[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Angle grinders- post em

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 17

File: IMG_0281.png (257KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0281.png
257KB, 450x300px
Brands, wheels, what you use them for, etc.

I got this hitachi, https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hitachi-4-1-2-in-6-2-Amp-Sliding-Switch-Corded-Angle-Grinder/1000014116, from lowes I'm going to use it on concrete, stucco, and chasing cracks in my garage floor.

Getting a collection of diamond turbo blades, cup wheels, and tuck point blades.
>>
>>1232800
angle grinders are the worst tool
so loud
so messy
cutoff disks can explode and kill you
wire wheels shoot needles at you
sparks burn holes in your pants
it's just a disaster every time
just use a hacksaw and a file
>>
>>1232818
sometimes all of those things are still better than fucking around with handle files

as in, most of the time and wear some damn gloves and eye pro you idiot
>>
File: 1498671779515.jpg (63KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1498671779515.jpg
63KB, 625x626px
>>1232818
yeah mate ill just hacksaw my way through a bit of 12mm plate real quick and charge the customer for my time because "i don't like how loud it is :("
>>
I have a big Makita for heavy work. Rarely use it.

But for everyday use I just buy cheap shit €40 ones with adjustable speeds.
2 year warranty if anything breaks after that I get another one.

It's worth having two at once. One with a cut disk the other a grinding one.

Adjustable speed because I prefer slower speed when using clean-n-strip discs.
>>
>>1232800
I have a 13A 11k rpm DeWalt that I use for cutting, hard stone grinding, flap disks, etc. general metalworking. I have a 12.5A variable speed (up to 10.5k rpm) Makita that I use for metal finishing. 3.5" expansion wheel, Scotch-Brite products, generally things that need a lower speed. I have an old (from the "they don't make them like they used to" days, still working flawlessly) 4500 rpm Black&Decker that I usually use with a 7" flat disk. I also have a 7A cheapo one that I keep clamped to a workbench as an 11k rpm bench grinder. I mostly work with stainless steel, occasionally up to 3/4" thick, and having a second horsepower to throw at problems makes a lot of things go better than they would with a regular-duty grinder, and it doesn't add much bulk over a regular 4.5". The nice DeWalt and Makita are a bit pricey though, but besides power they have low vibration, good ergonomics, and electronic controls for things like kickback prevention and soft starts.

Always wear suitable PPE and maintain good practices, OP. Debris hitting you at 150mph can ruin your day, and grinding dust is usually harmful in multiple ways.
>>
>>1232818
lol

face shield & ear muffs & keep the guard on

my harbor freight 'chicago electric' orange 4 1/2" is excellent, already been thru one set of brushes

also got a 6" dewalt

i probably use the wire cup, cutting disc, and grind wheel the most. sometimes i need the flap disc too.
>>
>>1232800
Where the fuck does shit like this even come from. Whewlad.
>>
>>1232818
He isnt man enough to handle a few pricks and sparks to save DAYS of work.

File. No
>>
>>1232818
>cutoff disks can explode and kill you

The blade guard, faceshield, goggles prevent that.
>>
File: Psst.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Psst.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
>>1233428
It comes from the Internet, anon.
>>
>>1232854
Oddly, my blue 'professional' Horror Freight 4 1/2 is a monster and has served me well. When it dies, it'll be missed.

Perhaps a bigger Dewalt will make me forget...
>>
>>1232836
>the market forces you to use a dirty, loud power tool because otherwise you'll be priced out of employment
capitalism works
>>
>>1233490
>The blade guard, faceshield, goggles prevent that.
Yep most of the time.
>>
>>1234695
Don't buy chinese safety equipment.
>>
File: 1475659732328.jpg (75KB, 799x500px) Image search: [Google]
1475659732328.jpg
75KB, 799x500px
>>1233430
I bet you enjoy taking pricks
>>
File: IMG_0282.png (443KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0282.png
443KB, 1024x684px
My bro works at the auto shop for the county's garbage trucks. He had a wheel explode on him, almost took out a finger, and shot into his side. He said it was a combo of using a too slow wheel and angling the wheel wrong. Tired and rushing to get it done about done him all because his boss needs his shekels and needs them NOW.

