have to move the wheel weights to the inside before I can put them back on.

>>891137
I put a 383 vortec stroker in mine. I figured I might as well go classic overkill. I was in Tallahassee, FL a few weeks ago looking at a 53 Pontiac and saw a 76 corvette body on a truck frame with a 24 inch lift and swamp tires on it. The guy said it was his dads "huntin truck".
>>
>>891038
That's a beautiful old stingray. Those late 70's models are the prettiest Corvettes ever made, in my opinion. And those 350 small blocks are great engines. With a little judicious tweaking, you can turn that car into a low-flying aircraft.

Good luck with your restoration. That blue looks good.
>>
>>891160
Thanks.
I prefer the 68-72s for the chrome bumpers and specificalls the 68-69s for the gills style vents on the front clip.
>>
Get those old handles and locks off of there. You're gonna hate yourself if the new ones are slightly off and let the old paint show.
>>
>>891403
Theres a rubber seal that "supposed" to be under them. The old seals are missing. The new seal and handles should cover an extra 1/16-1/8th. I will pull them off just before the final coat. Right now I need them in place.
>>
>>891160
>you can turn that car into a low-flying aircraft
Didn't the first gen corvettes have issues with flipping at high speed?
>>
>>891469
Not with the weight. Vettes are heavy girls.

The first gen corvettes were pretty much chopped sedans with engines left over from the truck lines.

Vettes didnt get on a weight loss program until the late 80's, before then they just compensated with horse power.
>>
>>891478
I thought it had something to do with the shape of the front end giving it lift at high speeds.
>>
File: WP_20151021_09_25_25_Pro.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151021_09_25_25_Pro.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
So this is my first ever metal work, it's going to be a coffee table. Today I sorted out the problems and welded tee fillits along all the side bars (no photos).
I also cut three pieces of wood to test an' use as a measure.
Grinded all the sharp edges down.

Steep learning curve, sorted out some other measurement problems, learnt to clean the metal fully before welding.

Monday I might get round to welding it all together and cutting the rest of the wood.

Then sand wood and varnish or stain it and fit it another day.
Then try and sell it.
>>
File: Woodwind.jpg (59KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
Woodwind.jpg
59KB, 550x412px
>>891821
What kind of welding? I havent done anything except spot welding in over a decade.
What kind of wood are you using and what varnish. I laminated together some aspen and red oak and topped it with TruOil a few years ago for a gun stock.
If you are anywhere near Pensacola FL, I have some welding projects I will pay someone to do for me. Metal is already cut and bent. bunch of straight lines.
>>
>>891870
lol. wrong pic. I will find the right one later tonight.

Update on the vette. I got a new spray gun and polisher yesterday and spent all the daylight tearing down and degreasing the gun. Spent about 3 hours sanding the rear and prepping the front.
Im picking up more paint tommorow, washing the car and will be spraying again this weekend.
Anyone got suggestions for a brand for cutting, polishing and buffing compounds? Im not going for a showroom finish. Cheap is the keyword.
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 290x174px
>>891870
I'm just an amateur who brought a mig welder a month ago.
So yeah it's miged, and I have a fucktone of wood in my garden and endless wooden pallets, so I'm going to be using these wooden pallets, cut to 500 x 130 x 17mm

I've no idea what to do with the wood, thinking of going realy dark with the stain. How or what do I use to fix it? finish it? seal it? as it's going to be a coffee table.

