[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/rcg/ - RC General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 43

File: tdy_drone_race_160130.jpg (97KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
tdy_drone_race_160130.jpg
97KB, 800x450px
Diatone Tyrant 180 size kwad is becoming too mini for my tastes.
So far I had to ditch the Runcam Eagle camera. Can't get the Diatone mini camera in reasonable time so I ordered a Swift mini. I am sure I will hate CCD, CMOS is so much better now with the wider dynamic range.
I also had to solder off the pins from the receiver (FrSky Delta8) and solder in directly and even in this slim form I struggle to find a place for it.

Warning for everyone, stay with the 210-220 size or bigger for you own piece of mind.

Still the Tyrant feels so solid to cut through a rock and come out with minor scratches.
>>
>>1213127
*Swift Micro
Not the mini, it would still not fit.
>>
>>1213127
I managed to strip the thread in my Runcam Eagle. I am very cautious with these kinds of screws especially in such brittle casings as magnesium and I barely felt it going overboard.
How can I salvage this?
>>
>>1213134
get a U bracket somewhere and hotglue it in. you can adjust the angle and keep it in place while the glue cools down. better than nothing
>>
fuck these. should have bought emax redbottoms
>>
if hobbyking sells you a motor that has an internal fault which causes your expensive ass ESCs to blow up, can you get hobbyking to pay for the ESCs?
>>
>>1213744
I strongly doubt this would happen. Hobbyking are only eligible to reimburse for the stuff they are selling.
In RC shit happens. If you are afraid you can crash you are better not taking off, same goes for frying electronics.
>>
Converted an old Hubsan x4 to FPV. works like a charm. I just attached the leads off of an eachine tx02 clone to the unused power solder points on the mainboard; the image doesn't flicker at all when you give it full throttle. Flight times are down to about 2 min though. AUW is like 41g
>>
I want one that will follow me while I'm skiing but cost less than a DJI 4
>>
>>1214153
a used dji 4
>>
>>1214153
the follow feature isn't robust enough to do that for long distances in the snow because as you descend the mountain, you become smaller, and the phantom has a difficult time identifying you because it's only allowed to move horizontally in follow mode, it's not allowed to descend or ascend.
>>
>>1214153
a friend would be the best option

as in he would do it for you
>>
i bought some helicopter motors on special from hobby king for my multirotor. They have a burst current of 46A which I figured the motor would only ever draw when using large helicopter style propellers. The motors are also rated for 30A continuous.

Because I was only going to use 10" props I bought some ESCs that can do 43A burst current and 34A continuous.

Turns out that the ESCs weren't powerful enough because as soon as I took off one of them blew up and the whole hexcopter caught fire.

I did some testing afterwards with the motor that was connected to the corresponding ESC that blew up. It seems to be drawing a reasonable amount of current (about 8A) when connected to a 6 inch propeller at half throttle. Haven't tested with the larger 10" prop in isolation yet. Could the larger prop really be causing current draw to go above the burst current of 43A?
>>
>>1214249
my rule of thumb with Chinese electronics is to always, always have wiiiiidee margins. That and test your shit before you fly anything

as for your q,... maybe? Afro esc perchance?
>>
>>1214249
yeah probably, but without kv or anything I couldnt tell you. A ten inch blade moves a LOT more air than a 6 inch, because of the increased disk area and the increased tip speed.
>>
>>1214299
actually i couldn't tell you with Kv either, but my intution and some simple math says definitely.

You have almost 3 times the disk area with a 10 inch prop, and the tip is traveling almost 70% faster at a given motor speed.

Tha means you're doing a lot more work.
>>
>>1214252
nah, cicada 4 in 1, dshot.
>>
do you think this 8khz ESC would be shit to use on a modern high speed flight controller (200Mhz) due to needing use a lower loop and gyro frequency?
i think mechanical vibrations cause aliasing in the sampling from the intertial measurement unit if you aren't running a high loop speed on faster flight controllers.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-ss-series-50-60a-esc-opto-only.html
>>
i only drive anything if it's ridiculously fast. e.g. i have a turbo FD rx7, and I only play f-zero X. But I don't want a tiny af drone. I want it to be a reasonable size. What is the best prop/motor combo for me?
>>
>>1215028
Take into account that bigger props means less agility. You can easily build a giant drone that breaks 100mph like a 5" does, but it will never corner as well. There's good reason nobody races/freestyles with anything larger than 6".
>>
>>1215028
>I don't want a tiny af drone
a bigger drone is more prone to damage and more expensive to repair
>>
>>1215028
Sounds like you have an overly small penis
>>
File: IMG_20170725_015317_DRO.jpg (2MB, 3456x2120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170725_015317_DRO.jpg
2MB, 3456x2120px
if someone cares. these pull 0.6 amps with 2s power with DVR recording and diversity ON
>>
>>1215028
just get a 5 inch, they got the most options for building.
the biggest selection for frames
the biggest selection for props
the biggest selection for motors
>>
File: chrome_2017-07-25_03-37-58.png (172KB, 601x370px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-07-25_03-37-58.png
172KB, 601x370px
>>1215028
LDPower FR2305 3000kv with these
>>
if any of you are ausfags then you should buy one of these to measure current draw on your motors. I just got one yesterday and it works well. also very cheap.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/heavy-duty-current-shunt-6-50a/p/QP5412
>>
im getting telemetry lost at around 40 or 45 RSSI,
is this normal?
>>
File: 1487413145584.jpg (172KB, 983x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1487413145584.jpg
172KB, 983x1024px
>cave in and buy 50dollar piece of plastic bluetooth module for traxxas controller
>spend 20min connecting
>get it connected
>forced update
>finally done
>adjust the settings i wanted
>start the car
>it runs away on its own
>thanks to quick thinking I know what it is and I stop it before it wrecks anything
>apparently firmware update reset the 70/30 throttle back to 50/50
>reprogram it back to 70/30
>works
>test settings and they work
>redo settings
>start car back up
>won't respond to transmitter
>default settings
>still doesn't work

Probably caught around 35 mosquito bites during that whole thing.

Not pleased.
>>
File: IMG_20170725_224703.jpg (277KB, 1203x902px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170725_224703.jpg
277KB, 1203x902px
So apparently the motors I bought for this thing weren't cheap because they're an obsolete model (which was my assumption), they were in fact cheap because they're a not-very-good revision with poor QC. Would've been nice if the store had given me any indication of that when I bought them.

They're sending me a replacement for the one with an obviously janky bearing & I hope that is all that's causing it to not fly as smooth as I would like, otherwise I'm going to end up writing off £40 of motors & buying something better :/
>>
>>1215478
Yes, we know the Aomway goggles are the new "it"
There will be another one next, maybe Fatshark will be back with a cheaper and better one.
>>
>>1216235
Multistar elites work well for me. Not as strong as the expensive ones, but cheap enough to be able to buy spares. And the performance is great.
>>
I wish I had waited a year to get into this hobby, the tech is just crazy now, and cheap.
>>
>>1216676
I avoid HobbyKing like the plague whenever possible, their support is an insult.
>>
>>1216913
while this is true i think their batteries and silicone wire are fairly decent for the price. i haven't had any wire melt in my rc 'career'. if you need 12AWG go with 10 for safety etc. kinda obvious but not surprised when people dont give headroom and cry about hobbyking being shit.
>>
>>1216924
Larger LiPos (eg 4000mAh 6S rather than miniquad packs) are literally the only thing I will consider using them for now, as there simply isn't another option for reasonably priced larger packs in the UK.
>>
File: 1500710740845.jpg (30KB, 499x498px) Image search: [Google]
1500710740845.jpg
30KB, 499x498px
Id like to make money using drones.
I'm waiting till I can take online courses for UAS online courses etc.
For a year I'd like to dedicate my time and effort into learning how to make professional videos and how to build drones. Can anyone suggest ideas on what jobs there are for the drone industry? What else I should learn? Can I work for border patrol and help spot Mexicans with the aid of an infrared camera mounted drone?
>>
>>1216951
A. Make videos
B. Get people watching
C. Affiliate marketing, Amazon links, Banggood links

For example, make a video how to build a drone and link all parts with your own account so you get paid when they order stuff.

