[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /co/, we've had a lot of fun shitting on Chelsea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 10

File: marjorie liu.jpg (302KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
marjorie liu.jpg
302KB, 1024x681px
Alright /co/, we've had a lot of fun shitting on Chelsea Cain, Kate Leth, whoever the fuck wrote America #1, etc.

What are some genuinely good female comic writers?

Because I'm genuinely enjoying Monstress and I want it to get more traction
>>
>>90483185
Gail Simone
>>
>>90483185
>14 IAFD credits
>>
>>90483185
Came here to post this
>>90483217

I only wish she hadn't been convinced to write Batgirl for Nu52, it was really disappointing (though LEAGUES better than what came after).
>>
>>90483185

Kathryn Immonen also produced a couple of good books. And post-2000 Ann Nocenti may be a dumpster fire, but she did write a very good Daredevil run way back.
>>
>>90483185
I dunno if I'd really call Liu good so much as passable. However, she's a technically proficient writer who is genuinely passionate about comics. So that automatically makes her better than two thirds of the assholes writing books today.
>>
G. Willow Wilson.
>>
>>90483185
Ann Nocenti.
>>
>>90483316

I'd say Wilson is good on certain types of books and bad at others.
>>
File: liu.jpg (25KB, 521x162px) Image search: [Google]
liu.jpg
25KB, 521x162px
>>90483295
>who is genuinely passionate about comics
She's just a dumb bitch trying to make a buck.
>>
>>90483337
Has been.
>>
Anytime we mention Liu I'll mention that she used to run an old site and write Wolverine/Jubilee fanfic.

The site is still up, I think, but the fics are gone.
>>
Castellucci's Shade is fantastic

I like Elaine Lee's Starstruck
>>
>>90483387
I'm not gonna crucify someone for a dumb opinion. I can understand why an Asian person might feel that way. And I can't really expect a 90's kid like Liu to have any real investment in Danny Rand's character.
>>
>>90483505
if anyone could find them, I'd really appreciate it
>>
>>90483570
I read her Ragman mini, it was good(not as good as the GIffen/Fleming/Broderick mini but still). Didn't do much comic work though it seems.
>>
>>90483505
I'm sure a lot of writers have written fanfiction
>>
>>90483578
It's not a dumb opinion, it's retarded point of view. This is also the person that was singing Bendis' praise for making Iceman gay and claiming she totally wrote him in the closet all those years before. She's jut another agenda pushing retard and if her writing was any great then she'd get a pass but it's passable at best.
>>
>>90483598
http://www.wolverineandjubilee.com/

Fics are gone.
>>
>>90483633
except one of the greatest space sagas ever published in the medium
>>
>>90483570
Castellucci should be the one advertised for Shade being a first time "all-woman team" instead of Ms. America
>>
>>90483185
Holy shit, she's stunning for a comic writer

They're usually not a photogenic lot, even Morrison has the resting bitch face and Geoff Johns has crazy eyes
>>
>>90483368
Sounds like every writer ever.
>>
>>90483756
I thought Hellcat was advertised as such?
>>
>>90483756
DC doesn't do a press conference everytime they hire a woman and make it a special occasion
>>
>>90483757
she's ayy lmao as fuck, possibly inbred.
>>
>>90483815
No, she's a hapa, that's what they look like.
>>
File: IMG_2509.gif (1MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2509.gif
1MB, 500x500px
>>90483387
Not too familiar with Iron Fist but wasn't he white when he was created to begin with?

Not a troll but genuinely curious
>>
>>90484538
Yes, that's why what she's saying is so retarded.
>>
I know /co/ hate her, but I really enjoyed Earth 2 , Batwoman and Anymosity from Bennet

And Bombshells is okey i guess
>>
>>90484538
Yeah, but it wouldn't be absurd if he was asian in an alt universe. Danny's story is about being an outsider both in Kun Lun and outside it. Him being white is a great visual tell for that aspect, but Asian cultures hate other Asian cultures, so it isn't necessarily needed. Personally, if they had race swapped him, Middle Eastern would've made the most sense.
>>
>>90485176
I think that's just the problem of adapting a 40 year-old comic.

Back in the 70s Iron Fist had to be a white guy to get white people to read him. Now, we've got a genuinely cool character that a lot of liberals aren't going to touch because his origin seems racist.
>>
>>90483217
I only liked her Secret Six.
Haven't enjoyed anything else she put out.
I really enjoyed Secret Six though
>>
>>90486135
>Back in the 70s Iron Fist had to be a white guy to get white people to read him.
Do you even Shang Chi
>>
>>90486135
>a lot of liberals aren't going to touch because his origin seems racist.

lol who gives a fuck
>>
Emil Ferris has put out the book of the year so far with My Favorite Thing Is Monsters
>>
>>90486205
Yeah, but nobody read Shang Chi; it only ran for 125 issues along with a paltry handful of specials and giant sized issues.
>>
>>90486543
Comics nobody reads don't get published for ten years. It had a good run (a great run by current standards), but the kung fu craze died out in the 80s and that was all there was to it.
>>
>>90486135

The same liberals that aren't buying comics anyway? Fuck your opinion, you right side of the history nonsense.

