[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

impact wrenches

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: air.jpg (54KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
air.jpg
54KB, 1000x1000px
I'm looking for the most lightweight impact wrench I can find. This means no cordless ones.

My options are either corded electric ones or air ones. Which one offers more weight savings?
>>
>>1240677
https://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/en-us/power-tools/products/impactools/2135ptimax.html

It's not the full-on industrial top-of-the-line model, but it will do everything you need it to do.
>>
Don't bother with corded electric one. Maybe get one of those as a backup for shit you can't get the air hose to, but otherwise not up to snuff.
>>
>>1240677
Air is as light as it gets assuming you have a compressor that can keep up.
>>
File: CP7782-6.jpg (36KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
CP7782-6.jpg
36KB, 640x640px
Well... Light Impact wrench could mean anything when you've not mentioned what working range you're looking for.

The fact that people have replied without hinting at working torque shows they're just as clueless with their 'dont use corded' bullshit rhetoric. Steel erectors use corded and cordless because they're ideal.
>>
>>1240738

>working range

Essentially a benchtop, my existing corded drill (a cheap thing from ikea that I have totally beaten to shit) is going out and I need something more powerful, at least capable of reliable driving 3" screws into timber. The only reason I'm even bothering with air is because I have enough space for the right sized compressor.
>>
>>1240738
>The fact that people have replied without hinting at working torque shows they're just as clueless with their 'dont use corded' bullshit rhetoric

Was pretty clear that OP's only concern was what was lightest for a given torque rating.

And, across the board, an air tool will always be lighter than equivalent electric, simply because air motors are much lighter than electric ones.
>>
File: 12V Milwaukee.jpg (17KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
12V Milwaukee.jpg
17KB, 350x350px
>>1240742
>at least capable of reliable driving 3" screws into timber
The tool you're looking for is called an impact driver. Most are cordless these days because they're small enough and with plenty of power that there isn't much point in bothering with a corded one that you can't just pick up and use anywhere. They have a quick-change 1/4" bit holder that should handle most any driver you'd want. Milwaukee has an excellent 12V line with an impact driver that should suit your needs. Is there any particular reason you're pursuing lightness over other factors?

An impact "wrench" is a larger tool with a square driver that goes into sockets. 3/8" typically have the torque for lag screws and such, while 1/2" are typically for automotive use.
>>
>>1240749
I never realized I even needed one before I got my Makita 18V impact driver.

I believe it is my favourite powertool now. Just so goddamn fun to use.
>>
File: pepe deformed.png (7KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
pepe deformed.png
7KB, 251x201px
>>1240749

the sears near me only has impact wrenches though, no drivers
>>
>>1240758
As luck would have it, there's an exciting new invention called "the Internet". Computers around the world can talk to each other using a standard protocol. One of the practical upshots of this is that companies can make their products and/or services available to anyone with an Internet connection.
>>
>>1240775
Bah, humbug!
>>
>>1240752
This.

I bought it on a whim, and now it is the most used tool for me. (Also I got the urge to create anything out of wood now)
>>
>>1240799
Oh god yes. I find myself looking for excuses to break it out.
>>
>>1240758
There's a place that starts with H and ends with T that has one better than the Craftsman®™© can offer.
>>
>>1240827
>starts with H and ends with T

cute. harbor freight or home depot?
>>
>>1240805
We got woodboners after buying that shit. Fuck.. don't tell me this is what the logging industry is planning all along.
>>
>>1240677
I would bet 5 imaginary internet dollars that a cordless electric impact with a small, say 1Ah pack would weigh less than a corded electric of the same model line including the weight of the cord. Especially in a low voltage country e.g. USA. I'm not going to look into it because I doubt I could be bothered to even find a corded electric impact.

But the point is op do you need a light gun because e.g. You are disabled or do you need a light overall setup because e.g. You take it to the job on a Cessna and Jet1A is expensive?

Consider the point of an impact driver is that it has weighted hammers inside, that's how it works, so like a washing machine, the lighter it is the less you will get out of it.
>>
>>1240738
>just as clueless with their 'dont use corded' bullshit rhetoric

Blow it out your ass.
>>
>>1240738
>Steel erectors use corded and cordless because they're ideal
No, they use them so that they don't have to cart an air compressor all over a job site or to multiple job sites.

If he's looking for something lightweight, air is better. The only thing an electric impact has as a benefit over air is portability. If it's only going to be used in one place, like a shop, electric has no added benefit.
>>
>>1240923
>tripfag spouting shite
No surprise
>>1240949
No benefits other than maintenance? Noise? (of a small compressor lol!) risk of explosion? Giving yourself an embolism? Yeah size is absolutely the only difference....
>>
File: brushless_impact_drivers.jpg (44KB, 625x407px) Image search: [Google]
brushless_impact_drivers.jpg
44KB, 625x407px
>>1240949
And then I see he's using it for wood screws. An impact wrench is not a good idea. You want something that incorporates a clutch mechanism so you don't snap the heads off the screws.

I'd recommend picking up a cordless impact driver. Any major brand (Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Rigid, etc.) should probably last you at least 5 years. If it's something that's going to see a lot of use, I'd recommend a Hilti. They cost quite a bit more, but the quality is pretty much unmatched.
>>
>>1240951
>maintenance
What maintenance? A few times a year you squirt some oil into the tool and clean the filter on your compressor.

