[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

E-Bike

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: s-l1600.jpg (292KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
292KB, 1600x1600px
Anyone make an ebike or have an ebike? I'm looking at rear hub kits on eBay and aliexpress but it seems like their are a bunch of about the same kits for a wide range of prices. Anyone have any tips or bought any?

I think that I want a rear wheel hub motor that is 1000-1500w so I can get up and go.
>>
This is one of the ones that I was looking at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-1000W-Electric-Bicycle-Cycle-E-Bike-26-Conversion-Kit-Hub-Motor-Rear-Wheel-/221690961896?hash=item339dcf9fe8:g:N~EAAOSwXeJXck2s&autorefresh=true
>>
>>1137106
Have an electric bike, that seems like it would work but wait until you see the price of the battery. Also
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/ is where all the e-bike people hang out.
>>
>>1137106
the problem with hub driven wheels is all that unsprung rotational mass.

If you need to pedal without power you've got a lot of extra work to do to get where you're going.

I have the Bafang 8fun BBS01, BBS02, and BBSHD. mounted on three different bikes. They're a mid drive motor that uses your bike's drivetrain to do the locomotion. The bennefit over hub systems is that when you're not using the system there's a significant effort savings because of no rotational mass getting in the way, and the weight of the motor is centered on the bike and not in the wheel. This mass location leads to a smoother riding bike.

And another great bennefit is that the increased gear range you have on the rear derailure means that you can keep the motor in it's efficiency band much more accurately.
>>
>>1137402
>If you need to pedal without power you've got a lot of extra work to do to get where you're going.

That doesn't have anything to do with the unsprung weight. The cogging torque of the motor, thanks entirely to eddy currents in the laminations, is far higher than in a simple hub/bearing arrangement. It's literally acting as a magnetic brake.

Extra weight on the wheel just gives poorer traction on bumpy surfaces.

Driving through the gears is much closer to the ideal in terms of performance, but that's much more complicated than the plug-and-play nature of a hub motor.
>>
>>1137141
Yeah the battery seems to be the expensive part. Making my own pack looks difficult but I'm sure that it's something that i can figure out.

I've started looking around that forum. Thanks for showing it to me!
>>
>>1137402
The mid drive one's look better but they seem to be a lot more expensive though than the hub systems though. Not sure if it's worth it for what i plan on using it for. (moped that doesn't need registration or insurance)
>>
>>1137483
>moped
Better check the state laws then. Because that 1000w hub motor puts you out of the legal power range for mopeds in many states
>>
File: IMG_1834.jpg (29KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1834.jpg
29KB, 275x183px
My advise would be to not buy anything from China. They are usually cheaper in price because they exploit their works to the point where they jump from factory windows just to die so they don't have to endure the conditions anymore. The amount of child labor they use is a human rights violation, but don't let that distract you from the fact that in 1998 The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer's table.
>>
>>1137559
From what I see so far all the motors and batteries are made in China.

>>1137538
I don't see how they could know. If it said somewhere on the motor visible what the wattage was I would just remove it.
>>
>>1137106
I built one from a shitty ebay kit for about 300 or 350 bucks usd a few years ago.

Highly suggest getting a lithium pack with a bms and good 3 stage or whatever charger. My fat ass build a front wheel model and it was dangerous for spinning out from under u.

Also highly suggest cutting all the chinkshit plugs you can out and direct connect with weather proof connectors and the ones u cant, like tha plug into the controller, fill with glue or something so they dont fall out.

My chinkshit kit came with 2 wires twisted and touching and i didnt notice it until i plugged it in and the mutherfucker craled up and over me and left a 4 foot long burnout on the shop wall as i was flailing and cussing trying to get it off of me. It finally stopped when it sucke my arm into the fork and road rashedmy sucking arm and hand. Thank god i had the front brakes off of it...

Broke 2 fingers and the controller had to be hardwired to all or nothing push button after that, but it could have been worse.

Thank you dad for falling down laughing as i got raped by a bicycle...

With 4 12ah lead batteries my 280 pounds could go about 25mph or better on flat ground for about 5 miles. Guessing tripple or better the miles faster with a 10ah or 20ah lithium pack.

I suggest 48v as its less pull on the battery bank.

I had a 1,000 watt kit.

Have fun bro.
>>
>>1137465
Bruh. Check out grant thompsons king of random vids. He builds a pop welder for a123 vells from a fucking microwave...
>>
>>1137538
Nobody checks that shit tho. Just fake pedal some and dont haul dick. Get some cheesy 250 watts of POWERRRRR stickers and shit and cover it.

I hid my electronics ina bike bag and nobody in town even noticed the hib motor till i pointed it out.
>>
>>1137559
Kek, true. There are companies that dropship from china and test the chink kits and then warrenty them for an extra 50 bucks.

