[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jeff Lemire appreciation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 2

File: 5410567-jeff-lemire-headshot.jpg (365KB, 1000x613px) Image search: [Google]
5410567-jeff-lemire-headshot.jpg
365KB, 1000x613px
After the recent news that Lemire has QUIT Marvel, wanted to dedicate a thread to his wonderful works.

Post everything Jeff
>>
I just read the 15 issues of old man, it's actually pretty good and is making me miss Wolverine
>>
>>90538771

couldnt he say now to writing Xtraordinary X Men?
>>
File: IMG_2006.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2006.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>90538771
In a fan of his.

His moon knight has been great but seeing him leave marvel gives me hope he might start writing for dc again in a year or so
>>
>>90538771
I think Inhumans vs. X-Men was the last straw. That miniseries was a fucking dumpster fire.
>>
His run on Bloodshot has been like a cocaine laced blowjow for the mind. Really hope he doesn't leave the book anytime soon
>>
>>90538771
sweet tooth?

>>90539512
there is this theory that Lemire wrote DoX, and Soule IvX, because Lemire only did interviews for Dox, and Soule only for IvX.

another thing is, there is huge difference between DoX and IvX in terms of motivations and continuity.

Anyway, reading interviews with Lemire during his marvel era, he came off as a very distant, depressed person, who would rather be somewehere else. I feel bad for him

The fact that he quit marvel shows that he has both balls, dignity and honor, which is more than I can say about ewing, or soule
>>
>>90538771

Got out while he could. Smart man.
>>
>>90539580
It's one of the books that made me interested in valiant. It's really weird that he makes an excellent obscure book, and a mediocre mainstream book
>>
>>90539439
Is Descender any good?
>>
>>90538771
Overrated: the writer.

His Green Arrow was 7/10 and don't pretend otherwise
>>
>>90539789
that's a pretty high rating for "overrated"
>>
I feel like giving a "I know that feel" hug to Lemire
>>
>>90538771
When is the Black Hammer trade out?
>>
>>90538771
Most of work's garbage, especially the corporate stuff, but goddamn if Essex County isn't one of the best of all time.
>>
>>90539630
I think a lot of writers try harder on obscure characters because they want to be known for having the definitive run.
>>
>>90539642
Yeah. Beautiful watercolor interiors from Dustin Nguyen too. It has some pacing issues which is the Lemire special and is present in 90% of his works though.
>>
>>90539819
7/10 is not a high rating, especially if a lot of people are clamoring to call that thing 9/10. Remember, overrated does not mean bad or mediocre.
>>
>>90539895
Good thinking actually
>>
>>90539789
Nah, his GA was a solid 8 and thats really good.
Stop using vidya scores.
>>
>>90539933
Okay. I will remember.
>>
>>90539611
>I feel bad for him
He did it with his own hand.

>The fact that he quit marvel shows that he has both balls, dignity and honor
Don't make me laugh, it shows that he has become big enough that he can have several creator owned titles going at once.
>>
>>90539968
will he? I feel like working at marvel kinda tarnished his reputation, since I don't think people will care about his indie stuff, if they didn't enjoy his mainstream stuff.
>>
>>90539789
His Green Arrow was alright but I know a couple people who think it's better than Grell
>>
>>90540007
Are you retarded? Descender, Black hammer, Blodshot, Royal City. There's the upcoming comic with Hester and Roughneck.
> I don't think people will care about his indie stuff, if they didn't enjoy his mainstream stuff.
Well, yeah. He used Marvel as a launching pad, kinda like Remender.
>>
All I have of his is underwater welder, but it was stunning.
>>
>>90540087
Only time will tell, Bloodshot is not creator owned, and the rest is an unknown for me.
>>
>>90539845
You would have to fight Scott Snyder to hug him though.
>>
>>90540206
Snyder isn't a big guy.........
Is he?
>>
Dude hope he goes back to DC after focusing on his indie stuff for a while.

Royal City was phenomenal

his Bloodshot stuff with Valiant is fucking amazing too, and Black Hammer and I've heard nothing but good things about Descender. Need to read that

Fuck man, I love me some Jeff
>>
>>90540175
>for me
>>
>>90539090

I keep hearing this and generally like Lemire's stuff.... do I actually need to read this friggin run on a character i dislike the idea of even existing in regular continuity?