UKfag,
>>
File: IMG_20151023_232328.jpg (1MB, 2080x1560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151023_232328.jpg
1MB, 2080x1560px
I'm finally almost done with my new workspace. My old one was 6'x6'. Way too small. The new one is 10'x12'
>>
File: IMG_20151023_232346.jpg (1MB, 2080x1560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151023_232346.jpg
1MB, 2080x1560px
>>892386
The miter saw has just over a 3' cut range on it before it hits the back part of the bench. I very rarely cut pieces long than that for what I do.
>>
File: IMG_20151023_225038.jpg (1MB, 2080x1560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151023_225038.jpg
1MB, 2080x1560px
>>892388
The most important part that I finished today was adding internet to it. I found a small parabolic wifi disc ages ago. I mounted that on the top pointed to the house to bring the signal in. It gets passed to the computer which has a crossover cable to a router. This way I can connect my phone while I'm out there. It works good enough for youtube and video chatting with family. I just have to go grab a tupperware container tomorrow to protect it from the rain.
>>
>>892386
>>892388
>>892391
Wyane?
>>
File: 20151023_192616.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20151023_192616.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
I made this bootie. It's a bit big for my 6 week old boy, but I wasn't expecting the first one to turn out very good anyway. I learned a lot making it though, and should be able to whip up a better fitting pair much more quickly now that I know what I'm doing. I think I'll make him a special Christmas pair to wear in December out of red and metallic silver leather, then another wooly pair as a gift (which my wife will open obviously).

Material is lambskin with the wool still on the inside.
>>
>>892468
>metallic silver
Meant metallic green, whoops
>>
File: level2toa2-3.jpg (420KB, 3182x890px) Image search: [Google]
level2toa2-3.jpg
420KB, 3182x890px
Fixing up some toilet stalls.
>>
>>892386
>>892388
that's quite a comfy pocket-workspace. Do you have some pocket-jointer or planer as well ?
>>
>>892492
Thanks man. Unfortunately not, I've got a folding router table I'm almost done building off to the side. It's got a split fence so I can joint the sides of boards. The planer will be coming in a month or two.
>>
File: DSC08266.jpg (70KB, 638x959px) Image search: [Google]
DSC08266.jpg
70KB, 638x959px
Just finished my 3-coats' varnishing on this DIYed bathroom's washer.
>>
>>892646
dang thats nice
>>
>>892468
It's nice, you should try some sort of aviator's cap. I had a lamb leather cap when I was baby and it was fun and warm.
>>
>>892646
That's beautiful
>>892710
That's a great idea. I think I'll try and make him a matching set of booties and hat.

If I can whip up a pair of booties within an hour, I'll probs try and sell a few.
>locally hand crafted genuine lambskin booties, only one gorrillion dollars
>>
>>892646

Well done; that looks terrific.
>>
File: IMG_20151024_154158.jpg (904KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151024_154158.jpg
904KB, 2448x2448px
Finished my referb of an old trailer. Fresh steel sides, welds, wiring, primer/paint/roll on bedliner. This morning finished installing tiedown points and a roll-out vinyl cover.
>>
Ok, my dad has a 78 stingray in the garage. It needs fiberglass work pretty bad. Did you do any fiberglass on this one? How difficult was it? Would you spend the money on a pro or no?
>>
>>893082
Not OP, but...Fiberglass work is a nasty, nasty, messy, nasty thing. But once youve done it 2 or 3 times, its pretty easy. But still nasty and messy.
>>
>>893082
>Would you spend the money on a pro

Thats a LOT of money for quality work
A lot of body places wont touch vettes because of it
>>
>>892646
Shame there's no grooves for the tile to disappear in or something like that.
Looks good though!
>>
Looking good OP.

I built a "floating" workbench in my garage today, and ran a dedicated circuit for the outlets (one is underneath on the bottom shelf for a battery charger or something). I modeled it after the guy who did the "shed is sad, help me cheer her up" thread. Still gotta mud the drywall and fill in cracks/screw holes with putty. I may add some pegboard to the wall and put that dark smooth shit on top (can't remember what it's called at the moment).
>>
File: why shield.gif (2MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
why shield.gif
2MB, 200x150px
>spraying with a can and not a gun
>>
File: TheOldHatWobble.gif (426KB, 285x190px) Image search: [Google]
TheOldHatWobble.gif
426KB, 285x190px
>>893252
>not actually reading the thread
>>
File: cost and za.jpg (8KB, 248x247px) Image search: [Google]
cost and za.jpg
8KB, 248x247px
>>893255

>that shit was done with a gun

Got a lot to learn OP.
>>
>>891032
Its cheaper to use an hvlp and real auto paint.
>>
>>893082
Unless you have aton of experience with glassing, dont do it. The curves and lines make it really difficult. Buy replacement panels and have a pro graft them. Dont have a shop try to repair the damaged ones, the labor costs will be more than the price of a new panel.
>>
>>893256
Yep. Im learning.

