[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /diy/, i'm trying to build a "custom" keyboard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: Organ pedal.png (8KB, 386x130px) Image search: [Google]
Organ pedal.png
8KB, 386x130px
Hi /diy/, i'm trying to build a "custom" keyboard like pic related, and i need help. I don't care if it looks ghetto as fuck as long as it works.
>>
I have to work with a cheap membrane keyboard and a soder
>>
This is in order to create a cheap practice midi pedal board
i dont care if its inputs are keys from the keyboard i just want at least 21 keys in that order
>>
and what help would you be needing then, squire?

have you bought the individual keys?
have you arranged to make or acquire a case?
do you have the skill to solder to the tiny traces that go into that black blob?
do you have a multimeter (or continuity tester) to figure out the current keyboard's array?
>>
>>1234310
ok
1) is it posible to separate keys form a keyboard and arrange it in that order?
2) I think i'll do that later if it works
3)Somewhat but i'm nowhere near adept
4) hmmm i don't think so
>>
>>1234300
> I don't care if it looks ghetto as fuck as long as it works.
Just take the keycaps you don't want off.
>>
>>1234324
yeah but a problem arises with that
its for my feet not my fingers
>>
>>1234310
mostly how to arrange any set of keys in that particular order
>>
1) is it posible to separate keys form a keyboard and arrange it in that order?

nope - it uses conductive paint on plastic surfaces. you cant solder or otherwise make a good connection to that. you need to buy mechanical keys.

3)Somewhat but i'm nowhere near adept

then, you need to get a much older keyboard that has copper pads instead of the carbon pads everyone use nowadays.

4) hmmm i don't think so

without one, you gotta do it by trial and error, where you short two contact points and see what key is displayed. then make a table to document all that info.
>>
>>1234329
Oh ok thanks
it's just frustating since any midi pedalboard can cost more than a thousand bucks
>>
>then, you need to get a much older keyboard that has copper pads instead of the carbon pads everyone use nowadays.

actually, thinking about this, i sorta realized that the carbon is probably deposited on a metal pad, and that maybe you could scrape the carbon off, and solder to the copper pad below it.
i'll have to try this sometime.
>>
>>1234300
So, you said it is for your feet. Does it have to be a keyboard? Can't you buy a bunch of arcade style buttons and wire them up? Even if you went out and bought the best components and controller on the market I don't think you'd spend more than $150 on this.

Hell, look around. There's probably even cheaper buttons out there than arcade buttons that will work for you.
>>
>>1234340
hmm interesting, any recomendations?
i live in Costa Rica so its dificult for me to get parts. But i can still buy things from amazon
>>
>>1234301
>soder

if you cant spell it properly then you dont deserve to work on electronics. KYS
>>
>>1234430
This isn't /b/
Maybe you should go back there though since you're an asshole .
>>
File: 1239291346519.jpg (80KB, 571x570px) Image search: [Google]
1239291346519.jpg
80KB, 571x570px
>>1234440
>>
>>1234430
ok
>>
>buy cheapest arcade switches possible on Amazon/aliexpress
>Wire them to arduino/pi/whatever cheap dev board you can find
>Pay somebody on fiverr to write the code for you (or look online for open source diy Arduino game pad code that will work in your application)
>Mount them in a cheap case (a plank of wood with holes cut and small blocks for feet would work)
>>
>>1234430
If you can't capitalise your sentences you don't deserve to post on /diy/. KYS
>>
>>1234783
This
Or if he wanted to stay with the keyboard theme, buy mechanical keyboard switches like the Cherry MX clones for cheap
Or any momentary switches for that matter

There are cheap dedicated keyboard controller boards too

Im more worried about the actual build design

How do you plan on controlling a bunch of close together keys with your feet.
Some big switches would be better
>>
>>1234797
He could make actual pedals if he had a drill and a handsaw and some wood, making pedals and putting an axle on one end and microswitch under the other end.
Would need more work but nothing impossible.
>>
Carling has some great metal push buttons that are stronk enough to use as footswitches, if you can afford $7 a piece and can wait a month for Mouser to stock back up. I used to put them in my pedal projects when I was smol.
There are Arduino libraries, usable with certain Arduino boards, that will send keypresses to a USB host. You'd have to write the sketch to scan the keyboard and send the key-downs and key-ups to the library.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.