[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i have $550 and i dunno what hobby to put it into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

hey fags, i'm poor and i rarely have this much disposable income. what hobby should it go into? i'm interested in:
-welding and its complementary metalworking equipment (e.g. angle grinder)
-hydroponics
-chemistry

/diy/ isn't the perfect place to discuss putting money into purchases which are largely not /diy/ but the hobbies themselves are and i feel like /tech/ and /sci/ would reject this thread moreso. and i'm not asking /b/, no fucking way
>>
File: 1500223531765.jpg (17KB, 400x365px) Image search: [Google]
1500223531765.jpg
17KB, 400x365px
>>1231834
Invest in dangerous chemicals
>>
>>1231834
Buying tools is DIY because making your own everything is provably stupid. Anyone not a serious /diy/er with professional background in trades STFUKYSthanxby.

Welding is the most empowering hobby you listed because it makes tools, equipment and useful things. Welding serves you for a lifetime. Modern quality welders are often small, light and portable. (If need gas, get small cylinder for portable and larger for shop use.)

OP should goto real welding forums and never go to this place for a welding question again. Why? For his own benefit. Weldingweb and Miller forums are best. If Euro, migwelding.uk covers EU equipment but the others are vastly superior for everything else. Weldingweb has many specific equipment forums. I have over 4,000 posts there as I'm an equipment guy.

Post questions with details, and if need critique post clear pics. Forget all 4chan posting customs including lack of detail because that's teentard shit.

Welding requires practice and the "empty mind" spoken of in Zen. It's relaxing, interesting and requires patience as you train your muscles to produce the desired result. There are endless interesting things to learn. When you get gud you can barter welding (make the client buy the metal and consumables) for stuff.

http://weldingweb.com/

Make sure you can see at welding working ranges. You'll play with different lens tints and sometimes magnifying "cheaters". Some people use cheap reading magnifying glasses with good results. I ran a welding school toolroom and we stocked cheaters and lenses and clear cover lenses because it payed for itself in reduced waste. You can find school/training threads to make your own training area.

You can teach yourself to weld. If your local CC has a class I recommend them if practical for you to attend.

Do not get frustrated when you make a mistake. They teach you too.

LISTEN to experienced advice. You'll find experienced welders usually agree.

Have fun!
>>
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard

Also check Youtube for training videos.

Chemistry won't make you anything useful at a home level nor will it help furnish a shop.

You can barter welding for food better than bartering food for welding.

Decent quality offshore welders exist. Take welding forum advice from the pros. Ignore all advice from noobs. The nature of welding makes their inputs inferior and if you take inferior advice you'll be frustrated.
>>
outdoors/fishing stuff

it's cheap and lots of time spent to do stuff. go travelling around to spots to fish. make a heap of different lures, see what works etc. make a kayak to fish with. get some used rods/reels and fix them up. get a bike and add stuff to carry gear for camping and rod. then go stay somewhere and fish, then make camp and eat what you caught. make traps or nets, or gathering other things like shellfish, or finding native foods. if you get bored of that make a hobo shelter in a nice spot you find while doing this that won't get noticed. add some crops nearby. build some vietnamese tunnel networks and booby trap the tunnels, then more shelters connected to the tunnel network etc.
>>
>>1231834
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dayton-Vertical-band-saw-stand-model-4TJ91-3-4hp-1725-rpm-/322629759305?epid=598786117&hash=item4b1e3b7149:g:usgAAOSwrhBZDg2H

something like this ^

a heavy duty band-saw for the tig welder you're saving up for
>>
>>1231834
>/Tech/
What? Do you mean /g/?
>>
Ask /biz/
>>
>buy chemistry equipment
>make drugs
>suddenly not poor
>>
>>1231843
Not OP. This is a great post. Thanks.
>>
>>1231834
no wonder why you're poor
Anyway if you want to spend your money consumer technolo/g/y is your friend, basically they discuss about laptops, watches, smartphones, every apple device, headphones, monitors, CPUs, GPUs, motherboards, home servers, PC cases etc.
>>
>>1231834
>i rarely have this much disposable income.
Keep spending money as soon as you get it maybe it will make you wealthy
>>
File: BRpIjKs.jpg (51KB, 640x525px) Image search: [Google]
BRpIjKs.jpg
51KB, 640x525px
Come hang out at /biz/ where we either throw away all of our money or drive newly purchased Lambos by daytrading shitcoins.
>>
>>1231843
>that post again
Do you just copy paste the same thing every single time someone asks anything about welding?
>>
>>1233034
>Do you just copy paste the same thing every single time someone asks anything about welding?

