[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've been NEET for the past for years and I recently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 22

File: Custom_Shed-1040x791.jpg (77KB, 1040x791px) Image search: [Google]
Custom_Shed-1040x791.jpg
77KB, 1040x791px
So I've been NEET for the past for years and I recently got a good deal on a shitty plot of land, tiny as hell. It would work better as a garden plot but since I need a place to live besides this shitty basement which could be sweet with a ton of repair but will probably just be converted into a lapidary workshop, but I am gunna live in a she'd turned tinyhouse a lot like the one pictured. I'm gunna have the little ridge in front of the porch as storage for a little loft I'm going to sleep in. Advice to make this not such? I live in zone 7a so I was going to make sure to insulate but yeah what do
>>
File: Green_casita-882x702.jpg (113KB, 882x702px) Image search: [Google]
Green_casita-882x702.jpg
113KB, 882x702px
They also have the "Little House" option which such not as be
>>
File: Casita_2cc-923x519.jpg (45KB, 923x519px) Image search: [Google]
Casita_2cc-923x519.jpg
45KB, 923x519px
Also available is the "Dirty" Mexican
>>
So you've failed at life and now you're looking at moving in a literal shit metal box.

That's your solution? A shed loft? Jesus
>>
File: Yellow_House_bathroom-1058x638.jpg (73KB, 1058x638px) Image search: [Google]
Yellow_House_bathroom-1058x638.jpg
73KB, 1058x638px
>>1226878
You will notice the many features
>>
File: Yellow_House_kl-979x547.jpg (67KB, 979x547px) Image search: [Google]
Yellow_House_kl-979x547.jpg
67KB, 979x547px
You will also notice the lack of features, what do I do about that?
>>
>>1226881
maybe try putting some features in. tv, toilet, microwave, and dakimakura should do it
>>
>>1226885
I was going to try to make a vermicomposting toilet. Electricity is a question though, theres are two sheds that are metal and not live in able but, how do I wire a shed and not die? That body pillow is a great idea. I was going to put a mattress up there but I think I'll do some thick ass blankets like they do. Should I out carpet in the floor? Tile? How do I make the most out of 200 square feet?
>>
The metal sheds have electric, forgot to mention
>>
>>1226881
Put in a frame like Ikea SUNNERSTA for the kitchen.
>>
File: 6332754214267859845068102346.jpg (38KB, 480x356px) Image search: [Google]
6332754214267859845068102346.jpg
38KB, 480x356px
i wish i had your guts
>>
I see free and cheap mobile homes all the time. Why go for a shed?
>>
>>1226889
>I was going to try to make a vermicomposting toilet.

You can dig a simple outhouse then pipe your shit into the hole below the outhouse instead of digging a hole for a septic tank, though that isn't particularly difficult and used to be done all the time by hand. My bro did it years ago on his rural property and he'd have to be an elephant to overwhelm the outhouse. If it ever gets full, dig another pit and move the outhouse.
>>
>>1226928
A she'd because I'm going to be staying where I'm putting it at and the conditions of the plot, it's separated into three tiered levels, makes it hard to transport a mobile home. Need something you can build up in that spot
>>1226930
I like the idea of a vermicomposting toilet because it reduces all smell and gives you a rich source of compost. I'm gunna be doing a lot of gardening.
>>1226904
You too can be the failed life minimalist simply by failing everyone and everything!
For real though I'm 19 and planning on living in this shed while I spend two years getting an associates degree. I wouldn't do this if I was a thirty year old man or a nigger
>>
>>1227152
that's a nice BLACKED template you have there. mind if I copy it for memes?
>>
>>1227152
>For real though I'm 19 and planning on living in this shed while I spend two years getting an associates degree.

Your parents wont let you live at home while you are going to community college?
>>
>>1226873
How much money are you paying for the shed, and how much money did you pay for the land?

At 19 you are much better off just saving the money you are blowing at an alarming rate.

Also have you checked local building codes?
Tiny Houses are essentially illegal unless you pay thousands to get plumbing put in and thousands to have electricity dropped to it.

