[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is putting foil on a window to block all light a bad idea? Someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

Is putting foil on a window to block all light a bad idea?

Someone told me it would make my room even hotter in the summer.
But I can't find any good info on Google
>>
File: Guys im just like you.jpg (89KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
Guys im just like you.jpg
89KB, 960x960px
>>1236137
OP, are you ok? Whats going on little buddy? You are loved.
>>
You'd think it would make a great curtain due to its mirror like properties. The more light that is reflected away the better. Do it
>>
>>1236137
I use an emergency blanket. They act like a one-way mirror though. So, at night people can see in if you don't have blinds closed. It doesn't make the room hotter.
>>
>>1236137
People that cook meth put foil on their meth lab windows. You will likely be questioned by your local authorities.
>>
>>1236137
It might dark colored blankets or towels should work well
>>
>>1236158
That makes things worse.

>>1236151
Ok Jessie Pinkman.

Trick is not to leave an air gap between the glass and aluminum. It's gonna get hot anyways, especially if you have double pane but it'll help. It won't be much.

You probably notice the room is the hottest around sunset?
>>
>>1236137
It will reflect radiated heat. If it's hot outside this cools the house
>>
>>1236137
Some kind of cheap temporary awning might work better. A real awning would be optimal, but cost more and depending on your situation may be impossible.
>>
>>1236142
I'm not familiar with this meme.

>>1236151
The window is hidden, so it's no problem.
>>
>>1236137

Only do this if there's some practical reason that the room needs to have no light. Don't just do it because lmao wanna sleep till 2pm. Your body is a product of evolution that depends on the sun to regulate release of chemicals that make you wake up and those that make you sleep. Blocking the sun off can fuck you up, especially if you wake up in pitch darkness. Trust me.
>>
>>1236184
>Blocking the sun off can fuck you up, especially if you wake up in pitch darkness. Trust me.
Well I work the night shift so blocking out light is important.
Any light in my room, and I will not sleep.
>>
>>1236225
>>1236137
Use contractor grade garbage bags, will be cheaper and will work better.

>>1236184
NEET sleep schedule is so fucking hard to break
Seriously terrible, makes you feel like death on the off chance you actually want to do something normal like leave the house.
>>
Get some r15 foam insulation, cut it to the shape of your window. For bonus points, you can cut some fabric and cover it by attaching it with a hot glue gun. It'll block the light, and help keep your room temperature more consistent. As to whether it'll make your room hotter, that depends on if there is a source of heat in your room, like say a hot PC. It'll also block heat from outside however, so it'll actually help if you're using AC.

It's also great for basement windows, just sayin'.

It's a good thing.
>>
File: 20170802_000651-1.jpg (3MB, 2109x2370px) Image search: [Google]
20170802_000651-1.jpg
3MB, 2109x2370px
>>1236232
>a source of heat in your room, like say a hot PC.
Bad news.
This shit is hot
Warms up my room a good 20C if I let it.
>>
Why don't you just put a blackout curtain?
>>
>>1236243
>Warms up my room a good 20C if I let it.

Should have used blue LEDs.
>>
>>1236243

Shit. Well, I guess you could aways try poster board, cardboard or maybe foam core. That'd conduct less heat than foil, and you can get it in white which would reflect and look better from the outside of that's a concern.

Other than that though, I'd give the foil a shot if it's what you've got. You can always escalate if it sucks.
>>
>>1236250
Not op, but thats a ton of light still coming in
Trying to trick your circadian rhythm into sleeping during the day, cant have ANY light at all.
>>
It's a radiant barrier. It reflects heat back in. If you want to make the room cooler, it needs to be on the outside.

If you get a mylar sheet yoou can reuse it later.
>>
>>1236263
If you think it matters what side of the window pane the foil is on, you're probably not qualified to be giving advice about thermodynamics.
>>
If you want to block out heat, there's this ceramic tint on the market that claims to block out like 45% of the infrared light that causes heat or something like that.
>>
>>1236149
>They act like a one-way mirror though. So, at night people can see in if you don't have blinds closed.

