[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rocket Ovens (outdoor woodfired stoves)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 22

File: rocketovens.jpg (296KB, 1372x716px) Image search: [Google]
rocketovens.jpg
296KB, 1372x716px
Has any body made a rocket oven/rocket cob oven (not sure if they are exactly the same or if the cob denotes something particular) ?

Would be interested to know what plans/materials etc were used and how it works - pictures would also be nice.

Pic related - a few examples I have found. The one on the left seems pretty simple and cheap to make. Apparently they are very fuel efficient.
>>
>>1239834
Cob refers to the material. Cob is a mixture of mud and grass or straw, basically.

>Would be interested to know what plans/materials etc were used
lmgtfy.com
im not even gonna lmgtfy it for you, diy it yourself
>and how it works
theres a combustion chamber separated by some distance upwards from where you load the fuel. when things burn, they let off various vapors and gases and particulate matter that won't ignite at the material's normal ignition temperature, but because heat rises and can collect, you can create a layer of incredibly hot air where those vapors and gases and particles can be ignited. this results in a cleaner, hotter burn. that layer of hot air can also grow and push downward towards the fuel, keeping the fuel lit

the top part of it where the heat comes from can be made of whatever but it's typically tile or brick, but some nerds taper the top of the thing and leave it open effectively making a normal but particularly efficient stove (the bottlenecking of the hot air still allows that hotter layer to form, albeit slower and a lot of it escapes upward, but you can still use it to cook or whatever just fine)
>>
>>1239834
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7agq_KnE75w
>>
Metal bucket, vermiculite, tinsnips, and some 4" warm air pipe my good dude
Two handfuls of sticks and you've got a perked pot of coffee
>>
File: DSCN3949b.jpg (2MB, 3072x4600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3949b.jpg
2MB, 3072x4600px
>>1239834
I just use a tincan rocket stove. If I make a masonry one, I'll use rockwool for insulation. Just remember a rocket stove needs 3 main things, an insulated flue, a flue tall enough so the flames don't touch the cooking vessel, and be feed fuel from the side via a tube. All those short ones you see online aren't properly made and more fuel inefficient. Only when they burn clean, unseen flue gases are they ate peak efficiency. White smoke means wet/damp fuel. Black smoke means the fire box is overloaded with fuel. Clear flue gas means everything is just right.
>>
File: DSC_0015a.jpg (1MB, 3068x1364px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0015a.jpg
1MB, 3068x1364px
>>1240082
Same stove over a year and 50 meals later. I collected a medium-sized tote of sticks last year and still have more than half of it left. It is amazing how little fuel it uses.
>>
File: DSC_0003a.jpg (643KB, 1024x2048px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0003a.jpg
643KB, 1024x2048px
>>1240092
>>1240082
Wind guard and changed the grill that flips up easily now.
>>
>>1240051
I don't need someone to google it for me, I have looked at a number of plans, I can make one.

I am looking for personal experience - that will help me choose which sort of designs to use/modify etc etc.
>>
>>1240082
>>1240092
>>1240095

Cheers, nice to also see one with a meal cooking on it. I have some cans I can use, I like the portable idea but I also want to build a more permanent brick fixture in the garden.

I think I will actually build two, one tin can portable one, and the fixed more elaborate brick one for the garden. I was indecisive but no problem to have two lol.
>>
>>1240082
>>1240092
>>1240095
>be me last year summer
>wrap my 2smoke mopeds' exhaust in basalt tape to insulate it so I get hotter exhaust and it burns out all the tar inside for more airflow
>actually works out, starts going faster
>during late winter actually gets a lot noisier, banging hard
>open up, unwrap exhaust
>rear half at the engine entirely rusted to pieces
How exactly do you prevent the high heat from totally destructing the metal? I have been thinking about making a rocket stove mass heater using an old gasoline or oil barrel and all I can think about is that the thing will obliterate itself just like the exhaust did.
>>
You can use the metal as a form for some concrete, put a smaller one inside a larger one, fill the void between the two with cement then remove the smaller one once set.

There might be a rocket stove in this link but I didnt see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lynzQ_MGho
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onMbSLuC7Oc
>>
>>1240228
You'll spend more time making/designing the tincan one than the brick and mortar one. Just make sure the flue and fire box of the brick and mortar one are insulated. That's the key to getting the flue gasses properly hot. Also remember that the thicker the inner wall is the more time it takes to heat up due to increased thermal mass.

I've stress tested mine quite a lot before I make the 3rd version. I'll probably buy rockwool for insulation instead of using scrap fiberglass like I did in this one. At least it is able to cook anything at all I would ever want to cook in it. Including an entire chicken, though that was before I started making wind guards for it, so that took forever.

>>1240262
I keep it out of the rain. Water and salty winter roads obliterate thin metals. The insulation you used would also have prevented moisture from evaporating while it is sitting around unused.

For mine, it will end up burning through eventually. The best you can do is to design your stove so that the inner flue and fire box are both interchangeable, or at least much thicker than normal. Inside mine, I have extra layers of the ends of the cans that were cut out. For a masonry one you can add a 1-2 inch layer of sand in the bottom where the coals will rest on.
>>
>>1240302
I'll dump set of these 2min vids of various things being cooked over the past year. The biggest gripe people online have with this other than "weight & bulky" is that it looks top heavy and ready to spill over. I've never once had a problem with it. I think the large coffee can base is why. Though, on version 3 I'll be installing a few eye bolts for using both cordage and tent pegs with it, if I choose. That way it can be either fixed directly to the ground at the base or lashed to a tree near it.

