[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I stop my tools getting fucked by rust? I keep them oiled

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20170821_110843.jpg (873KB, 2688x1512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170821_110843.jpg
873KB, 2688x1512px
How do I stop my tools getting fucked by rust? I keep them oiled and stored in a good environment, yet this still happens.
>>
>>1231025
i just wipe them down with mineral oil

my squares came in some special anti corrosion coated paper

>B-GRADE
INTO THE TRASH IT GOES!
>>
paint
>>
>>1231025
lol use better oil

and stop sweating on them!
>>
>>1231025
I got a pair of feeler gauges that stay in a zip lock bag with a little motor oil. And the fuckers rust.
>>
File: CleanChuck.jpg (131KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
CleanChuck.jpg
131KB, 640x480px
>>1231025
You know how old iron and steel tools develop a kind of black patina? Picture related, it is a chuck I pulled off of one of my drill presses. See how the body is black but the Morse taper is untouched? That is rust. Black rust. Black rust is the shit. It protects the tool and makes it look good. Look into cultivating it. Or just be like me and buy old tools.
>>
>>1231025
Use a good lithium grease. Light coat all will be fine. I live in humid fuck hole missouri and most my shit is rust free. And keep your hands clean the fuckin oil from them has a shit load of salt.
>>
>ctrl-f
>cosmo--
>0 results
>>
File: pink.png (129KB, 960x240px) Image search: [Google]
pink.png
129KB, 960x240px
>>1231045
My old man is big into restoring and fixing guns.

I went through and started coating all my rusting shit with Norret Moly Resin after a thorough rust removal and and cleaning.

That was like five years ago and it's held up incredibly well.

Dad said I could buy whatever color or "You can have what's left over of the color no one wants their guns coated in"
>"it's pink isn't it?"
>"it's pink"
>"can I have it for free?"
>"Can't sell it otherwise"

Now when I'm out and about I can spot my tools a mile away and I know no-one is going to take them LOL

>pic related, some of moly resin's color options.
>>
>>1231113
>Now when I'm out and about I can spot my tools a mile away and I know no-one is going to take them LOL
I like pink just because I'm a bit of a faggot but honestly this is the biggest boon of having pink or otherwise obnoxiously girly decorated stuff.

Though I once met a guy who one-upped me by having a coffee cup completely covered in disney princess printed duct tape. even I would be afraid of catching the GRIDS touching that thing
>>
>>1231076
Because we're Americans and or Non-Slav Europoors. Cosmology is for the niggers of Europe.
>>
>>1231475
Goddamned autocorrect, cosmoline, not cosmology.
>>
>>1231028
>>B-GRADE
>INTO THE TRASH IT GOES

I don't do much work where a full set of A-Grade squares are required.
>>
>>1231025
Google Sabitoru Rust Erasers and order yourself one of those. Wipe along the grain of the metal, not against it.

They are fantastic for getting rid of rust. Only takes a few seconds of forceful rubbing to scour tools of rust, and unlike liquid-based rust removers, they last fucking forever.
>>
>>1231738
They are basically sandpaper blocks. They are nice for flat surfaces with light rust. Useless if you have to get into a nook or cranny or have to do a large area.
>>
>>1231744
That's true - in which case I've heard a citric acid bath works wonders. I've never tried it myself, though, so I can't say as to its validity.
>>
>>1231745
Citric acid does work. It is also cheap, safe, and easy to dispose of. It is slow, though. If the rust is heavy you will have to take pieces out and clean them periodically so it can work its way through the layers of rust. It isn't great for heavy rust in tight spaces or pieces that are rusted together. It can etch metal if you leave it in too long, so keep an eye on it.

Electrolysis is probably the best method out there. Nothing will get it down to clean metal faster or easier. It takes a bit of work to setup but is the cheapest in the long run and nothing removes rust better. It can be dangerous as you are working with electricity and it off gasses hydrogen, which is flammable. The water left over is not toxic so it is easy to dispose of. It won't etch metal, which is nice.

Evaporust is great for small projects. Probably the second best option out there. It is also reusable and non-toxic, so it's easy to work with and to dispose of. It also doesn't etch metal. It is not cheap, which limits its usefulness for big projects. Harbor Freight carries it, so take one of their coupons and get 20%-25% of their price. I occasionally find it cheaper other places even considering the HF coupon.