Also, there is a lot of weird shit on the internets yo.
>>
Welder here.
I've used a bunch of different ones and the only brands that are worth two shits are Walter and Metabo. All the other ones I've tried sucked.
That is all.

I swear I'm not a shill
>>
File: IMG_0284.jpg (154KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0284.jpg
154KB, 360x480px
>>1234769
What would be the next tier down?
Harbor Freight doesn't inspire confidence...
>>
>>1234774
Honestly I don't know, the other ones I've tried shit the bed so hard I wouldn't even consider buying any of them for myself. Can't comment on HF since I'm a leaf
>>
File: unnamed (1).jpg (22KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (1).jpg
22KB, 384x384px
One of these. Don't tell my boss.
>>
>>1232818
Why go through all the effort when a angle grinder and a power file do the job quicker?
>>
>>1234748
Good one...
>>
My girlfriend also uses a hitachi in her pussy.
>>
>>1234544
Sometimes there isn't a better way and you just have to get shit done.

That may be hard for you to understand.
>>
>>1232818
this was my attitude before I got used to using them but now its a tool I use almost daily .

it takes time to get used to the way the sparks will fly and which way the grinder will jump if it catches etc. still got 4 scars , just little lines really . you definitely have to have good hand strength too and plan every cut
>>
>>1232818
I've had dozens of those discs "explode" on me. They don't come apart in shrapnel, they turn to a course dust that is mildly unpleasant when hitting your face. It's hardly even noticable on any other skin. I wear gloves and eye googles, no shield or anything.
>>
Makita SJS 5" angle grinder. It has adjustable RPM, comes with a handle and a guard, can be hooked up to a dust shroud, its components are covered well to protect from dust, its toggle switch can lock on and it auto shuts off when its brushes need to be replaced. I use these HEAVILY and recommend them and their Bosch comparable model as well.
>>
Any real men here with 9" grinders?
>>
>>1232818
Apples just aren't grapes little fox.
>>
>>1236310
My only complaint with makita grinders is adjusting the guard. Milwaukee got it right by having a quick adjust fitting.
>>
>>1232818
Angle grinders work delightfully for me but I wear clear face shields and proper PPE for welding, grinding etc.

Foam ear plugs end the loud.

If you stay out of the plane of rotation and don't overload your discs and use quality discs and brushes, explosions are unlikely and unlikely to take you out.

If you use KNOTTED wheels, not stranded garbage, you won't get a strand bath. (I even wear face shields when using Dremel accessories because they spew strands furiously.)

I don't fucking direct spark streams at my pants. (If you grind often, starching the fuck out of your pants is an old welder trick to make small spatter bounce off. It fucking works. My old BDUs are so starched it doesn't wash out. I love them for grinding.)

If you don't love angle grinders you are grinding wrong.

6" is the ideal utility angle grinder size. I mod the guards on smaller grinders I accumulate to take thin kerf 6" cutting disks.

http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com/ is a good online source if tired of chain store prices.
>>
>>1234769
Welder here and your recommendations are top tier. I also like Pferd.
>>
>>1236392
Yes, but once I got my 6" Metabo they don't get a lot of use.
>>
>>1234544
Your communist ass would get halfway through the project before you lacked the nutrients to continue breathing and keeled over.
>>
>>1236392
yea, had a 9" makita for years before they went shit then tried various shit makes like einhell, had a skil, good grinder bosch seems to be identical, but wore them both out from overheating. currently using a green hitachi 9", it is lasting well.
>>
>>1232800

