[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My grandad has given me this globe drinks cabinet he bought in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_0553.jpg (227KB, 1800x1800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0553.jpg
227KB, 1800x1800px
My grandad has given me this globe drinks cabinet he bought in the 50's. the paper imagery on the outside is peeling off and it has seen better days.

What should I do with it? Looking to restore, repurpose or upcycle it
>>
going to be real tough to restore the map. I'd suggest reglueing as much as possible them putting a thick layer of poly on top the prevent any further oxidation.
>>
>>1239757
Don't mind having to peel the map off completely, just looking for a good alternative to the map
>>
File: PokeBall.png (27KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
PokeBall.png
27KB, 256x256px
>>1239764
>looking for a good alternative to the map
>>
>>1239765
I suggested Deathstar and Pokeball to my fiancé but she didn't seem too pleased...
>>
>>1239768
Keep that fiancé to you, no matter what. She is not one of those bazinga girs that every esphere she sees, she wants to turn into a pokeball or a deathstar.
>>
If you're into sports you could make it a baseball, soccer ball, golf ball, etc.

Or maybe make a collage of labels from liquor bottles on it.

You could also just put a new globe on it
>>
plaster it with pictures of your grandfather's face to honor him
>>
>>1239741
paint cart with black/galaxy effect
paint globe like saturn
top of cart forms the rings
>>
>>1239783
real talk
do this
>>
>>1239757
I 2nd this idea. Maybe add some old looking travel stickers in places where the map is too damaged to repair.
>>
Restore it and when people come over do this

https://youtu.be/CqecdQyTFvM
>>
>>1239783
seconded
>>
>>1239741

Gold leaf see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YqH0f0KY6o
>>
>>1239768
>I suggested Deathstar
I saw that on imgur yesterday
>>
>>1239741
Leave it well alone and give it to someone who knows what they're doing before you ruin it with your 'up cycle' bullshit mentality.
>>
>>1239905
Seriously this. Why ruin a good peice of what is more or less history when you can just go make your shitty deathstar from scratch.

Don't be that guy op.
>>
>>1239908
I literally said I don't want to turn it into a deathstar. A lot of the outside is peeling off so I don't just want to leave it alone and I don't want to throw it away
>>
File: 1484749220545.gif (899KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1484749220545.gif
899KB, 600x600px
Pic related
>>
>>1239741
you lucky motherfucker restore that shit. spend money on it. god damn it don't ruin something that cool.
>>
>>1239765
>>1239768
That's something that a Redditor would think is cool.
>>
I have the exact one. It's not as well crafted as you would think. It looks nice but made of composite wood. Don't waste your money on an elaborate restoration. Maybe get away with glueing as much down as possible and then hit it up from a distance with a semigloss spray lacquer. One a few thin layers are on there then hit up a 1 ore 2 more times with a thicker coat. Other then that next time tell the old man to keep it and just give you the booze.
>>
Btw be careful of ppl slamming it shit. The bushings on the top an bottom WILL punch a whole through the globe. Reinforce it now and reinforce add a spring for resistance on that hinge.
>>
>>
>>1240766
It'd be better to add something to physically block the hinge just when it closes all the way. A spring just makes it slightly harder to break. Reinforcing the top would block out more of the graphic, assuming he's into that sort of thing
>>
File: palantir.jpg (37KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
palantir.jpg
37KB, 600x300px
>>1239741
>>1239765
Better alternative
>>
>>1239741
Just paint the fucker black.
>>
>>1241073
Okay Mick Jagger
>>
File: MapCarte251_lunar_large.png (2MB, 1024x1015px) Image search: [Google]
MapCarte251_lunar_large.png
2MB, 1024x1015px
>>1239741

if you don't want this then may as well kill yourself OP
>>
File: ALT-EMPIRE.png (356KB, 530x330px) Image search: [Google]
ALT-EMPIRE.png
356KB, 530x330px
I'll offer this.
just because I think it's fucking cool.
>>
>>1239741
Smithsonian Institute document on restoring and conservation of historic globes. Techy, but it may help

https://www.si.edu/mci/downloads/RELACT/globes.pdf
>>
>>1241128
this too

http://globemakers.com/globe_restoration.html
>>
>>1241089
Do this. I have a moon one and it's great
>>
>>1239797
>>1239858
What if his grandfather looks like the Deathstar or a Pokeball?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.