[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is my Vietnam war era machete and it's handle is loose!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: handlebreak.jpg (848KB, 4608x3072px) Image search: [Google]
handlebreak.jpg
848KB, 4608x3072px
This is my Vietnam war era machete and it's handle is loose!

Being that I use machetes as intended for my work as a landscaper this is unacceptable.

I need to make a custom hand-fitted handled for my favorite tool but I have no fucking clue what I'm doing....
>maybe paracorde?
>>
>>717065
>loose
in what way
>>
>>717067

The last rivet(?} is missing in the handle which makes the whole thing wobble in my grip.

This if the finest blade I've ever owned but the plastic grip is shot.
>>
>>717065
>wanting your hands blistered to shit and your paracord worn out and useless
>paracord handles
not even once

Make a proper handle for it. Google knife handle tutorial.
>>
File: handlebreakmissing.jpg (275KB, 2028x1878px) Image search: [Google]
handlebreakmissing.jpg
275KB, 2028x1878px
>>717067
>>
>>717077

I do use this tool vigorously for hours at a time.

You think paracorde is shit for demanding work like that?
>>
>>717079
Paracord handles suck in general. Do you think a bit of cord wrapped around a handle will fill up your hand the same way the proper handle will? What happens if you use the paracord? Then you have to use the bare metal tang. Making handles is pretty easy, just get some handle slabs (wood/micarta/g10/whatever the hell you want), drill some holes, glue and pin (brass/steel/whatever rods, cutler's rivets, loveless bolts, male/female bolts), and shape to your hand. Use your Googlefu OP.
>>
>>717081

nice
>>
Put a new rivet in it you fucking dunce.
>>
op, new machetes are rather cheap...
>>
File: plasticmoulding13.jpg (88KB, 510x249px) Image search: [Google]
plasticmoulding13.jpg
88KB, 510x249px
>>717065
http://www.atomicshrimp.com/st/content/plastic_moulding
>>
File: machetes.jpg (646KB, 2593x4608px) Image search: [Google]
machetes.jpg
646KB, 2593x4608px
>>717102

This is /do-it-yourself/ NOT /be-lazy-and-buy/ buddy

I'm a man who knows his Machetes and thanks to living in the rainforest for 6months I'm very fluent in how to use them.

YOU WILL NOT FIND a better machete then those issued to the US military for combat in Southeast Asian.

Pic related.
>>
>>717103

/thread

Sweet tech bro
>>
File: Screenshot_2014-10-27-14-45-48.png (853KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2014-10-27-14-45-48.png
853KB, 1080x1920px
I have a similar design Dominican machete that I wanted to practice making a handle for. I used a grinder and rounded off that spot for the missing rivet. Then got a bubinga wood block from Lee valley and traced the shape of the handle. Cut I out, glued one side on, drilled the rivet holes through the existing ones, glued the other side and drilled through the existing holes again. Then I used brass rod as rivets and just tapped the the ends with a ball peen hammer to peen them. You can mark where your fingers are one the blocks to get an idea of how to shape it. Generally you want the thickest part of the handle to be in between your middle and ring finger. Then you can shape it however you want, with files and rasps or a belt sander. I just used a clear coat to finish it and it turned out pretty good for a first try. <pic related> the new handle
>>
>>717103

That is genius
>>
>>717119
>YOU WILL NOT FIND a better machete

>help loose handle

wat
>>
>>717186
>wat
It's fifty years old and used hard and frequently.
>>
>>717188
kinda on topic, how often do you sharpen it?
>>
>>717191

I sharpen it with a wet stone seldom but it never seems to even needs it. These US 1968
Ontario blades are legendary.
>>
>>717103
why is the repaired handle smaller than the original?
does plastic shrink when cooled?
>>
>>717171

That's a legit handle bro. Ultimately something a handle like this - custom to your hand - is what I need but my DIY power level is not yet high enough.

>soft metal brass/hammer for rivets
>think handle part placement.
Pro Tips I'm down to try.
>>
>>717740
>thick handle part placement*
>>
>>717065

If you are not up to making a new handle or even putting in a new rivet, try a sex bolt (Google it).
>>
>>717065
Why is paracord so highly valued? I've only seen it fail all the time, it's ten times shittier than most normal rope I've seen used.

Some asshat at a camp I was working in tried to use it to secure a bobcat vehicle to a small post we were trying to pull out while boasting about how indestructible it was. It snapped immediately.

What's the hype?
>>
>>718841
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_cord

Read and get learned.
>>
>>718845
I know what it is, I'm just pointing out that I've only seen the use of parachord result in substandard performance. Just saying what I have personally seen.
>>
>>718845
>http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_cord
That doesn't really explain anything about why it's so popular.

I blame armchair survivalists that have never tried to use it for anything.

That '550' is a static load, never climb with it, or use it to hold anything life threatening.

>durr but it's used while parachuting
Like a hundred separate strands of it are used in one chute.
>>
>>718850
It doesn't take up a lot of space, it's cheap, and can be used to perform a variety of tasks adequately.

It's a jack of all trades master of none kind of thing.
>>
>>718867
I macrame with it (it's the best).
>>
>>717065

just re-rivet the damn thing. find some new rivets or other nut/bolt type fasteners that fit the rivet holes and re-fasten it.
>>
>>717740
Take handle. Put rivet in hole. Hit rivet with hammer.

Or you can make a rainbow plastic dildo handle, you prancing homo.
>>
you can pierce rivets, remove them and insert new ones, but whime you're at it, replace those ugly plastic handles with wooden ones.
if you do that, you also have the possibility to use a screw to join the two pieces, but screw it a bit more than needed so that the tipe exceeds the handle by half a centimeter, then use an angle grinder to cut if off, and sand paper everything so it looks good then oil it
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.