>>893259
Using HVLP.
I dont want to use laquer paints because Florida sun. Non-laquer auto paints arent cheap. Im not going to drop $2000 on paint for a daily driver/fun car.

I havent been able to do any work on the Vette, damn rain.
>>
File: WP_20151028_11_15_18_Pro.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151028_11_15_18_Pro.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
I made 6 of these little ones and one big one about 240 x 21mm

Just a test really, the Max Max fad has been and gone, maybe it will sell through coz play.
>>
>>894511
210mm*
>>
File: WP_20151030_15_58_33_Pro.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151030_15_58_33_Pro.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>894511
>>894512
also a work in progres, been at it for two weeks, hour at a time kinda thing, first one and so many mistakes, next time should only take me a few hours.
>>
>>891037

That actually looks quite cool in matte blue.
>>
File: IMG_20151030_170543232.jpg (998KB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151030_170543232.jpg
998KB, 1456x2592px
Made this
>>
File: abstract feel.jpg (56KB, 636x640px) Image search: [Google]
abstract feel.jpg
56KB, 636x640px
Did great in my oxy cutting exam, did shit in my plasma cutting exam.
>>
File: index.png (15KB, 100x107px) Image search: [Google]
index.png
15KB, 100x107px
>>891032
>Now im spraying Baer High gloss exterior enamel in Cobalt blue.

Isn't this water base house paint?
>>
>>895772
That is dank.

Good vibes
>>
>>891032
more pictures?
>>
>>896239
not him but, enamel =/= latex
>>
I made some flowers for free, could sell for £20 each, should be dry tomorrow, I'll post results. To but materials I guess it would cost £5 per flower.

I sorted the wood for my coffee table, laid it out to dry, maybe take a week??? Cost on this is stupid because I fucked up so many times.

I'm designing a 2600 x 800 x 50mm table for outside with two benches. Should cost under £100, could sell for £600 or keep it.
>>
>>891032

would have been much faster and cheaper (and have yielded better results) to get it sandblasted

plus it is going to take WEEKS to sand, buff and polish that paint to get any kind of show shine (providing you dont burn or eat through the paint in the process), would have been easier to rent a air compressor and (like another anon said) a HVLP paint gun with epoxy primer and a urethane base and top coats.

the future owner of that car will be cursing your name for years. im a profession painter and this thread made me die a little inside.
>>
>>896401

I question your attention to detail as a painter when you missed that the OP is using an HVLP gun...

I do agree though, he completely jumped the gun and went to painting way too soon. That car needs a lot more prep work.
>>
>>896377
pics?
>>
>>896342
http://www.behr.com/consumer/products/exterior-paint-and-primer/behr-premium-plus-hi-gloss-enamel
Cleanup with soap and water.
>>
File: WP_20151103_07_48_30_Pro.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151103_07_48_30_Pro.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>897014
The small centre one is not painted, just put it in before I took the picture, looks better, and will look better.

Also hole thing will look better outside, that's taken in a dark garage with shit strip lights and flash on phone.
Still only cost me the price of paint, which I was buying for another project anyways.
>>
File: 1442252061659.png (64KB, 297x297px) Image search: [Google]
1442252061659.png
64KB, 297x297px
Haven't made shit, have been blocked for weeks.

>Have tools for woodcarving, electronics, stuff to sew and embroider and several drawers full of absolute junk I hoard
>No fucking idea what to make or what use for it I could.

I also find myself being a sortof-ok-at-most-trades but I am more like inquisitive/beginner-tier in all of them. Would you guys recommend I take classes or try to find some beginner books to understand fundamentals and make stuff? I just can't seem to stick to any one thing and prolonged time not practicing makes me forget fucking everything.

Aid me, brethren.
>>
>>897365
if you are wanting to make money, find a cheap source of material, make something, repeat.
Try make it something you want to make.
I don't think i;'ll ever make the same thing twice, but I will make many tables, just not the same design.
£100 materials - £300 table, fuck most 2.4 meter tables look shit and cheap and are selling for at least £800, mine will be sturdy as fuck, weather proof but would look good indoors and have two full length benches for £300 that's 200% profit, I'm not fused about time taken.

