[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does the little indicator on Brita filters work? It usually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: brita.jpg (65KB, 628x472px) Image search: [Google]
brita.jpg
65KB, 628x472px
How does the little indicator on Brita filters work?

It usually has 4 bars, or on some models different colored lights, that count down to when you should replace the filter.

Got into an argument about this earlier, and apparently nobody knows.

It seems like it must either measure how much water gets poured out, or simply how long the pitcher is tipped. Otherwise it's a simple 90 day (or however long) timer that resets when you put in a new filter and push the button. (The digital gauge is not connected to the actual filter in any way.)

I'm on the side saying it's not a basic timer, but somehow measures use.

Does anybody actually know?

I tried this thread on /ck/, but thought you guys might have a better answer.
>>
Why didn't you just call their customer support line?
>>
>>883892
this is diy, how about you open it up and see what components are in there?
>>
>>883896

One anon on /ck/ said he stopped buying filters, and just used it as a regular pitcher, which made me think someone here might be in a similar situation and get the urge to take their's apart.

I'm also in a situation where a few people would be pissed if I did that.
>>
>>883892
it's a timer. that's all. you can push the button and reset whenever to see for yourself.
>>
>>883900
This. It's nothing more than a timer. It counts down on a fixed frequency and has fuck all to do with the amount of water that has passed through the filter.
>>
>>883896
>open it up and see what components are in there?

It's a water jug. It's potted.
>>
>>883900
>you can push the button and reset whenever to see for yourself.
doesn't prove anything

op, buy two, leave one full of water but dont pour anything out of it
second one leave it on its side. drill a hole and connect it to water supply so its constantly pouring.

post results
for science
>>
>>883910

>drill a hole and connect it to water supply so its constantly pouring

While that would be the quickest way to figure it out, it seems like just not using it for a month or two and seeing whether or not the display changes would be the cheaper way to determine whether or not it's just a simple timer.
>>
>>883917
>trying to conduct an experiment
>no control subject
you disgust me.
at least make a record of times & amount poured during regular usage for the lifetime of a (preferably 3 or 5 actually) filter(s) to compare.
>>
>>883892
Don't know if they're all the same, but mine has a tilt sensor. The instructions say as much, plus you can here something inside move once you tilt the pitcher. Other than that it just counts the tilts I suppose.
>>
>>883892
look OP ill help you out since everyone in this thread doesnt have a clue

Ive got one of those they have a little ball bearing inside them that runs a linear track. you can hear it click back and forth if you take the lid off and tilt it like you were pouring water.

it knows how many times u tilted it so it probably counts upto a designated number or something.
>>
My feeling is that there isn't anything in there besides a timer. Maybe I should take apart mine since the battery ran out.
>>
>>883961
This. Someone at Brita probably worked out how many average-sized glasses of water it'd take to kill the filter and programmed it for that many pours. Not like drinking unfiltered water for a few days will kill you.
>>
>>883892

Depends on model, apparently. The one I had a few years ago was just a timer. Would run down even if nobody was using the thing. The rest I can only assume use a tilt sensor like others have pointed out. No idea if there's any around that are more advanced than that.
>>
If the Brita folk cared a damn about measuring water they'd stick a laser rangefinder plus accelerometer in there and record changes after the water settles. Even Keurig can do crap like that.

So if they don't it means either that they're being cheap or that it doesn't matter. Maybe even both.
>>
>>884067
>water filters
>don't matter
you figured it out
>>
The base models are just a timer, but the more expensive models use something else.
>>
>>884067

Why not measure flow rate through the filter? It stands to reason that a filter will get clogged with whatever it is that it's supposed to be filtering. Only problem is you'd have to account for pressure, but including a pressure sensor is not necessarily beyond the wit of man.
>>
>>883900
This. They just figured an average filter life.
>>
>>883892
https://www.quora.com/How-do-Brita-pitchers-keep-track-of-when-you-need-to-change-the-filter

Literally Google result #5
>>
>>885509

>2010
>>
>>885515
That's a good point. It clearly doesn't account for the massive technological revolution that occurred in water filter technology over the past 5 years.
>>
>>885526
I'm waiting for a java or android based water filter with Bluetooth connectivity
>>
>>885605
Internet of Brita. Our app will alert you when it is time to change the filter (still timer-based though).
>>
>>885607
Sounds about right, put all the r&d money into bells and whistles. I want temperature controlled water filters
>>
>>885460
buy more goddamn filters. but only ones that fit this retarded profile. there's no money in the starter kits. all the money is in the replacement filters.

>buying the water purification jew
>listening to the water purification jews water bug that tells you to buy more water jews
>>
>>885941
>breathing the diatomic Jew
>>
Could it be resistance based?

More minerals in the water, different conductivity/voltage...
>>
File: water jew.png (25KB, 195x220px) Image search: [Google]
water jew.png
25KB, 195x220px
>>885941
Uh... Buying a water filter jug, but not replacing the filters is kinda pointless. Don't buy it at all, if you're that cheap.
In principle, you could refill the used filters (replaced when you notice the "filtered" water tastes like shit) by yourself. It's just activated charcoal.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.