[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

Argon shenanigans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

Sup /diy/ trying to get into TIG welding but am getting absolutely raped with shielding gas costs.

From what I've read I need 6-7L per minute to shield correctly, the problem is out of these $40/L(60L equivalent) compressed bottles I'm getting barely a minute of use before they're completely empty, my assumption is they're all empty when I buy them because the date of the bottle is around 2014, is this expiry or manufacture date? Because I can't find a single bottle made in the last 2 years.

Yes I have a fixed pressure reg and a flow meter. Yes I've put the entire bottle, reg, flow meter, line and torch under water, no leaks. What am I overlooking here?
>>
>>1138115
>What am I overlooking here?
When you bought the bottles, did they say that they were full of argon? Because round these parts, the bottle itself and a refill are separate purchases. How much pressure do the bottles have in them, and how does that compare to their pressure at nominal capacity?
>>
Also:
>60L equivalent
That's a tiny bottle. The argon bottles I use at home are 8500 liters capacity
>>
>>1138115

Bottles are good for 5 years past the date, unless they have another marking like a star or something then it;'s good for 10.
>>
>>1138115
Just use carbon dioxide, or a mix.
>>
>>1138160
That's not going to work for tig welding you retarded nigger.

>>1138115
You're unbelievably retarded OP.

It's obvious what the problem is but you're the kind of person who is going to die when they leave the bottle open and gas themself in their own house.

>>1138135
He's retarded.
>>
>>1138164
>It's obvious what the problem is but you're the kind of person who is going to die when they leave the bottle open and gas themself in their own house.
Not with 60 liters he's not.
>>
>>1138164
So apparently the CO2 reacts with the tungsten. Does it make Cunstain Tunglide?
>>
>>1138160

Not a good idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetic_acid

If you're doing it just to practice and don't care about corrosion go for it.

>>1138164

You can kill yourself just as easily with argon you retarded nigger.
>>
>>1138168
The paragon of materials, although the chemistry don't chooch.
>>
>>1138479
I feel like a 10 year old who's had his meme recognised, but I'm gleeful all the same
>>
File: 1432487077766.png (52KB, 206x215px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1432487077766.png
52KB, 206x215px
>>1138160
>TIG
>carbon dioxide, or a mix.
>>
>>1138115
get a bigger bottle, if youre in US, get a lease deal with your gas supplier, refills are fuckin cheap that way. also turn the fucker off when youre not using it.
>>
Go to real welding forums NOW. /diy/ cannot contain the vast info they offer.

http://weldingweb.com/

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard

This is not a real welding forum nor can it ever be that because of the emphemeral nature of threads.

I buy used cylinders (after learning what my local Airgas will exchange) on Craigslist and at auction for dirt cheap. Fuck leasing, that bleeds money. Weldingweb has many useful threads on cylinder purchase and inspection (you need cylinders in good condition to exchange).

When you've studied a bit you can wallow in industrial gases. I bought several nitrogen cylinders for 25 bucks each from a retiring HVAC tech, had some converted to argon for TIG (and MIG brazing) and 75/25 for MIG. The rest get used pressure testing my truck AC and those of my bros. Acetylene and oxygen cylinders are handy for OA welding, heating and heat treating, and cutting tho LP is cheaper for cutting. (CGA-510 regulators fit BBQ jugs too.) Every mechanic and welder should get gud with cylinder acquisition.

Welding suppliers have been buying up competitors for more than a century, and cylinders can last up to 100 years before being taken out of service. Know which parent companies own what to get best deals and to know what NOT to buy in your area.

Welding is huge fun buy you are wasting time ITT so go to the above forums (the Miller site has good free training vids too) and learn.

>>1138160
You can't TIG with CO2 or CO2 mixes. Don't you dare post what you don't know about. Shut up and fuck off. Following your stupid suggestion could cost OP money and frustration. Go bit leper pustules or something. Fucking cunt. Go to /pol/ where your level of unhelpful deceit is acceptable.

OP, when you post TIG questions in real forums, do NOT make stoopid 4chan posts with no details! That stops others from helping you. Include machine make and model, amp settings, what you are welding, your choice of TIG filler, type of tungsten etc.
>>
File: freeman.jpg (7KB, 208x155px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
freeman.jpg
7KB, 208x155px
>>1138865
this
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.