Patreon if you get big enough.
>>
>>1216951
I did licensed/commercial drone filming as part of my previous job & it's a remarkably dull occupation. For every exciting drone AP job that you might imagine (eg filming a high octane car chase for a Hollywood blockbuster) there are thousands of incredibly boring jobs (roof inspections, agricultural surveys, real estate, etc.). Patrolling a border with a drone equipped with an IR camera sounds particularly boring.
>>
>>1216954
I feel like in the meere future everyone's gonna be doing that
>>1216968
For you maybe. What do you do now anon?
>>
>>1217332
>For you maybe.

It stated off novel & fun, but it became a chore really quickly.

>What do you do now anon?

Working for a software startup, with the potential for more interesting research-based drone projects in the future.
>>
>>1217370
Cool story my guy. How does one get into that line of field?
>>
>>1217464
Tech startups? Do a STEM degree or two, keep an up-to-date LinkedIn page, have at least a few token projects on Github.
>>
So if I'm a peasant that has only bought hobbyking batteries what are the alternatives?
banggood has
>ZOP power
>XF power
>Charsoon
gearbest has
>DLG
>ZOP
>Kudian
>FLOUREON
>>
>>1217610
Some of HobbyKing's battery lines are actually very good - Graphenes are solid for flight packs, the big Multistars are good for field packs.

The offerings from banggood/gearbest aren't any better for the same prices & the only ones I've heard anything good about are the Infinity brand - but they're no cheaper than Graphenes, so why buy Infinity from China when you can Graphenes from a local warehouse?

If you want better packs, then you need to spend more money & not buy from either HobbyKing or banggood/gearbest. Tattu, Acehe, CNHL, etc.
>>
>>1217610
Over the years I used Zippy, Rhino, blue Turnigy, Nano-tech.
I quite like the blue and nanotech Turnigys and I heard good things about the green multistars, seems like the new blue batteries in performance and price.
The local group mostly (99%) uses blue and nanotech Turnigys, I even did F5J competitions with nanotech.
>>
>>1217612
>>1217623
Thanks, I guess I'll stick to hobbyking. Just have to find a courier willing to ship to africa.
>>
Drone "pilots" are all beta faggots
>>
>>1217725
Good thing we fly planes and multicopters.
>>
>>1217811
you're still a neckbearded faggot, faggot
>>
>>1218157
>he can't even grow a beard
>>
File: IMG_20170729_123124.jpg (218KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170729_123124.jpg
218KB, 675x900px
Played around with a 360 camera today - super windy though :( Think I should be able to get some fun footage when the quad isn't constantly getting slammed around by the wind though, plus I'm getting a better mounting solution with some actual vibration dampers soon.
>>
>>1218368
>not a Ricoh Theta
Enjoy your massive merging artifacts
>>
>>1218428
This Xiaomi is actually seriously impressive when it comes to stitching & I'm saying that as somebody who has used the Theta, the Theta S, the Samsung Gear 360, a 6x GoPro Hero 4 Black/Freedom 360/Kolor Autopano setup & who spent 2 years as a professional 360 stills photographer shooting 100 megapixel to 1.15 gigapixel 360 images via DSLR.

Take a look at the sample footage & discussion on the 360 Rumors channel on YouTube if you're interested, it's a surprisingly decent piece of kit & the first point-&-shoot 360 camera I decided was good enough to buy for myself (the rest I used at work).
>>
File: IMG_20170730_051537.jpg (829KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170730_051537.jpg
829KB, 1200x1600px
>>1217612
>only fly acehe packs
feels good man
>>
i have only CCW props left and i still have to wait 5 days for my new props to arrive.

can i just reverse the motors where CW props would go and put CCW props on them?
>>
>>1218649
No. The purpose of counter-rotating props is to cancel out the torque generated by the motors. 4 motors spinning the same direction and you'll just spin uncontrollably.
>>
>>1218649
Sure, why not? Don't forget to take it on video and report back how it worked.
>>
File: Powerlep (1).webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Powerlep (1).webm
1MB, 640x360px
/rcg/ can you powerloop?
>>
is there any benefit to fly a pure H quad rather than a X quad or a mix of H and X like the alien
>>
>>1218905
Pure X is meant to be easier to tune, but these days any shape flies well with betaflight.
>>
>>1218905
H and X are the same with more room on the H configuration.
>>
anyone who does touring cars here?
>>
>>1219233
Cars are boring
>>
Which DHL shipping option should I use on Gearbest if I'm going to ship a $300 order to the US? HK, EU, EXT, or just plain DHL?
>>
>>1219466
The one that isn't DHL
>>
Need some help guys. One of the motors broke on my JJRC H22 quadcopter, I ordered some spares and started to fix it. The problem is the original motors were as such:
2 with blue and red wire
2 with black and white wire

The replacement set:
2 with blue and red wire
2 with RED and white wire

The motor that was broken was black and white (black on negative, white on positive), I replaced it with a red and white wired motor and soldered red on negative and white on positive. Now it is working but the propeller is spinning the wrong way! Did I solder the wires wrong or did I use the wrong motor altogether? No markings for CW/CCW on the motor...
>>
>>1219475
Is it enough just to switch positive and negative to make it spin the other way?
>>
>>1219475
>>1219481
Those are brushed motors, so they are designed to run in one particular direction. If you connect them the 'wrong' way round they will still work, but their lifespan will be severely reduced.

I would guess that red is meant to be positive for all of them though.
>>
>>1219519
So just swap the red to positive and white to negative should be enough to fix it? Is there any rule of thumb for any of this stuff?
>>
Just bought my first drone last week, a cheap $60 FPV one.
Since I don't want to jump to the >$1000 professional-quality drones right away, are there any commonly-suggested go-to FPV drones in the range of a few hundred dollars?
>>
>>1219583
build your own, its cheaper
>>
>>1219585
I've asked about that in these threads before and was told that it's not usually significantly cheaper, and is mostly done for the hobby aspect.
Regardless, I also have no experience building drones. Do you know of any good guides?
>>
>>1219589
Chinese kits will cost about $200 with a decent transmitter, it's probably a good place to start. Kits usually contain the frame, motors and maybe ESCs, sometimes a transmitter too, and you only need to supply the FPV stuff and battery. You can find a lot of them on banggood, but the best prices are on aliexpress (though they're more likely to chink you). Always buy the batteries from banggood or other relatively reputable sites, eBay and Aliexpress will fuck you over on that.
>>
>>1219561
Swapping the wires will make the motor spin in the direction that you want, but if that isn't the direction that it is supposed to spin it will fail much faster. I would tend to lean toward red always being +ve when combined with any other colour, but see if you can find confirmation from the store you bought it from, threads on rc groups/reddit/whatever.

>>1219583
>>1219585
>>1219589
>>1219838
Building your own DJI style GPS-controller camera platform is never cheaper/better, but building your own FPV racing/freestyle build can be *marginally* cheaper. Not much though - take a look at parts on banggood & compare them against the Eachine Wizard that they sell fully built for $143.
>>
Question about batteries for first build that's a mini.

I bought a Racerstar mini RS12Ax4 12A 4 in 1 ESC and Racerstar BR1103B 10,000KV 1-3s motors.

What 3s battery pack would be ideal to use with this setup?
>>
File: IMG_20170801_170851.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170801_170851.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
I just smoked a motor when i armed the quad and when i investigated one of the motor leads was popped off.

