[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cold Casting stress

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: cc.png (394KB, 673x642px) Image search: [Google]
cc.png
394KB, 673x642px
Saw a bunch of great vids on YouTube on turning your 3D printed models to cold cast models.
On the videos, they look and 'feel' great – they're magnetic and have that metal-ish feel to them, legit rust if you want them to, etc.
I just can't get a sense of their hardness/strength. If I were to hit the solid models in the vid with a hammer, would they immediately shatter to a billion pieces? Or get a dent? Can't find any stress tests. I want to cold cast a small-ish box from a metal powder and a binding agent, but I'm after maximum strength and durability. Wat do?

Related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBVU3FNt-s
>>
They will be marginally more fragile than the binder you use--say, epoxy resin. The tiny metal particles will likely act as weaknesses in the cast, but not by a particularly noticeable degree.

If you hit epoxy resin casts with a hammer they will likely crack into a few pieces. More or less depending what variety you are working with.

If you want maximum durability, cast your metals the traditional way; melting them down before the pour. Any binder you use to cold cast is going to be greatly weaker than a solid piece made from the same metals.
>>
>>1235381
Thanks for the info.
I'm just a poorfag who needs something small done so I can't justify buying all the bells and whistles needed for traditional casting.
>>
>>1235447
outsource it.

make your mould, cast in wax, send out to an investment casting foundry to cast in steel, brass, bronze, silver or the likes.

shouldnt cost too much even for a one-off.
>>
>>1235456
How much are we talking here? I've never had anything made before and I've always assumed that that shit costs a billion because minimum orders are like 90001 pieces
>>
>>1235879
what size?
what material?
what country?

in my work I've had one-off bronzecastings the size of your fingernail, for £2, I've had silver rings and objects the same size cast for £20, Sword pommels in bronze for about £40, and I've had high-grade medium carbon steel (0.6%) hilt components for HEMA martial arts cast by a company who also make Williams formula one suspension components, where it comes to £500 for a batch of 10 sets.

cost will entirely depend on scale and scope of what you're looking for, and what material.

basic casting 101:
make a master sculpt of your object. that can be wax, or it can be any other materials you work in. for wax, I'd reccommend "Ferris File-a-Wax" used by jewellers
if its not wax, use a RTV silicone urethane to make a mould. You can find many videos on youtube of how to make that.
from a mould, that's then filled with a hot wax. that can also be poured and the inner poured out, to form a hollow shell - a process often used for bronze sculpture.
open the mould once its cold, and you can clean up any mould lines, and little bubbles etc.
send it off, be it as one off, or one of 100 you're making, and it returns a week or so later in your material of choice. simple.
>>
>>1235971
Not him but how accurate are metal casts to the original?
>>
>>1236001

shrinkage happens, usually about 2-5%, depending on material. Consult your foundry for exact rates.
its perfectly possible to sculpt a master fractionally oversize to compensate
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.