>we can't appropriate culture guize
>>
>>90483185
Marvel hiring shit female writers is making it harder for actual women who know how to write to break in into comics since all people are going to think is that they can only write Hellcat, Mockingbird, America tier shit.

Also when was the last time you had a female writer not write a female led ongoing? Simone in Deadpool? Seriously.
>>
>>90483185
Katie Skelly is GOAT.
>>
>>90487641
Cloonan on Punisher, brah.
>>
>>90483185
Louise Simonson is a good writer, she us also the co-creator of Power Pack and Apocalypse.
>>
>>90487663
I was going to say, was that good? I stopped at Rucka's run for money reasons.
>>
>>90485023
She's mostly a meh writer for me, she makes decent stuff but she's not terribly interesting or a must read writer.

She is certainly not as bad as Cain, Leth, or Rivera but she really reached their low levels with Angela Queen of Hel.
>>
>>90487785
It started off dumb and boring and now it's just medicore.
>>
>>90483185
Cecil Castellucci's Shade the Changing Girl has been a pleasant surprise.
>>
>>90486135
That's extremely wrong. Companies didn't figure out how to get away with white guy martial artists yet.
Marvel already had their martial artist characters. Iron Fist was just them trying something new.
While you were incredibly wrong you did at least highlight why Danny has problems nowadays. Idiots including yourself automatically assume he was a white guy to get white people to read him when the reality is that he was just a white guy.
>>
>>90486747
I was joking, anon, I'm literally reading it right now.
>>
>>90487863
The worst thing about her is that everyone sounds the same. All of the Bombshells have exactly the same tone and voice.

>>90487928
I really hope DC is willing to take a bit of a hit to continue that, because sales are now at 11K for issue #5
>>
>>90483185
Louise Simonson? She literally wrote the best Cyclops pre 90s
>>
Genevieve Valentine had a pretty good Catwoman run and I wish she got a crack and some other property
>>
>>90488613
It's my understanding that she moved on to write bad Xena comics.
>>
>>90483185
>female comic writers
>good
>>
>>90488715
I think her name recently came up in something Batman related recently. I'm trying to remember what now
>>
>>90488840
She was a part of BRE and she wrote a couple of the more tolerable issues
>>
>>90488510
>I really hope DC is willing to take a bit of a hit to continue that, because sales are now at 11K for issue #5
Lee recently said that they're willing to continue it (the imprint) as long as Way is involved. Way really could help with marketing but he does fuck all.
>>
>>90488940
Figured it out, upcoming issue of Detective Comics:
DETECTIVE COMICS #957
Written by GENEVIEVE VALENTINE and JAMES TYION IV • Art by CARMEN CARNERO • Cover by ALVARO MARTINEZ • Variant cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE

“The Wrath Of Spoiler”! Stephanie Brown wants nothing more than to save Gotham City from the epidemic of costumed vigilantes and madmen that regularly tear the city apart. But before she can try to stop them, she must face the challenge of one in particular: the insane idealogue the Wrath is back, and Stephanie knows what he has planned—but she refuses to let Batman risk more lives to stop him. That means it’s all on her…and a very unlikely ally!
On sale MAY 24 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

>>90489003
Way actually alluded to that in the most recent "Hey Everybody" installment
>>
>>90487760
Yeah I cant think of any other female writer that writes comic books like comics should be and not some weird agenda pushing.
>>
>>90486543
Wasn't Shang-Chi outselling Iron Fist?
>>
>>90489330
Jo Duffy was also pretty decent, she wrote Punisher, Power Man and Iron Fist, and Balent's big-boobed Catwoman solo.
>>
>>90489657
>Balent's big-boobed Catwoman solo.
that shit wasn't any good.
>>
I like Mariko Tamaki's comics.

>>90483570
>>90487928
Came here to post this, Shade's all-female team is the best. I'll read anything else any of them do.
>>
File: 34163-4955-38147-1-catwoman.jpg (44KB, 400x612px) Image search: [Google]
34163-4955-38147-1-catwoman.jpg
44KB, 400x612px
>>90489698
>>90489657

>Search for Jo Duffy Catwoman
>cover pops up

hahahahaha
>>
>>90489698
It was goofy fun.
>>
File: dame darcy meat cake.jpg (575KB, 1162x1600px) Image search: [Google]
dame darcy meat cake.jpg
575KB, 1162x1600px
there's a ton of talented female cartoonists
Leslie Stein, Julie Doucet, Lynda Barry,
Renée French,Sylvie Rancourt, Lucy Knisley, Isabel Greenberg, Emil Ferris,Kate Beaton, Vanessa Davis, Kim W. Andersson, Carla Speed McNeil, Marzena Sowa, Posy Simmonds
>>
Topanga's hot roommate from Boy Meets World is going to be writing an issue of All Time Comics for Fantagraphics
>>
>>90487641
>since all people are going to think is that they can only write Hellcat, Mockingbird, America tier shit.

only a moron would think this anon.
>>
>>90489089
>steph is going full-retard and over-complicating simple things
Just like old times!