So question is, is it the ESCs fault or is the fault of that wire that was ripped off of the motor

Pic related, esc in question, one of the mosfets is a bit damaged but it came from the current that killed the motor
>>
>>1219991
What would have happened is that the esc got so hot that the wire desoldered itself.
>>
>>1220115
The FETs would have desoldered long before the output wires did, unless anon did a really shitty job when soldering the wires on.
>>
>>1215028
>rx7
>>
>>1218688
wtf is this garbage?
north korean test missle footage?
>>
>>1220132
the actual copper pad on which you solder the thing got ripped off the PDB
>>
>>1219991
Seems like a bad soldering job, shorted one of the FETs and the heat desoldered one of the pads.
Did you use leaded solder or one of those shitty new unleaded turds?
>>
>>1220334
Never seen DVR footage before?
>>
File: chrome_2017-08-02_12-40-06.png (674KB, 955x715px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-08-02_12-40-06.png
674KB, 955x715px
i want this frame
>>
>>1220448
I'm still surprised at how little formed carbon fiber we see. it's more expensive than just milling plate, but there's a lot of advantages. You could have a bend in the arms instead of just angling the motor mounts.
>>
>>1220460
Considering almost nobody runs angled motor mounts, I'm not surprised we don't see expensive frames with bent arms.
>>
>>1220486
angled motor mounts are inherently better because of aerodynamics
>>
>>1220487
Irrelevant; nobody uses them regardless, even the people going for world speed records and in really competitive racing scenes.
>>
>>1220490
nobody uses them because the options they have are
1. buy/make crappy 3d printed motor mounts
2. buy a quite expensive frame that has to be molded

the speed record quad frame was a design that was the most aerodynamic at 90 degree angle so angled mounts are irrelevant

frames like Alien, QAV-R, Chameleon would benefit from angled motors, maybe not significantly but at-least noticeably
>>
>>1220507
You can buy CNC milled aluminium angled mounts (Tarot make them, among others). The benefits are simply too small to make it worth paying $10 for them and spending 5 minutes installing them.

I'm not at all surprised that we don't see more formed carbon fibre. Nobody will buy it.
>>
>>1220517
Yeah but buying aluminum mounts add way more weight than just forming the carbon so the holes would be tilted.

Most of the frames in circulation come from small startup companies who dont have the capita to invest into a custom mold and machines to go with them. Im sure impulse rc or xhover will explore this territory of frame making soon because of the profound benefits and maybe we will get bent arms with that
>>
>>1220527
>aluminum mounts add way more weight
>profound benefits

If it really made any discernible difference I think people would be happy with the 13g of extra weight.
>>
I'm not sure what's wrong with my rc car.

it sounds a bit bad compared to before and it stops much faster. It's like something is grinding. No rattling sound anywhere though.
The gears are fine, gearhouse too, slipper clutch. The only thing it could be is the motor, brushless.

How could it be damaged?
>>
Cheapest chinkshit drone parts?
Even hobbyking seems expensive
>>
>>1220621
Could be that the motor bell has shifted or bent causing one of the stators to contact the magnet. Also broken bearings dont always rattle when broken
>>
>>1220628
It's an significant amount it stops to a halt, so it
s not a bearing.

I got no warranty on the engine, so I wouldn't be afraid to open the engine up if it's not easy to mess it up.

The shaft runs smoothly and straight.

I'm really confused.
>>
>>1220622
Aliexpress kits
>>
>>1220622
Banggood are the kings of cheap drone parts, nowhere else even comes close.
>>
>>1220416
>DVR footage
in HD
>>
Is installing hall sensor gimbals in the X9D really an immediate must-do?
>>
>>1220827
after like 6 months to a year of use its a must
>>
>>1220676
Wat.
>>
>>1220827
If you can get a couple Aurora 9 gimbals I can highly recommend it.
>>
>>1221171
Now that the hall sensor gimbals from frsky are out, there is literally zero point using the Aurora 9.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKyKms9GEpc

what do? i sent this video to emax too and im waiting for a response
>>
>>1214153
A helium balloon, a nice mount for a camera, and a length of string.
>>
>>1221253
If you think it's DOA you should be contacting the store, not emax or 4chan.
>>
Is €90 eurobongs a good deal for a Teleporter v4 with a vtx?
>>
>>1222021
Teleporters are pretty much the only FatShark goggles that you should _never_ buy. They have 320x240 displays (even the v4) which is absolute garbage. If you want the FatShark form factor for cheap, instead of big box goggles, look for some older secondhand Attitudes.
>>
>>1222025
Don't really jave much budget for it and my diy v2 pro big box goggles is mostly just frustration. Plus the attitudes I was looking at were selling at almost the new retail price.
The lower resolution I can live with, the big box goggles issues I cannot. And I saw some nice mods with the fan faceplate, diversity mod etc...
>>
>>1222034
At least buy them from somewhere with a good return policy. Because the first time you put them on you're going to realise how badly the low resolution ruins the experience. It's literally five times less than your current Quanums and barely a quarter of the resolution of a standard 600TVL HS1177 camera.
>>
>>1222506
Why are you upset about? Later on when I have the money I'll get an Attitude or an Aomway goggle and I'll probably make a ground station screen from the quanum goggles.
It's also a used one so no returns but at least I get a nice 250mw vtx which will go on my easy star right away.
>>
>>1222522
>Why are you upset about?

I'm not upset about anything, I'm just trying to make sure you don't waste money by buying a new pair of goggles that you end up not liking because they're so bad.

You came here to ask whether 90 eurobucks was a good deal, I'm telling you it's not, but you seem to have made your mind up before you came here anyway, so I'm not sure why you bothered?

>at least I get a nice 250mw vtx

If it's the same old 250mW fatshark vtx that came with my goggles, it's rather big and won't fit in most 210 size frames and smaller, so take that into account.
>>
>>1222529
Read my post again, kiddo. The 250mW goes into my easy star, the 180 quad has a Tramp vtx.
>>
>>1222633
You have the money to buy Tramps, but not a decent set of goggles? Sort your priorities m8.
>>
>>1222694
A tramp is $24 on hobbyking.
>>
>>1222698
Lolwat.
>>
>>1222702
Looks like you missed the sale ;)
>>
>>1222731
I call bullshit, never seen a tramp in any sale let alone for $24.
>>
>>1222755
I got mine for $24. But still I don't see how a $40 vtx is related to or has higher priority than a $300 plus pair of goggles.
To me there are much higher priorities than that, one of them is my family and my own summer resort.
When you grow up you will realize the same, kid.
>>
>>1222954
>To me there are much higher priorities than that, one of them is my family

Because obviously he wasn't talking about priorities when it comes to RC gear. It's all gone a bit Yahoo Answers in here, huh?
>>
>>1222965
Except when you grow up you don't live off of allowance. In real life every penny counts.
Unless you are a mama-hotel resident manchild.
>>
>>1222966
Fuck me sideways, that projection. Take your own advice and grow the fuck up m8.
>>
File: IMG_20170806_113200.jpg (422KB, 1203x902px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170806_113200.jpg
422KB, 1203x902px
Still got mid-throttle oscillations on my latest build, beginning to think that these motors are as bad as I was told :(
>>
>>1222968
Well, fuck you kiddo, I just asked if a good condition teleporter v4 for €90 was a good deal and you replied with pointless elitism.
>>
we wacky racers now
>>
>>1223084
>real time 3D
N-nice. Specs?
>>
>>1223077
You asked if it was a good deal, but you obviously already had your mind set on them, so you threw a hissy fit when somebody didn't give you the 'yes' answer you wanted. Next time don't bother asking for advice if you're not actually interested in listening and will only respond with pathetic personal attacks.
>>
>>1223087
https://www.banggood.com/Realacc-Horns-100-Micro-3D-FPV-Racing-Drone-BNF-Dual-600TVL-Cameras-5_8G-25MW-48CH-VTX-F3-OSD-p-1151159.html
and here's the 3d fpv goggles
https://www.banggood.com/Skyzone-SKY02S-V-3D-5_8G-40CH-FPV-Goggles-With-Head-Tracking-HDMI-DVR-Playback-p-1072921.html
>>
>>1223057
Soft mount your FC and motors.
>>
>>1223106
FC is soft mounted & I've never had to soft mount motors even when running the notoriously noisy MPU6500. If a brand new set of motors with a soft mounted FC can't fly smooth that points to something not being fit for purpose IMO?
>>
>>1223110
Have you tried balancing your motors? There is an app for measuring vibrations.
>>
>>1223158
Motors should come sufficiently balanced from the factory.
>>
>>1223180
>"should"
>>
>>1223180
lol
>>
>>1223181
>>1223185
Even the $8 Racerstar motors from banggood come balanced well enough that you don't need any soft mounting or manual balancing anywhere in your build. What sort of antique crap are you buying that comes so unbalanced you have to do it yourself?
>>
>>1223193
Just give up, this hobby is not for you.
>>
>>1223158
>>1223180
>>1223181
>>1223185
>>1223193
>>1223197
It's oddly entertaining watching old-timers who have failed to keep up with the hobby interact with newbies who take the advances of the last few years for granted.
>>
is it possible to get long flight times with a small quad? I'm able to get up to 9 minutes on ecalc with 1103 motors and 3020 props. interestingly it calculates even longer flight time with theoretical 4010 props. which I don't believe exist.

also ecalc refuses to calculate for commonly used small props with high pitch values (2035 etc), saying it is going to stall.
>>
Is this the place to ask about consumer/normie prebuilt drones, despite being on /diy/? /g/ doesn't seem to have an RC/drone thread.
>>
>>1223453
/g/ sometimes has drone threads but whatever your question is it probably will fit in here
>>
I just got a Phantom 3 Standard, and have flown it around a bit in my yard.
The live video feed to my phone seems to not be that great, though. I frequently experience stuttering/framerate drop. But in all the review videos I've seen, the live feed seems to be smooth.

