[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey guys. where do i find free hardwood (oak, maple, walnut

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

File: 1430766070511.jpg (295KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1430766070511.jpg
295KB, 960x1280px
hey guys.

where do i find free hardwood (oak, maple, walnut etc)

You will not believe how expensive this crap is.
>>
File: 1429288397012.jpg (70KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
1429288397012.jpg
70KB, 540x960px
>>
File: 1431214778740.jpg (64KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1431214778740.jpg
64KB, 1280x960px
>>
i'm really just here for the girl
>>
File: money.jpg (163KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
money.jpg
163KB, 1080x720px
>>
Fucking hell, /diy/, this isn't /b/.
>>
Doesn't Home Depot give away leftovers?
>>
File: 1431707665853.jpg (82KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1431707665853.jpg
82KB, 480x640px
>>886627
I often rummage through their 'purple' pile (wood scraps sprayed with a purple mark and sold at an 80% discount) and 99% of it is unacceptably bowed, split, or knotty framing lumber and OSB shaped like hammocks.
>>
>>886627
They don't give away hardwood, they hardly even handle any. If this was a serious question I would suggest calling around to various woodshops and cabinetmakers and asking if they have any offcuts (rare)
>>
>>886619
Wood comes from trees.
You should find an oak tree and extract the wood from within by using a saw.
you simpleton.
>>
Free wood? keep posting pics and it'll appear

Seriously tho, try craigslist. Somebody's always giving out free furniture. Might get lucky and find an old hard wood antique.
>>
you might be able to get some from cabinet making places, but don't expect to get anything large.
>>
>>886619

Try a local charity shop. You'd be astonished at how many idiots throw out a solid wood piece of furniture that simply needs a sand and a varnish.
>>
File: 1425683594356.jpg (204KB, 813x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1425683594356.jpg
204KB, 813x1280px
guys, after hours of research I've concluded that the cheapest way to get hardwood is to search for hardwood flooring on craigslist. There seem to be tons of contractors who want to offload flooring leftover from projects but unfortunately they often stipulate that you have to buy all of it (a truckload or so) or fuck off.
>>
>>886619
pretty hot for a tranny
http://www.okcupid.com/profile/ummokaythen/photos
>>
>>886691
Is that solid hardwood flooring or laminate
>>
>>886705
that's clearly carpet you moron
>>
>>886714
Wut?
>>
>>886619
>>886691
Ok, hardwood flooring is a decent source if you need a lot, but there are cheaper sources.
A big percentage of pallets are made of oak, which is why they're so commonly used for projects. You'll need to dissasemble and plane, but good source for small oak boards if you are careful to pick pallets that were probably not treated with nasty stuff.
Second is other shipping lumber. >>886630 has the steel studs shipped in and the strap holders on the bottom are some sort of hardwood (definitely not pine based on the density and wood grain, but not sure exactly what. Probably oak.)
I've also heard that if you're nice at the lumberyard they'll let you take the hardwood shipping lumber (because if a lumberyard has tons of maple boards, they use the uglier ones to ship the rest on instead of paying for pine or whatever).
Next is furniture. if you look, you can find cherry and walnut and oak tables and desks (big slabs), and occasionally mahogany. You'll have to pick through to learn to identify particleboard with a veneer or plywood tops, but even cheap tables often have hardwood legs.
If you'd rather have a lot and are willing to spend a little money, ask your local goodwill or salvation army where they send furniture that doesn't sell. They usually send it to a salvage dealer, and you can pick through all the hardwood tables with dents and scratches for a few dollars.
>>
>>886633
yea because cutting down antique for the wood is worth it.

I doubt that you would get some nice wood from it.
>>
>>886748
Pallets are good for outdoor usage but I would not use it for indoor wood projects.

For indoor projects I would go for (reused? )flooring.
>>
>>886623
it's a trap
>>
>>886700
>http://www.okcupid.com/profile/ummokaythen/photos

Dat catfishing profile.

>>886748
Pretty much all pallets are full of "nasty stuff" stamps only tell you what the manufacturer treated them with. Not anyone down the line.

Cabinet shops often have offcuts that go in the dumpster but they're never big.

If you live in an area with forest, some farmer and rural folks cut down trees and mill them. Often not dired and never kiln dried though. They sell for much cheaper than you'll get anywhere else.
>>
railway sleepers
>>
>>886760
Yea you know it's not like Alan Peters one of the best cabinet makers of the last hundred years used to rip apart old furniture and use it... Oh wait he did as it's the most stable timber youl find. As long as you know what you're looking for you can find amazing boards from antiques, especially mahogany and teak, Christ I re used an old science class teak desk and made a dresser out of the damn thing.
>>
>>886761
>>886847
Like I said, you need to be careful about picking the pallets.
From what I've heard, the safest ones are custom sized pallets for domestic shipping. usually they only get sprayed with nasty stuff when going through customs etc, and usually only REALLY bad when going through 3rd world customs.
So if your careful picking, I wouldn't mind having pallets be indoor projects, just not stuff you're in common contact with or will be in contact with food.
Protip, don't use pallet wood for garden boxes, only flower planters.
>>
>>886619
Check out any place that gets delivery of heavy materials, the pallets and baulks used to support the stuff in transit tends to be made from hard woods, there is a metal wholesalers near me and the baulks used there under the metals are usually super dense heavy hard woods, I've picked up a couple of nice bits there.
>>
>>887066
Yeah, its not like it could have been used for nasty, disgusting, unsafe stuff after its was made, right?
>>
Try finding your local habitat for humanity group. They salvage materials and you'll find a good deal of stuff there for cheap.
>>
>>887066
Science pallets are the best, especially at a university. I work for a Chem Dept, we get shitloads of solvents and the pallets are usually nice and clean. Every so often a scientific instrument gets ordered and that usually means multiple custom size pallets ranging from standard, thick ass high quality plywood, or even on rare occasion moulded plastic.
>>
File: Marbles-No.-10-Camp-Axe-for-web.jpg (1MB, 2891x1364px) Image search: [Google]
Marbles-No.-10-Camp-Axe-for-web.jpg
1MB, 2891x1364px
>>886619
for free?

