[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Humidity problem in prefab apartment home

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (94KB, 578x428px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94KB, 578x428px
Hey diy so I am having a bit of a problem
I moved into a new apartment and they told me to leave my ac on or ceiling fan in my bedroom or else it would get humid.
Everyday I leave my ac on 70 and my ceiling fan and even have an additional fan in my living room and it is still usually around 70% humidity
They told me it was humid because the apartments are prefab on a crawl space and the crawl space makes it humid.

Do you all have any suggestions for controlling the humidity or things I could try?
Attached is a picture of the actual apartment it's a 1 br
>>
File: Tonzon.jpg (2MB, 4467x3306px) Image search: [Google]
Tonzon.jpg
2MB, 4467x3306px
>>1239819
Is the crawl space big enough to actually crawl in without being a contortionist?

My sister has got radiant barrier insulation under her house (this triggers /diy/) and the first thing they do is to put down a moisture blocking tarp on the soil.
>>
>>1239823
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1239823
Hi thanks so much for your response.

Unfourtnately I do not have access to the crawl space but I imagine it is big enough since it runs the span of the apartments and the access is on one end.

So the first thing I tried was the extra oscillating fan in my living room.
I guess I could try leaving my blinds open so the sunlight drys things out a bit?

Also I don't have a floor drain otherwise I would just set up a dehumidifier
>>
>>1239838
You need to talk the manager/owner into checking out that crawl space. It could be damp.It could even have puddles of water down there due to drainage problems.

Easy to fix now. Very expensive if mold starts to grow or the building rots.
>>
>>1239819
I couldn't imagine AC not being able to dehumidify an apartment so small. Are you sure your AC is functioning properly?
>>
>>1239819
>Everyday I leave my ac on 70 and my ceiling fan and even have an additional fan in my living room and it is still usually around 70% humidity
I'd say your AC has a blocked drain or is otherwise fucked. Unless your floor is completely swamped there is no way you have 70% humidity with proper AC on. Turn it off and see how it gets. Either way the crawlspace needs to be looked into too, cause this isn't normal.
>>
Buy a dehumidifier.
>>
>>1239966
>Buy a dehumidifier
A dehumidifier is an air conditioner without an external condensate drain an no exhaust for the heat gain.
He has an air conditioner.
>>
>>1239819
There's this thing called a "de" humidifier which "removes" the "humidity" from the air. Look into that.
>>
>>1239978
>>1239977
Currently using a dehumidifier but I don't have a floor drain and it fills up fast that's why I'm trying to fix the real problem

>>1239960
This is what I was thinking, although usually when the condisate drain is plugged it leaks water inside and I can't find any water. I'm going to google the ac unit and find out where the drain is and make sure it's draining properly because I think you're right, clearly the ac isn't removing the humidity.

I appreciate the responses I got some ideas and will delete the thread
>>
>>1240044
Sorry Op, I dont know if you will solve this here. Most browsers here dont own a home, which equates to not actually doing anything themselves. Essentially you've come to the wrong place to ask a question like this.

>>1239823
Has pics and information, which is more than most here can say. I'd go with this. I'd help you but I have a full basement, and do not have humidity problems, so my experiences wont help you. Good luck.
>>
>>1239966
This.
I tried fans and shit in my basement but ended up getting a dehumidifier.
Went from 85% humidity to 35% on continuious. About ~$100/mo for a 70 pint on all day and night though...
>>
>>1240044
Put it on the kitchen counter and drain into the sink. I know it sounds jankey, but it's an apartment and there is only so much you can do.
>>
Assuming outside humidity is low (I'm UK, so we have that) - then pretty much any damp problem inside a house will be solved by improving ventilation. I have a damp lifestyle (lots of big hairy dogs coming into my house several times a day in the winter leads to a lot of damp) so I installed a MVHR system - works brilliantly and costs almost nothing to run.

If outside is humid though, a dehumidifier and $$ is your only solution.
>>
hey there, I work in HVAC. Listen to the people telling you about the vapor barrier underneath the floor. If the house is well insulated for heat and moisture, then your normal A/C should be able to dehumidify the space.

if the A/C is oversized for the space it wont dehumidify very well. Is the A/C running for a decent amount of time? an oversized A/C will still cool the space, but it doesn't run long enough to dehumidify.

the only thing i can think of is to make sure the A/C is draining water correctly and making sure your return air ducts are connected.
>>
>>1242100
temp fix to help prevent mold, get dehumidifier(energy efficient one), get nice tube for bucket, have it under your sink up on a bucket or install a rack for it above the drain. Tap into the drain on the side and put hose in it, make sure to have one way high pressure valve for when you actually use the sink. No see the dehumidifier, drains into sink.

Get a stick and tape it to a phone/camera and take pictures of your basement AND attic OP.

Also of front/back of AC.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.