[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /diy/, I started with a small project which turned into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170902_144124033-picsay.jpg (154KB, 944x685px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170902_144124033-picsay.jpg
154KB, 944x685px
Alright /diy/, I started with a small project which turned into a pain in the ass. Just bought a condo 3rd floor and the bathroom floor tiles were breathing. So I decided why not remove those few tiles and glue them back down. Start removing the tiles and pretty much all the tiles lift up. The grout was holding them together and the motar seemed to let go. Fine removed all the tiles and damaged hardi backer. Found my plywood underneath is uneven and made up of 6 pieces with mold on them. Fine, went on to remove that now I found my joist has been hacked at heavily and that it sags in that area. I don't want to remove the tub to sister properly unless I can sister from one side. Basically no idea how the fuck to approach this fully.
>>
>>1237784
Has 6 points of damage in 7ft, that's the main one 5" by 7" wide out of a 2x10. Dam thing runs the length of the condo. They left the old drum trap in it but d/ced. And the end of the joist going into the brick wall was cut by 2.5" inches from the top by 8 in length.
>>
File: IMG_20170902_144140452-picsay.jpg (186KB, 938x722px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170902_144140452-picsay.jpg
186KB, 938x722px
Forgot the pic
>>
From the floor below I would try a hydraulic jack and I-beam to straighten out that floor joist. Floor joist which can be "blocked" with reinforcing boards perpendicular and lengthwise to hold the correct geometry. So add a ceiling patch to your project.
>>
>>1237799
Whoops, Lengthwise reinforcement is "sistering"
Doubling up floor joists
>>
>>1237800
Can I get away with just one side? Because access to other side of the joist would require bath tub removal and do I need to bust into the brick wall to sit it, does it need to be complete as long since I want to do only one side? Can I reinforce it after adding a partial sistering by running pieces of 2x4 between the sistering and joist by it?
>>
>>1237821
Yeah, that is fine. As long as the sister is the same dimensions as the original beam.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.