[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cnc rails?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I'm in the process of building out a CNC router for my home shop and I had a question for the experts here about rail materials.

I'm thinking of having my machine with a cutting area of about 54" x 42" in order to accommodate larger pieces. That being said, I want to ensure that my rails don't deflect as the gantry moves alongside the sled, especially in the center. Would stainless steel rails be more resistant to deflection than something along the lines of titanium? Would aluminum be fine?

Any advice would be great appreciated!

Pic is intended outcome.
>>
>>1240632
Linear guide rails are usually made of steel, so there you go
>>
>>1240632
>Would stainless steel rails be more resistant to deflection than something along the lines of titanium?

I don't even think you can _get_ rails that are made of anything but some variant of chromium steel (effectively a type of stainless) without special ordering and paying out the ass. I've seen a few 3D printers that have carbon fiber tubes, but I can't imagine those are cheap, and they're not much more than a foot long, anyway.

There's no reason to use anything other than steel. You need them hardened to resist wear, and the stiffness of the rails themselves is almost irrelevant; they should be fully supported, and affixed to the structure of the machine itself every few inches.

Unless, of course, you're thinking of using unsupported rails. That, however, is flat-out not going to work for the kind of work volume you're looking at. You HAVE to use fully-supported rails for axes that long. The weight of the bearings themselves will throw them out a few thou without any load on them at all.
>>
>>1240632
>CNC router

what are you routing that is that large, cabinet doors?

Like the other guy said, you need to support the rail the entire distance, which you could do with wood if your work does not require great precision.
>>
>>1240789
That's actually one of the potential uses for this monstrosity lol.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.