[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to dry 3in1 oil?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1485816800567.jpg (226KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1485816800567.jpg
226KB, 960x960px
Hey guise so I stupidly try to lube up my locks with 3in1 oil and guess what. It's a mess. Every time I put my key in all this grease comes out and it dirties up my hands and clothes. Any way to dry this up for good? I have been using toothpicks, qtips and by putting the key in and out and wiping it with a towel to no avail. I'm thinking about putting some graphite powder in there to "dry it up". would that be a good idea?
>>
>>1138948
take it apart, clean with solvent. then use graphite powder to lube, you stupid hippy.
>>
no the graphite powder will clog like fuck and mess up the inner workings of the lock.

Xmas eve 1996 the door locks on my taxi were frozen, eventually i got them thawed enough to open the drivers door. had some 3 in 1, thought " oh this'll help displace any moisture" and squirted some in the lock. sure as fuck the oil just sat there and oozed onto the key each time i put it in.
another thought occurred "if i leave it like this it's going to get messy, i know i'll soak it up with the graphite powder i bought to lube that big ass padlock i have"
puffed the powder into the lock, lock got jammed up like fuck, but only AFTER i'd managed to lock the taxi door again.

tl:dr NOPE
>>
>>1138961
i can't take it apart. it's a master lock for my store.
>>
>>1138964
yea but that's for a car door. I'm talking about a lock like a master lock for stores and bikes.
>>
>>1138964
>no the graphite powder will clog like fuck and mess up the inner workings of the lock.

Only if you try and dump a bunch in there without cleaning out whatever oil/grease was in there previously. Graphite is used plenty often for locks.

That being said, my personal preference is lithium grease. Long life and doesn't damage plastics. Have to take the lock apart to apply it, though, which can be a significant downside.
>>
>>1138969
Soak it in acetone.
>>
Just keep a rag around the ring of the lock. Residual grease will work better for longer. Get a can of kroil or something and just spray every so often on new locks.
>>
i only see troll advice here or some misunderstanding. i'm trying to stop the grease from coming out of the key hole and onto the key once its inserted and taken out. im gonna try to use duster to dry out the 3in1 household oil.
>>
Brake Klean...yes with a K dries almost instantly...thank me l8r
>>
File: Capture.jpg (18KB, 132x370px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
18KB, 132x370px
>>
>>1139029
>Brake Klean
thank you. i just hope that i don't "blow up" my lock or destroy my lock by troll advice, but i believe you.
>>
>>1139029
this

came here to post this
flush it out and let it dry
>>
>>1138948
>I'm thinking about putting some graphite powder in there to "dry it up". would that be a good idea?

>>1138964
no the graphite powder will clog like fuck and mess up the inner workings of the lock.

>>1138990

Only if you try and dump a bunch in there without cleaning out whatever oil/grease was in there previously. Graphite is used plenty often for locks.

Are you fucking retarded? He clearly isn't saying not to ever use graphite powder, he's replying to the question asked in the OP. Is English your first language? The level of reading comprehension on this board is just fucked.

In answer to OP, you need to get the oil out. Try using a solvent/degreaser/contact cleaner to disperse the oil and push it away. Filling it with graphite powder will do about as much good as filling it with dirt. You will get mud, it will be worse than having an oily lock. You should also have a think about how it's possible to end up grown man who can't figure this out for himself.
>>
>>1139055
>grown man

spotted the problem
>>
>>1138948
>I stupidly try to lube up my locks with 3in1 oil

I must be tired, cause I read that as "socks"...and I was like wtf would someone be doing lubing up their socks....that sounded like a terrible ides for a fleshlight
>>
>>1138964
>>1139055
Listen to a locksmith. In the long run, using a liquid lube will gum locks do to dirt.
https://youtu.be/G11XUvtPWD8
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.