[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I found this nice wood bench being thrown out. It looks really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: 20170904_111525.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170904_111525.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
So I found this nice wood bench being thrown out. It looks really nice, it would be a waste to have left it. I wanted to know, how do I figure out if it is stained for outdoor use, or was it even made for the weather conditions? (Upstate New York)

And is this something worth staining and taking the time to care for?
>>
File: 20170904_111515.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170904_111515.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1239392
Other pics...has been out in rain for a week probably
>>
File: 20170904_111454.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170904_111454.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1239394
>>
File: 20170904_111519.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170904_111519.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1239396
>>
It's a ratty old futon.
>>
Stain is not for outdoor use. Also that plywood base is going to rot away.

If you want to keep the wood as is you could put a clear coat on it. Something like rustoleum crystal clear enamel. But that plywood base needs to be replaced, it will have sucked up lots of water by now.
>>
>>1239405
>>1239409

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. It was exactly what we were looking for regarding outdoor furniture. Will replace ply, put it in garage, and figure out sanding it. I like how sturdy it is. Seems like it could last a while if taken care of.

Will buy some cushions once it is done.
>>
Woodbutcher anon here, I'm going to come back to this and tell you the minimum effort maximum reward method for this situation. Right now I'm about to squirt concentrated caffeine liquid into my beer and finish mowing my yard before the city fines me.
>>
Aight. Okay. I don't know the name for this style of furniture, but I have a chair made exactly the same way. It's all real wood and not that MDF shit, so you can treat it accordingly to how cheap you got it and not really worry about it. I paid $15 at a goodwill for my chair so it's on my back porch and I don't give a shit how many raccoons piss on it, it's made out of wood all the way down to the core and I can sand it out. Cushions might be shot but fuck cushions.

So, what you acquired for free is the end result of this practice- something pissed all over their cushions and they threw them out instead of cleaning them and then Megan and Hunter told themselves they'd make new cushions because they're craftsy but Megan's etsy shop with owls made out of chinese jewelry pieces doesn't translate to being a seamstress, and they got tired of sitting on plywood, and now you have a free futon.

>>1239408

Ignore this retard. Ratty is a term for cloth. There's no cloth. You have something that is &100^% wood, and the correct term is 'Janky.'

The plywood is not original. I'm going to need you to pry it up and tell me what's underneath so we can see how we're going to replace it with something that isn't plywood.
>>
honestly op if it were me id just slather it in exterior paint and call it a day

that plywood is fucking uggo shit anyway

if you wanna get fancy maybe take it apart and paint the pieces individually so its got a qt livery but for the most part just put some deck paint on it
>>
>>1241913
>Hunter
i feel like this is a female name because the only "Hunter" ive ever met was some dumbass tryhard chick from ontario
>>
>>1241922
Remove plywood, looks like everything on that IS solid wood and used dowels for everything. Keep with the dowel theme for the base, Get some real wood (3"-5" thick) and stain/cut it to stand above that base. Dowel them into the frame on the front and back sides to prevent moisture seepage and wood movement. Use real wood dowels and not plastic/composite shit that gets sold sometimes. Should only take a hour all together to cut the wood, quick sand it with a cheap sander and place/clamp and drill new dowel holes. Stain it be fore doweling though as well as seal it.

Nice solid wood bench that will flake off water both naturally and easily. Solid and Nice looking.

Make sure the boards are a good 4"-5" thick from the base for proper arm posture on the side rails. Unless you are getting new pads.
>>
>>1242116

that's entirely too much effort and none of it means anything until we see what the plywood is covering
>>
File: köksoffa.jpg (56KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
köksoffa.jpg
56KB, 640x480px
>>1239392
Looks like an köksoffa (Kitchen sofa) in american bastardization design.

It should have an compartment below the seat. The plywood should be exchanged for massive oak or pine. Optional to put cushions on it.
>>
File: IMG_20170910_131829~01.jpg (2MB, 3073x2662px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170910_131829~01.jpg
2MB, 3073x2662px
Looks a lot like this rocking chair my grandparents had.
>>
>>1242143
It is just that. Most of those wooden plugs fall out of them.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.