[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i was trying to fix my grandparents garbage disposal and the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 20170910_151600.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170910_151600.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
i was trying to fix my grandparents garbage disposal and the happened. any ideas for getting the other half out?
>>
>>1242272
Drill.
>>
dremel a slot into it and use a screwdriver or epoxy another screw onto it and use a screwdriver after it's cured. precision counts, don't derp the threads on the female part of wherever that came from
>>
File: images (1).jpg (9KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
9KB, 384x384px
>>1242272
Screw extractor
>first use a penetrating fluid like pb blaster, wd40 or atf+acetone
>drill a hole in the center of the screw
>Insert extracror and extract that nigger
>>
>>1242272
picture of assembly?

is there any part of the screw you can grip?
if you can, put a few drops of oil and let it sit
use visegrips to unscrew it

if it's recessed, use a center punch to make a center dimple
drill out the middle with a small bit for a screw extractor

the 'epoxy or glue a screw onto it' is a fairy tale that is passed down from generation to generation to teach them not to trust people older than them
>>
If it was even slightly dripping/leaking, it's rusted out, if it was frozen and you can't unjam it, it's rusted up
go get a new one for under $100
Not worth spending hours on something that won't last even a few more days even if you did make it move.

If they don't need the disposal, just go grab a strainer, tailpiece, trap and extension and get rid of it.
>>
>>1242312
it had a butter knife wedged in it
>>
>>1242317
you had to take the body apart to get the butter knife out?
that bolt is rusted/corroded, that's why I figured it was fucked and not worth any extra effort.
If you are damned determined to remove replace that broken bolt, put in rust remover or pb blaster, let it soak. That tiny a hole, your best bet is left handed drill bit, hoping it grabs and turns, otherwise keep drilling so you can use an ezout style screw extractor.

It if was brand new, I'd say spend up to 2 hours on it, but it's old, has rusted corroded bolt and is getting old, but for a small residential disposal, not worth much time considering how much longer it'll last versus just replacing it now.
Like a water pump on a car, you could use the equipment to take it apart, replace bearings and seal, then use the press to put it back together, but it's not worth it unless it's some insanely expensive one and you already have equipment
>>
File: 15050978613651310016902.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
15050978613651310016902.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>1242330
yeah i did, it was way in there and theandle was pressed against the top of the area.

i just tried to use a screw extractor and it snapped. is it bad of me to drill it out and use a zip tie?
>>
>>1242272
center-drill + left handed drill bit

also spray some penetrating oil in the hole to loosen it up first
>>
>>1242279
this is the correct answer
>>
>>1242279
This.
>>
>>1242426
but it broke
>>
If you've snapped a screw extractor in it, it's junk. You won't be able to drill it out as the screw extractor is harder than the drill bit. Replace or remove the unit.
>>
>>1242530
>brake screw extractor off in a single bolt hole
>whole thing is junk

i think you should fuck off back to reddt and let the real men talk
>>
>>1242531
>let the real men talk

ok real men, it appears that he has a tiny screw that he managed to drill an try a screw extractor but it broke. assume worst case that it is flush or underflush. ok real men, next step?
>>
>>1242531
I think you should try drilling out a snapped screw extractor, and shut the fuck up until you've tried it.
>>
>>1242547
are you saying you don't have a set of 21 solid carbide drill bits at hand at all times? or a tig welder to rebuild material if necessary?
>>
>>1242547
Actually, I do have a set of cobalt drill bits, and if I could get the waste disposal off to set it in a drill press I'm confident I can get it out. But I'm not OP, and I doubt OP has either a drill press, cobalt drills, or a clue what he's doing.
>>
>>1242549
forget freehand drilling with solid-carbide twist drills, they snap under tiny amounts of side load.
>>
>>1242405
>i just tried to use a screw extractor and it snapped. is it bad of me to drill it out and use a zip tie?

show us a picture. show us pictures. we can fix this sir. zip tie might be the solution, but maybe not ideal. could a small screw and nut go in place of the zip tie.

pictures. this looks fun.
>>
>>1242549
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VAUB_qJIKk
>>
surprised this thread is still up

OP here, drilled the whole thing out and fastened it with a nut and bolt.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.