I got a makita 7 inch and a 5 inch with variable speed control. Use them with a dust shroud and vacuum for grinding and polishing edges on concrete floors.
>>
>>1236310
very nice
what you use is for? Concrete?
>>
File: 20170902_221924_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170902_221924_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Bought a second smaller Porter Cable today because they were on sale and I hate swapping discs. I use mine mostly for metal fan for offroad shit. Mostly because I make stuff for me and it doesn't have to be perfect. No trouble out of the brand so far, they seem to work well and don't shit the bed from getting way too hot.
>>
>>1232800
the Porter Cable 4.5" side switch and rat tail are my favorite cheapo budget grinders. plenty of juice for home shit and dirt fuckin cheap but still solid. think it's like $75 for both. rat tail switch feels skook as frig, especially compared to the shitachi at the depot. don't know if it's ACTUALLY skooky, but feels miles better than the mushy bullshit the shitachi has. had the slide switch for 2 years and the rat tail for 1 and neither has let me down. highly recommend them.
t. unpaid shill
>>
>>1237847
>Porter Cable
>No trouble out of the brand so far
How do they compare to Black and Decker, DeWalt, or Stanley grinders?
>>
>>1237907
not him, but I've used my PC grinding and cutting and shit until the rotor and windings heatsoaked and it was too hot to comfortably hold and you could smell insulation and plastic and shit melting more times than I can remember but it still keeps cooking along no fucks given.
>>
File: thejoke.png (31KB, 812x732px) Image search: [Google]
thejoke.png
31KB, 812x732px
>>1237912
>>
whats a good file for sharpening lawnmower blades?
>>
>>1237934
Where are you?
>>
>>1237907
I mean, sure, you thought a lot about your joke, even selected a low res reaction image, but what's the joke that's so far beyond everyone? I'm sure you're an expert on everything, so let's hear it.
>>
File: Brands.png (717KB, 1120x740px) Image search: [Google]
Brands.png
717KB, 1120x740px
>>1237975
Stanley, Black & Decker, DeWalt, and Porter-Cable are all owned by the same company. Anytime there is a tool argument thread around here people will praise one brand and shit on another in the same breath without realizing that they are often made by the same company.
>>
>>1237974
what?
>>
>>1238082
Yeah, and then we have guys like you who seem to assume that all the brands are designed by the same teams, to the same low specifications and made in the same shitty factory simply because they're owned by the same company.

Hey, have you considered the possibility that DeWalts aren't rebadged Black & Deckers, but rebadged no-name Chinese junk?
>>
>>1232800
the $14 chicago electric from harbor freight is great, and its more than anyone needs. Go pick you up a few of them, theyre 10 for 100 right now!
>>
>>1234544
fuck you cunt. Women worked as grinders in the USSR look it up faggot. Grinding for 10 hours a day. Not handy ripping angle grinders either...Shit ass fucking pedestal grinders that will bite your thumb off and wheels that will most definitely fuck your shit up with no safe place to stand unlike an angle grinder.

>the state forces you to use obsolete unsafe tools without proper PPE to build shitty obsolete machines so cannon fodder has something to die in so the party remains in power
>communism works

>>1236310
This only rat tail. Switches go to shit eventually, then the motors then the gears. Don't even bother with anything other than 5"

>>1237099
Guards are really trying to idiot proof them, I agree the Makitas do suck, we always removed them.

>>1237754
This guys right. Stay out of the rotation. If you're using cut off wheels the bigger the better. Rule of thumb throw the sparks in your direction (this doesn't necessarily mean at you) because if the wheel does explode it will likely throw its pieces away from you. Also if the sparks are going away from you, you're cutting of the wrong side of the stone and you will bind it, and it will either explode or kick back AT you. Always inspect the stone every time you change one. If you find a bad stone break it and throw it away. If you are an idiot or you are going to do something stupid wear a face mask.
>>
File: bait.jpg (21KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
21KB, 600x600px
>>1232818
>>
File: IMG_20170905_233707.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170905_233707.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
Muh
>>
>>1232800
Not getting a paddle, enjoy your appendages while you have them
>>
>>1239391
>green bosch

just buy a hitcahi if you want some good green
>>
>>1239410
This. I've seen wire wheels grab people's shirts and pull the grinder right out of their hands as it wraps itself into their abdomen. Also cutting pipe where the factory weld seem causes the cut area to pinch and bind the disc resulting in serious kickback. Paddles act as a dead man switch in these scenarios and it's so much easier to use with gloves on.
>>
>>1237099
Mine have a little switch you pull that loosens the guard and you can adjust to nearly any angle you'd like depending on which way you're cutting. (Pic related - the guard that comes on all my makita grinders.)

>>1237788
99% Masonry. I grind out mortar joints for repointing. I also grind clean caulk joints after I've removed the majority of the old caulking. I always use diamond tuckpointing blades for cutting masonry. I've cut angle iron and steel plate as well. I'll use a thin carborundum blade for any metal cutting.

