[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rate my work please /diy/. 4 months into a 4 year machinist apprenticeship

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_20170824_151344.jpg (3MB, 2366x4176px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170824_151344.jpg
3MB, 2366x4176px
Rate my work please /diy/. 4 months into a 4 year machinist apprenticeship & I am having fun every single day!
>>
File: cz64.jpg (78KB, 583x586px) Image search: [Google]
cz64.jpg
78KB, 583x586px
>>1235798

Good job, I like the knurling.
>>
>>1235798
Pretty good lathe work for four months in. For something like that you should have put more work into the milled parts, those gashes in the clamp aren't acceptable. All you needed to do was flycut like .002-.003" off each side.
>>
Did you thread the screws or use a die?
>>
>>1235840
He drilled and threaded the knurled cap, that's threaded rod screwed in.
>>
>>1235798
are there actual machining shops that don't use cnc?
>>
>>1235852
Check out abom79 on YouTube.
>>
>>1235798
I can't figure it out, don't know jack about proper machinist etc work, is this some random widget that is assigned as a project to test certain skills, or is this a device that I don't recognize?
>>
>>1235864
Indicator collar
>>
>>1235807
I plan on doing that next time I'm in the shop.
>>
>>1235852
Literally thousands. CNC isn't some magical be all end all process.
>>
>>1235860
>this
Also oxtoolco, both are great channels.
>>
File: 1503933985813.png (1MB, 673x801px) Image search: [Google]
1503933985813.png
1MB, 673x801px
>>1235852
Depends.

95% have CNC's/majority of production done on CNC. There a few 'old fashion' shops that run Conventional, but they're typically specialized and reputable.

Though most CNC shops will typically have a few old manual machines(esp lathes).

Conventional is thee way to learn though.

Too many shops are run by $/Managers now rather than Tradesmen like back in the day. They don't care about the Trade/Apprentices and just want more money. So they'll sign Apprentice(Gov't gives them money for having on apprentices btw) papers while kids just push 'Go' on a CNC machine for 4 years. Just putting parts on, taking them off and checking them. This isn't how you learn.

CNC makes more money when you've got good programmers.

>>1235975
>1 operator can run multiple machines
>much faster setup
>instant tool changes
>very few mistakes once you're setup/running
>more rigid and accurate

It's pretty magical in the eyes of Management.
>>
>>1236027
>>1 operator can run multiple machines

Unless you're in one of those shops like ours, that want everyone to hate unions because they have a rule that anytime a CNC machine is running, a union machinist has to be there sitting on his ass beside it, no matter how long it can run unattended.
>>
File: 1503960741592.gif (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1503960741592.gif
1MB, 640x360px
>>1236042
Really? Sounds awful. One of those shops with everyone on their phones.

Like even overnight? They can't have machines running?

Ridiculous work polices/managment/unions one of the reasons the trade took such a hit.
>>
>>1236049
>Like even overnight? They can't have machines running?

We only have a day shift. Our unions are pretty much the bottom of the barrel. Part of our business is specialty devices for aerospace, and occasionally a part has to move quickly. It will sit on one fucking table for an hour waiting for a clerk to wake up and come move it 10 feet to the next table. Anybody else moves it gets written up, whether you're a union worker or the poor sap engineer begging for them to hurry up.

I walked through the shop one day looking for the supervisor, and saw a a machinist sitting in a chair gazing off into space, so I asked if his boss was around, "I'm on break". And that was the end of the conversation.
>>
>>1236051
>I walked through the shop one day looking for the supervisor, and saw a a machinist sitting in a chair gazing off into space, so I asked if his boss was around, "I'm on break". And that was the end of the conversation.

My boss would be on my ass so fast if he saw my machine idle and me sitting there doing nothing. I can't believe there are places like that out there, but I hear about them all the time. Government work that every operation has to be inspected before you can continue. For example, spot drilling and waiting for QC to make sure your position is correct before you can continue drilling. It's insane
>>
>>1235852
Sure, lots of job shops still use manual. Even production shops will still have some manuals laying around. Often for just a small op that takes no time and is easy enough that manuals can be efficient. Or for making or modifying some tooling, etc. For repair work, manuals really shine for a lot of situations too.
>>
>>1236231
>>1236051
>>1236049

My experience is very different from yours. Apprentice machinist here with a government run utility and we are all union. There is no sitting around and waiting for things to be approved like your example. The only time there are delays are 1) if we need to get extra parts or materials, they have to be ordered and either delivered to us or we will send someone to pick them up if the job is urgent, and 2) if the job requires something from another department(welder, structural steel, or sheet metal shop etc). We need a work order for everything but that usually only takes an hour max to go thru. Meanwhile there are many more jobs to move on to while we wait for that.

Our union is one of the best in the country. Because of them I have 11 holidays off every year and great pay, benefits & retirement.
>>
>>1235852
I made tool, jig and die for the big company all the time and I use manual.
The only CNC I want is a wire EDM.
>>
>>1236260
That must be nice. I work in a small shop, the boss pays well but offers no benefits besides a free lunch every now and then.
>>
File: 0_4583e793.jpg (84KB, 450x500px) Image search: [Google]
0_4583e793.jpg
84KB, 450x500px
>>1236293
>The only CNC I want is a wire EDM.

I can appreciate the convenience of manual for very simple, quick operations, but let's be realistic here...if I asked you to make pic related, no sane person would pick a manual over CNC.
>>
File: IMG_20170830_091308.jpg (3MB, 2366x4176px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170830_091308.jpg
3MB, 2366x4176px
>>1235840
>>1235848
Single point threaded one and like that anon said I drilled and tapped and used a long set screw (loctited in).
>>
>>1236260
Yeah, I am an apprentice in a large aerospace company that is also all union. Pretty much the same experience. The only waiting is for bureaucracy (and there is a lot of bureaucracy in FAA regulated companies, and companies of a certain size, which this company is both). T's have to be crossed and i's dotted on shit or it doesn't fly (literally).
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.