Step 1, pic related
>>
>>886619

Quebec. So much of the shit people burn it here to keep warm. Makes me sick... 150 year old sugar maple logs being cut into foot longs because some developer need to clear a lot
>>
>>887066
no they get sprayed when they go through fancy developed countries international ports. shit tier countries have diseases, god tier countries have functional quarantine
>>
>>887285
Meh. 150 isn't old growth. So it's practically a crop at that point.
>>
ill give you 5 kilos for a tit pic
>>
>>886619
>hey guys.
>where do i find free money (dollars, pounds, dinero etc)
>You will not believe how expensive this crap is.
pine tree takes 25 years to grow
oak tree takes 150 years to grow
welcome to reality

if you want hardwood to make something nice or sturdy, the cheapest/easiest option (in the USA) is the read oak boards sold at Lowe's and Home Depot
this is already cut into finished boards that are flat & square, so you don't need to do that part (normal hardwood isn't sold like that)
yes it costs more than pine, but it is way harder & stronger.
FYI: you don't use nails in hardwood, you use screws. and you need to drill pilot holes for the screws, or else the wood will split.
>>
>>887090
i think that's not the point, i read a while ago that paletts have a special chemical coating sometimes/often/always which isn't healthy for daily contact. i think it is so the wood doesn't mold or soak up water.
>>
>>887328
>if you want hardwood to make something nice or sturdy, the cheapest/easiest option (in the USA) is the read oak boards sold at Lowe's and Home Depot

Easiest, yes. Cheapest, not even close.

>FYI: you don't use nails in hardwood, you use screws. and you need to drill pilot holes for the screws, or else the wood will split.

Nails and screws have different applications. You should pre-drill pilot holes though.
>>
>>887303

sugar maple trees grow to about 400 years tops. 150 years is quite big enough tbh.
>>
>>886623
Ok, im really just here for the guy
>>
>>887404
>Ok, im really just here for the guy
rule #1: every 'girl' on /b/ is a guy until proven otherwise
>>
>>887423
Thats not Rule #1.
>>
>>886619
The forest.
>>
I don't believe this is a trap. The facial bone structure is simply too feminine.
>>
>>887090
Jeezus, that's... not even that bad. oooh, got touched by dead animal that is clean enough for people to eat... what a disgusting thing. Also, one reason I said look for stuff that would be domestic, not pallets from international markets.
And yeah, standard size pallets can be used for years until they break. Custom sized pallets are usually only used once, though, then thrown away, so only have one thing on them.

>>887286
... First off I said go for domestic shipping ones, so wouldn't matter. Second you are incorrect. They get sprayed with the regular insecticide in 1st world ports. They get sprayed with bootleg nerve toxin that gives everyone cancer forever because it's slightly cheaper at 3rd world ports.

>>887339
Many pallets do. You want to look for ones labeled HT and conforming to the international EU standards. Pretty much just wood cooked to slightly polymerize it and kill off everything inside, no chemicals. I wouldn't suggest making cooking tools or tables or clothing drawers or stuff you're in regular contact with, but picture frames, shelves, decorations, ornaments, furniture frames (for the parts under the upholstry), I personally would feel comfortable with, as long as it was labeled in a way that made me feel it probably hadn't been treated with nasty stuff, and there were no stains etc. on it.
>>
>>887443
Rule one doesn't apply.
Only outside.
>>
>>887671
Thinking like that is what got us to today. I have been saying that for eight years and you idiots didn't listen. Now moot is gone and we have /pol/ and /s4s/.
>>
>>887539
MAH PALLETS GUYS!

Dead animals are very bad news. The meat and pallets are handled in very different ways. Wood soaked with shit, urine, and blood are not something you want in your house.

Regular insecticides and pesticides are, get this, toxic to humans. Something made to kill insects and mice, probably isn't too great to handle frequently. Even worse for children and dogs who might chew on it.

You never know what was shipped on that pallet, and you never know what the pallet was shipped under, and you never know what that pallet was set on.

BUT SINGLE USE PALLETS!

Custom sized pallets are usually not single use. I've worked with pallet recyclers before. They take anything wood. They have no issue cutting down a large pallet to make a smaller one with it or use it for parts to repair another pallet.

Plus pallet wood is often treated before it is even formed into a pallet. That wood sits there for a long time, usually just plastic wrapped.
>>
>>886619
>free

lol
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.