Not everyone want's to make tables.
>>
>>897420
Yeah I was thinking of trying to make money with the DIY skills I develop like rent a stall at these markets where people sell allsorts like tea, decorations, hand-carved stuff, jewelry and allsorts but I'd like to actually develop a skill. I want to stop being so beginner-tier in everything and actually get good at one or two or them.

I'm the kinda guy who wants to try doing everything at least once. My next fancy is soap-making and I have an interest in perfume-making too. I've done some carving, electronics, woodwork, sewing, embroidery, tea-blending, engraving, painting and I have a decent amount of tools available for most of these things. I want to find what I'm truly good at out of these, or what do I really want to develop. Is it strange to say even after trying them all, I still don't know?
>>
Tried to solder back the clip on my ID card reel.

It didn't go well.
>>
>>897421
Save up some money before you do that.

You have to rent those stalls.
>>
>>897442
The stalls are actually dirt cheap as these events are temporary. 3 days max usually.
>>
>>897420
How DO you make money with what you make?

I mean it's not as easy as making something then posting on Facebook is it? You need to market yourself and your skills, or have a shop of sorts physical or online.
>>
>>897421
I know what you mean, I'm kinda the same I wona try everything and spend more time sitting and reading and perfecting an idea rather than going out any buying materials.
I started a welding course because I wanted to make garden sculptures, 6 weeks into the course I've made a market stall with a guy I met, i'm still waiting for the wood to dry for my coffee table, and i've made those poppys' (not my idea of fun) and I brought the wood for my 2.4 meter table yesterday, in fact it's still in my car.
Motivation, once you make one thing you'll get the urge to making something else. Yeah you will fuck it up, I wasted maybe £60 on the coffee table, but I have scrap metal to play with and test on now...

>>897442
>>897553
eBay, gumtree, craigslist in the USA it's shit here in the UK, Etsy.
But getting it out in the local public spreads word by mouth, cuts down on delivery charge. Also you might be able to get something in a shop, but they will charge commission, up to 20% sometimes.
Never had a facebook account but i know there are local pages on there.

I once set up a treasure hunt in the Peak District, £50 prize, no entry fee, built myself a fucking amazing website with timed pages and releases, NO-ONE went for the first one, it took 48 hours for someone to actually go and find it, BUT he was a geocacher, and once he posted on his facebook, geo site and groups, by the 8th treasure hunt there were 400 people going for it. I stopped after 8 months because I was getting poor.

I have the idea to set one up in my local town and charge people £1 entry for £50 prize and then if there are more than i think 72 people enter the prize money starts to go up. 72 dues to costs.
>>
>>897421
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO MAKE?
>>
>Fiberglass
Braver man than I. (probably itchier too)
>>
>>897680
anything, really. but I don't consider myself good enough to make anything but small trinkets, not cool things like tables.

The idea is "anything within my skills that are also marketable".

>>897679
I see, that's pretty good. I was under the assumption sites like Etsy require a fuckton of marketing and telling tons of people since there's so many of them.
>>
File: 002.jpg (873KB, 2160x2224px) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
873KB, 2160x2224px
First paid project coming out of the new workshop. A woman at my mother-in-law's church asked me to make her an unfinished 30"x36" frame with burlap in the middle. First time cutting coves on the tablesaw, pretty fun.
>>
>>898546

Someone paid for that knotty garbage wood?
>>
File: 1398570577.jpg (60KB, 470x685px) Image search: [Google]
1398570577.jpg
60KB, 470x685px
>>898568
> someone did something I am incapable of and I need to lash out at them despite the fact neither of us know each other, and I will literally never see this project again. That'll make me feel better about how useless I am!

Here anon, hurry. Your mascara is starting to run.
>>
>>898568
Yeah, she's painting it with chalk paint. She specifically asked for the cheapest wood so I ripped from a scrap 1x6 pine I had.
>>
File: WP_20151030_15_58_26_Pro.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151030_15_58_26_Pro.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>898317
I had never seen a welder until 6 weeks ago, and it's piss easy to make a table, all you need it equal angle 30x30x3mm and wood cut to size.
Yeah you need a welder and Argo shield and all the safety shit, depends what you got, I had to buy it all... it's an investment, I hope.