I'm thinking i probably do
>>
>>90540240
Nah, he's quite small. But Capullo is his blood brother so if you make Scottie cry, Capullo will fuck you up.
>>
>>90540278
well yeah, I'm an important guy. Everyone knows me.
>>
>>90540282
Don't bother, it's seriously bad.
>>
>>90539968
You realize that image books don't make money unless they sell extremely well right? Cutting himself off financially from his Marvel retainer is a ballsy move.
>>
>>90540305
I knew that there was a catch somewhere.
I remember seeing some photos of Capullo at gym, and he was really ripped. He looked like one of these 90s x-treme characters with all these veins and hair and muscles
>>
>>90540240
He's actually pretty fit but like >>90540305
said Capullo is his bro too.
>>
>>90540349
what hair lol
>>
>>90540383
I don't know maybe I just mis-remembered something
>>
>>90539617
He contributed to this shit with his shitty Extraordinady X-Men, Death of X and IvsX
>>
>>90540337
First of all, his comics sell extremely well, that's why he's got like 4 at Image.
Second of all Descender has been optioned for a movie, an I don't know if you're aware of how things work, but he's already gotten money off of that, if the movie gets made, he'll earn even more but as it is he's already gotten good money for the rights. Writers get paid for writing scripts that never get made all the time in the live action movies/series business.
>>
Cape wise i've only read GA and TT:EO and they were ok.

His non-cape stuff usually ranges from good to pretty incredible, especially Essex County and Sweet Tooth. I liked #1 of Royal County and I'm excited for more really fits in with Essex County.
>>
>>90540436
Death of X actually wasn't really that bad, because it portrayed inhumans in a negative light. There is a rumor that DoX was only be Lemire, while Soule did IvX by himself
>>
>>90540337
>You realize that image books don't make money unless they sell extremely well right?

What? Image books make their creators more money than big two books. Why do think most of the bigger names have left the big two in the last couple of years.

A creator with two or three Image books selling around 10k can earn more than they on some of the highest selling big two books.
>>
>>90540573
Yeah, I got to agree that Death of X wans't bad.

The problem was that what Scott did there was'nt like the "CYCLOPS IS HITLER" shit that everybody was talking about in the X-Books
>>
>>90540337

Image books make their creators more money off fewer sales.

Marvel/DC play a flat rate per page (for artists, not sure what they do for writers, I assume they make money off the whole script, not per page).

so if an artist at Marvel makes $250 per page, at 20 pages per book, thats 5k per issue. Depending on the split and production costs, an Image book needs to sell maybe 5k issues to get that much money.
>>
>>90540784
Maybe it was Lemire's final jab at marvel? Who knows? It's not like editors are doing their jobs there. There is however, a huge difference between DoX and IvX in terms of characterization and story, especially that IvX sort of retcons DoX and negates this mini-series
>>
>>90540251
What could DC offer him? GA is already well taken care. Maybe one of the Superbooks? We know he stinks on team books.
>>
>>90541057
Lemire's a big fan of the LoSH

I also think he'd be well suited to a Booster Gold or maybe...dare I say it...Swamp Thing.
>>
>>90540337
>Kieron Gillen writes:

>I’ll give you some really basic rule of thumbs for indie comic commentary:

>Anything selling stably over 10k in single issues is a cause for celebration and joy. The creators are almost certainly extremely happy.

>If you’re selling over (ooh) 12k, you’re probably making more than either of the big two would pay you, unless you’re one of the very biggest names.

>If you’re selling anything near 20k, you probably have to buy drinks for your friends.