i wish he would stop that.
>>
File: 21.jpg (99KB, 800x531px) Image search: [Google]
21.jpg
99KB, 800x531px
>>1233045
>i wish he would stop that.

he's ruining the /diy/ experience
>>
>>1233027

How do you even buy coins, is there some sort of exchange?
>>
>>1233048
The /diy/ experience shouldn't have to include thrashing, shitty sources and threads with less information than available elsewhere. Unless, of course, you want to make bad welds with junk equipment and never learn how to weld properly.

I also post in welding and other forums where the same content is very well received by professional welders because they, as I have, see the same avoidable noob mistakes all the fucking time.

Noobs are sad and frustrated when they don't know why their weld went wrong. Welding is not intuitive. I've been doing this long enough to know it helps those who listen.

Do you not like useful information or are you just here to shitpost? Everything I post on the subject is correct, sensible and fucking works. Would you like it served differently? Precisely why? Unlike you whingers I've actually trained welders, mechanics and technicians. It's satisfying to help people start out the right way.

You can waste YOUR time and YOUR money doing shit wrong, or you can learn properly from the start.
>>
>>1231834
>poor
>wants to throw away the little money he has rather than save it
Like clockwork
>>
>I'm poor and rarely have this disposable income
Here's a hobby: invest into savings
>>
>>1231834
the savvy investor buys lottery tix.
>>
>>1231843
I vote welder
>>
$550 that you rarely have is not disposable income
>>
>>1234533
>>1232996
>>1234174
>>1234176
>>1234533
Itll literally get wasted away regardless. Spend it while you have it in a big chunk.
>>
>>1234153
It begs the question of why you come here if even your copypasta replies have to include your butthurt about how /diy/ is oh god so terrible. It would not be hard at all to say the same thing without sounding so asspained. You're borderline breaking spam/advertisement rules, too.
>>
>>1233027
DO NOT listen to this litteral cocksucker OP. Fuck /biz and fuck everyone there on that shitty containment scam board
>>
>>1233053
SHUT THE FUCK UP SAMEFAG SHILL.
>>
>>1234174
>poor
>saving money.

Anon one of the dumbest things you can do with money is save it.
>>
Buy a tuk tuk.
>>
>>1231834
Brewing. You have complete control over producing beer in your own house, according to your style/preference. You can also invest very little or a ton of money into it, making it worthwhile to just start with a basic setup.
>>
>>1234905
I had fun with robinhood for a good 6-7 months
Put 500 bucks in initially, made almost 500 bucks, proceed to lose 700 bucks, slowly climbed back up to even.
I cashed out making a profit of like $23.

I realized that I was never going to study hard actual investment, and that meme day trading took most of your day everyday. It was as hard as having a real job without making consistent cash.
>>
>>1236218
Yeah, op, buy a cheap bucket and brew sugar wine with bread yeast, then get into welding while drinking cheap terrible tasting booze.
>>
>>1236237
op could always distill some sugar wash (easy to do). Filter it a couple of times and make some coffee vodka or anything that steeps flavored drink. Try not to do sugar wine unless you plan on making vinegar because the taste is pretty unrewarding.
>>
>>1236240
No, distilling is a hassle, Just mix the wash with juice mix. It doesn't taste good till the Stockholm sets in. Then it tastes great. We call it 'dwarf juice' or 'utility alcohol'.
Don't distill unless you want to go full brew hobby.
>>
>>1236258
I don't know if you could call it a hassle but its better this way.
pot with bowl in the middle
sugar wash around the bowl
another bowl on top with ice in it
stove to 175
distillin on the cheap
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.