[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So winter is coming soon and I have a old house with no attic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: fiberglass.png (447KB, 750x380px) Image search: [Google]
fiberglass.png
447KB, 750x380px
So winter is coming soon and I have a old house with no attic insulation. The attic is quite large and I would like to use it as storage as it is huge. I would then need to use the floor so I cannot put insulation on there. I would put spray foam up but that is expensive. I was thinking of putting up fiberglass batts on the ceiling and walls instead. Is this a bad idea? I have no roof vent and I need insulation. Also for some reason the floor is tongue and groove floorboards so I cannot rip them out. Pic kind of related to what I want to do.
>>
>>1242671
normally there are vents in the eaves
leave about 50mm/2inch between the insulation and the actual roof timbers to allow air to circulate otherwise it will damp and rot?
>>
>>1242692
My soffits are not vented, they are solid so I didn't think I needed to do that.
>>
Glasswool wont rot...

But you can use styrofoam too. Its dirt cheap and you can use pu foam as glue. Just get a long enough nail. Put some small pu dots on the styrofoam panel then nail it on the wood with the nail. The nail holds alk ubtil the foam hardens. Also you get a natural small air pocket for extra insulation
>>
>>1242702
I thought about foam boards but those are very expensive. The fiberglass is the best bet for money.
>>
Where do you live that styrofoam is more expensive than glasswool.

You will habe to put a water barrier foil on it.

You can also go dirt cheap and use just some cheap pe- foil and fold it so that there are 5 layer on top each other and nail it to the wood. You will get problems with mold this way.
>>
>>1242671
>use it as storage
as conditioned space? or just to keep the heat from coming through?

cut holes in the floor and rent a blow insulation machine, add insulation below floor boards
>>
>>1242671
do not insulate the roof
>>
>>1242815
This. Your roof isn't designed for it and you need to do more research
. The tldr is you need to install vented soffits and roof vents before you put the batting up.

Depending how much shit you want to put up there, your ceiling might not hold the load either.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.