[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>oh boy gonna turn my garage into a laundry room >it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: pep3279834.jpg (11KB, 258x195px) Image search: [Google]
pep3279834.jpg
11KB, 258x195px
>oh boy gonna turn my garage into a laundry room
>it's actually not a garage but a converted carport
>also an unlicensed structure
>failed inspection because the garage door (which we rarely open and itself sits on the ground) is technically too heavy for the structure
>asbestos roof tiles
>likely lead paint used as the exterior's base coat

on the bright side the cracked slab isn't a major problem since it's just a driveway and not a foundation
>>
>>1241927
So what's stopping you from putting a washer and dryer in there?
>>
>>1241927
Might as well convert it into a landfill.
>>
>>1241929

City requires a new inspection for new sewer drains. Have to pass before I move appliances in.

>>1241931

yes, which is going to be a fun experience because I can't even move a storage trailer in because I have a bunch of nonfunctional (as in not starting or rolling) vehicles in front of the garage doorway.
>>
>>1241927
>failed inspection
Well there's your problem.
If you were just moving a washer dryer in there and otherwise had no problems, could get an electrician for the dryer, plumber if needed for the washer,
then you should have just hidden/run the drain outside along the ground to the nearest cleanout, and gone in there with a combi-tee (retaining the cleanout access) As long as you're quiet and aren't about to sell, Shouldn't have bothered with permits as long as everything was otherwise legit.

If you are now stuck with inspectors coming back, either try to find it in your local code, or call code enforcement and ask anonymously/hypothetically if you can just build an inner frame (like when you add framed walls to finish a basement, but shorter so you can run beams across to provide new replacement support for door)
-Otherwise you'll likely have to convert to carriage doors or a roll up door with it's own support frame.
Being "unlicensed structure", is it old enough to be grandfathered in, or do you now have to rebuild it with permits or bring it up to current code?
>Surprised the vehicles weren't a major code violation in themselves, considered junk or abandoned.

Have you done any of the plumbing etc? If not, in the meanwhile, might be able to adapt/treat washer like a portable if one wall faces kitchen with window near sink. Extend drain hose through window, secured with strapping into sink. Supplies either adapt to faucet like regular portable, or poke holes in wall below sink and run hoses through there to connect to sink valves.
>>
>>1241964

>Being "unlicensed structure", is it old enough to be grandfathered in, or do you now have to rebuild it with permits or bring it up to current code?

Nothing is grandfathered in, it's pass or fail. Although we can make whatever modifications to the structure to bring it up to code, I'm debating bringing in an engineer who can tell me if the struts holding all up are even worth it. I think removing the door will help a lot of things, it's a massive piece of shit that is older than both me and my parents.
>>
>>1241966

Also to give an idea of how old the house itself is, there's no underlayment or insulation just whatever scrap wood the builder could find glued together. When my parents bought the place in '85 they put up drywall over it, which they could get away with because at the time the electrical was so fucked (no conduit or receptacles) it all had to be replaced.
>>
>>1241966
Old wooden garage doors are PITA. Replacing with wall plus double door, rollup, carriage, or barn door?
Or do you mean tear down carport, add small shed for washer dryer and then add carport roof, or redo properly from scratch as addition?
>>1241967
>underlay scrap wood
You mean screed laid/tarred on slab under floor? At one time you couldn't put put flooring directly on slab, since before plastic under slab, slab would sweat or wick water from underneath and without those air pockets/channels would rot floor. Anytime you get rid of screed you need to seal it or put vapor barrier down.

If it was me and ended up having to just scrap the existing shit, I'd take out small equity loan to put in proper garage, extra deep for small laundry room, extra high ceiling for working on shit in the air or putting in a lift later, and a second story room/apartment/storage thing for any number of reasons. As a pseudo loft apartment but with interior stairs with locked door in garage, as well as exterior stairs, rent it out and it'd pay for itself, and with interior stairs, before changing adding secured exterior duty door to stairs later on, it shouldn't change it into a multifamily or duplex classification.
>>
>>1241983
clarification: meaning regular interior, with or without door, style stair case to pass inspections, code, etc and stay classified as single family dwelling
then later exchange that flimsy interior door or no-door for exterior quality door to secure loft apartment from garage and the rest of house.
Even with some trustworthy cousin/niece/nephew/friend/etc renting it, I'd still want a proper secure door, just to keep them or their guests honest.
>>
>>1241983

Technically I'm allowed to have an unlicensed structure on my property all I want, but so long as I do I can't sell it, rent it or run any sort of business from it. As for modifications, we can do whatever is needed to make the structure pass, but at some point (and that point is adding new studs or driving new posts) it makes sense to just build a new structure entirely.

>If it was me and ended up having to just scrap the existing shit, I'd take out small equity loan to put in proper garage

I would do that too, but that's also a big time commitment which I don't want to do unless I have to. Also doing a new structure means I have to deal with my neighbor's trees (which hang over it in violation of the fire code), which he has protected by the city. Dealing with that problem necessitates a lawyer and a bonded tree trimmer (because ain't nobody touching his tree for fear of getting their asses wrecked by the city).
>>
>>1241939
>yes, which is going to be a fun experience because I can't even move a storage trailer in because I have a bunch of nonfunctional (as in not starting or rolling) vehicles in front of the garage doorway.
Confirmed for white trash
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.