[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://comicbook.com/movies/2017/08 /06/transformers-animate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 15

File: Transformersanimatedfilmposter.jpg (35KB, 350x509px) Image search: [Google]
Transformersanimatedfilmposter.jpg
35KB, 350x509px
http://comicbook.com/movies/2017/08/06/transformers-animated-movie/

Hasbro has confirmed they're making a new animated Transformers movie.
>>
It won't be as fun, they're too self-aware now for it to have the same junk charm
>>
>>94503359
This
>>
>>94503359
did kids find it fun? I thought kids were horrified Optimus Prime and other favorites were killed off to make way for literal whos at the time
>>
>>94503451
Kids loved it. I was six when I saw it and I thought it was fucking awesome.
>>
File: scene-01011.jpg (896KB, 2560x1442px) Image search: [Google]
scene-01011.jpg
896KB, 2560x1442px
I assume a lot of people will be turned off when they hear it's part of the Bayformer universe.
>>
>>94503359
It also was made in a whirling storm of other cultural standards that made it what it was.

You'd never get that hair metal, or synth score, in without nodding and winking at the audience.
>>
>tfw new animated transformers movie won't have power metal soundtrack
>tfw there won't be another song on level of the touch
>>
>>94503549
Dare > The Touch
>>
>>94503340
It's only "animated" in the sense that its a Bayformers movie with no human characters.
>>
>>94503340
>set in bayverse

No thank you
>>
>>94503557
Instruments of Destruction > Dare
>>
>>94504464
mah nigga
>>
>>94503340
>mommy, why is Optimus being a hero and not killing everything?
>>
>>94503340
It needs this as the credits theme
>I am Opimus Prime
>Blah blah blah Till the day we all are one
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOhnKIVLzOw
>>
>>94503451
I think those stories about kids crying over Optimus are heavily exaggerated. When I was a kid my mom took me to watch the Transformers movie in the theater bare minimum once a week, every single week for the duration of its run (our theater kept it for like two months), and not once do I remember a single kid crying or walking out when Optimus died.

I think like one or two incidents must've happened somewhere and Hasbro got wind of it and blew the whole damn thing out of proportion.
>>
>>94503515
but will it be part of a larger Hasbro-universe, one that is colorful and about friendship and shit?
>>
>>94503340
Hopefully they use toonboom instead of flash
>>
>>94504863
>When I was a kid my mom took me to watch the Transformers movie in the theater bare minimum once a week

Now that's a good mommy
>>
>>94504464
Die Autobots!
>>
>>94504911
If ponies make lots of profits they might actually turn this into a 2D movie. Pretty sure this is the reason why they didn't state it directly.
>>
>>94504718
It's still punished optimus from bayformers
>>
>>94503340
>Hasbro has confirmed they're making a new animated Transformers movie.

I heard that Hasbro wants to build a "Hasbro Cinematic Universe". So this movie might be connected to the MLP movie.
>>
>>94503359
>It won't be as fun

Prowl fan here. It wasn't fun
>>
Anyone have the IDW G1 comic reading list?
>>
>>94504863
There was a big soccer Mom campaign. It wasn't a real problem just a loud minority bitching. I thought it was the greatest thing ever when I was 5.
>>
>>94504863
They hyped it up actually.

The TV commercial for the movie had the narrator literaly ask the audience "DOES OPTIMUS PRIME... DIE?!" And of course he does because why else would the commercial ask? Optimus Prime dying was a marketing coup.

Everything else is just revisionism.
>>
>>94503340

It's going to be set in Bayverse so it's already shit.
>>
File: 1420744858021.gif (3MB, 580x435px) Image search: [Google]
1420744858021.gif
3MB, 580x435px
>>
>>94503451
>>94504863
It happened, but the release doesn't seem to have been particularly wide - about 1,000 screens at peak in the domestic market, which is about 1/4 of current capacity. Compare that to 1986's hit Top Gun, which secured Tom Cruise in the popular consciousness as an action star and was the biggest hit of director Tony Scott's career; a few hundred more screens, but vastly superior gross.