>>1239311
Never had a switch go out on my grinders. I never wrap my cords up around the grinder. I've learned that the hard way. I use a velcro strap now. And guards are a NECESSITY for grinding out mortar joints. I wear full face masks, gloves, ear protection, etc. and if you don't have a guard on your grinder, you literally are sandblasting your hands and arms. Not sure why the hate on makita. They've been solid for me. I've had the same grinders that I use heavily for at least 6 years without a hiccup except when it's time to change out my brushes.
>>
>>1239616
You're right about not wrapping your cords up almost everyone fucks that part up.

My references were to metal working. I have 0 hours doing masonry work with an angle grinder.

As far as Makitas I like them we ran 5 inch rat tails instead of the squeeze style. As far as their life spans I welded about 10 years. Recently the newer ones seemed to start breaking down sooner than the older manufactured ones but that could have just been me being a cynical asshole.

We went through alot of them and were always rebuilding them and had a shitload of old ones for parts. As far as how long one would last under what I would call heavy/extreme professional use I would say probably less than 2 years but I can't really give an hourly estimate. It was exasperated by the fact that we shared grinders. We usually probably had about 7 grinders for 10 guys but if varied because it was a constant cycle of sending them to get rebuilt and getting them back. So we had everything from brand new to been rebuilt 5 times in use and break downs probably happened monthly.

On a side note I have my own and for the piddly shit I do around the house I expect it to last my life time. Compared to cutting big beams and channels with cutoff wheels home gamer stuff is peanuts.
>>
>>1232818
i had a guy near me using a wire wheel and i would look down to see another wire poking out of my skin literally every minute. shit tool.
>>
>>1237934
Carbide grinding wheel
>>
Bosch 16inch angle grinders are pretty good, I abused the living hell out of one and they're not too heavy.
Tried a 16 inch makita, heavier than the bosch but overheats too quickly and the thing died the first time I lit it up by having a plastic piece from the inside die and get sucked in the rotor, fuck those
>>
>>1238082
where is hakko?
>>
>>1239906
>16 inch

holy shit. that's almost as big as my dick. you could literally face a mountain with that.
>>
File: xd.jpg (230KB, 1075x1612px) Image search: [Google]
xd.jpg
230KB, 1075x1612px
Has anyone here run a real grinder before?

>>1239311
Meh id rather a wheel bite my thumb than explode right at face level. Thats the shitty thing about grinders is that when you get bit theres no cut it just removes the skin there so theres nothing to sew up.
>>
>>1241238
i've never actually seen a surface grinder, but i have watch many hours of autistic youtube videos describing surface leveling for surface grinders.
>>
Is it ever worth buying a cordless angle grinder?

I want a 4.5/5 grinder and my options are either the Milwaukee m18 fuel one or getting a metabo

I have a lot of M18 tools and batteries because of my job, but it really doesn't matter either way if my angle grinder is corded or cordless, so I'd rather have a better tool with more longevity.

Heavily leaning towards the metabo right now
>>
>>1241284

Also, when is it necessary to move up in amps for someone that doesn't do metal working.

The most I use it for is cutting cast iron drain pipes and copper water lines. I don't do any metal working or welding

I've been using an old Makita 9.5 amp and it's been fine. I like the smaller size of it compared to the 10.5 and 13 amp models of other grinders. I doubt I'd want to move up in size
>>
>>1239553
>just buy a hitcahi if you want some good green
i'm doing this in a couple weeks because their 18v brushless one comes in a kit of tools i want
>>
File: dga508z.jpg (78KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dga508z.jpg
78KB, 1000x1000px
>>1241284
>Is it ever worth buying a cordless angle grinder?
It's fine for small jobs, say you want to score few paving stones outdoors or grind small areas of concrete or railing outdoors.
>>
>>1232818
>just cut quarter inch wall square tubing with hand tools, a little bit of sparks is too much to deal with
Angle grinder with cutoff wheel goes through mild steel faster than an oxy/acetalyne cutting torch
>>
>>1238082
>Makita - Makita
Makita 5" angle grinder is top dog, Metabo has some good runner ups
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.