[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

teach me how to thread? intrude/extrude

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 49-boltHexMetric001.jpg (46KB, 308x230px) Image search: [Google]
49-boltHexMetric001.jpg
46KB, 308x230px
teach me how to thread?

intrude/extrude
>>
You need a set of taps & dies (and drills)

External:
Pretty easy. Run the die down the right size rod that comes in the same sizes as bolt threads.

Internal:
Look up the drill size for the thread. For soft materials, a little smaller bit is OK. For hard materials, cheating the hole slightly larger will make threading easier.

Drill the hole.

Hitting the hole slightly with a countersink or is helpful, both for covering the slight burr from the tap and it makes starting the tap easier. Not necessary though

Use downward pressure as you start the tap. Make sure it's straight with the hole. Go slowly and keep backing up far enough to break the chip. Dont let the tap flutes get filled up with chips, back the tap all the way out to clean if you need to. Oil helps a lot, expecially with harder materials.

Taps are brittle so be careful about the forces you apply, expecially sideways.

Once you get the feel for it, not as much caution is needed, and smaller holes can be tapped with a drill.
>>
>>1138875
>>1138858

For specifically running a tap internally, I always use Tap Magic (smells like cinnamon, red label) and a good rule of thumb is that for every 2 and a half turns, turn it back just over a quarter-turn and you will feel it break the thread, which then runs it into the flutes.
>>
>>1138858
Also at hardware stores they sell quick thread indicators and such on string of sorts for like $10. Worth it if you have no other references, but I bought a poster at Fastenal which gives me a handy breakdown of metric/standard conversions.
>>
Teach me how to YouTube. Searching/watching videos.
>>
>>1138905

I love that shit.
The smell is nothing like cinnamon, though, it's more of a sweet smell that I can't describe. Maybe it's something else in a tap magic bottle that I have..
>>
>>1138858
It's just like sex. Lube up, go in slow, go back out slow, get all the crud out, repeat.
>>
>>1138858
You don't say what tools are in your shed,
Single point thread thrning on a lathe opens up the posabilities. It took me a week of evenings to learn how to do it but the reward is well worth the effort.
Old Tony does a good introduction to the process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb_BURLuI70
>>
>>1138858
I used to thread studs all day as my job, and while even after two years I can't really tell you anything about it, I felt like sharing a video of the machine I used because I always thought it was kind of cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bclnb_Cp4sE
>>
>>1138875
God forbid you have to tap stainless. I did it as a job, and internal tapping was just shit, especially when it started to be +5/8 holes.

Even when you do it slowly, the drilling ever so slightly hardness the metal at the surface. Unfortunately, you cut that hard surface exclusively and wear the hell out of the tap.

The bigger holes I even made specific cheater bars to fit over the t-handle. Not smart, but it worked when the boss didn't want to buy new taps.
>>
Yall an ignant bunch of tardmasters.

https://youtu.be/KXzyCM23WPI?t=2m05s
>>
>>1139518
Man... I'm almost in tears with how beautiful that was...
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.