[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making Air Conditioners Fit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

File: 20160614_182801fx2160.jpg (1MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
20160614_182801fx2160.jpg
1MB, 2160x3840px
So I have a window A/C unit, but my windows open side-to-side, not top-down. For the last few Summers I've just had a piece of plywood cut to cover the hole, but next Summer I'm planning to get a new A/C (which is actually in the mail, on it's way here), and want a more permanent solution for the gap.

I'm thinking of making something with a thin strip of insulation in the middle, two pieces of plywood on either side, and then a nice wood trim along the edges. The inside "wall" would be painted to match the walls and trim, respectively. I'm also thinking of putting a handle on the inside (to make inserting and removing it each season easier), and screwing it into the window.

Has anybody come across a similar situation, where an A/C doesn't fit the orientation of the window? What was your solution?
>>
Have a similar problem, but I've just got a 'portable' AC unit.
The hose thing does not fucking fit or stay in the window what so ever.

Really the solution is always the same:
Build a bracket that fits in the window, and holds the thing in there.
Insulate well around edges with foam tape or such.
Use foam board sandwiched between plywood (with something weather resistant on the outside) to fill large gaps as in OP's pic.
>>
you could buy a small split system. my cuckshed has a Daiken.
>>
>>1240193
>where an A/C doesn't fit the orientation of the window? What was your solution?
literally what you see in your op image except my family used a pane of plexiglass
>>
That looks like absolute ghetto nigger tier shit... Install a window above it you pleb.
>>
>>1240215
Install a window...inside of the window.
And then you can put another window unit inside of that window.
>>
do you live in barracks?
>>
File: yo dawg.jpg (44KB, 270x322px) Image search: [Google]
yo dawg.jpg
44KB, 270x322px
>>1240656
>>
>>1240656
actually, I'd consider fitting a panel for the open window, all the way from top to bottom. then cut a hole in the panel to fit the A/C unit.
>>
>>1240215
Unironically not a bad idea. How would one go about getting a custom window pane?
>>
wood, even if painted, is awful. you want acrylic to let the light in, and to see outside, especially when a cool heavy summer rainfall hits.

of course, it's expensive, about $5 a square foot, but, about this time of year, you can pick up discarded acrylic as others take down their AC. even if you have to use 2 pieces screwed together, its gonna look better than wood.
>>
File: spin_prod_905080412.jpg (13KB, 333x333px) Image search: [Google]
spin_prod_905080412.jpg
13KB, 333x333px
>>1240193
You know vertical windows AC's are quite common, right? Every home deport carries them.
>>
File: IMG_20170707_120559.jpg (3MB, 2400x3200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170707_120559.jpg
3MB, 2400x3200px
I got a piece of MDF board then plastic cardboard from Home Depot. No more than $20
>>
File: 518425.jpg (169KB, 775x663px) Image search: [Google]
518425.jpg
169KB, 775x663px
>>1240193
Plexiglas and pic related insulation.
>>
>>1240193
I have been using clear plastic ~5mm thick (can't remember name) and silicone for 7 years without any issues.
>>
>>1241357
I hope you're in the desert and not somewhere like FL where it's wet, or you're going to find out why mdf isn't used outside.

Either way you should paint it.
>>
>>1241534
Haha yeah I put plastic weatherproof cardboard over it and it's been good for a year. I live in SoCal.
>>
Build sturdy frame around AC to act like giant mounting bracket, acting in place of usual window.
You can use either just actual construction grade screws or add brackets that you then attach the assembly to.
Have exposed flat wood surface towards inside of hole above AC (like how a wall with a window is framed in before any window stuff, so that there's something like a frame of exposed 2x4.).
Measure, go to home depot etc, get a piece of glass or plexiglass that fits. Plexi they might cut for you, or you can use circular saw, jigsaw,etc if you aren't good with snapping it.

Place Plexi in hole to act like window pane, use cheap trim that you painted ahead of time, inside and outside, around the perimeter of plexi. You have then basically made a shitty framed single pane window. With a little sense and patience, you can make it look really nice.

PROTIP: Remove the sliding pane of window so you have better clean edge to work and seal against.
>>
File: IMG_20170909_175248-01.jpg (2MB, 2261x2261px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170909_175248-01.jpg
2MB, 2261x2261px
The finished product at my apartment.
>>
File: beautiful_child.jpg (36KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
beautiful_child.jpg
36KB, 600x600px
>>1242156

jesus fucking christ I don't have time to read the thread so I'm sorry if you already esplained but what the ever loving fuck do those wires do?
>>
>>1242243
support
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.