Is this kind of thing normal when flying in residential areas, from WiFi interference? Or could there be a problem with my drone/phone/controller?
The previous owner of the drone even modded the controller with a big panel antenna for the WiFi, so I'm surprised it's still having issues.
>>
>>1223479
could be 2.4ghz saturation in your neighborhood, could be reflected signal interference from nearby walls. try it somewhere away from buildings, trees, and powerlines. if it still has signal issues then it's a problem.
>>
>>1223397
Prop stall is different. It means the prop spins without generating more lift than in not-stalled state but it also has huge drag as well. Basically it spins in turbulence. Not just diameter and pitch is important but the geometry and airfoil as well. Noisy props usually spin stalled and battery killer setups like the eachine wizard are having stalled props. Good quality props are a must in this hobby.
>>
Why in the shit does Banggood want me send them money to replace a faulty TX03 and send in a copy of the order record when they have it on file. If I bought it from Amazon the thing would be replaced no questions asked and shipped 3x faster.

They didn't do this with 2 other orders that came in fucked on arrival.
>>
>>1223479
>The previous owner of the drone even modded the controller with a big panel antenna for the WiFi

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the previous owner bodged the mod & that is why you're experiencing issues.

Take a look through the settings for the DJI Go app, iirc it has a screen that shows you what wireless channels it is using, details on signal strength, etc.

>>1223397
Bigger props are always going to be more efficient than smaller props, so unfortunately a 3" or 4" setup on 1103 is never going to fly as long as 6" props on 22xx size motors.
>>
>>1223583
>iirc it has a screen that shows you what wireless channels it is using, details on signal strength, etc.
I've looked for that and I couldn't find it, I believe it may only be for Lightbridge-enabled models.
I'll try testing it out in an open area and if it still doesn't work, maybe look into getting a replacement controller.
>>
>>1223583
In case it does turn out to be a controller problem, in what way could the mod have been messed up that would impact the transfer quality, do you think? Like, an improperly done solder or something? What would I look for when I open up the controller?
>>
>>1223479
You are pointing the 'panel' toward the drone, right? That sounds like a patch antenna, which have a narrow reception pattern.
>>
>>1223612
It's a square panel on the end of a stick. I've got the face of the panel pointing toward the drone.
I tried facing both sides, just in case I had the wrong one. There didn't seem to be any change.

Does WiFi require a certain shape of antenna? I've got a couple short stick-shaped antennae, I could try swapping out the patch for one of those.
>>
>>1223612
Oh, also it's actually labeled "Panel Wi-Fi Antenna" on one side.
>>
>>1223616
>Does WiFi require a certain shape of antenna?

There are many different shapes/designs that can be used for WiFi (for any radio signal, in fact). Each design has different characteristics in terms of coverage pattern, range, etc.

If you want to test with alternative antennas in case there is something wrong with the one fitted atm, you will have to check that your alternatives are for 2.4GHZ & 5.8GHz use, because iirc the Phantom 3 uses both bands. Just because an antenna fits the connection doesn't mean it will be compatible - for example a 433MHz dipole antenna looks identical to a 2.4GHz dipole antenna, but will be garbage at picking up 2.4GHz.
>>
I (>>1223057) ended up ordering some silicone motor soft mounts, we'll see if they make any difference when they arrive later this week.
>>
Installed a 270degree fisheye lens on my yi 4k+.

Going to record some this week.
>>
File: 1501208578618.gif (52KB, 600x402px) Image search: [Google]
1501208578618.gif
52KB, 600x402px
>First time poster
>First time browser

Since I got to start somewhere I thought I'd ask here.
How does one learn how to RC?
>>
>>1223818
I assume you mean quadcopters? If you have never flown before you will want a nice cheap toy quad ($15-20) to practice with.

This guy knows a whole lot about RC and I learned a lot from these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jbpwqCCVbs
>>
>>1223825
I meant RC in general.
>>
>>1215546
is there a battery invented that would actually handle the amp draw?
>>
File: 20170711_111508.jpg (379KB, 2192x825px) Image search: [Google]
20170711_111508.jpg
379KB, 2192x825px
What should I build for my first 5"? I've been thinking of doing the rotor riot alien setup.
>>
>>1224049
Graphene high C rated batteries. Not necessarily chinese ones, be rady to go deep in your pocket.
>>
>>1224055
The latest iteration of the Martian frame, plenty of room is what's needed for a first build
>>
Given the problem of more flight time = more power = more batteries = more weight = more power required, is there a known maximum flight time for a custom build using current tech?
>>
>>1224111
More flight time is essentially lighter setup and more efficient power train.
Slapping on more batteries is an amateur mistake and will only increase dead weight and shorten the flight time more.
>>
>>1224107
You would need parallel'd 95C RLines & even then you'd just kill the motors.

>>1224111
30 minutes is considered very good for a multirotor & 45 minutes is essentially the absolute limit - look for threads on RC Groups of people experimenting with endurance builds usually based around 650 frames with extended arms to spin 17" props on ~12000mAh of 6S.

On the other hand, 20-30 minutes is considered 'normal' for fixed wing.
>>
>>1224144
My RTF Venture kwad goes 8 minutes on an old 45C blue Turnigy 2200 and I can only charge back 1200 mAh
>>
>traxxas xo1 with broken esc
>2x 5000mAh 3S batteries
>transmitter, charger, whole shabang
>200usd
>we agree on him shipping it over
>2hours later he has sold it to someone else
>>
>>1224178
...so?
>>
>>1224186
How does it feel to be a sociopath?
>>
>>1224199
I'm just confused what point you were trying to make - you responded to a post about long flight time multirotors with the contribution that your 430 size quad can get 8 minutes from 1200mAh of a 2200 pack? Is that supposed to be impressive or something?
>>
>buy panel antenna
>hmm I'm not really noticing a difference
>fly quad til video signal is fuzzy
>point antenna up
>point antenna down
>point antenna backwards
>there is no difference
what gives
>>
>>1224241
>not being able to google rf basics
This hobby is not for spoonfeeders
>>
can I ask non-diy questions here? I don't know which board I could ask rc questions other than here