>noise
It only makes noise when you're using it.

>risk of explosion
Are you retarded?

>Giving yourself an embolism
Seriously though, you may be retarded
>>
>>1240951
>No surprise

It's not "shite", though, it's true. Air guns have got it where it counts.

Corded aren't terrible, but as I said, only good for places where you can't get your air hose.
>>
This thread has taught me that this board doesn't have a fucking clue what the difference between an impact wrench and impact driver is. Bunch of fucking morons
>>
>>1240949
>No, they use them so that they don't have to cart an air compressor all over a job site or to multiple job sites.

Yet many other trades do, most commonly, carpenters and framers. The same steel erectors will cart around oxygen acetylene bottles to cut steel over say a 9" angle grinder.

You're talking about steel erectors who literally lift and shift tonnes of steel for a living and your argument is a compressor is too cumbersome? You're clueless mate.

Risks with air tools are far greater than cordless or electric.

OP, the difference in weight between an 18v cordless (my small Makitas on paper fasten 280nM and break 400nM) is minimal, you don't have to bother with the compress, or oiling, or water traps or air filters either. Not to mention hose length restrictions or the fact it's even there.

If you need anything beyond the 300nM range (doubtful at home) you'll have no choice but to carry weight and spend a lot of cash.
>>
>>1240956
You're the retarded one and you really shouldn't be giving advice about compressed air to anyone, your ignorance and stupidity make it plainly clear.
>>
>>1240985
>Yet many other trades do, most commonly, carpenters and framers.

Probably because it's stupid to run an air gun on a portable compressor, but it'll run an air nailer just fine.
>>
>>1240984

OP here, I know the difference but my local Sears sells driver chucks alongside their impact wrenches. I was just asking if a pneumatic one would be lighter weight than a corded one.
>>
>>1241024
For what you want to do an impact wrench is completely pointless and will snap screws like a toothpick. Just get a cordless impact driver, they are perfectly light and with 2 batteries to swap between you can run a long time. I don't think anyone even makes an air powered impact driver, he'll im not sure you could even get corded anymore as cordless has caught up enough to make them pointless
>>
>>1241028
>I don't think anyone even makes an air powered impact driver

They do. I mean, I agree they've kind of been made obsolete by cordless drivers, but they exist.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0207593

Seen similar at Home Derpo and Harbor Freight, too. I have no idea why the fuck you'd want 75ft-lb on an impact driver, but there you have it.
>>
>>1240956
Uh yeah drain the water out so it doesn't rust from the inside out? Quite surprised you haven't experienced a tank rupturing if you don't think you have to look after it.
Op has room for a small compressor, anything that isn't expensive will be noisy as fuck. Air compressors are one of the number one neighbour complaints because of the noise.

The embolism thing I have never experienced even second hand but I have had to sit through several H/S briefings, some of which the job had absolutely nothing to do with anything air related, where a whole acitate was dedicated to why blowing air at someone as a joke would kill them if they had so much as an ingrown hair. Like I said, not a doctor, never seen it happen. Happy to be corrected as long as its by someone who actually knows, not a retard.
>>
>>1241032
really only useful in a shop setting where you don't need anything portable but even then both the tool and air compressors are going to be making far more noise. cordless have a damn good run time these days and you can charge a battery in 30-60 min so you can easily just keep swapping them if you're really using it that much

yeah you don't really need torque like that. i believe the Dewalt 20v drivers can hit somewhere near 150ft-lbs. i know mine can snap heads off pretty easily, especially old screws. with that torque you can get an adapter and use it as an impact wrench if you need to tighten or remove a bunch of smaller bolts and want to do it quickly. not as good as an actual impact wrench but still pretty useful from time to time
>>
>>1241061
yep tanks generally rust from the inside and you don't even know it. usually they will just split open eventually but they can also explode and if you're near it you're pretty much fucked
>>
>>1241061
wife did the embolism thing back in nursing school a long time ago - they injected air into rabbits to show how easily an air bubble stops the heart

teacher then had rabbit for dinner for a couple weeks, kek
>>
>>1241032
>I have no idea why the fuck you'd want 75ft-lb on an impact driver
Yeah, seems kinda useless. 18v Milwaukee has 125ft-lb and my Ryobi has 133ft-lb.
>75ft-lb? pfffttttt...
>>
>>1241246

what country? When I went to nursing school we never touched animals - that's a separate discipline (veterinarian)
>>
>>1241282
china, a long time ago

they weren't caring for the rabbits, just lab animals used to demonstrate something important
>>
File: gook patrol.png (39KB, 541x562px) Image search: [Google]
gook patrol.png
39KB, 541x562px
>>1241293

>>
desu
>>
>>1241261

For some reason, I was thinking my Ryobi impact had a lot less than 75ft-lb.

I mean, knowing big-box tool ratings, I have to doubt the 1600in-lb/130ft-lb rating, but still...
>>
>>1240988
Framing nailers generally speaking need just as much if not more air supply than impact wrenches.
>>
>>1240949

I see one more benefit of electric is that you don't need to also buy a compressor if you don't have one.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.