[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here ever made their own plate armor? Seems straightf

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: knight-armour-parts.png (357KB, 634x855px) Image search: [Google]
knight-armour-parts.png
357KB, 634x855px
Anyone here ever made their own plate armor? Seems straightforward enough if you don't mind the hours and hours of hammering flat sheet metal into something wearable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-aAz9JlZ7g
>>
What are you protecting yourself from.

It's easier just to buy a bulletproof vest.
>>
>>1233720
lightning strikes?
>>
>>1233718
>seems straightforward enough
Yeah, and making clothes is just cutting and sewing fabric, and framing a house is just cutting wood and hammering nails.
>>
I made a breastplate out of stainless steel. While ago, I cut the shapes on a metal sheet and then did the hammering, it was fun but a complete waste of money, I ended up throwing away the rest of my "armor" without cutting

There are a couple of books online about armor making and tailoring, iirc they are free and have some patterns ready to print

(Unless you're over size 58R)
>>
>>1233801
Carpentryfag here, we both know thats all it is.
>>
File: dunnig.png (117KB, 1344x1214px) Image search: [Google]
dunnig.png
117KB, 1344x1214px
> Seems straightforward enough

sorry, but this is a classic example of the Dunning Kruger Effect.

You dont have the slightest clue how difficult it is, so it seems straightforward.

Sorry, but you couldnt be further from the truth. To get close, you're looking at hundreds in equipment (basics: saftey gear, hammers - hundreds of them eventually, though about a dozen basic ones to start - anvil, stakes which fit into the anvil hardy hole as formers, a heat source (torch) and for well-made stuff, a full heat-treatment kiln and tempering oven. That's a lot of kit, before you even factor the years of practice.
>>
>>1234543
You could start by practicing on thinner gauge metal. Ebay is full of replica armors made out of cheap 16 gauge metal that is easy to form, I own one and it's cheaply made but can be a good starting point.
>>
File: DSCN0151.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0151.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>1233718
I have made a few pieces here and there. I made a 'suit' of armor for my senior year prom. The theme was 'Knight for a Princess,' so I figured, why the heck not. It still would need some more work for it to truly fit properly, and I'll perhaps revisit the idea of it later on, or something. >pic related
>>
>>1234072
Better, there's youtube guides out there by master armorers making them. Praise the internet and its free flow of information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDSNezeW09U
>>
>>1234543
If OP is already a skilled metalworkers who just hasn't made any armour before then it's possible, just difficult.
>>
>>1235278
hory shiiet, send it to From Software
>>
>>1235307
B-but, Dark Souls is over, right?
I mean, I guess there's Bloodborne, but I don't know if that's going to be getting a sequel.
>>
>>1235278
How many layers of m'lady are you on?
>>
File: Prom Court.png (4MB, 1657x975px) Image search: [Google]
Prom Court.png
4MB, 1657x975px
>>1235425
Mayhaps, five, or six, at the moment, good sir.
>>
File: He's_right_you_know.jpg (72KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
He's_right_you_know.jpg
72KB, 800x598px
>>1234073
>>
>>1235278
>>1235828
That's pretty aweson, Anon.
>>
>>1233801
hehe
you're not wrong
>>
File: DSC01568.jpg (3MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01568.jpg
3MB, 3456x4608px
>>1236097
Thank ya' very much, fellow Anon!

I heard mention of From Software, and the Souls series earlier.

I made a coiled sword of sorts. It serves the purpose, and has the look, but I'm not overly happy with it yet. Still, it works as a good fire poker!

>Pic related
>>
>>1235828
Dass cool
>>
>>1238602
Thank you as well!
>>
>>1235828
Did you get your dick sucked?
>>
>>1240730
Sady, nay. I did not. Although, there was a good deal interest by my date, we just, uh, didn't have a good chance for any of that ol' fooling around...

However! Shane Adams noticed my work at a local Renaissance Festival, and I am repairing a piece of his jousting armour. Also, I am now one of his squires for The Knights of Valour!
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.