I have noifuckingdea what i'm doing, never had confidence in doing anything, but it's easy, just try it, try something, just do it.
I just brought a propane tank, now I have to make a fucking tool to get the valve off.
Then i'll but it up with my plasma cutter and make some cool shit out of it, i'm thinking a light.

Etsy take 25% of the product you sell.
£100 sale they take £25
They charge 13p (40 cent) to post an advert that lasts 9 months? I think, so not the best place really, that's why nothing's cheap on there.

Again tables aint cool, I thought they were until I made one, well I don't know if i've posted a pic earlier but pic related, it aint note special, and i'm using broken up pallets for the top. A friend convinced me i'm guna have to paint it.

>>898594
>>898546
Good on ya.
>>
>>898701
go watch diresta's youtube videos

he likes to sand down all the steel and use presto black followed by briwax or clear coat.
>>
>>898707
you are my god for the day
>>
>>891070
I'm new to auto body repair what does this mean? Is bondo not oreferred?
>>
>>898707
besides being my god,
I also found an awesome reclaimed wood supply which i've just watched him using to make a simply bench, my kinda thing. My mother like straight lines though, once i've made her her table and bench, he will be a great source of inspiration. Thanks.
>>
learning html/js/css
>>
>>898701
25%? I thought Etsy take 3.5%

But that is a pretty cool idea. I hope you succeed, I'm thinking of trying to make a Totoro plush for my sweetheart. If that turns out good I can maybe make some other well-known characters and sell them at markets. Just a starter idea as I do love to sew. I'm just bollocks at measuring really, but patterns should help with that.
>>
File: MDR-7506.jpg (136KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
MDR-7506.jpg
136KB, 1000x750px
So today I got my Sony headphones in order.

I'd previously soldered a jack to these, but it was junk. I got a good one and replaced it, and ordered some huge soft earpads for them for maximum comfy. Because of that, though, these stay at home.

1/3
>>
File: MDR-V6.jpg (131KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
MDR-V6.jpg
131KB, 1000x750px
>>899665
Then I tore apart my V6's.

I dremmeled out a nice hole for the jack without the stupid metal screw thing. I replaced the drivers with units from an old set of 7506's, and replaced the cable between the cups with a kewl-looking one so it doesn't rub or get caught in the arm (a big problem with these).

I ordered a more durable but still somewhat comfy set of earpads. These are for the commute.

2/3
>>
File: Cables.jpg (163KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Cables.jpg
163KB, 1000x750px
>>899666
Then I took all the cables and soldered male jacks to the ends.

3/3 also satanic trips
>>
>>893082
find a boat body guy and ask him. If you are in Georgia I know of a few good ones.
>>
BAMPU!!

I wanna see more finished projects!
>>
File: tvnopaint.jpg (111KB, 788x695px) Image search: [Google]
tvnopaint.jpg
111KB, 788x695px
>>899665
>>899666
>>899668

Looking good man.

>>898701
>>899431

Etsy takes 3.5% from my store. Ilet it automate the shipping charge, but actually purchase my labels through Shippo. It's a bit cheaper. Here's the latest thing I've finished. It's a tissue paper dispenser that uses toilet paper. I'll paint it later. Not really sure if it's something I'll sell or not.
>>
>>891032
I pulled about a foot and a half of gunk out of the shower drain. I had already given it up and started pulling the cleaning brush out when I realized I had hooked the big one.

Also changed the shower curtain
>>
>>891094
I worked in a really nice body shop years ago. Our paint booth was about as good as you could get at that time, and our painter had really good equipment. He was also godly at matching and mixing colors by eye, often better than our computer could do.

When the car rolled off the lot, you've never seen a nicer finish on a car. Right after he started laying down coats it looked worse than yours. The guy just couldn't put it on smooth to save his ass. It was crazy watching him sand and buff for hours and to see how amazing it ultimately turned out. Every time he'd put down the first coat I'd swear he'd be fired. He would have had a lot less work had he just learned to spray a little better, he certainly did everything else great, but in the end you couldn't argue with his results.

