[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright so /sci/ still hasn't answered my question, so I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

File: speaker.png (1020KB, 800x797px) Image search: [Google]
speaker.png
1020KB, 800x797px
Alright so /sci/ still hasn't answered my question, so I guess I'll ask you guys instead. Are there any electric speakers that produce enough force to lift their own weight off the ground using sound?
>>
File: taylor_good_god.gif (2MB, 340x420px) Image search: [Google]
taylor_good_god.gif
2MB, 340x420px
>>1239920
>Are there any electric speakers that produce enough force to lift their own weight off the ground using sound?

this is not a question for /sci/. they are busy estimating their earning potential, while you are doing applied research.

if you succeed taylor swift will pay you millions.
>>
File: wtf.jpg (30KB, 550x446px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
30KB, 550x446px
>>1239920
Yes, but only for a short time, and only once.
Just hook them up to 10,000 volts DC.
>>
that doesn't make any sense
>>
>>1239920
Car audio fag here. Short answer no, long answer with today's lightweight neo motored subs and insanely large monoblocks..... Maybe. Theoretically if you push enough power you could achieve lift off but you would have to push probably 10s of thousands of watts at a super high frequency (which the subs could not replicate) or like>>1239953
Said and use something smaller with the same power for about a fraction of a second. Would be a fun experimenting tho since you can get cheap mids for under 10 bucks
>>
>>1239963
Car audiofag also.
Gave up on IASCA after they changed the test disc and power ranges.
PPI Art series 204 and 404 still running strong.
>>
>>1239965
I love the old art series, picked up two of the am2025s in mint shape for 80 bucks a while back, gonna hang them on my wall someday
>>
>>1239920
If the speaker moves one way, and let's even say yes, it has enough force to lift off.

The cone can't move anymore, now it needs to go back to a neutral position. Now it fell back down. Now you can lift off again, but you need to fall again right away...

So its not really 'lifting off' so much as its rattling.
>>
>>1239963
>Would be a fun experimenting tho since you can get cheap mids for under 10 bucks
OP here, I don't have the time to experiment with this myself because I'm away at uni, so could you try it for me?
>>
File: sonic levitation .jpg (21KB, 447x500px) Image search: [Google]
sonic levitation .jpg
21KB, 447x500px
>>1239920
/sci/ should have told you that your question is 'not even wrong' because sound pressure is not a static pressure and a loudspeaker is not a helicopter. Sonic levitation is something else.
>>
>>1239953
reminds me of back in the day when someones amp or caps took a crap and launched the cone and coil through their windshield.
>>
File: speaker power.png (3KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
speaker power.png
3KB, 300x300px
>>1239920
I think >>1239953 is the only correct answer, speakers make vibrations in two directions so the speaker would have an average force being equal to 0 + gravity. Unless you made air valves to rectify the air current on both sides of the speaker in some sort of full bridge, in which case maybe but all those valves would really weigh the thing down. In the end, almost certainly not possible including the speaker's own power supply, but you're really just levitating something by blowing air at this point anyways.
>>
I dunno about lift, but if you managed to build a lightweight rotary subwoofer it might scoot around under its own power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poo6zCFXtKM
>>
>>1239920
i don't know the answer and i don't know any scientific facts. but from personal experience i can tell you that speakers can move weight. i have moved objects using speakers alone. so i believe that with the right sounds at the right decibels, yes, speakers can levitate.
>>
>>1239920
Short answer, no.

Long answer can be explained by this video :
https://youtu.be/odJxJRAxdFU

Note that for this field, they used 4 drivers to achieve positioning. Also, they cannot levitate large objects due to the lower frequencies required. It's quite an inefficient system.

We also have the problem of the driver in your question not being in a fixed location. The driver pushes on the cabinet with the same force as the driver pushing the air. This like like a bird keeping its wings flat on the up and down stroke of every flap. It won't generate lift because it's pushing on the air with the same force up and down. In reality birds tilt their wings on the upstroke to minimize the resistance and generate lift. Then they flatten out and push down.

If you can put the driver in a cabinet and give it a signal that would resonate the entire cabinet I see no reason to say that the weight would be "reduced" and the cabinet could "walk" across the floor. But your not significantly off the ground nor are you generating lift, you're just vibrating it and reducing the friction between it and the floor.

What would be cool is if you could vibrate a sleigh of some kind in this way. If you could drive at the right frequency, in theory, you could drag heavy objects easily, if you could ensure not destroying the objects and sleigh by hitting its natural frequency.
>>
>>1240641
A sawtooth wave might show some degree of effectiveness, but I don't think you'd get a thrust:weight greater than 1 for the speaker itself.
>>
>>1240641
>>1240645
bullshit. this is a different type of experiment. a small speaker can levitate with the right sound. call me a heretic, call me tesla, but this can be done.
>>
>>1240109
I'll try this weekend with a .25 cent tweeter at 250 watts, since that's my largest midrange amp (arc audio se4100) and it the doesn't work I'll fire up my 4.5k and set the high pass to 160 and see if we can do a challenger
>>
>>1240685
Provide a reliable link then. Like a YouTube video or something. I'm not calling you a liar, just asking that you back up your statement with proof.
>>
File: IMG_2647.jpg (82KB, 960x495px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2647.jpg
82KB, 960x495px
>>
File: kajarivenavittuilusäätö.png (46KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
kajarivenavittuilusäätö.png
46KB, 720x1280px
>>1240233
I was thinking g about just one valve. When the membrane creates a underpressure it sucks air through the valve. When it creates overpressure the valve shuts itself. No need for additional valves.
>>
>>1240714
This is 4zimps. Proof is seldom presented.
>>
File: IMG_2648.jpg (132KB, 907x1534px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2648.jpg
132KB, 907x1534px
SpaceX rocking AC/DC to Mars
>>
>>1240700
Good luck!
But overpressure will build up, it's not like the speaker membrane isn't going to be moving. If the speaker pushes air as thrust on the down stroke, it needs to refill its reservoir on the up stroke, meaning it needs another valve to pull air from above. You can't use a half bridge rectifier on an alternating current/power source.

>>1240779
Make that Shadilay and we've got ourselves a deal.
>>
>>1240800
meant to reply to >>1240776
>>
>>1239953
BOOF!
>>
>>1239963
This op.
>>
File: 15050246922541616904496.jpg (3MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
15050246922541616904496.jpg
3MB, 3456x4608px
This little guy will meet his death tommorow. I'm leaning towards not levitating because my amps are either mid-range power wise high and mid amps or large low pass amps that will pop this little speaker.
>>
>>1241943
Why use an amp, just plug it into (rectified) mains.
>>
>>1239920
Maybe to hop around a little, but I've never seen one that could like hover. A loudspeaker is push pull in nature so hard to get unidirectional thrust from it.
>>
>>1241951
Don't have a rectifier that's big enough.>>1241958
That's what I'm thinking it will do, but enough sound pressure against the ground should be enough to lift it a little bit, results to come
>>
>>1241958
Changed speaker to kicker 6.5 tested at 1k, gonna go bigger anyone know a good video hosting site?
>>
>>1242259
Just put a bunch in parallel to get the current rating, or a bunch in series to get the voltage rating, you'll be fine.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.