>bought blade 450 3d and dx6i controller from thrift store
>want to sell it for profit (I don't wanna even attempt to fly it and break it)
>no clue what it's worth
what's the best way to find out the value? should i just use ebay?
>>
>>1224249
it's supposed to be a 16dbi directional antenna there isn't anything magical about it, it should receive signal better in one direction than others and it doesn't, and it's the second one I've bought that does no better than a mushroom. anyone here have a 5.8g RHCP directional antenna that they know works?
>>
where do I start troubleshooting if my quad dips back and to the right under heavy throttle? I thought I had it solved when I found a wire that came off the ESC, but it still does it. It's not as bad as before I reattached the wire, and it is worse when the battery is getting low.
>>
>>1224304
high resistance in that motor/esc. during hover the flight controller will keep it level by putting more power to that motor, but when there isn't any more power to give (full throttle/low battery) it will lag behind the other motors. try swapping the motor with another corner, if the problem follows the motor then you have some winding damage, get a new motor. if the problem stays with the esc then get a new esc.
>>
Why is the nut rotation on Emax RS2205s completely backwards compared to other motors or is it just a labeling mistake on the motors? Should I just swap the CW / CCW positions and reverse them?
>>
>>1224323
if the label says one way but the nut screws on the other way then the label is wrong. there is no difference internally on brushless motors, just the nut thread determines the motor direction.
>>
>>1224323
Those motors are available with both regular & reverse threads. It makes no difference if you're using nyloc nuts on top (which you should be) so don't worry about it.
>>
>>1224294
>have switchable 25-200mw transmitter
>3 different antennas
>try each combination
>no discernible difference
>try no antenna at all
>everything looks the same.jpg
I'm convinced that RF is a lie
>>
>>1224314
Thanks, I may double check my connections first.
>>
File: clip [webm].webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
clip [webm].webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>1224357
Tbh the discernible difference when flying outdoors at moderate ranges is negligible. It's when you start flying long range, or in environments that are particularly bad/challenging for RF that power & antennas make an actual difference. Picrelated is what happens when you fly 200mW with CPLs in a metal warehouse. Really wished I had 25mW & linear antennas for that.
>>
Why is my smoke light lit up like a Christmas tree when the ESCs are wrapped, and fine when there's nothing covering it? The soldering looks fine and the wiring has no melts and burns.
>>
>>1224609
Are you insulating the ESCs from the arms? Carbon fibre conducts.
>>
do any of you have a drone that is heavier than mine? mine is 10kg
>>
>>1225670
it's mostly racing/acro here so I doubt it
>>
File: IMG_20170811_114458.jpg (152KB, 685x913px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170811_114458.jpg
152KB, 685x913px
Third attempt at mounting the Xiaomi 360 camera to my 650 - the second attempt was much better than the first attempt & hopefully this version will be even better :) New motors coming tomorrow as well, so I can switch to APC props & do away with quick release adapters.
>>
is it possibly to limit the maximum speed of my motors so they dont fry my ESCs? I think if i go full throttle i'll exceed the ESCs max current draw.

I tested with less than 3 quarter throttle and its already drawing 30 amps. my esc's (((claimed))) maximum current draw is 40amps. at this amount of throttle it seems like the props are entering a turbulent mode of operation judging by the sound they make so i wouldn't want to go any higher anyway.
>>
>>1226086
most flight controllers can set the operating limits of the motors, download the relevant software (usually a google chrome plugin now) and plug that shit into usb
>>
>>1224615
For some reason it wasn't shorting anymore after I wrapped the ESC and arm in electrical tape instead of shrink wrapping them then electrical taping. I already did have double sided tape between the arm and ESCs though.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (39KB, 678x304px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
39KB, 678x304px
>>1226086
>is it possibly to limit the maximum speed of my motors so they dont fry my ESCs? I think if i go full throttle i'll exceed the ESCs max current draw

It absolutely is, see pic

>I tested with less than 3 quarter throttle and its already drawing 30 amps. my esc's (((claimed))) maximum current draw is 40amps. at this amount of throttle it seems like the props are entering a turbulent mode of operation judging by the sound they make so i wouldn't want to go any higher anyway.

I don't think this has anything to do with current and your ESCs. I think your props are deflecting, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS6gi1WY4C8
>>
>>1226164
>I don't think this has anything to do with current and your ESCs. I think your props are deflecting

yeah i guess that's what's happening
>>
File: 22.jpg (2MB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
2MB, 2016x1512px
i hope my drone fits on my truck
>>
File: IMG-20170813-WA0005.jpg (309KB, 909x908px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170813-WA0005.jpg
309KB, 909x908px
This is 'summer' in Scotland :/
>>
File: 360_drone_boiks.jpg (513KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
360_drone_boiks.jpg
513KB, 1920x1080px
This shouldn't be so entertaining.
>>
>>1227539
THE WORLD IS ROUND?

MY REALITY IS SHATTERED

Can you do those full 360degree view videos on youtube where you click-and-drag to look around?
>>
I want to /diy/ a small camera drone capable of taking photo and video with roughly the same quality as my S7, with the ability to view the camera, and with around 15-20 minutes of flight time.

What do I need to buy to make this happen?
I can't imagine that i'll need it to carry any significant camera mass because of how small the camera on my phone is
>>
>>1227558
That's exactly what I was doing! It's definitely not the ideal quad for the job & I haven't done any post-processing stabilization on it, but here's a quick example;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sccGK9PbOG0

It's a pity YouTube uses such low bitrate for 4k/360 uploads, the original looks a helluva lot sharper/more detailed.
>>
>>1227570

how do they fly so close together? do they communicate directly?

actually in some footage it looks like the two drones are attached, but wouldn't that confuse the stabilizing algo?
>>
>>1227570
Yeah that's awesome.

I didn't notice the shakyness. Postprocess stabilization won't work for 360 view anyway I think, since it crops in and counters the movement.
>>
>>1227572
I'm not sure what you mean, there is only one drone? See >>1225753
>>
>>1227573
You can't use regular video stabilization (eg Warp Stabilizer in Premiere/After Effects), but you can use the Mettle SkyBox Studio suite for AE (which is now free to all CC subscribers). Instead of cropping off the edges of the frame, it uses an AE 3D tracker then rotates the whole projection to compensate against movement/shakes. I've gotten it to work nicely on a few clips, but the 3D tracker just doesn't like movement so most of them need a much more involved process of converting to a cubemap & running a regular flat tracker.
>>
>>1227564
Honestly it sounds like you want a Spark, unless you're doing this mainly for the enjoyment of the build process and aren't too concerned with the final cost/performance. Actually being able to control a camera on a drone (eg switch between photos and videos etc. rather than pressing record before you take off and pressing stop once you've landed) adds a whole lot of complexity to the equation that just isn't worth the hassle.
>>
>>1227599
i dont want to spend nearly that much on this drone
>>
taking a name so i dont need to reference past posts all the time

would a helicopter w/ a gimbal suit my purposes?
>>
>>1227764
Well what's your budget? $400 buys you a refurbished Phantom 3 and you're not going to DIY anything that shoots usable aerial video for less than that.
>>
>>1227782
why not? can't i just get cheapo shit flight controllers off banggood and get something kinda useable?
>>
>>1227785
Once you've taken into account the things you need in addition to the drone itself (radio, batteries, charger, etc.) the remainder of a $400 budget will build you a mediocre flamewheel clone with a shitty chinabrand action camera. It will fly for maybe 12 minutes and you'll have no control over the camera except to press record before you take off.

That same $400 will instead buy you a refurb Phantom 3, which will fly for 20 minutes, shoot great video with a 720p digital downlink and give you huge amounts of remote control over the camera.

DIY photo/video platforms simply don't make sense from a price/performance perspective. This comes up in pretty much every thread.
>>
>>1227778
No. A conventional heli is vibration out the ass.
>>
>>1227795
could this not be sorted out with a gimbal and damping?

>>1227793
i can't use shitty cheap chinese parts?
>>
>>1227796
>i can't use shitty cheap chinese parts?