City catches wind you have a house and didnt do it to code, theyll tear the fucker down
>>
how can you be NEET for years, and only be 19?
Did you drop out of high school
>>
File: 1483604658845.jpg (55KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1483604658845.jpg
55KB, 300x300px
>>1227156
>>
>>1227166
No sir they will not.
>>1227169
Skipped 8th grade and dropped out in freshman year, got my GED on my 16th birthday like a queer
>>
>>1227167
>>1227167
I'm getting around city codes for housing by building a shed. I live in a small town, any structure 200 square feet or less flys under the radar.
The land is essentially free because of a preternatural relationship I've formed with this old woman. Be homeless for a while and you take what's given I guess.
Shed however is going to cost 400 for down payment and delivery and that includes on site building. After that it's an achievable 60-100 monthly. Planning on maybe Daisy chaining car batteries and getting a gasoline generator, I don't need much more running than a charger and a fan. I can go inside the main house for kitchen needs. My low cost solution to toiletries was a gravity fed vermicomposting toilet, maybe 200 dollars all together with no maintence besides tossing in yard trimming and biolitter
>>
>>1227187
>gasoline generator,
anon, just search around you might find old/cheap solar panels, get you straight DC for all of you electronics.
>>
>>1226889
Ok, so wiring is not too bad, you just need to look at your input voltage. Are you going to lay wire in conduit and add a breaker from the main house to get 20A service? fairly common for power tools in sheds and shouldn't raise an eye, your local library should have like 10 different books on it plus you can call the county building inspectors office and their job is to explain the code to you. Just say you are considering buying a shed and want to wire in a few outlets.
OTOH you aren't going to be getting stand alone electric service, don't even try. For solar, look up whatever for the solar system, they generally need a battery bank and a charge controller to be effective, and generally your best bet is to use low voltage appliances, 12V, and a car charger converter to charge anything that needs charging.

My advice re insulation is to put in concrete pilings and build it with a space underneath and add stairs. That will let you insulate the floor, give you a crawlspace to put in plumbing and drainage etc. Cold floors are the biggest complaint I've heard about mobile homes/trailers/tiny homes.
If you run a hose from a spigot from her house and connect it to a plumbing pipe system inside your shed, you get the same water pressure. So a sink for basic cooking/drinking/washing hands and a shower going to a buried drainage pipe should be ok, because it's not septic, but check your building code/health code for outdoor showers, varies a lot place to place.
Obviously, you need to shut it off and drain it for winter/below freezing temps or it'll burst the hose and also her spigot and possibly your plumbing system. But drainage is still nice because you can shower with a few gallon jugs carried inside from kitchen.
Also would let you put the toilet under the floor = bigger container.
>>
>>1227303
>>1227152
Be aware that gardening with composted human waste is quite illegal without a ton of permits and EPA inspections because pathogens, you need to be able to cook it for hours to kill anything that is in it.
Also, the best advice I've seen regarding tiny house plumbing is to make sure that your toilet is setup to divert piss and poop into different containers, poop doesn't smell once it dries out, which is the point of sawdust. pee also soaks into the sawdust and stops smelling strong pretty quickly, if you let it sit it ferments.

I would still add a clamp/latch and some weatherstripping for an airtight seal on the toilet lid, whatever you use.

Oh, almost forgot, upgrade and ask them to use storage trusses for the shed. Storage truss gives you space to put stuff in the roof, just add 3 or 4 1X3's for "shelving", and you can stack storage containers/boxes of clothes, books, etc so you don't take up a ton of space. I do woodworking out of a shed, and I also say pay the extra to have them build the walls higher so the trusses are over your head by a bit. that will let you hang lights from the trusses without them being in your face.

If you don't do electrical, heat is an issue, you definitely don't want to die of CO poisoning. If you put it up on pylons you might be able to do a roman style floor air radiator by running pipes under the floor and using battery power fans/thermostat to run air through a heat exchange coil around a well insulated stove outside. Or propane heater.

>>1226891
Metal is fine, you would just want to spend a few $$$ insulating and framing up walls inside.

>>1226873
Honestly though, post pictures of shitty basement, it may be less effort/money to repair into decent living space than to do tinyhouse shed.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170813-202359.png (418KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170813-202359.png
418KB, 720x1280px
>>1226880
There are streets for pic related
>>
>>1226889
Kek. Just throw up some insulation and sheet it with the cheaoest plywood you can. Vinyl 1 section and wall off a shitter and have kitchen area or if poorfag then i dunno. Do NOT wire it yourself if u dont normally play with wiring ffs.

Tiny house shit is a meme. My office is about 200 squarr feet and it works fine as one big room. Maybe another small room for a shitter if i was gonna live there.
>>
>>1226928
Cause moving 1 is $2,000 minimum and likely a shithole. Moving them fucks shit up also.
>>
>>1227152
Kek. Im 31 and tried to talk my wife onto a 14x40. Aint no shame in it. Shell is done and can built the inside as u wish.
>>
File: IMG_20170624_154455.jpg (488KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170624_154455.jpg
488KB, 2560x1440px
>>1227187
>I can go inside the main house
Dude,, just tap off the existing utilities.
I had to do fucking everything, I started with 15 acres in the middle of a forest with nothing.