Not saying you shouldn't strive to do your best on all steps, but you can definitely take care of some of your mistakes later in the process.
>>
>>893082

I do fiberglass and carbon work for a living, I definitely wouldn't start with something that's just one big ass curve, unless you really like grinding. If that's the case, have at it
>>
>>900539
What's your job, anon?
>>
File: IMG-20151112-WA0002.jpg (135KB, 747x1328px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151112-WA0002.jpg
135KB, 747x1328px
Aside from the coffee table i'm going to be selling my parents wanted a similar style table for outside.
Here is what I and a friend put together yesterday.
The wood actually fits inside the metal frame and will be secured underneath so as not to fall out.
The wood will be stained rustic oak and the metal painted with Hammerite, hammered finish in black.

Then we gota make two benches to run alongside it.
>>
File: IMG_20151114_145207.jpg (4MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151114_145207.jpg
4MB, 2340x4160px
>>891032
I don't ever post in /diy/, typically just /o/.

Here's my 77. Doing my mechanical work than exterior stuff. I've got the block bare now and its going to be machined soon.
>>
File: IMG_20150424_162832~4.jpg (1MB, 4208x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150424_162832~4.jpg
1MB, 4208x3120px
>>901926
>dem spelling errors
Fuckin phone

And here's the car, for reference
>>
I started in on fixing the bathroom floor for my mother. This was a major mistake. I know the house is sinking and will need to address that later. What I didn't know was that the goddamn drains on the tub and toilet are cast iron, that the flange of the toilet is broken and the toilet bolts to the flange, or that the tub drain is completely fucked. It's like someone shoved clay or dirt or something into the cast iron part of the drain. Never mind the galvanized part that was attached to some copper pipe, because that galvanized pipe crumpled like aluminum. I have open Pandora's box.

The good news is you can now sit on the toilet without thinking you might go through the floor. Still got to get the tub and sink back in, hopefully tomorrow. Got to piece that drain together somehow. Fucking nightmare
>>
>>900501
How is your experience with Etsy? Do you make decent money off it and what does it take to be successful at it? I've heard of networking like mad, basically whoring yourself out on social media as well as making your own website and paying for hosting etc.

Tell me the real deal.
>>
>>902619
Seconding this. Maybe I'll make soap.
>>
>>901948

Don't even bother trying to fix rusted out cast iron shit. Throw it away and replace with PVC --> this is coming from the tragically wiser.
>>
File: 14.jpg (49KB, 393x603px) Image search: [Google]
14.jpg
49KB, 393x603px
>>902865
I aint done shit, tried to a cnc plasma cutter to work, no fucking look. working on the files now, see if I can get it to work tomorrow.

I should be finishing of my table, but i think i got food poisoning.
Bed, food, sleep.
>>
My retarded dream is to /diy/ a 67 Corvette frame and body, with a modern engine and fancy interior bits.

It's feasible. The assembly lines they were made on were on par on with a decent /diy/ shed. And plexiglass can be molded without expensive machines, unlike sheetmetal.

And with an eyepatch and parrot edition of SolidWorks, even a retard can outperform the top engineer in the 60s.

I'll never probably get around to do it tho. Depressed and tired, monotonously wagekeking to the end.
Yay....
>>
>>902706
Someone did a lot of the work on that front for me. By which I mean there's a rubber coupling and I'm going off that and converting to PVC. Can't afford to repair all of it at the moment, unfortunately.

For added fun, the job has turned into tearing all the tile out and repairing the walls as well. And the people who were supposed to help me have evaporated so I'm working blind for a while.
>>
File: WP_20151118_11_54_27_Pro[1].jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151118_11_54_27_Pro[1].jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>902868
This is not finished
This is shit lighting

Needs another 1, 2, 3 coats a paint and another layer of stain.