Worth it
>>
>>1137679
Shit son! That's intense!
>>
>>1137679
pretty fucking radical dude!
>>
File: asdf.jpg (281KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
281KB, 800x600px
Go on endless-sphere, read up, and buy a BBSHD.

t. Mid drive master race (Tangent Motors kit)

>>1137437
>muh eddy currents

This post is mostly nonesense. Hub motors are ok when spoked into a 19" motorcycle wheel (pic related) - but typical bicycle wheels are just going to break spokes and bend.

You also can't bunny hop up curbs - instead slam the rear wheel into it. Same for going down stairs, etc.

Mid-drive kits just 'feel' better on trails. Plus shifting is a lot of fun vs the '1 speed' of hub motors.
>>
>>1137960
>shifting is a lot of fun
sure thing grandpa
>>
>>1137965
>sure thing grandpa
I think you're in the wrong forum - not everyone is a poorfag like you
some people build things for the creative pleasure
>>
>>1138024
building an electric bike like it has to have the same limitations as a gasoline one is not creative, it's just stupid.
>>
>>1138046
some build furniture
some write music
some paint
many without talent just complain
>>
>>1138070
and dumb old grampas fail to adapt to new technologies
>>
>>1137960
>This post is mostly nonesense. Hub motors are ok when spoked into a 19" motorcycle wheel (pic related) - but typical bicycle wheels are just going to break spokes and bend.

The only "nonsense" here is how the fuck what kind of wheel it's in is relevant to the point of "why a hub motor slows you down when unpowered".

I said nothing about the durability of the wheel, just that the extra weight on the wheel wasn't what made it hard to pedal when unpowered. As far as "what's likely to break" is concerned, the drops are much more likely to fail than the spokes. Using some kind of reinforcement ("torque arms") to keep them from being torn out by the reaction force on the axle is, at worst, advisable, and an outright necessity for higher-powered hubs.

By the same logic that would allow an extra 10-20lbs on the wheel to be enough to damage spokes, un-suspended bikes wouldn't be usable at all.

I don't even know why you're trying to be so contradictory; I AGREED that using the existing transmission (or a dedicated one if you want to get fancy) on the bike is preferable if you're willing to deal with the extra hassle involved.
>>
>>1138046

While I'm not adherent to the "more complex = more fun" philosophy, gearing the type of motors you normally find on a bike/scooter is advantageous. Most of the motors used tend to be, for lack of a better phase, kind of shit. Electric motors do have power and efficiency bands, even if they're a lot flatter than what you'd expect out of a combustion engine. You need a very well-engineered and constructed (see also: expensive) motor before at least a basic transmission starts to look redundant.

The Chinese fare that comes standard on these things definitely does not qualify as such.
>>
>>1137790
Ya. Also crashed it into the shit pond 2 weeks latter...

Rode that mutherfucker to town a few hours latter and threw it in a bonfire.

Piece of shit...
>>
>>1137965
Lol, after driving an 18 speed ina mountains i sold my 5 speed pickup for an automatic.

Fuck shifting ever...
>>
>>1138046
Nah man. I built my ebike and it was 5x as fun and 1/2 as nerdy as i figured it would be. The look on peoples face when you pass them on main street with a 12 volt dixi air horn.

>mfw
>>
>>1138070
Mutherfucker that things ugly. Lol. I still like it
>>
Yes, and it's shit.
I'm looking at getting a 1KW petrol generator to replace its battery with.
>>
>>1138540
mechanical to elecric insted of just mechanical.

Dude dont do it.

Cheaper and easier to just go with gas powered unless you want additional range periodically with a generator.
>>
>>1137465
use extreme caution
> why is my soldering iron welding now???
>>
>>1137106
I have the parts for one in my closet I never finished. Including a $650 battery.

Basically yes all the motors are from China and they are fine. I have a papa motor kit. The issue is really the rim. If you use it a lot you apparently need to get the motor remounted on a better rim or at least keep dealing with any loose spokes.

With regards to batteries the battery I bought you could buy an equivalent for able $200 less than I paid. It is critical to have a good one.

Last thing I can say is these things are dangerous. Lot of power in these motors and batteries. Be careful.
>>
i assembled one of those china kits for a costumer not long ago. Dont expect them to come with a manual. Wires were color coded all the way through though. Dont expect anything to fit properly either. Youll need alot of zip ties. As for the ride. hes still happy with it. dont know about the battery life. But i see him happily riding past the shop once in a while.
>>
I'm a big fan of the bafang BBS02 - I have two, one on a hybrid, one on a mtb. Done about six thousand miles with them. Really easy kit to fit, excellent at hills especially.
>>
> My advise would be to not buy anything from China.

Hah, good luck with that, mate.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.