You can buy a 250 foot roll of standard 12/2 wire off the internet for like $40.
4" PVC pipe for sewer is better, but you can get 3" for like a buck a foot.
Insulation is a little pricey, but worth it.
Drywall also add up.

Timestamp is old but its dark and can't take another right now.
>>
>>1227378
Honestly that's what I want, a functional small space akin to an office. I think I'm gunna forget the kitchen focus on making the liveable etc space feel as big as I can make it and make sure the tacos I'm sure are gunna be doing the actual instillation give me some goddamn storage trusses, this has been good bread for me.
>>
>>1227306
You'll get a picture of my steamed asshole before I move my shit to show you the water damage, concrete damage, mold issues, and the generally shitty weird basement I currently call home. The actual house is over a hundred years old and I could count on the knob and tube wiring breaking down and burning the place down before I make the sun ground level shithole where I lay my head at night liveable
>>1227375
Kek
>>1227439
Right the fuck on Anon
>>
>>1226873
I will post photos of the yard and let everyone insult it tomorrow if anyone wants. I'm planning a series of raised beds, a small greenhouse coming off the side of the shed, and maybe starting a Ps Azurescens bed behind my planned designated shitting box
>>
>>1227540
Yes. Pics so we can ridicule and also help maybe
>>
>>1227537
Righton anon. Well, you can go for a rustic feel and after u insulate just sheat it with trash tin or junk boards as u go. Would look shit/10 probably but save u some cash for a bit.

You for sure want carpet and padding and find a way to make your pipes not friends under the cuckshed. PEX water pipes are higher but if they do freeze then your just out of water for a bit and not replacing shit. If going solar just be careful with your wiring and dont burn alive. Good luck bro
>>
>>1227439
Thats a nice cuckshed anon.

Did u be sure and spray thompsons water seal on it or something. Shit will rot around u if u aint careful
>>
>>1227439

Damn, my dude. That actually looks like a pretty sweet set-up. How much did the unit/house run you? There are lots of independent builders and fabricators that make units like these in Georgia (both metal and lumber). I was thinking about getting a 10 acre plot and a metal unit.

Would you recommend any tips or essential items for this alternate life style? What are the most common inconveniences and downsides of livings like this?
>>
>>1226873
>could be sweet with

>>1227789
>looks like a pretty sweet set-up.

nobody says that anymore.
>>
>>1227789
The cabin/shed whatever you want to call it was like $8k delivered- broken down to $250 a month.
Totally overpriced, but I didn't plan on doing this, it just kind of happened and that was the fastest alternative.
You could build one yourself for about 1/3 the price.
I'm in central-ish Georgia, so one thing I have going for my property is that you can drill a well anywhere.
Another good thing is that the main power line runs down the road, close to the corner I put the shack on. The local power company gives you 300 feet of install free- after that its $4 a foot for overhead, $7 a foot for underground. Placement on the property could have easily cost me another $5k just for electricity.
I had to install my own service pole, some electric company's will install one for you- depends on who you get stuck with.
Luckily I had a friend with an empty house that was only 15 minutes away- otherwise it would have been near impossible to survive.
Figure $2,500 for septic, $1,000 for electricity, $5k-$7k for well and another $2k minimum for things like AC/heater, insulation, toilets and sinks etc plus the lad and cabin and its not as cheap as you'd hope. Plus nothing happens overnight. I started in early February when the temperature dropped down to the teens at night and I had to wait 2 weeks for them to hook up my power.
>>
>>1227789
In addition, my neighbor has 15 acres- but is very limited where he can put a septic tank.
A friend does inspections for septic installs and told me about someone who bought some land, but it was below the flood plane- they actually couldn't put a septic system anywhere on their property without having a soil engineer coming in and totally reshaping their land (figure $20k just to have the land modified so you can then put in a special septic system that costs $10k).

So be sure to understand what the land consists of before buying. That cute meadow is devoid of trees and has ample grass for a reason.
>>
>>1227622
The outer panels are shit. Theyre already splitting. I'm either going to slap another layer on it of higher grade mterial or spray the whole damn thing with bedliner.
>>1227789
Major inconveniences are shit like never having enough space. Its like living in a hotel room.
Save those extra Penny's for an actual storage shed.
Get the largest cabin you can- height, width, length. Mine has the lofted ceiling and that extra storage space is invaluable- also the vaulted ceiling doesn't feel as claustrophobic as the other styles.
If you're planning on doing it yourself, you need to be mechanically inclined.
Wiring is easy even if you have no experience or clue where to start. But you have to get it right, as in you have to have enough brains to internet search and actually understand the results.