Naval jelly is probably third in effectiveness. It is also pretty cheap and easy to find. It is toxic, though. You do not want to handle it without gloves. If you inhale it or get it in your eye it will straight fuck you up. It will etch metal also, so care is needed. Unlike the above solutions, you can't just pour it down the drain. It will destroy ABS pipe, kill the good bacteria in your septic tank, run anything you spill it on and kick your dog when you aren't looking. We used it at work before discovering Evaporust and dropped it soon after.
>>
>>1231738
>>1231744
sandpaper sounds awful for rust removal...

if you want to take the burrs off of a precision flat surface use a precision ground flat stone, regular stones have burrs on them too and they dig in and cut, flat stones are flat and remove burrs from the metal without digging in and cutting.

for pure rust removal the liquid stuff like evaporust or electrolysis will be the best (I think).

Don't fuck up the surface with sand paper, OP.
>>
>>1231767
It's not as strong as sandpaper, but yeah. Going against the grain will reveal scratches.

Sandpaper is perfectly fine if you match the grit the metal was finished with and you sand along the same grain.

>>1231762
Evaporust I've never heard of. If there's a piece of metal I definitely don't want to fuck up - kitchen knives and the like - I'll go with that. Cheers. Shit I don't mind hurting is going with citric acid, though, due to to its availability, affordability and ease of use.
>>
>>1231025
You know those little packets of silica gel you get when you buy certain things? I keep as many as I can and just keep a couple in my tool boxes. As well as oiling my tools I haven't had any problems with rusting and It's fairly humid here.
>>
>>1231131
Your idea isn't new and many contractors spray bomb their power tools pink or other nasty colors to deter theft. I do mine when I work at a jobsite.
>>
I was told methylated spirits'd work for removing rust. True?
>>
>>1236368
Dont most rubbing alcohols have water in them?
>>
>>1236371
Yes, isopropyl alcohol forms an azeotrope with water at 91%, thus the strongest you can typically buy at the local pharmacy. You can add salt to separate the water into its own distinct phase.
Methylated spirits are ethanol+methanol and are a bit harder to dry iirc.
>>
>>1231025
It could be your sweat
>>
I use vinegar-water solution to remove rust from tools. Use it like 1 part of vinegar and 5 parts of water. Leave tools in bucket of that solution overnight, and in the morning they are rust free. Then rinse tools with hot water, and dry with hairdryer. And apply paraffin oil, to make them not rust again. Paraffin oil soaks into iron when tools are hot, and oil is warmed in microwave oven.
>>
File: 020066770181.jpg (42KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
020066770181.jpg
42KB, 900x900px
Why not spray everything down with a light coat of this?
>>
>>1236451
With many alternatives and potential home-remedies available for this particular task, the goal becomes to find the cheapest possible solution. I've no idea how much that Rust-oleum costs, but I'll bet it costs you more than some citric acid powder or vinegar.
>>
>>1236687
True, but then you have to look at how long each of those options is going to last before you have to do it again.
>>
>>1236931
How does it compare to WD-40? That's my go-to for rust prevention after scouring any rust off a tool.
>>
>>1237973
3 in 1 oil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ZThs1y8xs
>>
>>1231762
I've used vinegar for years for minor rust removal...
>>
>>1237978
That 3-in-1 is fantastic, and only $3 at my local Bunnings compared to $23 for the crystal clear enamel coating... I'm going to pick up some 3 in 1 tomorrow. Thanks for the vid.
>>
>>1231038
>>1231028
Why do people suggest keeping everything you own an oily mess?
This hardly seems like a reasonable solution.
>>
>>1238472
>oily mess

You are using too much oil.
>>
>>1238488
idk, all I know is when I get a new knife or some air tool oil spills past the intake and onto the handle it drives me nuts until its been wiped off and my hands are greasy and everything I touch gets greasy and its disgusting.
when going to my dads stuff, sometimes random stuff is just covered in grease from 20 years ago and its a pain in the ass.
I have no problem wallowing around in grease, oil, or gasoline but when I grab my tools I like them to be clean and dry, especially when I go to use them on something that grease has no part of and most defiantly when working on something that grease or gas would actually melt
>>
>>1238492
just spray/oil a rag lightly and wipe the tool down

for old tools though - its better to be greasy than be seized and corroded
>>
>>1231025
Drink alot of orange juice or other acidic food

Handle steel tools

Without wiping with an oiled cloth

Complain about rust
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.