While records from that far back tend to be incomplete, the disparity suggests that Transformers had far fewer showings, and so was seen by fewer patrons. Since not every kid was going to cry (especially if they'd already seen it, like this asshole), it's presumably a rare event.

I'm sure a lot of kids did cry about it - maybe not in theaters, but as a delayed reaction with some crazy roots in self-worth through ownership of chunks of plastic and attachment to a half-insane shouting car-man - but the franchise was only two years old, the animation was superior to anything previously used on the franchise, there were endless cool moments from start to (almost) finish, and it had a soundtrack that captured the zeitgeist of the era in which it released. So, yeah, most kids would probably have been happy with it.
>>
File: The Autobots, The.webm (335KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
The Autobots, The.webm
335KB, 720x404px
>>94504950
>>
>>94505462
>Prowl fan

why would you lie about a thing like that
>>
>>94506226
>Everything else is just revisionism.

The whole thing took off in the late 90s when message board became a thing. That's when the HATERED of Hot Rod/Rodimus full started and everyone trying to one up eachother started talking how they SCREAMED IN HORROR when they saw Optimus dying.

The simple fact is that it was character dying that killed G1, toy becoming SUPER SHIT it what killed it. Plus the fact that it was the 80s and having a toyline last more than a year was a miracle let alone 3-4 years like with Transformers. It would've died even if Optimus survived the movie.
>>
Isn't this going to be based on the Bay movies?
What's the point of even making this if we won't get best Decepticon, Soundwave?
>>
>>94504863

I was one of the crying kids
>>
>>94506292
Shockwave > Soundwave
>>
>>94506325
>Shockwave
The stay at home nerd of the Decepticons?
>>
>>94506349
>stay at home nerd
More like works behind the scene unnoticed in order to further his goals. It is only logical that he not reveal himself, like that genocidal zealot Megatron, so that he may continue his work without becoming hindered.
>>
>>94506381
Shockwave is basically a NEET.
>>
>>94506249
>but as a delayed reaction with some crazy roots in self-worth through ownership of chunks of plastic and attachment to a half-insane shouting car-man

The hilarious thing about transformers fans (well G1 fans really) is how they all have this imaginary version of G1 in their heads. Like when you ask them who Prowl is they will come up with this big ass explanation of who he is but then you watch the cartoon and he's like in it for 5 seconds and have maybe 3 lines? At most?

Yet his death is treated like the most tragic thing in the universe and when IDW gave him a personality the G1 fans screamed how it ruined Prowl and how it raped their childhoods.

And same goes for every popular G1 character like Sidswipe or Sunstreaker. None of them had personalities none of them had anything unique or interesting about them they were all the samey good guy with a quirky voice at best. Yet fans treat all of them like they were all these big epic characters with developed personalities.

It really comes down to fanon. They had the toys and they projected their ideas to said pieces of plastic and they treated their headcanon (that are in no way supported by an official source) as THE TRU LORE so to see the movie kill off pointless weight like that lead to them crying because they though Hasbro was killing THEIR characters and not toys that aren't on sale anymore.
>>
File: transformers-prowl.jpg (22KB, 620x356px) Image search: [Google]
transformers-prowl.jpg
22KB, 620x356px
>>94504950
>MFW
>>
>>94506288
Because I had his toy, faggot
>>
>>94504464
THIS.
>>
>>94506420
Jazz and Ironhide had distinct personalities. As did Bumblebee to an extent. Its not coincidence those characters became remembered.
>>
>>94506924

Also the reason why Decepticons are remembered more. Every character that had a gimmick is remembered. It's why the Dinobot remain one of the main vocal point of G1 transformers. Or Devastator.

Everyone remembers Soundwave because of the ejection gimmick and robot voice.

Everyone remembers Starscream because he's the screeching back-stabber

A lot of people remember Shockwave because he had a weird unortodox design.