I could go on for another 100 posts about what to do and what to avoid.
>>
File: designmainpage.jpg (387KB, 2280x964px) Image search: [Google]
designmainpage.jpg
387KB, 2280x964px
OP here
Here's the plot
http://imgur.com/a/9TglF
The images were too large to upload in the thread itself.
>>
>>1228024
>http://imgur.com/a/9TglF
Well shit.

No offense bro but that messy as fuck. Also the slope on that hill looks like a bit of a bitch, how are you gonna keep the whole thing from sliding down the hill after a few rainy days?
>>
Get used to the idea of living there long term OP. You're not going to finish a two year degree program with communication skills like this.
>>
>>1228037
Theres a hill going all along the left side along the fence, the main yard is separated by three walls that break it up into tiers. It's messy as fuck though, its fucking gross honestly and overran with weeds from the monsoons, those are gunna die in about a month though when the water stops and I'll be able to get the trash out and start clearing out two generations of hoarding. (Grandpa hoarded and brothers son who moved in after dead hoarded)
Flooding carrying the shed away is thankfully not a huge issue.
>>
>>1228039
Kek
Maybe I'll go for a liberal arts degree instead of a STEM field
>>
tfw make 80k a year and considering the same thing
>>
>>1227379
This. If it's 1970's or older and you try to tow it down the road, it will start to shake itself apart.
>>
>>1228474

tfw i just want out of the debt system and overall false value society we currently live in.

djee im constantly thinking of dropping everything to go homestead and get a bit of beer money by sharpening knifes in a little canadian village.

the things 4chan make you do
>>
File: images (1).jpg (17KB, 433x340px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
17KB, 433x340px
>ceiling and wall lining a small country house with dark stained 7mm plywood

Yes or no? It's going to be like a 48m2 babby house. Would a pale stained pine trim for door and skirting go nicely with that?
>>
>>1228602
It sounds nice, not even shitting you
>>
>>1228059
If you are putting it on the hill i'd recommend a french drain.
>>
>>1227187
Be honest anon. You boned her didn't you?
>>
>>1229020
Since this is an anonymous board I'm not even going to lie to you. I got some paperwork signed by boning her. I'm basically paying rent with my pipe. She's 47 and not a horrible 47 but I still shower and shit after because it doesn't exactly feel great on my end. On the plus side I get to bust inside because menopause and she's only made me eat her once thank fucking God.
>>
>>1228962
Good tip. Thanks Anon.
>>
>>1229139
Kek
>>
>>1229139
I wish I could get free stuff with my penis. That's a pretty sweet deal.
>>
>>1229178
This. Don't feel bad anon, we all have to use the tools we were given.
>>
>>1229139
where do i find old women that will give me free stuff for fucking them?
>>
>>1229239
Palm Springs
>>
File: IMG_1191.jpg (37KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1191.jpg
37KB, 300x300px
>>1229279
No can do
>>
>>1228492
They used to be worth hauling off for free because trailer axles. But now those are illegal metal is down.

Old trailer houses are only good for shitting up a neighborhood.
>>
>>1228509
Anon, you should read rich dad poor dad.
>>
>>1228887
This
>>
>>1229139
Kek, we are proud of you anon. Aint no shame in not being a homeless degenerate.
>>
File: 1480543540915.png (229KB, 1200x807px) Image search: [Google]
1480543540915.png
229KB, 1200x807px
>>1229178
>cymbalta
>mfw my dick is just for show
>>
>>1229279
L

O
L
>>
>>1228887
>>1229876
>tfw other anons approve of your superior taste

Feelsgoodman.
>>
>>1229139
gotta do what you gotta do
>>
You do realise youre gonna have to pay 90k to get electricity, water, sewerage and internet put in?
>>
>>1228037
he could dig footings ffs
>>
>>1230116
>what are PV panels and wind generators
>what is a well
>what is a septic tank
>what is a 4g modem

This is why city livers shouldn't build in the country.

>Yeah bro I just need you to dig a 2km trench down my driveway to hook up my internet

Fucking retards.
>>
>>1230180
Nah bro, im a ruralfag. The shit you mentioned is expensive as all fuck, im just lucky that my land was former dairy. "Homesteading" aint cheap.
>>
>>1230180
It's not 90k expensive, unless you're trying to fully replicate an on-grid lifestyle i.e. electric heaters, fibre broadband.
>>
>>1230180
All those things are expensive retard. All I was trying to get at is that OP doesnt have the money to live like a neet on his plot of land.
>>
>>1230195
>off grid power setup approx 10k
>well and tanks approx 10k
>septic 15-20k
>4g internet 100 bucks a month

Doesn't add even close to 90k m8
>>
>>1230197
Yea, but its still too expensive for neet OP. Get your autistic head out of your ass, im not trying to be accurate, im just trying to say that this shit is expensive.
>>
>>1226878

It's better then renting or living in his parents basement like you do.