Not bad for first thing i've ever made.
>>
>>901340

I'm a shop supervisor at a composites shop, most of our work is making tooling
>>
>>903144
Still nice, anon. Question though.. you had said you're going to sell it for 300 pounds or so. I mean don't get me wrong, it looks good and sturdy but it looks like something one would have in a workshop or a garage, not a nice garden or patio. Would people actually use it for that purpose and buy it for that amount?
>>
>>903148
this is my first and it's for my parents
there will be two benches with it
next time I will use square legs

it's not what I wanted, but there was a few fuckups along the way, hence the wood being encased in the metal.
The wood was suppose to be "inlay" in a frame.
Still only cost me £85 and I can get that down to maybe £60 so a £150 sale price would be ok.

the benches, i have not worked this out yet, price or structure.

it's a learning curve.
>>
>>903153
>>903148
Also I can not stress enough how the lighting effects it, it's like 80's strip lighting and only 3 of them work out of 10
>>
File: table.jpg (29KB, 800x425px) Image search: [Google]
table.jpg
29KB, 800x425px
>>903154
>>903153
I see, fair enough. Just thought people would prefer something more fancy looking, like pic related. But your table for 150 pounds sounds reasonable and looks sturdy as fuck. Don't worry about the lighting, I know how it feels.
>>
>>903148
>>903156
Yeah not really into fancy for this table, I have have access to a laser cutter so I can cut out some fancy ass shit on the legs or engrave/etch/burn designes in.
I have a great idea for a glass/perspex table with metal casing and LEDs.

May be it looks like it's for a workshop because it's in a workshop? bad time or season to make an outside table, but once it's all finished with benches i'll get some pics of it out on the garden.
>>
>>903157
Ahh fair enough. I really am looking forward to your finished work, man. I'm the guy you advised way back on >>897365 . I want to move to england at some point in the next 2-3 years hopefully, but I want to have a skill I can use to make money by myself. Of course I'll probably end up living in a student flat so not much bloody space there..

The mental fog and blockage persists and having to go to work doesn't help. What sells in england? What kind of demand is there for DIY stuff? Anything at all! If I could start marketing shit abroad from before I even move, that'd be great.
>>
>>903160
It's hard to sell anything in England unless you have the money already. Because it's a small island everything is so close so everything is easily accessible or deliverable. Hard to explain really, Guess it's the same all over the world, you want something go on-line and buy it.

There's a fuck load of welding jobs, or care jobs, main reason I took welding course. I was told today that someone is interested in hiring me but I know nothing more than that...
I'de love a laser cutter of my own, but I think i'm guna get a plasma cutter for £7,000 to start with.
>>
>>903199
Well I come from Malta, so if you want to see a small island, go there. I see England as incomprehensibly massive. I just want to develop a service or product that I can market/push anywhere from my house here or from a student flat the size of my current bathroom (where I'll probably end up living for a while when I move)

I just need some feedback from people who have the experience in England. Y'know how frustrating it is to have the drive, the determination and the time to really develop something... but not knowing WHAT to develop makes you not do jack shit? I don't want to waste my current funds on dead-ends, can't afford to..

The quest to happiness, ey.
>>
>>903202
Yes I also have to drive to make something, do something but what?
I have plenty of ideas but nothing you can make in a small room.
>>
>>903203
I was thinking something scalable. Perhaps marketed online because all you need is a laptop for that. Sewing/Embroidery/Accessories? But that would fall under small-scale hobby work basically. I need something that will help me develop a marketable skill so if my main career doesn't pan out, I don't die of hunger and being homeless.
>>
>>902619
>>902681

Real talk? It's kinda hard. Most of my money comes from the market here in town. They have it every Saturday from March thru November. The fees are pretty cheap. The promoted listing option of Etsy works good. I post on facebook a decent amount whenever I have something new. I also post weekly on local facebook groups. Most of my money comes in commission form. Loft beds are real popular. The biggest way to make money on Etsy is make what someone else is, but make a little bit better for cheaper. I've got a few things that sell very regular which are cheap to ship and quick to make.

I don't make enough money to live on, but I get ~$400 from Etsy each month. More from the market, but it all just depends.

