[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your business ideas?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

File: van office.jpg (1MB, 2848x2136px) Image search: [Google]
van office.jpg
1MB, 2848x2136px
Oh Holy /DIY/vers
what are you business plans, current or future?
I thought it might be an idea to post my idea, and hear yours, and to discuss the viabilities and solutions for making our ideas work.

so, I am currently and apprentice upholsterer, with qualifications in yacht fit out. my idea is to start by fitting out a van to function as a mobile upholstery workshop, from which i can provide a mobile re-upholstery service. eventually i want to turn it into an operation for bespoke custom fit out for yachts and van conversions.
what are your thoughts?
>>
>>1132902
I have no idea what the market for upholstery is, but good luck.

I have 2 businesses. One launches RL sales in May (currently online only), the other is reselling CCG and tools (sometimes with restoration).

I will say this - busy work is the killer of most people's attempts at greatness. People, including me, can be subconsciously afraid of failure without even knowing it. That fear will cause us to rationalize wasting time with low-value hard work. Do the high value hard work.

It's very comfortable to be working hard and think "at least I'm not making excuses" but if the work you're doing isn't the most vital thing in making your next dollar - then you ARE making excuses.

This is America. We have professional pet massagers BC people are too lazy to give their dogs a gentle neck rub. We have professional video gamers on Twitch. You can make money doing ANYTHING - but you not only have to work, you have to prioritize.
>>
>>1132902
I am currently in electrician school, and I plan to get my license and finish an engineering associates degree that I left in the dust. With that, I can start an electrical company, although I also like low voltage systems and that could be a success with the dawn of smart homes.

On the more unrealistic side, it'd be cool to design and manufacture electronics devices and control panels. For now, electronics is a hobby.
>>
>>1133695
Along these lines I would like to get together with some friends that are server admins to do independent work on setting up networks and connectivity for companies, that would be cool. I work exclusively with low voltage stuff and it's neat
>>
>>1133702
Same with me; my current company does fire and security, with a lot of other low voltage stuff on the side. I think smart homes are an inevitability in a primitive stage, so low voltage is a good place to be with that in mind.
>>
>>1132902

My idea is to brows /diy/ and /biz/ and steal all the good ideas. This will make me billions.
>>
>>1132902
Think i'll grow a little weed and make a little shine.
Figure if Earl and Cleatus can do it so can I
>>
>>1132902
Hard candy buttplugs
>>
>>1133733
You won't find any good ideas in /biz/.
>>
>>1132902
I'm thinking about making hand made furniture. Just by hand out of wood. Just buy some green labeled wood and make it with non electrical tools. Label the furniture as green furniture and double the price. People will buy it, as they can show off how good they are for mother earth with the bonus of showing off they're rich.
>>
>>1133733
You'd better be a hell of a crab meat salesman if you think you'll make money off of a /diy/ scam... err... idea.
>>
>>1133805
Just double the price?
I take it you're doing it for charity not profit.
>>
I want to be a hops farmer. I was talking to a lady from the government in my province that deals with promoting and loans for agricultural businesses. She told me that the area where I am at is perfect for hops and the farmers make bank doing it.
>>
>>1133822
whats the general area?
>>
>>1133824

Central Alberta
>>
>>1133822
Have you looked into it yourself or are you just basing your whole future on the words of some bureaucrat.
>>
I want to start a mobile auto repair business. I know it isn't original. I can offer diagnostic services for modern cars that most of the old guard cannot.
>>
File: 51522760.jpg (93KB, 430x300px) Image search: [Google]
51522760.jpg
93KB, 430x300px
my ideas are too specialized to be reliably profitable, or I cannot afford the proper equipment, or I can't afford to acquire additional skills needed

although I would like to get into the alcohol business, since you can go to the store and find a hundred different brands of beer, but few of anything else, and zero mead (thus far)

>>1133764
>>
Mobile service that drives ahead of garbage trucks and makes sure your cans are on the street
>>
>>1135614
Why not just start a full service trash collection service?
>>
>>1132902
The real money in upholstery is in getting dealership contracts
>>
>>1135614
Why go in front? Your city might not be averse to tracking the trucks themselves.
>>
>>1135614
I actually like this one.
>>
i'm in the beginning stages of developing my business. 3 months in and my profits are steady but lower than i'd like.