Gotta start somewhere and owning your own home is a pretty big achievement now days.
>>
File: IMG955292.jpg (420KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG955292.jpg
420KB, 1200x1600px
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.
Where are you people getting these prices?
In a standard setup, you'll wind up paying around $10k for ALL your utilities.
Pic related, MY septic tank and MY service power pole.
>>
>>1230208
Where you live? I paid 15k for my septic alone.
>>
>>1230209
Central Georgia.
I payed $1,950.
Friend payed $3,200 for a larger system in same area.
Both systems were installed in the last month so they're current prices, with dual chamber tanks and everything to code.

It took a 4 man crew less than 3 hours to install mine- that includes landscaping afterwards.

You got ripped off.
>>
>>1230215
Shits just expensive in New Zealand
>>
>>1230208
California here
Just got three quotes to put a tub in a bathroom, tipe and drop in a premade Vanity.

$10-15k for some beaners to fuck it up

Please send help.
>>
>>1230208
Man, it is almost like shit costs different amounts in different places. Who would have thunk it.

>>1230287
>Bitching about the cost of having someone else do the work on DIY
It is like you don't even know the point of the board. What are you going to do next? Go to /pol/ and complain about how there are too many racists on the internet?
>>
>>1230323
The difference between $3k and $15k is not due to geography.
Concrete and PVC pipe doesn't suddenly cost 5x more when you cross a state line.

He's either leaving out specific information or he's an idiot that overpaid.
>>
>>1230356
>The difference between $3k and $15k is not due to geography.

Raw materials arent the only cost in construction
>>
>>1230358
So the guy who installed my tank made $500
The guy who installed his tank made $12,000- for 3 hours of work.
>>
>>1230323
The problem is with a lot of service type work you are not actually allowed to do it yourself in a lot of the world and if the government finds out you put in your own septic tank and plumbing they will force you to get a plumber in to rip it all out and do it from scratch.

This kind of bullshit leads to contractors all hiking their prices up since people HAVE to pay them. Especially if they are the only company that will service a certain rural area.
>>
>>1230440
Wages are drastically different in different parts of the country

Who would have thought?
You ever look at real estate and median wages of san fransisco?
>>
>>1230231
Nigga I live in New Zealand. How the fuck did you pay 90k for services? You can easily get a septic tank+well for 30k even from a hardcore ripoff merchant. Now you don't have to connect either of those services the the boundary. You could easily /diy/ a sick totally off grid power set up for under 15k. And why the fuck would you dig a trench just for a fucking phone cable rather than just get wireless internet with no install cost? Congratulations, you can now build your house ANYWHERE on your section too.

What on earth did you spend 90k on?
>>
>>1230541
I never spent 90k, the land I bought was an old dairyfarm. It had power and water. I just payed around 35k to get decent internet and septic (was allowed to excavate myself but septic company had to install it along with a bunch of council monkeys).
>>
>>1229139
Well done!

It's still pussy.
>>
>>1230215
SC anon here. There are many reasons I left the Northeast, and costs are sure as fuck one of them. Contractors have captive audiences in urban areas so they drive the cock in deep.

My water table is high enough for driven wells. Self and bros have done them for a few hundred bucks including the well pump.

If I had to live dirt cheap (well, I actually do since everything is paid off, so dirtier cheap) I'd start with a shed/trailer/box truck/whatever to keep the rain off then dig a pit and build an outhouse. Well would be next (and you can buy deepwell hand or foot pumps). After that would be a toilet in my structure connected underground to the outhouse.
Next would be mobile home pole with outlets.
>>
>>1230564
>well>septic>electricity
I personally think you're going backwards.
You can fill jugs with water on the way home.
Construction is difficult without electricity- you need A/C to charge battery's even if you're doing everything on cordless tools.
I wouldn't waste time on digging an outhouse- regulations are worse than a septic tank, and outhouses are more effort. Not to mention you're stuck with a hole full of shit.
>>
>>1230763
Note I was dropping a shelter first and assuming very little startup money. If need for shelter isn't immediate I'd do what I did for my shop and do electricity first, but the initial shelter negates immediate need for construction.

