[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this thing safe to use? I can't find a date but I'd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20170802_125239.jpg (4MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170802_125239.jpg
4MB, 3024x4032px
Is this thing safe to use?

I can't find a date but I'd guess it's ~10 years old and has been sitting in a garage the whole time
A little rusty but I messed with the valve and it seems to work still
What are the chances of it blowing up in my face
>>
>>1220672
The only thing I'd worry about is the valve leaking to much which will cause the fuel to burn out of control. But I don't think it will explode.
>>
>>1220672
In order for it to explode you need air.
Good old triangle of fire, you need fuel heat and oxygen.
If its pressurised (gas inside is more bouncy than the gas outside) then air can't get in can it?
So it can't explode because of the gas, might it explode just from the pressure because of a defect in the tank? Well its possible, but how much pressure really is in there? I don't know sorry but if your happy to handle it like that I'd be happy to use it.

Anyway tanks are consumable, you don't refill them so go get another one if you are not sure and swap the burners over. Get a 'mapp' cylinder anyway its hotter so therefore better. Just don't dispose of it in a bonfire unless you are really cool.
>>
>>1220675
>>1220683
Haha thanks
>>
>>1220672
All mine are older than that. I accumulate them with other stuff I buy at liquidation and estate sales. It could sit for thirty or forty years and maybe the cylinder would leak down but that's it.
>>
>>1220779
>All mine
emm - not to come across as 'that guy' or anything, but, where you storing all these? And why - what is your end game here, Sir?
>>
>>1220672
leave that torch head on there, if you take it off it will probably leak a little from the little schrader style valve in the top of the cylinder.
>>
File: hamster.jpg (18KB, 500x412px) Image search: [Google]
hamster.jpg
18KB, 500x412px
>>1220839
>why
>>
>>1220672
>>1220844

You can test a valve for leaks by spraying it with Great Stuff foam from every angle, and watching to see if any bubbles force their way through the surface. Since propane has a lighter volumetric area than foam, even the tiniest leak will produce a massive bubble.
>>
>>1220672
>Is this thing safe to use?
yeah probably

a new one would cost a whole $3, get a refill adapter and a 20lb tank, and you're set for a long time
>>
>>1220850

Using dish washing liquid reduced to a bubbly water is all you need.
>>
>>1220672
The only thing you might have problems with is the Schroeder valve (the thingy that keeps the gas in when you take the top off). Those tend to leak when old. So just leave the top on.
Other than that. I have torches that are over 10 years old, and camp stoves even older.
>>
>>1220850
Great Stuff foam is also a good substitute for SeaFoam
>>
File: sea foam not see foam.jpg (146KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
sea foam not see foam.jpg
146KB, 640x640px
>>1220871
>SeaFoam
You rang?
>>
>>1220891
>seafoam magically making car run better

Both of them are retards.
>>
File: engines don't bounce.jpg (132KB, 960x643px) Image search: [Google]
engines don't bounce.jpg
132KB, 960x643px
>>1220894
Aktually.
SeaFoam does quite a good job at removing buildup, but you have to be careful. If the engine is too old it can release large chunks that will block the smaller oil passages. It can also strip the gunk that is keeping worn rings and valve seals from leaking. For those it's better to switch to a high detergent oil and change more frequently.
>>
Dont worry about it blowing up anon.
>>
>>1220904
Is it kill?
>>
>>1220672
If you are really worried, you can have them hydrotested for cheap at any place that handles pressurised tanks (scuba equipment stores, for examples), with the added bonus that they can clean the inside, the threads and give you back a leak-proof tank.

It won't explode anyway, maybe it will leak a little on the valve
>>
>>1222509
IIRC those are one-time use tanks. Once you empty them you don't refill them.
>>
>>1220683
It's not a triangle it's a tetrahedron.

The fourth point is free radicals.
>>
>>1222617
Doesn't free radicals emerge from oxigen exposed to heat?
>>
>>1222628
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensed_aerosol_fire_suppression
>>
>>1222609
I mean nothing stops him from putting a different valve on that so he can refill however many times he wants. They have to remove the valve to hydrotest anyway so he might as well go the extra mile if he wants to be safe and intends on using this tank a lot.
>>
>>1222657
Why? A new one costs about $8 and it comes filled. Less if you buy a compatible off brand. Even less if you buy them NOS. I bought 3 NOS tanks and a torch kit for $10 at a yard sale awhile back. All Benzomatic brand.
>>
>>1222664
Well, OP already has the tank and wants to know if it's safe to use, so I assumed he wanted to put that tank to use.

Of course new ones are cheap, but he didn't say if he was on a budget or if he was dead set on using that particular tank for the rest of his life.

I am talking on the assumption that he wants to keep the tank and using it.
>>
It is a disposable tank. If it is still holding the propane and the torch still works then it is fine. Use it until it is empty and turn it in for recycling when you go to buy a new one.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.