[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TORX > HEX > JIS > POSIDRIV > PHILLIPS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 13

File: 57277029.jpg (23KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
57277029.jpg
23KB, 184x184px
TORX > HEX > JIS > POSIDRIV > PHILLIPS
>>
Robertson is best screw.
>>
>>1129759
As with many things, flat is best.
>>
File: hex-cap-screws.jpg (22KB, 404x203px) Image search: [Google]
hex-cap-screws.jpg
22KB, 404x203px
hex a best
and nature agrees
>>
>>1129769
loli trolu
>>
>>1129768
false. Your mom is.
>>
>>1129759
Why is torx such a hot new meme?

It's literally a security screw. It's specifically meant to be difficult to use and to break any tool you use on it that isn't from the manufacturer of the screw.

Hex sucks because it strips easily, both the key and the hole. But I guess it gets points since you can just grind down an allen key to get a fresh edge, unlike other drivers.

Roberson master race.
>>
flathead>everything
>>
File: 19343019.png (22KB, 381x400px) Image search: [Google]
19343019.png
22KB, 381x400px
>>1129850
>>
>>1129836
Security torx is a joke. Regular torx is good, a lot of surface area, hard to strip, isn't "foolproof" like phillips where it ruins the head before the bolt snaps.

Where do you even find robertson hardware? Only online?
>>
>>1129836
Hex strips easy?

I've broken a 5mm Bondus allen key before stripping the bolt.
>>
>>1129866
Apparently it happens relatively easily when you mix imperial and metric hex keys. Some of them are pretty close to each other.
Imperial hex sockets are also weaker to begin with. Dunno how much it really matters.
>>
>>1129858
He's not wrong. Any screw can become a flathead.
>>
>>1129772
Hex is only good if it has rounded edges so force is applied from the flats instead of corners.
>>
>>1129768
true.
Robertson is best screw. 12 point is best bolt.

In canada you get robertson everywhere. Americans dont see them because they are difficult pricks
>>
File: hexlove.png (72KB, 852x671px) Image search: [Google]
hexlove.png
72KB, 852x671px
>>1129868
it is 100% operator error. only ham fisted morons have a hard time with hex

metric hex is the most based you can get when it comes to fasteners

>>1129866
same, i snapped the ballend off my 3mm bondy the other day, head was still fine

>>1129888
its only for shitty wood screws

>only ever have a red #2 Robby
>it needs a #1
every fucking time
>>
>>1129836

hex is only going to strip if you are a mongoloid using imperial keys on metric bolts or vice versa
>>
>>1129759
>>1129772
TORX>HEX, because it's easier to damage shitty hex than shitty torx.
>>
>>1129907
>>1129915

Aaah, I now understand why I never had stripping problems I hear about on the internet. In Europe inch screws and wrenches are very rare, only used on imported specialty equipment.
>>
>tfw all my insert cutters are all torx 8

Fucking hate that shit
>>
>>1129917
its not

you can strip a torx by using 1 size to small a torx key, which is easy to do because of the close size between torx keys

metric allen keys cannot strip metric allen bolts by using the wrong size, by design metric allen keys cannot strip them selves
add to that the low depth contact area

torx are also designed to strip, which you then need an allen key to remove the stripped torx

only thing torx is good for is CNC inserts
hence why every other bolt on the CNC is a hex head
>>
Rule number one; never put a torx screw back in.

Torx a shit.
>>
>>1129772
button herx a shit

always rounds up

fucking shit
>>
>>1129915
>>1129866
Or if you just have shitty cheap keys like me. I've had some of mine straight up bend while I was trying to take apart an office chair that was done up with hex screws

>>1129888
>In canada you get robertson everywhere.
yeah
I don't think I've EVER seen a piece of non-ikea furniture that didnt do up with robertson screws
>>
When I was a young child my father had a screwdriver he brought home from work, and he called his magic screwdriver. It was obviously a flathead in a previous life, but he had filed the end into something new altogether, a driver that he claimed would turn ANY screw. I am currently 24 years old and I'm yet to find a screw this driver can't handle, no matter the shape, or the amount of stripping. I genuinely believe this screwdriver can never be replicated, not by any other man, or machine, one driver to rule them all. I know where it lives even to this day, in my dad's "various useful junk" drawer, in his kitchen, waiting for the next challenge, maybe even an old rusty allen bolt, who knows.

