[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DC Non-Cape Anthologies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: AC20.jpg (129KB, 848x525px) Image search: [Google]
AC20.jpg
129KB, 848x525px
Are any of the DC Silver Age Anthology books worth buying?

Shit like House of Secrets, House of Mystery, Unexpected, Witching Hour, Strange Adventures, etc. Are they worth tracking down?
>>
Flinch was top tier, why did DC never reprint it??
>>
>>95107613
DC's horror books are hit or miss.

There is good stuff (especially with the artwork) but it's buried with a lot of bad shit. What makes it harder though, for casuals, is that a LOT of the older issues can and do go for huge bucks (case in point, the first appearance of Swamp Thing in House of Secrets #92 and House of Mystery #179, the later is the very first comic book artwork by comic legend Bernie Wrightson)

If you can track them down, I would recommend picking up the various Showcase Presents books DC put out for the line. However, be warned that:

House of Mystery and Secrets both skip to when the book became a straight-up horror book (HoM starts with #174, HoS with #81) and the House of Secrets volumes go for big bucks, though DC has recently announced they are doing an omnibus for House of Secrets starting with #81.

Strange Adventures is generic sci-fi stuff with the occasional DCU serial (Atomic Knights and Deadman), which goes for big bucks.

Unexpected is so-so but it flipped back and forth between spy thriller and horror book so YMMV. That being said, there are about ten issues (#189-198) that can cost you a bit, since those issues featured what would have been the last ten issues of House of Secrets, which got canceled because of the DC Implosion.
>>
Most of the horror books were given the Showcase treatment, so buy a couple of volumes and from there, see if it's worth your time to track down floppies for the rest of the series.

I would note that some of the most notable serials from the anthologies (Deadman and I Vampire) were reprinted in stand alone TPBs
>>
>>95107613
Why Cobra Commander is a policeman?
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.