But the point remains that the majority of characters were just meaningless background filler with zero personality and only the neckbeardest of the neckbeards can claim that Mirage or Gears are somehow iconic characters.
>>
I hope they find a way to work another Weird Al song into it.
>>
>>94506249
>crazy roots in self-worth through ownership of chunks of plastic

Pretty much all of the 40something fans that grew up with any toy-centric fiction have a rather insane borderline autistic obsession with toys and I can't figure it out.

I just don't get it, were 80s the autism decade? Every time any toy company does anything differently or changes anything even SLIGHTLY from how the same franchise was in the 80s these people cry out in horror like someone murdered their parents.

I don't get it. I'm nostalgic for a lot of shit but I never have this insane hulkout rage reaction to a company changing the character's eye colours or giving the character fingers instead of mitten hands.

What is it with 80s nostalgia that makes people so fucking angry towards anything new?
>>
>>94505208
A Punishe /Squirrel Girl crossover would be easier then a Horse Show/Transformers crossover.
>>
>>94507690
>Every time any toy company does anything differently or changes anything even SLIGHTLY from how the same franchise was in the 80s these people cry out in horror like someone murdered their parents.

Protip: This happens in any fanbase of any franchise. Look at Marvel/DC. People don't like it as a whole when you change classic designs too much. Thats why Bayformer's constantly gets shit on by real fans (well, besides being garbage movies).
>>
File: OP1_Riptcvr.jpg (125KB, 472x727px) Image search: [Google]
OP1_Riptcvr.jpg
125KB, 472x727px
>>94507801

No see I get that people bitch when iconic characters are changed so much that you don't recognize them anymore but here's the thing, the transformers fandom is NOTORIOUS for being mega autistic about this.

Most marvel fans when "ok yeah that's a good captain America" when the First Avengers costume was revealed. If that was teh TF fandom you'd hear nothing but non-stop bitching about how they ruined Captain America by not having him have literal tiny wings on his mask and how the fact taht he doesn't have them makes it look nothing like Captain America.

DC fans tend to like the Wonder Woman movie costume but if this was the Transfromers fandom you'd hear nothing but constant bitching how she looks nothing like WW.

I've seen people unironically say how pic related looks NOTHING like Optimus Prime.

The level of autism that exists in the Transformers fandom is only rivaled by the Sonic fandom and I genuenly don't know why.
>>
>>94508072

It's not just minor changes though usually. Think about it this way.

Bayformers Prime design is to Optimus Prime's design as FemThor is to Thor. It's so different as to literally be an entirely different character, but it's got the same name ("stolen" the name in some minds, same with FemThor), and thats why people get mad. It's the TF version of all of this new garbage Marvel's been pushing for years.
>>
>>94506249
I think it was a case of parents writing in to be offended on behalf of their kids more. There was obviously SOME contemporary backlash since Hasbro hastily ADRd G.I. Joe The Movie to spare Duke's life.
>>
File: Jazz-G1MT.jpg (223KB, 1148x796px) Image search: [Google]
Jazz-G1MT.jpg
223KB, 1148x796px
>>94508275
>It's not just minor changes though usually.

But it is holy fuck I'm not talking about Bayformers.

I'm talking about the months long bitchfest that exploded when MP Soundwave had yellow eyes instead of red eyes.

I'm talking the bitching that MP10 Optimus doesn't look enough like Optimus because he has grey tights and not white ones.

I'm talking the relentless bitching about how the movie autobot logo is different to the G1 logo somehow.

I'm talking about the non-stop bitching about how Prime Shockwave doesn't look like Shockwave because his gun is too big.

I'm talking about how fans explode in autistic rage when Ultra magnus has red tight and now white ones.

I'm talking about how Transformer fans have the tenancy to take MINUSCULE FUCKING DETAILS on an othervise 100% recognizable character design and treat them like they somehow ruined the entire fucking thing.

It's like complaining that the Colossus in the Deadpool movie is the wors piece of shit ever becase he doesn't have the yellow stripe costume and how he's nothing like Colossus when he's in every way that matters the most perfect live-action Colossus we've ever gotten.