If you live where outhouses are not regulated or are grandfathered, you can do what my bro did and do the outhouse then pipe the toilet to the dug pit which is easier and quicker and cheaper than digging a septic tank. No stench issues because outhouse is reasonable distance from the building he lives in.

People tend to overestimate septic/sewage issues. They also tend not to understand how drain fields work. When my old drain fields failed it was more convenient to connect a long 4" PVC drain (with a cleanout every couple pipe sections, though I've not needed them) to a dry ditch on my property. No stank over many years, even on the hottest most humid days. Abundant plants evaporate the water (vegetation is your friend) negating need for drain fields. If I ever sell I'll have a new system installed but I won't need it as long as I live there. There's simply not that much sewage and it's broken down in the septic tank.

If you have a car or truck (a given since rural) you can charge batteries off an inverter going to and from work. I leave inverters in my trucks since I use cordless tools often. Works fine.

If you stick build then you either need power or a genset or a heavy duty alternator/inverter combo but most poorfags don't have those. If you have money but don't want to spend it and live cheap to save it, tools and equipment always pay off.

There's a useful sequence for most budgets and most scenarios. Let your situation guide your choice.

For example moving mobile home trailers often requires a permit, but moving sheds and "storage" trailers may not. My redneckbros I learned from either did it slick and correctly or got hard headed and didn't.

I'd copy success.
>>
File: 1501114270034.png (508KB, 720x903px) Image search: [Google]
1501114270034.png
508KB, 720x903px
>>1227928
>$8K delivered but can build one yourself
Lots of the metal units I have looked into aren't that expensive and are about the same price. The ones I have looked into are typically 600-900 square feet for under $10K. Many of which have lofts. I could also work out a deal with a carpenter friend for a cheaper unit.

>electrical
I was actually thinking about looking into solar or a generator/batteries for awhile since I don't really need that many electronics. I'd only ever need to run my various chargers, very small desktop (micro ATX, Pentium, shit gpu, barebones Debian), microwave, tools, and coffee machine. I've been able to live in the mountains alone for two or three days comfortably since I don't need too much to live. Plus I'd only be running some of these things for short periods of time.

>septic
Although the EPA might not like it, I was thinking of just doing human composting. Don't know shit about it though.

>water/well
I was thinking of just doing a set-up with a cistern and filtration system. I can take my showers at the gym during the winter.

I was also thinking about getting a woodstove for cooking and heat. Basically my plan is to get the unit nice and secure. Properly fixed to the foundation, sealed fully, and locked up. Then from there I can work with the bare essentials and work my way up to better shit. Might just bite the bullet and get a power pole outright.

Thanks for all the good posts from all the anons in this thread. This shit is a great help.
>>
File: guyfieri.jpg (107KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
guyfieri.jpg
107KB, 640x640px
>>1227375
Pajeet pls
>>
File: drive-point-well.jpg.cf.jpg (21KB, 399x412px) Image search: [Google]
drive-point-well.jpg.cf.jpg
21KB, 399x412px
>>1230825
You can usually tap into municipal power cheap.
For the price of panels, inverter, battery's you might as well just install a service pole.

Depending on your location, a well can be as easy as a sledge hammer and 30 feet of casing with a well point. Some home improvement stores will rent an electric jackhammer for kinda cheap- if you have a generator or a live service pole, you can have a well in about 30 minutes.

Don't cheap out or run a bullshit septic system. You'll be poisoning your land and when the wind shifts you'll hate it.
>but outhouses have been used for thousands of years.
And people used to die of cholera.
>>
>>1229153
>>1229178
>>1229192
>>1229239
>>1229877
>>1230114
Oh my god I never thought I'd get support for this.
If you want your own exploitative cougar my advice is be young, white, and visible/available. Before I met this woman I was a homeless jackoff, I met her by doing community service (a really solid way to meet people, which is the biggest resource if you are homeless)

Older women are as sexually perverted as young men and just as willing to take advantage of another human beings situation to get their nut.