I love my father, but sometimes I sit up at night, wondering how much longer I have to wait. When I will get the call or the letter, informing me that I can finally claim what is mine, my birthright, and destiny. The greatest screwdriver that has ever been, and ever will be.
>>
>>1129919
Do you use exclusively tiny boring bars or something? T14 is probably the most common.
>>
>>1130642
>he didnt post a picture of this mythical screw driver
>>
>>1129850
Death would be to good for you.
>>
File: post-1649-0-65642700-1392826563.jpg (116KB, 1200x864px) Image search: [Google]
post-1649-0-65642700-1392826563.jpg
116KB, 1200x864px
>>1129907
>>
>>1129863
Robertson is a Canadian / NNA thing.

They strip almost as easily as hex, but for power-driving a million screws a day, I'll take them over philips any day. I just make sure to have a pocketful of bits.
>>
>import japanese motor
>M8 hex bolt has 12mm head
>>
Torx = ass
>>
>>1130862
I don't get it?
T. jap engine. They mark the bolt size on all the heads, super handy.
Would you rather they print the spanner size instead of the thread size?
>>
>>1130887
ISO and DIN standard for M8 metric bolts are 13mm, it follows a proportional standard, which is roughly 1.6 x the nominal d
so the math works out, that 12mm is almost never used in hex head sizes, making a 12mm wrench almost never used except in for fucking nippon and its JIS standard M8 bolt head

>>1130887
>they mark the bolt size on all the heads, super handy.

>all of my bolts are size M8.8 and M10.9
>>
>>1129759
I use nothing but clutch screws.
>>
>>1130899
kek this.
those markings are the type of bolt. they also have lines on them for another property. basically sometimes you need hard bolts, sometimes you need stretchy bolts, sometimes you dont need the 1$ bolt meant for a diy table to hold your fuel tank to the car.
>>
>>1130899
>no 12.9 bolts

Absolute pleb
>>
>>1130899
ISO and DIN standards don't match on larger sizes, though, so I'm not sure why you're singling out JIS.

Plus there are many cases in which all standards are ignored. For example 15mm has become common for M10 bolts in some applications, even though DIN standard is 17mm, ISO standard is 16mm, and JIS standard is 14mm. Four head sizes commonly used for one bolt size.
>>
>>1130942
WHAT??? Problems/issues/non-confirmity in the perfection that is... metric???
>>
>>1130942
it was more about explaining the post about M8 JIS spec, but you are right, hex cap bolt standards are in disarray, but i placew the blame on the auto industry

based socket head cap screws cant fuck with that standard
>>
>not having an adjustable or automatic wrench
Are you gay?
>>
>>1130862
The outer diameter of the thread is 8mm (ish). Seems pretty logical, what does the hex head size have to do with it since machine screws are available with just about any drive you care to name?
You would be here complaining why they called it M8 instead of T10 or PZ3?
Grasping at straws m8.
>>
>>1130975
Enjoy you're rounded bolt heads
>>
>>1130977
If you use an adjustable wrench properly, it's the best way to avoid rounding a bolt bar a 6 sided socket.
>>
>>1130977
idk man I've fucked up more bolts with solid wrenches ive borrowed than i ever have with my adjustable one

how are you going to round the bolt heat if you've adjusted the wrench to fit it perfectly? my automatic wrench has fucked up a couple of bolts in its lifetime but my adjustables have done literally nothing wrong
>>
>>1130981
>>1130984
Well most modern wrenches have off-corner engagement on the box ends which is always going to be the best choice next to a good socket. Also many wrenches like Wright and Snap-on have off-corner engagement and gripping features on the open ends, and they can basically sheer off any bolt before rounding it.

I was just trolling, but I still wouldn't use an adjustable if I had access to a set of dedicated wrenches. Even if you adjust it tightly, it's still going to engage the corners of the fastener head as you put pressure on it. They're still great for portable kits or low-mid torque projects with multiple sizes.
>>
I thought I was the pro of dismantling. I'm even an asshat elitist because I use torx and hex in projects because I like the look. But I was paid to fix a MacBook and it uses a Penta screw. Now that screw is shit
>>
>>1130976
you are misinterpreting my post, the anons above got it right
>>
>>1130993
Fucking macs. Even have to use hipster screws.
>>
Nails.
>>
>>1130993
Replacing my wheel hub/bearing on my audi this weekend and these fuckers used 12mm triple square bits to hold the hub on..
>>
>>1131687
Did you have trouble getting them out, or did you just not have the bit?
>>
Hex is best in macro scale.