Another thing that sells is anything that gets posted on facebook. There's these picture frames I make where the real version is like $45 for a 3x5. I sell them for $20. The videos of the folding tables and picnic tables that convert to benches also do decent. These are too big to really do through etsy though. I sell one or two of these a month.
>>
>>903594
Thanks anon, gave me some good insight.
>>
>>903594
Indeed, thank you for the wisdom. I guess everybody wants to find the best deals and as long as you find that sweet spot that makes a product sell at a worthwhile profit, maybe you'll find success.

Guess I need to think up a skill and develop that shit. Wish I had space to practice, all the proper crafts need a garage or workshop.
>>
File: Untitled logo.png (54KB, 1744x976px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled logo.png
54KB, 1744x976px
>>905499
Well I got banned for a few days but,
I finished the large table and it's outside, i just need to put some rubber around the feet.

I have finished half my wood for the coffee table and it's looking better than I expected.

I should have got the wood and metal for the benches today but I'm illin, feel like shit, another day, maybe tomorrow.

Planning electric chair replica next.
>>
>>901350
having the wood _under_ the L profiles sucks no ?

1 - You don't get the L to support the wood
2 - all kinds of dirt is going to accumulate between the wood and the L-shape when you try to clean the table
3 - no completely flat surface. You can't sand it.
4 - COLD touch in winter, or BURNING touch in summer for your arms.. wtf

I don't get it.
>>
>>906664
Doesn't suck that much really, just 5 metal beams holding the wood in place 800 x 50 x 5mm

1. Yes this was the original idea, but a few fuckups along the way, mainly with the wood lead me to this, and it looks ok, this is the first thing i've ever built.

2 It's an outside table, more dirt the better, fill the gaps with mud grow some flowers, a bit of moss... we live in an old far so it'll really fit in.

3 I've very surprised how sturdy it is, and even on the large cobble stones outside in the court yard, there is no wobble, completely stable, maybe due to it's length?

4 again, it was not my first choice of design. I could always sell it as an inside 2.4 meter table if I build 6 chars for it one day.

Do you get it cost me £200 (with the benches) including the paint and stain, and with experience I can get that down to maybe £130, a different design for the legs, maybe £90.
Now look up the price of a 2.4 meter table and find me a new one for under £1000
I'm not really in it for the money, £150 build cost £30 delivery = £180, sell it for £300 = £120 profit.
>>
>>906831
please excuse the grammar, i'm ill and it's 4 in the morning,

I live in an old farm house*
If i make £100 on anything large i'm happy with that, as I refine my work and ideas building cost will become cheaper and shit will start to look nicer.
For instance I have just found a black oxidising chemical thanks to this >>898707 anon.
It leaves a nicer more rustic black, no drips, no paint, no heat, just add a clear coat or wax afterwards. Might be a little more expensive but I think it's going to be worth it for the look you get.

Also on the table I brought 4600 x 200 x 45mm wood which cost £44 If you can only see the top of the wood, and it's going to be supported underneath to it will feel just as strong if it's 20mm thick, this will save me 50%.
Brand new, shiny, showroom look is not what i'm going for, i'm building stuff that looks like it's been used and will fit straight into a farmhouse or industrial style décor. That's just how i've always lived, not that we are poor, just everything in the houses has always been old oak and rought iron, now we live in a farmhouse. May not be the biggest market, but fuck it, i like it.
>>
File: WP_20151027_08_46_12_Pro.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151027_08_46_12_Pro.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>906836
>>906831
>>
File: WP_20151028_13_18_40_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151028_13_18_40_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>906837
it's 4:37 I have nothing better to do but waste time for another 3 hours. There is a lesser spotted woodpecker on the bird feeder. (Taken with phone).
>>
File: WP_20150930_11_42_46_Pro.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150930_11_42_46_Pro.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>906839
>>
File: WP_20151018_16_21_46_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151018_16_21_46_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>906840
I wish I was a well loved dog, such an easy life.
>>
>>891032
Cheers from /o/ m8. I think what you're doing is pretty admirable and its sweet that you post updates. I myself have a 69 Chevelle and a 74 Corvette for a project, though I'm going to hotrod mine, and give it a 63 split window, chrome bumpers, 69 front, and build a 540 bbc.
Thread posts: 140
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.