[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Extra juicy! | Home]

Trapped by a Hair Trap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

I have a house built in the 1960's with two bath tubs fitted with hair traps similar to that shown. The drains are now slow and I can't snake them because the snake can't get through the trap. Liquid plumber hair dissolver helps a little but the drain is still too slow to take a shower without the tub filling.

The idiots who built the house didn't leave any access panels so I have to open walls/ceilings to get to these damned things. I managed to get to one through a closet to see what it looks like but I can't get purchase on the bottom plug to remove it.

Any ideas as to how I can clear these without opening up my walls? A water bladder won't work because the drain is attached to the tub overflow. Same problem with a plunger or compressed air.

I have no idea if there is a strainer inside of if it works like a big P-trap.
>>
>>1243182
>I have no idea if there is a strainer inside of _or_ if it works like a big P-trap.
>>
>>1243182
>it works like a big P-trap
this
>>
File: Drum-Trap-440x330.jpg (34KB, 440x330px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Drum-Trap-440x330.jpg
34KB, 440x330px
>>1243185
>>it works like a big P-trap
>this

except that proper P-traps are self-scouring, meaning they don't fill up with hair or dirt.

However, as seen in pic related, you can repair a drum trap by sawing the bottom off and putting a coffee can on it and sealing it up.

apparently they suck so much they are not allowed any more:

http://www.startribune.com/how-bad-are-drum-traps/203360321/
>>
>>1243192
>http://www.startribune.com/how-bad-are-drum-traps/203360321/

Yep, that's exactly what I have and, as the article says, it's between the floor joists of an upstairs floor and not accessible. What a mess.
>>
>>1243182
Try shop vac, then really hot water.
(Cover drain, take cover off over flow (remove linkage if internal stopper) and vac from there)
Lather, rinse, repeat a couple of times if you have to.
If you do open any walls, replace the damned thing.

If you are patient and don't mind pulling muscles, you can remove it and replace it with a P-trap through your closet.
>>
>>1243182
Hair is usually only one of the problems.
The rest is skin and soap buildup and that doesn't move well even with drain-o stuff.

Those are usually lead cans. And after a long time they are just about impossible to unscrew.

I have a bathroom that was the same. Used a bio-stuff called ZEP. It took about a month of treating it before the drain cleared up. You just can't use chemicals with it since ZEP (and ilk) are hungry bacteria. Seen other brands out there. Powder and liquid. Probably all the same stuff.
>>
>>1243259
Correction.. five months. Treated it about once every other week. It was effing slow but did eventually work.
>>
>>1243212

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

I have two of them and, although I can reach one with a wrench through the closet, there just isn't enough room to saw through the plumbing and replace it without major demolition.
>>
>>1243259

How often did you treat it with ZEP?
>>
>>1243259
>Used a bio-stuff called ZEP
ZEP is a multi-product company

>>1243266
>How often did you treat it with ZEP?
>>1243261
>Treated it about once every other week
>>
>>1243275
True, they make a lot of stuff
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zep-Commercial-Drain-Care-Crystal-Drain-Cleaner/38692006
>>
>>1243182
you want enzymes specifically made to break down fats and hair. Talk to a plumbing supply store about it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.