Even if they don't sell 10k, they can still be profitable around 5k. The profitability threshold is lower than you think.
>>
>>90540087
You clearly don't know what you are talking about considering Fear Agent was the only thing of note that Remender had done before working at Marvel (which had died before he got the popularity/connections to relaunch it when he was working for Marvel). Lemire on the other hand was well established as an indie darling with comics like Lost Dogs and Essex County under his belt before he ever worked for the big 2. He then did Sweet Tooth for Vertigo (DC) and then made his bones as a cape writer with titles like Animal Man and Frankenstien for the New 52. The choice to move to Marvel was likely a financial one first, and a creative one second (he had been saddled with titles he clearly couldn't handle at DC, team books mainly, which Marvel then went and gave him similar titles, which is likely why he quit)
The two are obviously very different. I think it's immature and stupid to say that Remender was using Marvel as some kind of launch pad for his career because he very obviously loves characters like the Punisher or Deadpool judging by his writing. He doesn't owe you shit, and he stayed at Marvel (I think without an exclusive deal) until he didn't want to anymore.
>>
>>90538771
But he didn't quit, his contract expired.
>>
Decent writer, absolutely atrocious artist who hasn't improved in all the years he's been at it.

Trillium sucked balls
>>
I liked his Animal Man. Sweet Tooth was entertaining too.
>>
>>90539819
"Overrated" is a meaningless buzzword anyway. People should judge things based on their own qualities, not by how they stack up to public opinion.
>>
>>90539895
I think it's more that editors will let you have more control over them.
>>
>>90541625
Calm down, sperglord. Marvel comics get more critical acclaim. A lot of creators build a name at Marvel and then go full Image.
>>
>>90540337

I case you hadn't heard.... Ryan Reynolds is trying to get a movie version of Underwater Welder into production.

He'll be fine.
>>
DC should come to him and say "hey, we'll let you do one book, any character you want that isn't currently in an ongoing, with minimal editorial influence and guaranteed 12 issues".

Hell Marvel probably should too, seeing how big their talent problem is right now.
>>
>>90539611
I feel like Lemire (and even Soule) expected working at Marvel to be some dream come true. And being put on the THE X-Men? Shit has so much potential.
But with so much editorial mandate constantly changing their minds (Cyclops is Hitler/Cyclops was not Hitler, Inhumans are goood/evil/good/, and repeating decimation). Honestly, they came in to Marvel at the absolute worst time.
>>
>>90542754
I don't know about Soule, but Lemire's a DC guy. He signed a Marvel exclusive for the money and fame.
>>
>>90538771
His animal man is god tier, plutona was fun, moon knight starts great and gets stale after the first arc, great art tho, his x men is atrocious , and justice league united is super boring but had to read it because it continues buddy's story
>>
>>90540282
>>90540327
If you're a true Wolverine, or even X-Men fan, you standards are already ridiculously low. It's a pretty good read.
>>
>>90542874
>plutona was fun
lol wut?
>>
>>90538771
>/co/ only pays attention to Lemire when he leaves a company they hate

This level of autism is intense
>>
>>90541431
No LOSH. He is shit at team books. I'd rather see him replace jurgens on Action.
>>
>>90542891
I like stories of kids dealing with dark shit a lot, just something personal
>>
>>90542891
It was wasted potential, nobody took advantage of her while she was unconscious
>>
>>90538771
he did a good Green Arrow run

just stay away from team books

IVX was shit though
>>
>no talk of underwater welder

Filthy big2 shits the lot of you
>>
>>90542939
>I like stories of kids dealing with dark shit a lot,
Me too, but that comic was real shit.
>>
Lemire back at DC writing nuHellblazer WHEN?
>>
>>90543067
Hero vs is hero is always guaranteed to be shit
>>
>>90543284
>Hero vs is hero is always guaranteed to be shit
What about Green Lantern/Green Arrow when they sometimes got into physical fights about politics but it's regarded as a classic, fantastic series?
>>
>>90543144
It's getting made into a movie so you'll get to have plenty of Underwater Welder threads with /tv/ soon enough.
>>
>>90543510
that's a team up book. argue/fight for half of it then punch stilt man in the dick

hero vs hero is heroes fighting each other the whole way through
>>
I liked his Superboy
>>
How does this sound?

Lemire doing an Etrigan book
>>
>>90543245
Hopefully never.
>>
>>90543831
Not that good. He excels at writing family and kids. I'd like him on Booster Gold or Metal Men.
>>
>>90543927
His Frankenstein was deeeeeeecent. I think he could make the lesser known DC characters POP like he did Animal Man and Frank.

I'd love to see him on a lanterns book though
>>
Extraordinary was garbage.
Moon Knight was totally unnecessary and pales in comparison to the Ellis run.
Not to mention his Thanos book is crap.