Anyway this has been some great fucking bread. I am honestly thankful for all the good advice Anon has given me here and hopefully in the spring you guys will get an update about that dude who boned himself into a place to sleep and live. I am planning a lot of garden shit I'm not 100% sure about so it's not gunna just be a dick-stroking personal update, my dumb ass is going to be asking for more info.
>>
>>1230943
absolutely fuck getting connected to the grid. For a little more investment you dont have to get suckered into paying monthly electric bills for the rest of your life, which certainly where I live can easily be in excess of 500/month if you are running heating. 2 years worth of those bills covers a 5kw solar system, 7x325ah batteries, a sick charge controller and a 2kw wind turbine. Then you don't have to pay power for around 20 or so years depending how well your panels and batteries last. It's a fucking no brainer really.
>>
File: IBC-section2-1 (1).jpg (1MB, 1444x1012px) Image search: [Google]
IBC-section2-1 (1).jpg
1MB, 1444x1012px
>>1230943
What's your opinion on a vermicomposting toilet? I am figuring it will be good. The human waste is turned into worm castings, self regulating worm population in a large tank, with the wastewater fed to what I think is called a leach field?
>>
>>1230961
$500 a month is outrageous.
That's a 2 story, 5 bedroom house in the desert with the A/C set to 65° in the summer.

Solar and wind are options, but it all depends on location. Most wind turbines are only good for a fraction of your power needs- during winter the solar panels will generally not be enough unless you live in the southwest of the U.S.
>>1230961
Composting toilets have limited use.
They're great for hunting cabins or weekend getaways- but for daily use they generally don't have the capacity to function properly. If they are large enough, then you might as well dig a hole and drop in an actual septic tank, since that would be about the only difference.
My county allows property owners to take a class for like $75, which then permits them to install a single septic system on their property them self.
There are many rednecks who have hunting trailers out in the middle of a 300 acre plot around here. They just dig a hole and drop in a 55 gallon drum then connect a perforated PVC pipe to act as the leach field and bury it all. Im not saying to do that, but they work with limited usage.
>>
>>1230959
Double kek, good luck anon.

>>1230965
Like the other guy said, shit is New Zealand is . As rich business owners here like to say "The price of living in paradise" while they and their mqueeze every fucking penny and wont even hire a fucking New Zealander. But I digress.

Sun and wind hours here are great for generating power, I'm pretty confident it would generate all our needs which are not a lot really. Especially since the cylinder will run on a wetback fire.
>>
>>1230970
Typos just fuck my shit up bro, Jesus.
>>
>>1230970
One thing to remember about those standard solar/wind/battery off-grid setups...
They specifically say
>"will run an entire house!" (*except for air conditioning).
You have to spend big money to get big output.
You can easily put a $5k system to the limit and run into issues.
Take a long shower and now the water heater is fired up along with the well pump, while the wife is cooking on the stove and the fridge kicks on because she's been opening the door to it all morning and you just ate half your battery charge that took you 3 days to get because its been cloudy.
Not to mention you have to replace that $2,500 worth of battery's every 5 years because they cycle all day long and are worn out.

Neighbor has one of the $5k systems, with solar panels and a wind turbine.
He still relys on municipal power and he fires up his generator when a storm knocks down a power line because his system can't handle everything.
And he's in a cabin, not some massive house.
>>
>>1226878
GTFO back to /b/ or something. If he owns his own land, hell, that's better than 90% or more of people here.
>>
>>1231026
I mean... sure if you wanna live like you're in a city... and not cut down on consumption... you'll need to dump $10k into panels, $30k into batteries (lithium), and $10k for your charge controller and inverter stuff, etc.

But if you wanna just I don't know... be reasonable and not have a 2 hour shower, and have a gravity fed water system and proper power management and insulation... you could build the whole system for under $10k and be very happy with it.

Batteries (with proper service) can last about a decade, if they're not over-taxed.
(Don't discharge them to more than 50% ever (if lead acid) and have way more than you think you'd ever need.)
>>
>>1231026
>Take a long shower and now the water heater is fired up along with the well pump,
Why don't americans believe in storing water in a tank?

Seriously I've never heard of a yankee home that doesn't have an on-demand system instead of a proper hot water tank that fills gradually throughout whenever you're not using hot water
>>
>>1231142
Fucking your cousins stifled critical thinking skills
>>
>>1226873
op the government is going to rape the shit out of you if you don't build to regulations
>>
>>1231142
>Seriously I've never heard of a yankee home that doesn't have an on-demand system instead of a proper hot water tank
I don't think hot water tanks are all that rare in the US. I've seen plenty, and my house has one, so you can at least say you've heard of one now.
>>
>>1231142
>that doesn't have an on-demand system instead of a proper hot water tank that fills gradually throughout whenever you're not using hot water

this doesn't make a lot of sense. ordinary hot water heaters stay filled even when you are using them. the only thing that changes is the temperature inside as the fresh cold water pushes the hot water out.

and I'm pretty sure that old-fashioned hot water heaters are the norm all over america unless some brand new sub-division is all on-demand.
>>
>>1226873
Or you could donate plasma for money and/or get a part time job
>>
>>1231142
Old fashioned tank water heaters are the norm.

