[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

lcd general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1.jpg (965KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
965KB, 2448x3264px
Anyone know pinout of pic related? It is an 1" LCD that i pulled from an old camera.
Meanwhile, LCD general. What projects do you plan on using LCDs in?
>>
File: lcd.jpg (716KB, 2481x1860px) Image search: [Google]
lcd.jpg
716KB, 2481x1860px
It probably some nasty high speed parallel interface at an obscure voltage, bet it has a really simple controller so you'll need to refresh it at something like 60Hz. Backlight looks like a CCFL so good luck generating the voltages for that. If you really want to use an LCD like that in a project I'd recommend you get something with a well documented controller and/or interface.

Pic related.
Left is one of them 4D systems OLEDs being driven over UART (super easy to use, very expensive to buy). Right is a cheapo generic Ebay 2.8" LCD with a 16bit parallel interface (fiddly to connect, super fast to drive if you have enough I/O). Running both from an STM32F40x eval board thing.
>>
>>883122
I'll have no problem with the tube backlight. I'll be using it in a delaminated form with natural light as the backlight.

I'm fine having to manually feed in a clock signal to refresh. I'm wanting to keep this project as cheap as possible (and as light as possible where i can), so I'd really like to use this display.
>>
>>883247
A quick google of the numbers in your pic reveals nothing. If you know the model of the camera it might be worth searching for replacement LCD for it, that should give you the part numbers so you can find a datasheet.

What are you planning on driving it with?
>>
>>883285
At this point, I have no plans for what I'll be driving it with. For usability, I'd prefer to use a small *nix PC, but other than that, ... End product will require pulling sensor data, as well as limited video over Bluetooth.
>>
>>883389
Well I managed to find the archived page on the manufacturer site. The screen is a 1.8" TFT color LCD display http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_archived_product_details.asp?id=94&fl=4 still can't find anything else on the screen
>>
ok,
count the pins on the ribbon
white/pink are the backlight right?
other wise it woulld be on the ribbon
anyways
count the pins/traces
then, google
"digital picture frame hacking"

when i was doing the same thing, harvesting lcds n shit, thats how i found out information about my screen and how to use it. just look for one thats basically the same as yours
>>
File: 1.jpg (750KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
750KB, 2448x3264px
>>884240
I think there are 28 pins on the cable, but dang those pins are small and hard to count. Yes, the pink and white should be cathode and anode for the backlight. As for your suggestion, I've been trying, had been hoping someone might have recognized the screen and already have a pinout. If someone wouldn't mind checking my count...
>>
>>884266
I count 24... Or 48 if the ribbon is double sided, but I doubt that.
I'd recommend looking up the datasheets for the camera and checking out what video controller board it used. Or if you still have the camera, follow the traces to whatever chip connects directly to the LCD, then find the datasheet for that chip.

Once you know what protocol the chip outputs to then you can look at finding how to drive the LCD.
>>
>>884295
The cable is single sided. After my last post, I recounted and concur with 24 pins. The rest of the camera had been misplaced, but as I recal, the driver chip was a custom wrapped chip.
>>
>>884570
Ohh, I forgot, the whole camera worked on 5v logic.
>>
>>883122
>stimmer 3-2
my nigga
>>
the short answer is; you CAN'T figure out the interface just by looking at it. Actually finding a datasheet is like winning the lottery.

So what you need to do is put the screen back into the camera, get it working, then get a logic analyzer and sniff the lines to see what is going on, and to deduce the protocol. Scope some of them beforehand to rule out an analog drive. Most screens like this will be parallel RGB digital.

You will need something like a FPGA or very fast MCU with a dedotated lcd driver that happens to be compatible with your display.

The only screens that are "easy" to use are smart SPI/i2c displays with integrated contrllers - these are basically never present in commodity products.
>>
>>885302
First, I'm a user of 4chan, I don't have my own logic analyzer.
Second, even with the camera working, how would I convert an image into what data I would probe from the lines? There is very little text written to the screen, am I supposed to just somehow guess what pins control what part of the screen and magically convert text into pixel locations? Wouldn't a better approach be to hook up a clock signal to various pins until a blanked screen shows up (finding the sync pin), then using a 5v source, pulse in signals on another line and watch what pixel area changes?
>>
Anyone read Ching Chung moon runes? I may have found my LCD. http://www.cn716.com/sellmarket/sell9480234.shtml
>>
>>886290
So ws-Tc015-01 is the actual model number, incase anyone can find an English data sheet.
>>
>>886293
Looks like if i can find the rest of the camera, I should be able to pipe in composite video into the control chip.
>>
>>886268
Not that anon, but a USB logic analyzer will set you back maybe $20 on ebay/alibaba, and is a good tool to have. Trial and error will take too long (20 pins = 2.4e18 possible pinouts!)
You should first try to figure out the pinout, the clock pin would be pretty obvious, if a group of pins seem to be collectively counting upwards you can assume them to be address pins, anything randomly and rapidly changing is probably data etc.. Just make sure you study well what is happening before you try to repurpose the screen. Also, take a look at a number of lcd control chip datasheets to get an idea of how the data could logically be formatted.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.