Just turn the blanket around. Problem solved.
>>
>>1236232
Cut the piece 1/4 inch bigger than the window, that's how it stays in place, friction fit.
>>
>>1236162
The workaround is to place it outside, so any absorbed heat is outdoors and not raident inside the room.
>>
i live in an apartment and i did it for a year before the management noticed i had foil on my windows from the outside and told me to take it off. and yes i did it so the sun wouldnt wake me up in the morning
>>
>>1236498
Yes.

But I'm sure he notices a temp increase as the sun goes down. Bad insulation.

I dunno why people just don't buy a couple cheap acs. It's even better than having 1 big one (besides a central one)
>>
>>1236225

When I worked nights I used a dark colored fitted sheet, and attached it to the window frame. It worked very nicely.
>>
>>1236137
Tiny your window?
>>
Cut foil to shape of window pane (overlap top over bottom if necessary)
Use spit or diluted Elmer's glue to attach aluminum foil to window

I used spit when I was poor AF and it held up without maintenance for the four years I stayed there. If it's a window or door you plan to open/use regularly you're probably better off with the glue.

The damn place had huge divided double hung windows on every fucking external wall.
>>
File: external-blinds.jpg (147KB, 900x505px) Image search: [Google]
external-blinds.jpg
147KB, 900x505px
Get pic related, solve all ur problems, just get a good manufactures of external blinds and ur ready to enjoy restfull nights.
Also if ur going cheap, buy black out courtains.
And fix the light spots around them with a little bit of fitting and tucking removable squares of cloth.
>>
>>1236225
I work night and sleepy in a well lit room you pussy.
>>
>>1236137
But a 100$ ac unit from wall Mart nigga
>>
>>1236137
Use wet towels
Just keep hosein er down m8
>>
>>1236252
This!
>>
I use paper and tape to cover up my window it looks like cardboard but you can still open it slyeasily fif you do it right
>>
>>1236875
Arent you special, your body isnt supposed to function that way
>>
>>1236137
Depending on which region you live, it could be a fire hazard. I live in Arizona and we tried that to keep cool. It ended up melting our shades and even looked slightly charred. Later on I learned this is how solar ovens work. If you're going to do this, the reflective/blocking material must come first. As in, it must be the 1st thing the light touches, otherwise you're potentially making a solar oven. If it's placed on the inside, it's not doing much as far as keeping cool and will only make the room darker looking.

>>1236162
>Trick is not to leave an air gap between the glass and aluminum
This is probably your only chance at actually making it cooler in your room if you decide to use the material on the inside.
>>
Wife and I have it on the bedroom windows of the house. If you put it up well it looks okay from the outside. Curtains inside so you don't have to see it.
>>
Cont

As for the heating - options:

1) Do a very good job putting it up and don't worry about some extra sunlight reflected on your outer frame.

2) Crinkle the foil before you put it up - this is an old grower's trick to avoid burning plants. (grower since 2005 - all legal and boring now)

3) Put the foil on your storm windows.

I'd go with 2 or 3. If you don't have storm windows (one piece of glass between you and outside) you're fine.

In no configuration should any option make your room hotter, unless your home's primary heat exhaust leak is through your bedroom window cracks.

And if you never open your bedroom window (I don't), think about caulking it on the inside if there's any leakage.
>>
>>1236137
Aluminium is a very good heat CONDUCTOR, not and insulator. Yes it will work to make you room hotter in the summer, colder in the winter. Also means making an "air gap" is absolutely useless.
>>
>>1236142
Why does that look like Jontron?
>>
>>1237297
In order for it to conduct heat, it first has to absorb it.

As the foil will reflect >90% of it, it will cool the room.
>>
The heat that comes into your room is the photons interacting with the air particles.

The foil reflects those photons outward, away from the house.

The reason ``it gets hot'' is because there is a layer of air between the foil and the glass pane, and there is an air gap which allows heat to escape.