That *is* using shitty cheap chinese parts.
>>
Anyone know of any good 400W 11 volt motors for multirotors?
>>
>>1227823
Err... Are you looking for a 22xx size motor? A 41xx size motor? Are you building a freestyle miniquad, an AP hex, etc.?
>>
>>1227827
Basically as high kv as possible while keeping it 12V and as close to 30A as possible.
>>
>>1227898
So you're spinning a really small prop? 2"?
>>
Are those DYS 1104 7000kv motors safe to use with a 850mah 3s, and 2035 Gemfans or will they put on a smoke trail show?
>>
>>1228568
Try it out and report back
>>
i have increased in experience level so im now upgrading from hobbyking/turnigy to banggood/sunnysky.
>>
>>1228644
Same kind of shit
>>
>>1228745
Banggood have better customer service though -
I've never had to resort to paypal disputes to get my money back for DOAs from banggood, unlike hobbyking.
>>
My mirco sciscky broke. Recommend me a small fc. Thanks!
>>
File: 1436102633590.jpg (70KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1436102633590.jpg
70KB, 400x388px
>>1213127
>tfw I will be working for IT department of a grocery store in a couple of months
>downside is that I will be on call, but usually I hear the hours are the 8-5 pm.
>still skeptical on the hourse
>will be able to afford buying/building drones
>probably wont be able to have time to, with the new job

I have mixed feelings.
>>
>>1229215
I recently started a new job, went from 3 day weekends to 2 day weekends and from living within walking distance of a bunch of flying spots to living in the middle of a city. It's a better job and I earn more money, but it's seriously fucked my flying opportunities.
>>
File: 5970e1c18d489.jpg (127KB, 650x500px) Image search: [Google]
5970e1c18d489.jpg
127KB, 650x500px
This looks like a really nice build.
>>
>>1229229
What is it? Looks like an Eachine almost-clone of the Blade Torrent?
>>
>>1229215
Yup. Summer hours are almost double at my job. Mix that with a raise and I can collect parts for a build. No time to build. By the time I can fly it will be winter. This industry moves so fast everything I got this summer will probably be obsolete by next summer. Should have got an rtf kit but I gotta be mr. DIY. Journey is destination thing.
I tried for a new hobby, at least im getting an education... on my mistakes. Lol
>>
>>1229241
https://www.banggood.com/GOFLY-RC-Falcon-CP90-95mm-Mini-FPV-Racing-Drone-w-Omnibus-F3-OSD-5_8G-25MW-48CH-VTX-700TVL-CMOS-Cam-p-1187733.html
>>
>>1228786
Kakute F3 v1.0 or AIO or Kakute F4
>>
>>1229697
Try again after googling what the Micro Scisky actually is.
>>
>Buy AIOF3PRO_Brushed FC from BG
>Get shitty 3 pin FET version
>Ask CS to send an 8 pin FET version
>OKAY WE SEND UPDATED VERSION
>Get another shitty 3 pin FET version

Fug
>>
>>1229700
By the looks of it it's a piece of shit
>>
https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-VR-D2-FPV-Goggles-Spare-Part-7_4V-2200mAh-Lipo-Battery-p-1086637.html?rmmds=buy

How do I charge this thing? All I have is a work bench power supply and a imax b6 mini.

Can I just push 8.4V and 2A from the power supply? How do I know when its full. Till now b6 has told me when the battery is full.
>>
>>1230675
Since there is no balancer connector on the battery I dont know what to do.
>>
>>1230679
My Dominator V3 came with this and I just turn off the balance port on the Imax.

https://www.amazon.com/Headset-Charger-Adapter-Fat-Shark/dp/B00LMIK02M/
>>
>>1230687
Just plugged the battery in my bench pwr supply with 8.4V. Once the draw went from 1.4 A to 1 A lipos voltage was already at 8V. Seems to be working for now.
>>
Im confused. Does the flysky i6 only bind to the fs ia6 reciever. So if i want to have multiple quads i need multiple fs ia6? Does it have to be the same model receiver?
>>
>>1223469
>/g/
>drones
So who makes these /g/ approved drones?
nvidia or amd?
>>
File: Intel-Drone-500-2.jpg (151KB, 690x460px) Image search: [Google]
Intel-Drone-500-2.jpg
151KB, 690x460px
>>1230803
Intel.
>>
>>1230803
the FSF
>>
My battery voltage buzzer broke. How much flight time I should expect from 3s 2200mah 65c lipo so i dont break it?
>>
>>1231766
lol. what motor and power are you drawing?
>>
thoughts on prop savers?
>>
>>1231769
The 99 dollar racer normal version from uavfuture
>>
>>1231769
Racerstar Racing Edition 2205 BR2205 2300KV 2-4S Brushless Motor

Vtx03 25mw
>>
Are the 28-30 gauge signal ground wires from an ESC really necessary? I've seen people just desoldering them on some vids for space saying the 20 gauge ones to the PDB are only necessary.
>>
>>1231766
I just pass the voltage level and flight time through the OSD
>>
>>1231824
Hmm. Wonder if it can be done on flysky fs i6
>>
>>1228582
I finished the build and tried it with 450mah 3s Turnigys and they're hot as fuck by the time the battery gets low even without flying it hard, just cruising around the neighborhood. They're kind of running warm even on 450mah 2s. I'm going to mess with the PIDs but guess I might have to ditch the frame as a last resort so I can fit different props. The motors and FC are softmounted though.

I really like the Eachine Aurora 90 Halo clone frame so far. I slammed the thing into my roof's gutter pretty hard then it fell from two stories up onto concrete. Didn't even snap, delaminate, fracture, or damage props. The Firer frame would have ripd and probably lost all props.
>>
>>1231881
so you have a 6s craft and no osd? how?
>>
I have no experience with anything rc and I want to build my first quad. I've looked up instructibles and that sort of thing, but are there any pitfalls or major fuck ups I should know about before I start buying shit.
>>
>>1234058
go on RCgroups and Flite Test. Instructables are generally shit.
>>
>>1234058

if there's one thing i wish i knew before getting into this hobby several months ago it would be to get escs with multishot or dshot protocol capability. it's the newest and quickest communication protocol and it allows your CPU to perform stabilization more rapidly. to take advantage of them you'll need an stm32f3 or stm32f4 flight controller
>>
>>1234058
it's going to be very expensive and your quad is going to be inefficient as fuck and only get 2 minutes of flight time

I recommend buying extra motors because there is a high chance something is going to get fucked on your first flight

have fun
>>
>>1234361
>>1234415
>>1234470
is their a brand tier chart for parts, like what brands are more reliable, higher quality, better bang for the buck?
>>
File: Readings.png (30KB, 1243x345px) Image search: [Google]
Readings.png
30KB, 1243x345px
Hey there, I started making my first ever quadcopter last week, I didn't really have any idea about the components to use beforehand and I ordered somewhat randomly after reading up a little bit about the ratings and incompatibilities of components online. The components I have are;

- 4x A2212 930KV BLDC motors rated at a max current draw of 12 Amps
- 4x Hobbypower brand 30 Amp ESCs (Electronic Speed controllers) w/ SimonK firmware
- 4200 mAH, 3S, 30C LiPo (DJi Brand)

Other components are unrelated to this questions, as such I'm skipping them.

The problem I'm getting right now is that the quad doesn't seem to be operating at lower battery voltages when taken to full throttle. Once the battery falls even a little bit, the quad motors start to "Jerk", quickly losing speed and gaining it back again only to lose it again.

My first instinct was to measure the current flow out of the battery. I don't have anything to measure high DC currents, my DMMs only go up to 10 amps so I used a resistive shunt (made of some very thick wire) and put it inbetween the battery and the Quadcopter and measured the voltage drop across it. Pic related are my observations

(Cont.)
>>
File: Readings 2.png (8KB, 855x151px) Image search: [Google]
Readings 2.png
8KB, 855x151px
>>1234518
The first readings in the previous picture are with a fully charged battery, the idle battery voltage (with just the quad's electronics powered and no BLDCs running) is 12.5 volts which goes down to 11.7 volts with a 48 Amp current draw at full throttle. The motors are rated at 12 Amps each full current draw and I'm assuming there are 15-20% losses in the ESCs. The spec lines up almost perfectly with the results here.

The second set of readings are with a battery discharged to about half capacity, the battery sits at 12.05 volts while idle and goes down to 11.2 volts at max current draw. The problem happens when I go above 60-70% throttle at this voltage level. The motors speed up as I take the throttle up until I get to 11.2-11.3 volts on the battery, then the motor "Resets" and "Bounces" back to a lower speed until the voltage pops back up to the 11.5 volts level, it then tries to speed up again until it gets to the same 11.2 volt level again and the cycle repeats.