Torx is best on small scale.

Posidriv for .. woodscrews?

The rest are shit

/thread
>>
>>1133030
>Hex is best in macro scale.
>Torx is best on small scale.

what the fuck does that even mean?
>>
>>1133031
The literal size of the hardware you're working with.

When using smaller pieces and you need to lock them tight i'ts better to use torx since it's harder to strip, with smaller pieces i mean electronics and small sized mechanical parts.

When using anything over 1/8" allen is easier to use, doesn't strip if you use the right size and you can just grind an allen key if that were to happen
>>
I'm retarded and don't come here, but i've been wondering: Why isnt there a screw type with a oval shaped slot?
>>
File: 5145be8.jpg (15KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
5145be8.jpg
15KB, 400x300px
>>1133204
it will strip if torqued and oval slots are difficult to make.
some security heads are reverse of your idea, as its easy to cast oval shape and make few screwdrivers with oval slots
>>
File: 662147-ProductImageURL.jpg (27KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
662147-ProductImageURL.jpg
27KB, 400x400px
>not having a threeway
>>
>>1133467
Absolutely heretical
>>
>>1133467
>Not even hybrid phillips-robertson

>Doesnt even have posidriv dents

Fug
>>
File: 32378_alt1.jpg (91KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
32378_alt1.jpg
91KB, 1000x1000px
Step aside, gentlemen.
>>
>>1129917
tell that to a corroded torx. torx fucking strips to all fuck in anything exposed outside. that's why you dont see them outside. those tiny little splines basically allow maximum corrosion at the gripping surface.
>>
>>1134309
Tell that to all the cars that use torx bolts on all kinds of exposed parts
>>
First time I've ever seen anime on /diy. I'm out.
>>
>>1134309
Except you see them in cars all the time, yes in the engine bay. I had pulled a few parts from rusted out junkers and torq were never an issue.
>>
File: there-was-an-attempt.jpg (12KB, 280x272px) Image search: [Google]
there-was-an-attempt.jpg
12KB, 280x272px
>>1134309
>>
>>1134309
exactly this
bullshit torx has soooo little mating contact surface between head and driver to begin with that any corrosion makes it hard to determin the driver size, as well as get any gripping with the proper driver

TORQUE LIMITING FASTENER
great idea, if you are installing fresh parts all day on an assembly line

i dont need a fucking torque limiting head when im trying to remove fasteners from a rusty shitbox
>>1134331
>anime on my chinese inspired image board
>>
>>1133467
That's perfection at its best. Any tool will work, maybe even you dick if you put enough torque
>>
>>1134462
someone got paid moneys to draw that picture
>>
Depends on the application. For example, if you have some 304 steel sheet metal with self clinching nuts there is a real danger that the nut could be ripped out if too much torque is applied, therefore using a philips head is most appropriate as it is going to cam out before the nut is ripped out.

That being said most aliens screws have no business existing for any other purpose than making money selling bits.
>>
>>1134163
What is the name of this head? I've actually put some thought into what the ultimate screw head would be and this is exactly what I came up with. The only problem with flathead is that it doesn't center. This solves that.
>>
>all this talk of screws
>not using a pneumatic impact and 3/4-25 x 4 lag bolts for everything
pathetic.
>>
File: security phillips.jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
security phillips.jpg
25KB, 400x400px
>>
File: FOZRYCRFOVXPHFK.MEDIUM.jpg (13KB, 300x346px) Image search: [Google]
FOZRYCRFOVXPHFK.MEDIUM.jpg
13KB, 300x346px
>Jews fear the Nazidrive bits

Lox Drive is clearly the superior choice, all the stability and strength of the Robertson with 3 times the contact surfaces.
>>
>>1136696
Not sure if it's a patented thing by Klein Tools or not, I've only seen Klein screwdrivers with this tip. They call it a combo tip. Works extremely well on electrical devices.
>>
>>1129917
Can you use a Torx bit in place of a hex key if the size matches?
>>
File: nlc010225-v6.jpg (261KB, 600x1101px) Image search: [Google]
nlc010225-v6.jpg
261KB, 600x1101px
>>1129759
>>
>>1138178
enjoy your stripped bits
>>
>>1134331
ah, but that's not just any anime
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.