I'm not talking about Bayformers who look NOTHING like any previous version of characters I'm talking about how in the Transformers fandom the left picture is somehow COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RUINED FOREVER character compared to the right one despite them objetively being the same fucking thing. And that's the thing about the Transformers fanbase that I don't get!
>>
File: 1413491009793.jpg (89KB, 500x421px) Image search: [Google]
1413491009793.jpg
89KB, 500x421px
>>94508533
I see you've made it through the meat grinder that is /toy/ and kept the better part of your sanity as well. You have my respect.
>>
File: Prowl vs Grimlock.jpg (175KB, 687x1020px) Image search: [Google]
Prowl vs Grimlock.jpg
175KB, 687x1020px
>>94506420
>Like when you ask them who Prowl is they will come up with this big ass explanation of who he is but then you watch the cartoon and he's like in it for 5 seconds and have maybe 3 lines? At most?
And? Any actual G1 fan will acknowledge that. Sunbow Prowl is a nonentity. If you ask them "what is Prowl's character?", the "big ass explanation" you get is them describing Marvel Comics' Prowl, or IDW Comics' Prowl if they're a newfag. He was actually really played up there, because Simon Furman LOVES him some Grimlock, and cast Prowl as the Cyclops to his Wolverine, and that's the dynamic people think of when they think of G1 Prowl. Even in IDW, they just slot Arcee into the Wolverine role.
>>
>>94508756
>Sunbow Prowl is a nonentity

Not if you ask the Sunbow fanatics which make up 90% of the G1 fandom.

They relentlessly hate both Marvel & IDW for ruining Prowl.
>>
>>94507504
I mean, Gears is kinda crap cuz he only has one personality trait: he's cranky. Huffer was cranky AND homesick, so, he was at least two-dimensional.

Mirage had the homesickness angle too, coupled with the fact he was an upper class twit. As you said, the gimmick of invisiblity + unique vehicle mode helped, but mostly he was popular for the same reason Thundercracker was: their bios mentioned them having doubts about their respective teams' causes, and even though that was only ever lightly alluded to in the cartoon, the idea that not ALL Decepticons are pure evil and not ALL Autobots are selflessly heroic was an interesting hook that's basically the root of all good modern TF fiction.
>>
File: 1410824461046.png (40KB, 142x204px) Image search: [Google]
1410824461046.png
40KB, 142x204px
>>94508756
The dialogue is ok but I really cant take the art seriously.
>>
>>94507690
Google "Sonic", "blue arms", and "Christian Weston Chandler". This isn't restricted to any particular decade or medium.
>>
>>94508533
I see this is your first entry into any kind of fandom. I also see you've not learned the most important lesson: To ignore 90% of it.
>>
>>94508072
>Most marvel fans when "ok yeah that's a good captain America" when the First Avengers costume was revealed. If that was teh TF fandom you'd hear nothing but non-stop bitching about how they ruined Captain America by not having him have literal tiny wings on his mask and how the fact taht he doesn't have them makes it look nothing like Captain America.
That is fucking exactly what happened here when the costume was revealed, holy fuck I can't wait for all the summer newfags to go back to school. Fandoms attract crazy autists of all stripes.
>>
>>94508991
>That is fucking exactly what happened here when the costume was revealed
>here
>4chan

Not that Anon but I don't think the autistic screech cave that is 4chan is in any way shape or form a good measurement of any fandom.
>>
File: truefax.jpg (192KB, 468x720px) Image search: [Google]
truefax.jpg
192KB, 468x720px
>>94508072
>two hours later...
>>
>>94506895
I'm sorry your parents did that to you, but this is your opportunity to end the cycle of abuse
>>
>>94508800
Boy, don't tell me what I think or what I "relentlessly hate."

t. Sunbow G1 lover who also likes comics Prowl
>>
>>94503340
>http://comicbook.com/movies/2017/08/06/transformers-animated-movie/

Its based off of Bay's shit, which means it will probably have the same horrid designs. Sigh... maybe this will all crash and burn so it can get rebooted in 15 years that I can watch or even look at still sof without wanted to stab my eyes out.
>>
>>94508948
You leave Andy Wildman alone.