From this experiment I concluded that the ESCs I'm using might have some sort of minimum voltage cutoff built into them, so I set up another experiment to test that out. I took the propeller off of the motor and ran it from my bench power supply, I hooked the ESC with an Ammeter in series and measured the current flowing into the ESC at different voltages (randomly selected). The results are in pic related

With no load attached to the motors, the Motors / ESCs operated right down to 10.2 volts which is actually below what's considered safe for a LiPo, below this voltage, the motors powered up once in a jerk and then slowly shut down. I experienced no such cutoff / jerking in this test that I experienced in the previous test and the ESC's battery cutoff seems to be well below the 11.2-11.3 volts that I get down to in the previous test.
>>
>>1234519
Now I'm wondering if the problem is with the battery not being able to supply the current it needs to. The battery is rated 30C, at 4200 mAH capacity this should be good for atleast a 100 Amps (taking into account battery degradation). The battery supplies 48 amps in the fully charged test without problem and the limiting factor there was the motor's max current draw rating (12 amps x4 = 48 amps + losses)

I don't actually have an electrical load large enough to draw 100 amps from the battery to test it but if there's no other way around it, I'll have to make/buy one (glow wire? heating element?).

I'm unsure of what else to test / measure and how to do it, from what I can gather, the bottleneck in the system is either the Battery, the ESCs or the Motors. I don't think the motors are at fault so its either the ESCs or the Battery, what is the easiest way to test this out and deduce the bottleneck? (Short of getting another battery and different ESCs to test with).
>>
wtf is up with lipo's that have a rating like 50~100C are they 50 or 100? are they 50 with only short bursts up to 100?
>>
>>1234415
>multishot or dshot protocol capability
I don't see any that come loaded with multishot, but they can be upgraded from oneshot?
>>
>>1234557
correct. 50 continuous and 100 burst.
>>
File: jumper_t8sg.jpg (152KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
jumper_t8sg.jpg
152KB, 1200x600px
what do you guys think of this thing?
>>
>>1234563
Typically not since the hardware doesn't support it
>>
>>1234681
I have the proper one so can't comment
>>
What's the cheapest you can get away with for inspection use?
Inspection of hard to reach spaces which you're perfectly legally allowed to be in that happen to be in the woods.
Meaning quality above 720p is completely superfluous.
Range and battery life is a big plus.
Stability is also good.
I have access to a 3D printer if that matters.
>>
>>1234734
Also while the use is professional I'm willing to put in time with this as a hobby. Preferably bounded time though.
>>
Has anyone tried out the Emax Magnum stack yet?

What about the Armattan Velvet or Steele Silks for motors? They're both about $21 each

I want to try some of those components in a Chameleon build.
>>
File: IMG_20170827_164309.jpg (458KB, 1216x912px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170827_164309.jpg
458KB, 1216x912px
This week in Iceland would've been amazing if it hadn't been so windy :/

>>1234518
>>1234519
>>1234521
Sounds like you could be having desync issues. See if you can reflash your ESCs to replace simonk with blheli. Simonk is essentially considered obsolete these days & is known to have desync issues with lower kv motors.
>>
How far would a flight time estimate of 4 minutes be off with these stats:
-quad
-max draw per motor 20A
-2200 mAh 3s

Thanks
>>
>>1234868
2200 mAH = 1 hours at 2.2 amps current draw

At 20 x 4 = 80 amps of current draw: 80/2.2 = 0.0275 hours of flight = 1.65 minutes of flight.

This is if the battery is actually up to the full rated capacity, which is usually not the case unless you buy a more reputable brand
>>
>>1235049
that's at full load though, you could calculate the hover time by figuring out what amount of thrust your motors have to produce to lift the quads weight and the current draw at that thrust level. but that'd still be at a stand still hover and not a perfect representation of your flight time.
>>
>>1235113
Current draw by BLDCs is usually linearly related to the speed / throttle. So lets say you hover at about 50% thrust which means 50% power = 10 amps per motor = 40 amps total = 2.2/40 = 0.055 hours or 3.3 minutes

So lets just take the average between hover and full throttle as your average throttle which gives you about 2.5 minutes of flight time.

Obviously this is still just an estimate but I still think 4 minutes would be quite a ways off.
>>
>>1220448
Where can I buy this? Is it even released yet?
>>
>>1235520
Not that guy but $170 at their site and TBS
http://www.inventorfpv.com/carbon-fiber-items

http://team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:sparrow_knight

Price seems a bit overkill for a 220 frame and it's heavy as fuck. It's a pretty questionable purchase but looks cool.
>>
File: Iceland_FPV_teaser_webm_2.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Iceland_FPV_teaser_webm_2.webm
3MB, 640x360px
Sometimes things are just made for flying through.
>>
>>1236076

nice video. I'd love to have a FPV like that.
>>
>>1236076
What are the travel regulations on Lipo batteries these days?
>>
>>1236076
does it sometimes feel like you are playing F-Zero X?
>>
File: IMG_20170822_125254.jpg (155KB, 682x909px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170822_125254.jpg
155KB, 682x909px
>>1236111
Same as always really. Loose batteries have to go in hand luggage, storage charge & taped terminals. You can carry as many <100Wh packs as you want (no total capacity limit), max of two 100-160Wh packs (but those only with airline permission) & nothing >160Wh.

I've not really had any issues at Western airports (hand searches, but that's to be expected). Had huge hassles at Dubai & Islamabad though.

Picrelated was my hand luggage for Iceland - 2x 1500mAh 2S, 6x 1300mAh 4S, 4x 4000mSh 6S. My colleague had 5x Inspire batteries in her hand luggage.

>>1236216
I'm not really into racing, but LED gates does sound like it would be super fun for that F-Zero feeling :)
>>
>>1223825
There's more to RC than quadcopters you fucking nigger, even if this general suggests otherwise
might as well call it /qcg/ at this point
>>
>>1236477
ok
>>
File: Dronescore.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Dronescore.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Question? Can a salvaged/scrap dji be restored? Is it worth getting a new controller/battery if I got it from a crash recovery? Does the software lock out new users?

Pic related sitting in my parts bin. Worth the effort?
>>
>>1237559
Give it back, Jamal
>>
>>1237559
Goddamn, they be stealin from the skies now.
>>
>>1237563
Bought it from an old lady. It crashed in her prize winning tulips last year. She even put out flyers so she could give "that asshole a piece of her mind" it damaged some siding too. The pilot never contacted her. I bought it for scrap. Is it worth investing in officially or should I gut it?
>>
File: 1v6ldr[1].jpg (60KB, 568x335px) Image search: [Google]
1v6ldr[1].jpg
60KB, 568x335px
>>1237567
>an old lady sold me it
yup, all that sounds legit
>>
>>1237579
Before I bought it from her I even went on dji forums. For some reason "phantom crash in west seattle a year ago" didnt get much response. Hard to give back abandoned trash. The web site dont give me contact info from serial numbers. I helped suppliment a neighbors fixed income I feel its worth it for motors alone. Cant get a straight answer for any of this.
>>
>>1237582
She should have handed it over to the police, not sold it in a yard sale. How fucking simple is this?
>>
>>1237633
Possession is 9/10. Call the cops because there is a toy in your backyard? She did good. Its better in my parts bin than an evidence locker. @ $25 a motor its a good deal. Going to slap an ardupilot init. Make me a phantom sleeper.

Thanks for the memes.
>>
>>1237714
>phantom sleeper
>stock motors
>ardupilot

So it's going to fly just the same as a regular phantom, but a bit shit?
>>
literally what is the advantage of a quadcopter other than memes

why not a conventional one or two rotor configuration like a helo, or fixed-wing aircraft style
>>
>>1237803
Fixed-pitch props are much simpler mechanically than helicopter rotors, which makes them easier to build/maintain (especially so at smaller sizes).
Smaller blades also means they have less kinetic energy, so they can't do as much damage in a collision.

Many of the guys I fly with have fixed wing stuff as well, it's just not discussed as much since RC planes have been around for quite a while.
>>
so i dont know anything about these things. but im curious. can you guys post cool videos of acreobatic/racing/exploring drones?
imoress me and just share...i saw some awesome videos like 4 years ago, i guess shit is killing it these days. thonks
>>
>>1237838
>Fixed-pitch props are much simpler mechanically than helicopter rotors, which makes them easier to build/maintain (especially so at smaller sizes).
Why does this matter when 99% of this thread are either buying kits or completely pre-assembled "drones"?