gonna need a lot of luck in this industry as there are so many people doing low voltage these days but it's my specialty
>>
>>1132902
I suck dick, make a grand a night easy. Invested money in a dude that makes molly and 4 different weed farmers. Paid off a couple of ogs so they got their guys watchin them. About to fake a lawsuit with a local legit money maker.
Cash in his pocket, publicity for him(all publicity is good cliche), and the only hit will be to his liability when they settle out of court for 750k. Itll be enough to make my money legit on paper in the end.
>>
File: image-1_640.jpg (209KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
image-1_640.jpg
209KB, 640x426px
I have an electronics engineering degree and spent the first couple of years after graduation working for some artists who wanted to do cool stuff with LEDs, lasers, animatronics, etc. The projects were a lot of fun but eventually I got pissed off that I was being paid so little and the artists took all the credit for my work.

The plan was to get a good paying job, get my own electronics lab setup, then do projects without those bastards taking all the money and media attention. That was five years ago. I've done a couple installations for music festivals, had my projects in galleries, and have an art residency coming up, so I guess I'm making progress, but I'm lost when it comes to how I'm ever going to do art stuff as a fulltime job.

I've got some money saved up to go back to school. I could get a Masters in electronics engineering, but maybe I should get an MBA so I can start a company doing the kind of projects I want. I'm also considering going into an "Industrial design" art school program. That's what the people who do the kind of work I wish I was doing usually did. It's hard to get an art grant if you've never been to art school.
>>
>>1132902
I think its a good idea.

Yacht people often do not have a car so you'd have to go pick up their shit anyway.
But on the otherhand, you will have to drive to the location more than once if you are unable to finish the job in a day.

If this is a mobile shop, you also need showroom space so clients can see pick out foams and materials. Not everyone is happy to look at seat fabric out of the the back of a van
>>
I have two business I want own in my life time. First one I just started, I produce briefs for high school debate. Basically my primrary customers are dumb people who think they are smart, buying shit they don't need and could easily make on their own. Capitalism 101.

Second is my retirement plan, a sandwich shop that serves hot and cold sandwiches, fresh made brownies, cookies, veggieburgers, hamburgers, cake, chips all made fresh instore daily. We will also offer delivery from opening at noon to 3 am. We'll as having beer, cigarettes, joint/blunts (god willing) for sale. I call it The One Stop Party Shop.
>>
>>1137003
>produce briefs for high school debate

Sorry if I'm being retarded but what the fuck does that even mean?
>>
>>1137393
You're good. If you are not in debate, it doesn't make much sense. Simple way to analogous it is we are like companies that produced play books for sports teams or sell packets of music for bands to play. Basically, we collect and formate pieces of research (think like published results of studies and academic writing) and then our own writing that explains how makes an argument as part of an advocacy that is responsive to a particular question we call the resolutions or the topic.

So like next year the topic is how should us reform its K-12 education system. Hella ways to do that, so I make money by providing people with creative ways to say yes and/or no the topic. You have to debate both sides over the course of like an 7 month season, so like other competitions you gotta have new strategies. Also hella teams through out the country.
>>
>>1137003
You sound like a recurring character in a series of lifetime movies.
>>
>>1132902
Well, anything ethical and legal.

Been highly considering a small bootleg equipment rental place out of my home until it can pay for an llc and turn my garage into a small store front.

Doubt there is much to be made here. And i know people tear shit up, but its a small town and i've been repairing junk equipment all of my life.

Was considering starting prwtty small with a few grand in shit i want and need anyway.

Like a little 25hp bumper pull trencher, tiller, log splitter like pic related, quickie saws, miscellaneous power tools with a good warrenty, etc...

Probably wont make much. But realistically if i can get my tools free than id consider it a sucess.

And the llc for a tax qriteoff would be huge if i can fire that up asap.

I dont know.

That and fix and flip cars but any ideas i have pay less than minimum wage and are not an assett like i want.
>>
>>1135464
Do yourself a favor and do heavy equipment deilse wok $$$$
>>
>>1135614
Genious. But peopled need to trust u with access to thier garages and shit. Also could put cans up. $10 per house per month. Once you got a route and a few hundred houses u could be sitting ona gold mine.

Or trolling?
>>
>>1136013
do you live in nyc by any chance?
>>
File: IMG_0515.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0515.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
To set up a recording studio in a Log Cabin 1hr from London to record, mix and produce, run a record label out of, podcast etc.

