[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone ever attempted a DIY home theatre? I've been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: YULMAN-02copy.jpg (219KB, 600x408px) Image search: [Google]
YULMAN-02copy.jpg
219KB, 600x408px
Has anyone ever attempted a DIY home theatre? I've been watching a ton of professional installation videos like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr8WAB5ihWQ
And none of it looks particularly difficult. I feel confident that a skilled DIYer could do it for a tenth of the price, depending on the equipment that they use. I'd quite like to try it since I have a storage loft that's basically empty right now that could probably fit a decent sized screen and a long throw projector. Is it as easy as it looks or am I just being rash?
>>
>>1234019
The work is straightforward but there's probably a little bit of expensive expertise that goes into designing the layout of the theater room and use of materials to dampen sound reverberation or reduce light reflection.
>>
>>1234020
Mass and Velvet.

Double thick cement board walls with sound-blocking insulation.

Covered with a nice dark velvet covering.
>>
>>1234023
I'd guess that the room size and speaker positions would contribute to acoustic performance, but I'm not sure if it would be a big difference unless you're an audiophile autist.
>>
You're just gonna watch like stupid talky bullshit flavor of the month shit anyway, though.
"Kino" my ass

For real tho
Hard mode: an additional room for an analog film projector
>>
>>1234049
That sounds fun, I bet there's gonna be a ton of film projectors for sale as all the cinemas go digital in the next few years. Maybe if you're lucky you can get your own 15/70 imax projector.
>>
>>1234053
IMAX itself recently started offering home cinema installations at million dollar prices. I just realized that this is probably why - they're going to repossess a ton of old equipment as they're switching everyone over to digital, so they're probably going to try to resell it to private individuals.
>>
>>1234053
I think most theaters are digital now unless they have a good collection of reels like a repertory theater or one attached to a school/university.

I think bigger projectors might need some sort of exhaust or something, but then again if you're diy you probably don't need one that can do like a 400+ person house.
>>
>>1234019
If you care about preserving money you shouldn't want a home theatre. Just put down some sofas, hook up a projector and a sound system and call it a day.

This idealized luxury isn't comfy.
>>
>>1234065
I think the important bit of a home theatre is the controlled environment, a living room projector is going to have a ton of light bleeding and poor acoustics.
>>
>>1234089
I have a friend with a projector and poor acoustics is a major factor in the room he keeps it in.

Also every time my eye moves, I can see the red/blue/green lights in my peripherals? is the light bouncing off my eyelashes?
>>
>>1234019
silver painted wall works good as screen
>>
File: rainbow.jpg (164KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
rainbow.jpg
164KB, 800x600px
>>1234187
Are you talking about the rainbow effect? It's an artifact of a bad projector and it happens because they simulate three colors by projecting white light through a rotating wheel of red, green and blue filters.
>>
>>1234218
No, its not on the projector, its like on my eyes or something. Whenever I sharply turn my head or eyes, theres this perception of r g b light. It would happen during screenings in film club too.
Like it feels like its bouncing from the light stream from the projector?
>>
>>1234019
>all that work
>total shit of a speaker setup, no Axiom
Holy fuck is the UK the biggest cuck country or what
>>
The electronic ends of it are pretty easy. Did it in my basement. Invest in a screen for sure, dont just whitewall it.

I would recommend to buy the projector last so as to wait for the price on 4k projectors drops.

I have a 120" screen in my basement. Im running 1080p but only at that size does 4k begin to look attractive.
>>
Can someone please explain to me the ponce that motivates people to use individual seats in home theaters instead of couches?

Who the fuck cares how it looks like with the lights on? That's like putting a white noise machine in a recording studio.
>>
>>1234736
Individual party seating.
A place for drinks right off to the side, which limits movement required to grab them, in comparison to a table.
It sets the tone to watch the move, rather than chill and let shit play on the screen.
And reduced intimacy to prevent sexual distractions, maybe.

Personally if I would set up such a room, I'd use a good quality office chair instead for myself. They're just so much more comfortable in nature for consuming information. They have structure and stability while being just soft enough and mobile. Lean back just far enough to relax, but not enough to lay down and get drowsy. Have a foot rest or coffee table too.

Maybe a classy old man recliner would be cool if falling asleep is okay.
>>
>>1234736
i agree with u, i want my sofa to be as comfortable as a bed because it makes netflix and chill so much easier.
>>
File: ProjectorDLP.jpg (74KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
ProjectorDLP.jpg
74KB, 620x372px
>>1234471
>>1234187
Pretty sure that is an artifact on the DLP projector used. Since the different colors are time-multiplexed you can notice that as rainbow effect in your field of view.
The peripherial field of vision of our eyes is more perceptive of flicker.
More expensive projectors don't have this problem.
>>
>>1234872
That makes sense. I didn't really start to actually notice until after animation classes, where I started to really notice inbetweens and smears when watching cartoons.

How expensive do you have to get to minimize the effect/ get rid of the filter mechanizim? If the space of any future apartments/houses fit it I was thinking of going projector instead of tv.
>>
>>1234599
Do you know if laser projectors are worth it?
>>
>>1234947
>How expensive do you have to get to minimize the effect/ get rid of the filter mechanizim? If the space of any future apartments/houses fit it I was thinking of going projector instead of tv.
To eliminate the mechanism entirely you want a 3 chip projector, but they can be tens of thousands of dollars. Well designed 1 chip projectors can get rid of the effect too by matching the rotation of the filter with the refresh rate of the DMD and spinning it really fast. You can get a decent 1080p projector for about £500, after that price increases are mainly for better contrast ratios and brighter projection.
>>
>>1234599
>Invest in a screen for sure, dont just whitewall it.
How are DIY screens? I don't feel like spending the same amount as I did on my projector for a screen
>>
>>1235768
Where do you find a projector under $300 that isn't 480p?
>>
>>1235771
I'd prefer a fixed screen than a pull down one, and they seem to be way more expensive than $300
>>
>>1235773
Are you trying for something bigger than 140in or something?
Leaving the pull down always down is no different than using a stand.
>>
>>1235773
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEjq-pF20pI
>>
Hey /diy/

I have an Epson 2040, got it on amazon sale for $400.
It is literally unbeatable for that price, and even at $650.

For anyone looking for a budget 1080p LCD(no rainbow effect) projector, get this one. Is excellent.
Oh and also it has very low input lag, great for videogames
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.