>Smaller blades also means they have less kinetic energy, so they can't do as much damage in a collision.
Have you considered not crashing?
>>
>>1237849
all the fun stuff has a risk of crashing, and people would rather replace $6 worth of props than have to dismantle and fix swashplates and troubleshoot which moving parts are broken or misaligned
>>
>>1213744
>>1214061
Legally speaking, the standard for liability is whether he would have avoided the damage if he were taking reasonable precautions to prevent the failure. Generally (in the US at least), a company that sells a faulty product that subsequently causes damage to other property through no fault of the operator is responsible for the damage.
>>
>>1237890
what if a $2 battery being properly charged in a jewlerry store causes an explosion the blows the doors off the front then some passer bys steal $50 mil worth of jewellery?
>>
File: herr costanza.png (35KB, 160x185px) Image search: [Google]
herr costanza.png
35KB, 160x185px
>>1224180
no joke you can take him to small claims court for breach of contract if there was a concrete offer, acceptance, and promise to pay.

Judge will probably give you damages (read cash) but is unlikely to grant you the item in question "specific performance"

The law takes contracts very seriously its important they are upheld.

t-Law student.
>>
>>1237992
Yeah, sue his ass
>>
Has anyone ever 3dprinted a drone frame, and if so, how did it hold up in normal use, and what type of... plastic? did you use.
>>
>>1213127
I would like to build a drone for taking high quality video , any guides for this op?
>>
>>1238391
The mistake most people make is to copy a carbon fiber design, not taking into consideration the different properties of the materials. Unsurprisingly, their frames perform badly and break easily.
>>
What would be a cheap option if I want a drone with who I can just explore everything around me and watching it from it. Also what is their range
>>
>>1238560
Brushless Hubsan will do a few hundred meters with live video and GPS return to home, second hand Phantom will cost maybe twice as much but have longer range and a gimbal for recording smooth video in addition to just exploring.
>>
>>1238391
probably, it's not going to be as strong as carbonfiber at the same weight, you could make it more aerodynamic though, I personally don't know enough about 3d printing to recommend a plastic.
>>
>>1238645
I watched some videos about it, and it seems PETG filament is the strongest to use, it would be fun project to try.
>>
>>1238648
to make it worthwhile over carbon fiber you'd have to incorporate designs that are difficult to do cheaply with carbon fiber but are easy to do with 3d printing.
>structural fan ducts
>angled motor mounts
>upside down motors
>aerodynamic chassis
>internal supports in hollow parts
>>
File: 1503794115707.jpg (73KB, 514x832px) Image search: [Google]
1503794115707.jpg
73KB, 514x832px
Hey guys was into RC shit 2 years ago but stopped for some reason. Right before the time quad and FPV got cool.

Some questions

1. Can the FCC suck my asshole or do i actually have to be put on a list and take some test to fly my toy with a camera

2. is this something good to start with https://hobbyking.com/en_us/90gt-brushless-fpv-drone-pnp-with-dsm2-x-receiver.html

3. How big of a deal is goggles , can i just get any pair or does it matter a huge amount.
>>
>>1238736
>1. Can the FCC suck my asshole or do i actually have to be put on a list and take some test to fly my toy with a camera
no one gives a fuck about FCC FAA
>2. is this something good to start with https://hobbyking.com/en_us/90gt-brushless-fpv-drone-pnp-with-dsm2-x-receiver.html
its a foot in the door, dure
>3. How big of a deal is goggles , can i just get any pair or does it matter a huge amount.
get ones with good resolution
>>
>>1238741
just more specifically im not going to be hunted down for not having an FCC license and fined 250,000 bucks. I can fly FPV racing drones without having to worry about federal autism? is that what everyone else does?

2. Whats "good resolution"? is this good? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quanum-fatshark-genesis-hd-fpv-goggle-w-integrated-32-ch-5-8ghz-diversity-receiver.html
>>
>>1238750
>hunted down for not having an FCC license
as long as you have good common sense and don't try to get yourself in trouble by doing super illegal things no one will bother you

and any thing over 480p is good
most video transmitters use TVL or TV lines which are low resolution and low latency
720p is overkill unless you are using a transmitter off a mobius or runcam, but those digital signals will have latency
>>
>>1238750
For the FCC to even get involved, you have to be interfering with something... luckily, the list of things that run on 5.8GHz is incredibly short (it's mainly hobby stuff and some scientific equipment).
>>
>>1238753
ya i mean i will be flying in like a soccer field or something not near an airport or the pentagon
>>
Ok, I am looking to obtain (be it buying or building) a drone (as in automated) that needs to be able to track preferably my phone via Bluetooth, which in it's self isn't too hard, the problem comes when I say that it needs to be smaller than 20in, able to fly while 90% encased, and I need to be able to mount a custom skin around it.

I do not need it to feed back video. Suggestions?
>>
>>1239631
When you say 'drone', does it have to be a multirotor? If you're looking for something that flies that you can display graphics on, you might be better off with some sort of balloon? You could still have propellers on a pod hung from the bottom to allow it to move itself around to follow you? Something like this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jQSF5IRq3A
>>
>>1239675
No it doesn't /have/ to be a multi-rotor, but it does need to be contained completely in a 20in diameter sphere. I'm not entirely convinced that a blimp would work.
>>
File: thumb-a1.jpg (8KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
thumb-a1.jpg
8KB, 200x150px
>>1239871
you'll have to be knowledgeable about smart phone programming but for the blimp to receive data from your phone regarding its position you can use one of these chips. The green chip tacked on to the flight controller has around a 5km range and operates on the sub 1Ghz spectrum.
You will have another one of those green chips connected to your phone probably via USB. The app you create for your phone will send GPS coordinates to the green chip via USB. Your blimp will then use its GPS antenna to go to those coordinates
>>
>>1239871
https://youtu.be/DUGEjQdoylY
>>
>>1240125
Yea, I've seen that. The outside spins (quite rapidly), and as such how would someone fix a static skin around it?

>>1240104
Yea, a phone app is already planned in the works, as the phone will be integrated into a costume, and needs to look functionally like something else while still being a screen based communication device. Guess I need to look into boency and see if a sub 20 inch balloon can lift a sufficient enough payload to include propulsion, communication, and other electronics in that sub 20 inch size, and also need to build the payload so as to know how much it will weigh.
>>
>>1240190
what exactly are you trying to make? A servo skull?
>>
>>1213127
What would be the best small drone you can get with little money? Ideally with a cam that can stream video to a phone. I can't fly it outside since I would need a license for that, only want to fly in my 3-room apartment and maybe take it on vacation and get some nice shots. I also have a gopro and a rpi so maybe that's something to work with.
>>
>>1239871
Ah sorry, didn't think of the 20" part. Knowing the lift of a 16" helium balloon, a blimp would never work.
>>
>>1240324
>only want to fly in my 3-room apartment
>take it on vacation and get some nice shots
>with little money
>also have a gopro

Most of these things are mutually exclusive.

Anything big enough to lift a GoPro and take nice shots outdoors is going to be way too big to fly indoors. It also won't be cheap.

On the other hand there are plenty of cheap (<$50) brushed micro quads on banggood that will stream video to your phone over wifi, but you're not going to be taking nice holiday snaps with them.
>>
>>1240391
Oh okay, you see I know next to nothing about the subject.
I'll grab one of those cheap ones and if I like it I'll upgrade or build one myself, thank you!
>>
>>1240416
On the plus side, the cheapies are a pretty good way to get a handle on how quads control (and also a good way to tell if your really enjoy a hobby before dropping $200+ on it)
>>
>>1240284
343 Guilty Spark, Monitor of installation 04
>>
Shit like this is why it's getting harder to fly quadcopters in parks and open spaces. Normies are already afraid of the things thinking they're a invasive peeping flying death machine for whatever reason.

When they see these retards intentionally flying quads into each other on social media it doesn't help the hobby at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI0N5iY--eM
>>
>>1240699
>invasive peeping flying death machine
kek. my neighbours complained that their daughter's room is on the 2nd level and they don't want me flying near there
>>
>>1218688
in the simulator yeah
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.