(He was drawing them as Actionmasters, who were like atrophied transformer shaped people).
>>
>>94509036
And the autistic screech caves that are TFW2005 or wherever aren't a good measurement of TF fandom. Almost everyone who had any sense of the fandom left the boards a decade ago, regardless of how you feel about the Bay movies, it just wasn't worth dealing with the bullshit.
>>
Bayformer designs come from an era when everything had to look/be ''realistic''. G1 looking Transformers would have been laughed out of the theater as kids movies. This was the era of Nolan snobs.
>>
>>94503451
I cried my eyes out, but that's part of what made it memorable.
>>
File: Prime-1-Megatron-1.jpg (61KB, 583x720px) Image search: [Google]
Prime-1-Megatron-1.jpg
61KB, 583x720px
>>94509481

Not really, it was more of an era where adapting any children's property went wit "pfff who cares it's for retarded kids".

Bayformers is in the same mentality as the 80s MOTU adaptation, a loosely connected to the original thing that got a pass because that's how things were done then.

if they wanted they could've done a tacticool G1 and it would've still been accepted the same way the first Ironman was just a year later. They just didn't give a fuck.
>>
File: WHYNOTBOTH.png (683KB, 1280x1614px) Image search: [Google]
WHYNOTBOTH.png
683KB, 1280x1614px
>>94509481
>>94509574
In reality it was both, a loosely connected edgy design that had too much chemical realism poured in
>>
>>94506290
No the whole reason they even made the movie is because the g1 toys had already stopped selling. That's why the whole movie was about the new characters. It was a commercial, and all the old ones are killed in the opening reel.
>>
>>94507504
>only the most neckbeardiest of neckbeards can claim that Mirage or Gears are somehow iconic characters

The prime factor is whether or not you had the toys, who they were, and how many you had. Because then you read the little biography that came on the box, and when you spent hours playing with the toy that's who you role played him as, and there's a good chance he got dialogue in the comics, and so if he had any scene at all in the cartoon it stuck with you, because you were looking for that, and it spoke to you when it happened. My first transformer was a shitty little Huffer, and he had maybe one line in the first season, but I still remember the excitement of seeing it.
>>
>>94509645
>loosely connected edgy design

Bayformers design was as loose as a 90 year old Vegas whore. It might as well not even be transformers, given how abhorrently hideous and unrecognizable any of the designs were. Literally deviant-art tier trash.
>>
>>94506104
Yes, I have it.
>>
>>94509708

They didn't stop selling, Hasbro ran out of Diaclone & other Japanese toys to repackage and sell as Transformers so they decided that instead of buying obscure Japanese toys they could cut the middleman and just make the toys themselves.

Of course since this was their first attempt at creating toy that transform their product were VASTLY inferior to the japanese and even as a kid you could see that. The transformation were simpler, instead of realistic cars it was space "fuck you it's a car because I said so" alt modes, there was no diacast or rubber tires it just didn't feel right.

G1 Jazz or Sideswipe felt like nice toys. G1 Kup and Springer felt like shit. And that decrease in toy quality killed it more than the movie.

The fact that the animation quality of S3 also went SIGNIFICANTLY more to shit because the majority of the episodes were by AKOM also didn't help. Like everyone remembers BOT as being this SUPER BAD episode but really compared to the majority of S3 the animation of it look fucking great.
>>
File: wreckgaraccordion.gif (880KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
wreckgaraccordion.gif
880KB, 500x500px
>>94507516
me too
>>
>>94510456
fuck I forgot how good of a boy this guy was
>>
>>94505026
Maybe they can make a duet between Megatron and Pinkie Pie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-wHwyA1RGU
>>
>>94503340
I am cautiously optimistic.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.