On-demand is actually more 'efficient' in terms of energy used total, but in the case of solar, being able to gradually heat your water whenever you have excess throughout the day is often more advantageous for a solar / wind system.
>>
>>1231026

Y'all need to start looking at how people lived before electricity. Rather than trying to replace the electric company's wire with a huge solar system to run everything.

For example, install a propane tank. Your refrigeration should be propane, on-demand propane hot water heater, with solar hot water boost, the propane only kicks in when the temperature of the incoming water is too low. Your stove should be propane. Insulate well and then use a mastercool 8" media evaporative cooler. Heat is by propane. The only thing you need solar for is light and maybe tv/satelite/internet.
>>
>>1231142

Its actually the other way around, tankless water heaters are a relative novelty in the US, most installations have a 30 to 50 gallon tank percolating 24-7
>>
>>1231356

Why not use both? The on-demand system only kicks in when the incoming solar water is not hot enough

http://neutralexistence.com/hot-hot-hot-connecting-solar-hot-water-to-a-tankless-water-heater/
>>
>>1231275
Hahahahaha

The fuck is anyone going to do with 50 odd bucks? I can make more money doing odd jobs and misc labor even as a homeless washout. That kind of small scale thinking is why you aren't being paid goods and services for sex.
>>
>>1231729
50 odd bucks would be significant to his income. Also where I live you can donate up to twice a week which would be $380/month

If that doesn't cut it get a fucking job n33t
>>
>>1231716
So you replace the power companies wire with large bottles of specialised fuel that requires a complex process and global market to produce and transport?

Man fuck that. Invest in solar.
>>
>>1231746
Obviously you use less of it, Jevons.
>>
>>1231722
That could work, yea. The big issue is the massive sudden power draw on a relatively small system for an on-demand water heater.

If you use an on-demand water heater at all, I'd really recommend you go with a 60 volt battery bank.
>>
>>1227187
trailer homes generally are more tolerated as long as they LOOK GOOD, tiny homes aren't, lots of laws in each area and jurisdiction to get your land and kick you out,
Remember to have grass that you mow regularly, almost every state has rules on hand NOT TO CONSIDER IT YOUR PROPERTY if there is no lawn/Desert/Drought communities are a mostly exception to this.
>>
>>1230287
what part of cali
>>
>>1226881
Insulation, wiring, plumbing,...there's a lot needed that you're overlooking.

You can survive in that, it just won't be that pleasant compared to other ways of life
>>
>>1226889
Don't run e- through it unless wires are secured and not touching you or the metal...
>>
>>1227152
Ever heard of Indiana or trailer parks?

They work
>>
>>1232324
What a stupid idea. Am I not allowed to just have a wild garden?
>>
>>1230963
Up until a worm slides right up your butthole and forms a colony.
>>
File: image.jpg (3KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3KB, 300x57px
Don't listen to naysayers OP it will be better than you think. A small house is a happy house.
>>
>>1226878
it's called a cuck shed.
>>
>>1227621
>You for sure want carpet and padding

Fuck that. It's begging for mold. The ideal floor is one you can clean with a hose. A few yards of concrete isn't typically very expensive. Check local prices. Fiberglass additive takes care of potential cracking in light load situation. I have a ceramic tile floor on my slab foundation and love it. Discount ceramic tile is very common when contractors sell leftovers.

I use rugs in winter which unlike carpet you can drag outdoors in spring, beat out the dust (old school for centuries) or use a shop vac, then wash off and let dry in the sun.

>>1227931
Also study raised and modified septic systems and even portable polyethylene holding tanks.

You only need control your shit. Gray water can be piped to a suitable ditch/depression planted with shrubbery to evaporate the water quickly, My house was set up that way fifty years ago when it was built. Works fine, drains fine, zero issues.

A large holding tank could handle one persons turds for a year.

If it happens to be on wheels and you happen to dig a discreet pit to empty it, problem solved. People forget farm animals shit all over with no ill effects. They also forget the only part which doesn't break down quickly in the open is toilet paper. Nature makes very short work of turds. When I had four dogs they shit more than I possibly could. Not an issue on my acreage.

Study industrial and military remote deployed housing for ideas.

Interior walls may be a waste of space and resources.

A stormproof structure which should fall under your SF requirements and isn't usually considered a building is a 20' standard height shipping container. My bro just got two for 1500 each delivered. (He'd have placed a forty instead but preferred two 20s to store a custom car in each.)

I do most of my cooking outdoors on a gas grill. I have a normal house with gas stove and heat but I don't bother using the stove except in winter.
Thread posts: 131
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.