[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hurricane Preparedness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: irma.jpg (74KB, 604x655px) Image search: [Google]
irma.jpg
74KB, 604x655px
I've made a thread on /out/ but I'm sure you guys are rather knowledgeable regarding this stuff too

hurricane irma will be bearing down on Florida within days, and I live right in the splash zone on both the Euro and US models.

so let's discuss hurricane preparedness for everyone's benefit here in the southeast

a few off the top of my head, I've heard of filling your bathtub with water. Of course you clean the tub first, but how long does the water keep?
What if your drain isn't 100% water-tight? How do I keep it from all draining out?

are the little propane stoves worth it?
>>
>>1238895
Wad a plastic shopping bag up and stick it in the drain. Water pressure will seal it against the pipe.
Water doesn't go bad unless you contaminate it.
Propane stoves will do everything you need, as long as you have enough fuel and use it sparingly.
>>
>>1238895
Do you have enough food? Water? Should you be helping your community sandbag something?

https://www.fema.gov/pdf/areyouready/areyouready_full.pdf
>>
I live in Orlando. Is there any way to get a decent generator or battery in time? I think all the stores are out and amazon won't make it in time

I need to run a few lights and stuff but for at least a few hours

Also should I board up my windows?
>>
>>1239393
You could look for places that rent out welders and use that as a generator
>>
>>1238895
If you have ice chests, fill those up with water too. Start buying non perishables and batteries asap. Now now now. Charge up everything you have, laptops etc and only use it to charge your phone. I lost power for 50+ hours but never dropped cell phone coverage during Harvey. AT&T even dropped overage charges. A portable gas burner will do you wonders. Just don't run it too long without airflow. Your windows will probably be covered and carbon monoxide can build up in a bubble if you are stuck sealed in for a few days, probably don't have to worry about that but it is something to be mindful of.

If you want to buy anything at all, go now. The longer you wait the sooner your luck will dry up.
>>
>>1238895
Please dont buy perishable food, if power goes out food goes bad. If you have a well and your power goes out, not only drinking water but toilet water is gone too. I had a well and power went out for days, luckily I had a pool and could fill the toilet tank that way with a bucket
>>
>>1238895
Get a gas grill with a side burner and a fresh tank of propane. That little side burner saved our asses during hurricane Charlie in '04. You can hear up a pot of water and send it through the top of your coffee maker for very little fuel.

Of course, I'm a homebrewer, so I've got enough carboys, pots, and other containers to easily hold 30+ gallons of water. The bath tub works too. I just use a little sanitizer for each container, then fill them all up the day before the storm.

>>1239393
Get some cheap led flashlights. They last a long time on relatively little power. Personally, I'm more concerned about fans than lights, as we have a giant bag of tea lights, but if the hurricane does come through, it's going to be muggy AF for a few days after. No need to board up your windows in Orlando. We'll probably just see a lot of rain and possible flooding. It is a good idea to look at the branches around your house though and trim any that need trimming now.

If you're worried about you phone, get one of those battery packs that can charge usb. If none are left, get yourself some D batteries and an LM7805, and make a charger yourself. Not many people use D batteries anymore, so there are probably plenty left in the store. As a last resort, you can always turn on your car and use gasoline to charge your phone. Kinda wasteful though.

>>1239469
Even if you run on city water, and your toilet does fill up, that's not to say it will flush. When the sewer gets backed up, nobody can flush anymore. Use your yard as a bathroom as much as you can, both so that your toilet doesn't back up, and your neighbors toilets don't back up as much.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.