>1st meal cooked with it from >>1240082
>>
File: Eggs and Biscuits - 2min.webm (3MB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
Eggs and Biscuits - 2min.webm
3MB, 160x120px
>>1240303
>>
File: Grilled Chicken - 2min.webm (3MB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
Grilled Chicken - 2min.webm
3MB, 160x120px
>>1240305
>making wind guards for it, so that took forever.
>>
File: Grilled Burgers - 2min.webm (3MB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
Grilled Burgers - 2min.webm
3MB, 160x120px
>>1240306
didn't mean to autoquote
>>
>>1240307
>>
>>1240309
>>
File: Veggies and Ham - 2min.webm (3MB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
Veggies and Ham - 2min.webm
3MB, 160x120px
>>1240310
>>
File: Beef Egg Noodles - 2min.webm (3MB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
Beef Egg Noodles - 2min.webm
3MB, 160x120px
>>1240311
>>
File: Beef Stew - 2min.webm (3MB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
Beef Stew - 2min.webm
3MB, 160x120px
>>1240312
>>
File: Grilled Porkchop - 2min.webm (3MB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
Grilled Porkchop - 2min.webm
3MB, 160x120px
>>1240314
>>
File: Submarine Hamburger - 2 min.webm (3MB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
Submarine Hamburger - 2 min.webm
3MB, 160x120px
>>1240315
>>
File: Rice and Quinoa - 2min.webm (3MB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
Rice and Quinoa - 2min.webm
3MB, 160x120px
>>1240317
Last.

Here I'm bringing the food to a boil then putting it into an insulation cooker (thermal cooker/haybox cooker) for the rest of its cooking time.
>>
>>1240303
>lso remember that the thicker the inner wall is the more
>>1240305
>>1240306
>>1240307
>>1240309
>>1240310
>>1240311
>>1240312
>>1240314
>>1240315
>>1240317
>>1240318

This is awesome and one of the reason's I created the thread, inspiring to see how well these things can cook!
>>
File: DSCN1017a.jpg (1MB, 3072x1532px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1017a.jpg
1MB, 3072x1532px
>>1240319
Blame 4chan for limits of 2min, 3mb, and no VP9; when those were made. Otherwise, they'd be fullsize with sound, no frame restriction, and no speedup. Though, that older camera was a potato. My new one can do full 1920x1080p at 60fps.

>>1240320
Yeah, one of the main reasons I made so many vids and photos is specifically because finding vids and photos of people using these after their first meal is essentially non-existent online. Which was really frustrating a few years ago.
>>
File: DSC_0018a.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0018a.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>1240319
>>1240323
This is as good as it gets with VP8. Only 7 seconds of video. VP9 would make this clearer.
>>
>>1240327
nice build. I'm going to put together a wok stand today or in the next few days. propane jet burner and a prep table. I'll put up a build thread for it.
>>
>>1240302
>>1240327
You say you used fiberglas- what kind?
>tfw only fiberglass I ever worked with was for epoxy-ing
>>
File: DSCN4080a.jpg (4MB, 3004x3064px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN4080a.jpg
4MB, 3004x3064px
>>1240335
That sounds cool and is something I wanted to do with the makeshift table in >>1240323 Like cut a hole large enough for the top of the rocket stove so it can just poke up from under it and can have whatever I want on it including my woks. I think wok frying would be the true test for this thing since it requires constant high heat and lots of BTUs. It'd certainly need a special wind guard just for the wok.

>>1240339
Normal house insulation fiberglass. Nothing special at all. That stuff that looks like pink cotton candy that makes you all itchy. I chose it because I have a bunch I've ripped out of old stuff, because it is lightweight, because it holds up well to 1,000F or less, and because it is far cleaner than using vermiculite which has dust getting everywhere from time to time. Though, wood fires are like 1,100F. Which is why I want to use rockwool in the next one. The flue gasses won't be a problem to insulate with the fiberglass, but the firebox has most likely melted a portion of the fiberglass surrounding it.

When I make another one, I'll deconstruct the original and check how the fiberglass held up. That won't be for a few years most likely.
>>
would it be good to add a crank wood shredder ?
>>
>>1240788
It isn't needed. So long as the sticks will fit into the hole and reach the firebox where the fire is, there won't be any problems. Having the feeding tube angled helps auto-feed the sticks as they burn up. Adding a wood shredder to that would just make more work for you.

If you were making a wood gas stove, a shredder may be a good idea since those are better used with chips or pellets. Most don't autofeed, but I'm sure one could be designed to incorporate some sort of feeder.
>>
File: rocket-lived.jpg (727KB, 1000x698px) Image search: [Google]
rocket-lived.jpg
727KB, 1000x698px
Seems like rocket stoves in general are barely seen online and used. All the photos and stuff about them online are the same ones that's been around since forever. Those indoor ones with the cob couch as thermal mass look cozy as fuck.
>>
>>1240340
>Normal house insulation fiberglass. Nothing special at all. That stuff that looks like pink cotton candy that makes you all itchy.
And did you then cast it in some sort of cement? Because that stuff in there looks white and not pink.
>>
>>1241481
It is sunbleached. The pink color is a dye they add. Normally fiberglass is clear and looks white when bunched together.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.