[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i want to make the glass on the left, what kind of paint

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: yGsu36Z.jpg (995KB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
yGsu36Z.jpg
995KB, 4128x3096px
i want to make the glass on the left, what kind of paint do i need to make this?
>>
It looks like a vinyl cut sticker to me.
>>
>>760951
I know you hipsters love vinyl cut. But actually it is screen printing.
>>
>>760949
so like some kind of paint screen and an exacto knife?
>>
>>760949
Ink, not paint:

http://www.inkcups.com/inks-thinners/screen-pad-printing-ink/cg/Default.aspx
>>
>>760949
The paint is baked on at a very high temperature (1000C) in an oven. Search for "Painted bottle lehr"
>>
>>761022
So, look for someone who has a ceramics set up and has an annealing oven.

As for what type of paint to use, I am not sure. You will have to silkscreen it whatever it is. There is very little information available online about how this process works. You may have better luck searching through historical books on the glass manufacturing process.
>>
>>761022
No... that is different, these glasses are ink... I use it all the time.
>>
File: image.jpg (91KB, 600x393px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91KB, 600x393px
>>761165
Here, got you started, photo cut a screen:
>>
>>761022
>The paint is baked on at a very high temperature (1000C) in an oven. Search for "Painted bottle lehr"

Yeah, no, it isn't. Glass is very much unable to hold its shape at 1000C. For that matter, no "paint" is able to survive anywhere near that temperature.
>>
File: 801231.jpg (72KB, 413x315px) Image search: [Google]
801231.jpg
72KB, 413x315px
>>761173
1000F then. It is a manufacturing process that was started in the 1930s for applying painted labels to bottles. I am sure there are plenty of hobbyist products on the market for doing similar work, but those glasses were not made with that process.

As for the paint, it is probably made of some sort of powdered glass or ceramic derivative.
>>
Glass/ceramic decals. Typical firing range is about 1000ºF, not Celsius. Low temp decals can be obtained for ~300-400ºF. Send PDF to a company that prints them, orrr silkscreen/resist transfer china paint enamel on ceramic decal paper yourself.
>>
>>761195
Yes, china paint is finely powdered glass frit carried by something like gum arabic
>>
>>761195
Heres a reference.
http://www.bottlebooks.com/ACL%201937/bottles_applied_color_labels.htm

"The color is applied in the form of a paste‑like material, through a screen of silk, in which the design has been formed. The bottle which contains the impression of that design must then be dried and then fired by conducting it through a lehr, which is a long, tunnel‑like enclosure through which the bottles pass at a carefully controlled rate of speed and in which definite zones of temperature are maintained. The maximum temperature chosen is such that the glass body will not melt, but the softer glass involved in the color will melt and rigidly fuse on the glass beneath it"
>>
>>761195
Yes, but this is nothing but epoxy ink... don't over think this.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.