Supposing you had a solution which could glue the foil to the window, you wouldn't have any problems. Most people do this by creating a solution consisting of dishsoap and water. The dishsoap acts as an adhesive, and water is much easier to displace than air (read, bubble removal)

There are professional window films designed for this purpose, though they are intended to make your window look like a window and not a meth lab.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKM8EG/
>>
jesus christ you people are dumb. This is basic physics
>>
>>1237492
go on...
>>
>>1236295
They don't work that way. You can see through to which ever side has the brightest lighting. So, in the day time you can see out, but people can't see in. At night it reverses if you have a light on inside.
>>
>>1236255
When I get a chance I'll post mine. I have little magnetic pads and frilled edges that help it to catch as much light as it can. I got it from my wife when I was a cop.
>>
The amount of people who don't understand middle school level thermodynamics, ITT, is sickening.
>>
>>1236832
No, enormous your window.
>>
>>1236874
Those are legit, they also have a legit price tag.
>>
>>1236277
It does.

Source: hundreds of hours of CFD simulation and experimentation
>>
I used to be a night shift person in the army. I put aluminum foil, shiny side out, on a sheet of cardboard. Using a spray on contact cement. I put that in the window when ever I was sleeping during the day.
>>
just get a cheap blackout curtain. if you dont want someone looking in just order window tint sheets off ebay
>>
putting foil on the outside of the window solves the heat/air gap problem, or if you own the window you could go as far as silver spray paint but youll never get that off
>>
>>1236137
>blocking out the sun makes it hotter
wew lads

Ill give you a hint, leave the blinds there, leave the curtains there, and put the foil over the curtains so that your neighbors dont think youre a fucking freak childmolester junkie meth addict crack den drug lab
>>
>>1236162
>especially if you have double pane
do you even fucking know what double pane windows are for?
>>
>>1238666
Wow ur dumb.

U can have an r value of 1000 and it'll still heat up if you let it. And the double pane is a sort of mini greenhouse layer. And it wasn't meant to have a fucking reflective layer on the inside and even new they warm up/cool off, just slower.

Less of the house gets heated the better. Reflect from the outside and ull have a better chance.

Double pane is great but not impervious.
>>
File: grannyschair.jpg (115KB, 597x584px) Image search: [Google]
grannyschair.jpg
115KB, 597x584px
>>1237325

kek
>>
File: 1413418940383.jpg (55KB, 472x472px) Image search: [Google]
1413418940383.jpg
55KB, 472x472px
>>1236137
Meth head detected

it is a good idea for blocking out light
won't increase heat to home
not aesthetically pleasing unless installed in trailer home then its an improvement
>>
>>1239611
Lighting an uncontrolled fire in the center of a trailer home is a fucking improvement, so the bar isn't that high.
>>
>>1239372
Your post is somehow pretty confusing
>>
>>1240510
Don't use foil(unless you like baking things in your window well), go to walmart and/or buy WHITE/BLACK window blackout curtains. Get shower curtain rods and some tacks. Point white side out during the summer, black side out during the winter. Put them into the window well, draw them shutters all the way up and tac every opening of sunlight out of the way. If you have time/money, get some wood and cut/frame the curtains flush against the window
ie frame the curtains into the window frame.
>>
>>1236137
I've been on and off graveyard shifts for quite a while and aluminum foil is my go to. It's cheaper and far more effective than anything else I've tried, and you can usually still open the window to let in some fresh air. Put it up with painters tape and it's super easy to take down.

Doing it WILL make your house look like a trap house.
>>
>>1236184
This. Just get some blackout curtains and call it a day man.
>>
>>1236137
use garbage bags, its cheaper and easier than foil
>>
>>1243299
>>1243302
Why not just use news papers you find in the garbage and glue it to the windows with cum? It's cheaper
>>
>>1243308
Garbage bags block out the sun well, you can hang them like curtains, and everyone has a decent amount of them lying around.
You would actually have to mount the foil with something.

It was a serious suggestion
>>
>>1236137
spray paint them black...put on two coats...the thicker the paint the easier it will be to scrape off later
>>
>>1236137
South Carolina Gypsys...ahem...I mean Travelers, build new houses then foil the windows for long periods.......keeps out light and apparently demons too.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.