[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a better gun bluing method than this? I want to blue

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Birchwood-PermaBlue-Kit_0360.jpg (38KB, 364x432px) Image search: [Google]
Birchwood-PermaBlue-Kit_0360.jpg
38KB, 364x432px
Is there a better gun bluing method than this? I want to blue mine but this stuff is expensive at $30 a set and there isn't a lot of the solution.
>>
>>1235455
don't you just need the middle bottle? it's like $9 on ebay.
i don't even own a gun and i picked up a bottle at a garage sale for $2. i'm gonna try it on some random steel machined stuff
>>
>>1235455
There's hot bluing, which involves bluing salts and tanks and a considerable investment: not for the normal non-gunsmith type. There's also charcoal bluing, much cheaper, but it still involves a lot of heat (500-700°F?), so it's not applicable to everything. If your part is soldered or heat treated it's a no go.
>>
>>1235455
Brownells bluing paste is better. Rubbing seems to work better than just letting it set, by the way. Just use mek or acetone to degrease with and your good.
>>
>>1235455
I use a lye and fertilizer mixture hot bath.
(but it's more 'blacking' than bluing - black oxide)
>>
There also is parkerizing.
>>
>>1235455
Go to Lowes, buy some of pic related. It's pure Potassium Nitrate.

Then, get a ferrous pot, something that can blue... Not stainless, not galvanized.

Put the Potassium Nitrate in the pot, put it on a burner and melt it. Did I mention you should do this outdoors? Because you should not do it indoors.

Plug your barrel, and dip. Watch it turn straw, gold, brown, purple, blue... Pull it out when you get where you want it!

This is called "nitre blueing", not to be confused with the commercial product of the same name
>>
Rust bluing is easiest to do at home and actually looks really nice.
>>
>>1235710
>fucking with the temper of the barrel with a process meant for small, non-pressure bearing parts
>>
>>1235744
>thinking that it would get hot enough to affect metal structure

You know gun barrels shoot bullets right? Shoot enough fast enough and they get to hot to hold. No effect on the barrel at all.
If you disagree you're a nogunz faggot who don't know shit.
>>
>>1235455
You really only need the perma blue out of that 3 pack. That is if you dont follow the other advice in this thread. Degreaser is easy, buy any good degreaser and some denatured alcohol to clean off any residue. Or just use the alcohol.
>>
>>1235756
>>thinking that it would get hot enough to affect metal structure
The melting point of potassium nitrate is well over 600F. That's more than enough to start messing with the crystal structure of the barrel.

>too hot to hold
That starts at like what, 120F? Those videos you see of barrels glowing red are absolutely terrible for them and they're no longer anywhere near the factory spec.

Learn some fucking metallurgy.
>>
>>1235455
Why not cerakote?
>>
>>1235756
>No effect on the barrel at all.
>quick change barrels
>water jackets
>heatsinks
If heat in a barrel wasn't an issue literally none of these things would ever have been put on a gun.
>>
>>1235784
>well over 600F
This is above the 'tempering' temperature of many steel alloys.
>>
>>1235794
That's my point. That method is meant for shit like screws that don't need special properties to be safe.
>>
>>1235739
Second this. Rust bluing is just as, or more effective than hot bluing, just a different color to it. It's cheap and pretty easy too. I've done a couple rifle barrels that turned out a plum brown color, but I read you can boil the blued parts to get a blacker color.
>>
>>1235814
How much does it generally cost?
>>
>>1235756
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnDsNTi4nmM

It only takes 30 rounds for the trendy lightweight barrels to lose their sub MOA

Watch any "meltdown" video, the barrels start to droop and sag after 2000 rounds
>>
>>1235455

If you're interested in gun bluing or other things like that you should might enjoy watching some of these videos from C&Rsenal's gunsmith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHyoUF50rF0
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.