10 years in the game. Specialize in rap and urban music. AMA
>>
>>1137757
Like Frank...
>>
>>1137586
Nah, I'm like a 20 something American version of jim Lahey
>>
>>1137511
That's interesting, how do you get into something like that? Do you have a degree in political science to start with or are you just going for it?
>>
step 1 pick up guitar
step 2 learn guitar
step 3 ????
step 4 become rich
>>
>>1132902
Either buy steel and native (NZ) timber and make knives, or make durable, over-ear, customisable headsets/headphones, out of aluminium or fibreglass. With a BIG dial on the side for volume adjustment. Multiple models with various combinations of bluetooth, FM and AM radio, Shortwave, elektrosluch, sunglasses, etc. Detachable mic and cable with swappable sides for both == perfection.
>>
>>1132902

I plan on running a resort after college. Going to raise all sorts of animals and build the cabins around the perimeter of the pasture so that you can look out and see herds of elk or bison or even just plain cattle grazing off your back porch.

The game plan is to sell the meat I produce to make a small profit regardless so I'm not directly tied to the tourism industry for my livelihood. Entertained the idea of offering canned "hunting" opportunities, but that opens up a whole bunch of new headaches that aren't worth the effort.
>>
>>1137757
Fag
>>
>>1137925
Money for nothin' chicks for free
>>
>>1137940
that sounds great, I love the smell of shit and to pay money to look at cows
>>
>>1137992

I'm glad you like the idea, I took the idea from the hundreds of other businesses world wide who do the exact same thing so I can't take all the credit.

Perhaps you should just stay indoors if the outdoors isn't your type of thing.
>>
>>1138001
>hey I'm going to go spend some time in the great outdoors, for vacation.
>what's that?
>no, I'm not going to the seashore to hang out on the beech and go snorkeling
>or a wilderness to do some hiking and explore,
>I'm going to sleep in a little room on a farm like a goddamned slave
>>
>>1135546
Where the fuck do you live, where you can't find wine and mead at a store?
>>
>>1135546
>>Pretending like the mead train hasn't already passed.

This ship has set sail, man. Mead is literally everywhere now.
>>
>>1138061
I never said anything about wine...

>>1138072
name a large chain that carries it
>>
>>1138081

Walmart.
>>
>>1138132
I've been there
>>
>>1137753
Vancouver Canada. There's an art group near NYC I'll be working with for a few weeks next month. It's not paid; they just give me a a place to stay and a workshop.
>>
>>1133702
Look into getting certified for fire safety systems. Big money not much work and it's all low voltage minus a couple devices. Super easy work for a huge pay off.
>>
>>1138072
>>1138061
I've never seen it either and I've been to huge liquor stores looking for it. I've also looked at Wal-Mart.
>>
>>1133805
Good idea, you could call it "organic furniture"
>>
>>1138081
>name a large chain that carries it

I live in Minneapolis.

Total Wine and Spirts
Haskell's
Surdyks (Which isn't a chain but is a large popular store)
Walmart
It's in almost all of the small craft beer stores.

There isn't a huge selection, but it's not even remotely rare.
>>
>>1137858
Well, I have a communication degree. I have been in the debate community for nearly a decade now (9 years to be exact). I started at like 15 on my high school's team, since then I have become a coach.

So basically there was a pretty big market of file selling companies, up to about 2014. But then multiple companies either started shifting away from working on Policy Debate (which has the biggest research burden of any formate) to focus on less research intensive or just closed up shop. So from there I got a couple friends and we are doing this thing.
>>
>>1135464
>implying nobody else can buy/pirate a load of diagnostic software.
>>
Me and a few friends have been brain storming in a method to mass produced carbon nano tubes cheaply (comparatively). Them come the production of products from the material and experimentation which is our real and final objective.
>>
>>1133764
Serrated
>>
I'd like to get two things underway someday:

>just make tons of random shit, sell it to local shops for hipsters to buy (probably mostly customized computer peripherals, desktop trinkets/widgets, and stationery). possibly also either modify clothing, make small articles or accessories, or tailor things [spoiler]maybe make partial fursuits as well idk[/spoiler]

and

>build a small sailboat, find an uninhabited island near town, and erect a shitty mud hut and slowly improve it to be a livable primary place of residence (and workshop)

but I have jack fuck for tools because tools are expensive and there never are any on craigslist to snag on the cheap. even sewing machines are hard to find

>>1138747
this 2bh
it seems like the kind of person who wants that sort of service is gonna be an enthusiast who will do it themselves
and any old dude who's just got problems with his Civic will just go to their mechanic, who will have that same diagnostic software already
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.