[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Poured concrete into an atlas stone mold and it came out terribly.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: Screenshot_20170906-184458.png (3MB, 1080x1441px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170906-184458.png
3MB, 1080x1441px
Poured concrete into an atlas stone mold and it came out terribly. I had a hard time with the top half of the pour because the mold has a small opening that I underestimated.

>Can I use anything to fill the pits and valleys while keeping the stones strength?

>What can I do to improve future casts?

>Any other tips on improving the overall strength of the concrete
>>
Concrete is full of rocks and therefore will not yield a perfectly spherically smooth shape. You can try adding self leveling compound or filter the rocks out and just use the powder
>>
>>1239996
Tap the mold for awhile aft you pour it, this should work out any air pockets near the surface which is what caused the voids
>>
>>1239996
Next time try mortar mix. It's just sand and cement minus the large stone aggrigate. Will settle better.
Also as >>1240013 says, you have to vibrate or tap the mold to get air bubbles out.
>>
>>1239996
Get an electric palm sander and run it without paper all over the outside of the mold. The vibration will pull the cream to the outside. Mix your concrete fairly stiff too.
>>
>>1239996
>Every reply is viable information.
Screw this, I'm going back to /b/
>>
Look for a commercial contractor build supply. They'll have access to bonding agents, admixtures, and patching compounds that Home Depot won't have. They'll also have salesmen who's job is to know how these products are applied.
>>
Use this
>>
>>1239996
No idea how to fix that but for future casts vibrate the mold so air pockets can rise to the top.
Your mums vibe won't cut it, we use 1/2 hp vibrators at work.
>>
>>1239996
>to fix...
>sand off all that white shit
>fill in any big voids with mortar
>let dry
>sand down mortar/concrete to your final ball shape

>to prevent...
>vibrate or bump the mould until air bubbles stop coming to the surface
>>
>>1240066

But aggregate will let him have a more liquid mix without loosing strength, liquid mortar mix will not be that strong.

As others said op you gotta vibrate it, also look up concrete countertop mixes, superplastercisers in particular will allow it to pour better.
>>
Skim coat it with stucco.
>>
>>1240149
>salesmen who's job it is to know how to sell you expensive and irrelevant crap whichever gives them the biggest commission?
>>
>>1240229
Any aggregate will sink, dont put in any.

Vibration to get the air out, also, line the mold with cheese first, you can use single cream and flour but mix it until its thick enough to stay put when the concrete is poured in, it removes air bubbles.
>>
>>1240274
You have never seen exposed agrigate have you?
>>
>>1239996
Thrall pls go
>>
File: 540.jpg (10KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
540.jpg
10KB, 300x250px
>>1240182
anon's mom vibrator

she's a big girl (for you)
>>
File: 1500174085496.png (224KB, 447x489px) Image search: [Google]
1500174085496.png
224KB, 447x489px
>>1240274
>line the mold with cheese first

i've been doing it wrong for so many years
>>
>>1240182
This ,it removes all the air bubbles
>>
>>1240345
Perhaps you are wondering why a mod would ban you before being reported.
>>
Is it even a problem for it to not be smooth?

You can still train just fine with it as long as it doesn't have any really bad spots that can cut you.

I would just sand that one down and run it
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.