I haven't read anything else by Lemire, is it just bad luck that everything I've read so far is bad?
>>
>>90542796

he didn't really even need the "fame" as you say, (not sure how doing 2 years on a sinking ship would bring him fame). he had a number of solid books under his belt before he signed a Marvel exclusive.
>>
>>90541556
Gillen must be raking in dough from those Wic+Div hardcovers
>>
>>90542881

>liking a character in general, when that character is in a slump and you haven't read the new books, means your standards are low.
>>
>>90544736

His cape comic work is his less good stuff, excusing his n52 run on Animal Man.

check out Sweet Tooth, Underwater Welder, or Essex County.

or.... If you're Canadian, read Secret Path, a book he made with Gord Downie of the Tragically Hip.
>>
>>90544982
glad to hear that I'm not crazy for thinking his capeshit was mediocre, I'll check out his indie stuff (and Animal Man, after I've gone through Morrison's run)
>>
>>90545274

His art style isnt for everyone but its hard to argue when he's left to do what he wants he can make some really good stuff.
>>
>>90539642

It's Saga meets AI, with many of the perks and pitfalls you can imagine.
>>
>>90538771
https://youtu.be/9g3--WYH8SY
>>
>>90541653

His art normally fits the stories he tells. So not great art in an odd style that works.

Trillium played with how you read comics in fun ways. But the story wasn't great, and it has to be a bitch to read collected. Other than thay it was simply okay. Most writers would love to write something that good. But it wasn't great.
>>
>>90543510

That's two friends being retarded to each other. There was never a real threat to it. They were always going to be able to buy a beer at the end of it.
>>
>>90544736

All of his independent work ranges from good to amazing.
>>
>>90544982

"read" secret path he says
>>
>>90538771
bit out of the loop here, i've heard that lemire was on the way out with marvel, but not why. did he quit before his exclusive with them was up? what was his reason for quitting?
>>
>>90550424
I think he had a two year contract with them that expired, and he is using it to jump ship. Bleeding Cool (because of course it was them) reported it first, and then later did an update about rumors that Rich heard at ECCC (Emerald City Comic Con). According to Rich, the creative staff who took over his books (so far just the team of Old Man Logan) were told that he was fired, which does not jive with what it sounds like happened.

BleedingCool "source" for the firing:
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/07/yes-marvel-jeff-lemire-quit/

Lemire did say on twitter that he is focusing full time on his indies now, and that "Marvel, Axel etc. were great to me, just want to do my own thing for a bit"
>>
>>90538771
I don't hate him, but the guy's fucking average AT BEST.
Sweet Tooth was *good* and his Top Shelf (forgotten the name of it--Essex County!) comics were actually okay (the "superhero" kid with the old Ice Hockey player was golden) but his art always seemed kind of hacked-out and lazy to me. I always think of Matt Kindt when I think of Jeff Lemire, for some reason.

Is Underwater Welder REALLY that good?
>>
>>90548802

Or listen, or both.
>>
>>90539642
Its good. You should read it in trades, though.
>>
>>90550527
interesting. his marvel books were some of the few that didn't really vibe with the whole "progressive" virtue signaling directive going on with marvel. i wonder if that had anything to do with it, a lot of people probably think so. it really seemed like marvel was mostly letting him do what he wanted as far as storytelling went.
personally, i think it was like someone else in this thread mentioned, writing for marvel is one of those dream job bucket list things you check off in your career as a comic creator. now that he's done it, time to move on.
>>
>>90550570

For someone who's such an alt comics hipster... i'm shocked you're shitting on lemires art when you have comics made of stapled photocopied comics on your SHELF.

Essex County is fantastic, especially if you're from Canada.
>>
His best work is his non-cape shit, in fact that goes for most writers.

>>90550570
I would say he's above average and he's good at his niche. Just like how Ennis was proficient at friendship/war comics, Lemire is good with the broken family/outsider dynamic. Who are some of your fav writers? Lemire's on my list of always check out besides David Lapham, Jason Aaron, and Ed Brubaker.
>>
>>90538771
worst X-Men writer since Waid, good riddance.
>>
>>90544068
His Frankenstein was not good. Huge disappointment.
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.