I really wish they would give us a Stephanie Brown/Cassandra Cain team book, there are too many fucking batfamily characters in Detective right now. Plus it would be a female-led book starring an Asian-American woman, what's the downside?
>>
>>90490250
Who is that? Also isn't Bayer penning every issue?
>>
File: $_58.jpg (79KB, 494x640px) Image search: [Google]
$_58.jpg
79KB, 494x640px
>>90490175
You forgot the classic Marie Severin, she could draw as well as many of the big names of late 60's early 70's. Love her Submariner work.
>>
>>90483387
This is pretty dumb

I remember her seeing her using the fact that they changed Nick Fury's race for the movies as a point to make Iron Fist Asian
>>
>>90483292
>Kathryn Immonen
Came here to say this. Loved her Hellcat and Journey into Mystery
>>
>>90486175
Her Red Sonja is the last recent good thing she's done.

I liked her Wonder Woman. Her Birds of Prey is good. She needs good artists to make her work good, otherwise it comes off as cringe. The artist in Batgirl really, really wasn't right for her.

She's only really awful when she goes full politics like Batgirl, that fucking The Movement thing. She's a mixed bag.

Don't expect anything decent out of her in the coming years though, she's on the 'I won't work on a book without queer or POC because TRUMP' train. Ugh.
>>
>>90492276
just pair her with a south american artist who knows how to draw sexy, busty women without thinking about sexism and she'll be fine
>>
>>90493049
Her latest book contains a shit load of nudity (and body horror)
>>
>>90483387
Pretty funny considering she's half white herself. Really there are very few things funnier than mulattos who try desperately to reject their white half thinking the ethnic half of their heritage will ever accept them.
>>
>>90483185
Love her X-23 run
>>
>>90491674
nevermind, she's going to be in a short film adaption?

>Samuel Bayer also recently announced his ALL TIME COMICS short film starring LaMonica Garrett (DESIGNATED SURVIVOR, SONS OF ANARCHY) as the title character in ALL TIME COMICS, CRIME DESTROYER #1. Denise Schaefer, who has modeled in campaigns for GUESS and Marciano, stars as Bullwhip opposite punk rock icon Steve Jones (The Sex Pistols; The Professionals) appears as her enemy. Rounding out the cast are Maitland Ward (BOY MEETS WORLD), Jackie Chan’s stunt crew, and acclaimed Stunt Coordinator Eddie Braun (THE AVENGERS).
>>
>>90483633
I didn't know she wrote a ragman mini.
>>
>>90492276
She's currently writing clean room, you pleb.
>>
File: Snotgirl_04-1.png (306KB, 300x461px) Image search: [Google]
Snotgirl_04-1.png
306KB, 300x461px
Since we're talking good female comic writers, are there any opinions on Snotgirl and Leslie Hung? I enjoy her art and wouldn't mind reading a comic featuring it, but I have no clue how she is as a writer.
>>
>>90488405

Bro, if you did an ethnic character in the 70s, his entire shtick had to be super ethnic, as it was a selling point and a gimmick. Look at Luke Cage. Even Shang Chi originated from being just a Fu Manchu license derivative after Marvel failed to get the license to do comics for David Carradine's Kung Fu show.
>>
>>90483217
This but it really depends on the title

The Clean Room is pretty damn great.
>>
>>90483578
It'd be valid if Shang Chi wasn't a character that didn't already exist and could have a similar story told if Disney really wanted to target Asian demographic.

But hey, fuck white people or whatever.
>>
She looks like THAT? Holy heck, she's so pretty.
>>
>>90483185
Becky Cloonan
Cecil Castellucci
Nancy Collins
Margaret Atwood (At least for Angel Catbird being fun)
>>
>>90497449
Oh and forgot to mention Emily Carroll
>>
>>90483185
Genuinely good? I can't really think of any to be honest... I mean
Liu is crap
Simone is hit and miss and even when she's good she's not amazing
Immonen does nothing for me, she's the typical mediocre comic book writer just... female.
Wilson is terrible
Nocenti is hit and miss and has been in and out of comics, her body of work is too small. She does have some really good stuff though.
Castelucci hasn't done much comic book work. Loving Shade but I need to check out some more of the stuff she's done
Cloonan I've only read Gotham Academy and Punisher from and they were not very good
Mariko Tamaki's This One Summer and Skim were good but the first issues of Supergirl and (She)Hulk were not good.
Nancy Collins did little comic book work. Her Swamp Thing is underrated though, better than Veitch or Millar's runs.
Jill Thompson is good but, again, not amazing.
Women should stick to drawing.
>>
>>90486307
its not even out yet...?
>>
>>90489460
I believe so yes. Danny sales were tanking, so he was joined with Luke to revive them both.

>Hardly anybody mentions that, though.
>>
>>90493374

Of course, she's blatantly wrong here.

But it's really the fact that deviations from whiteness are more easily a talking point than deviations from non-whiteness. Although you might be a "whitey" in a black neigborhood, the fact remains that in popular culture non-whites are perceived as a form of deviation, underlined by the fact that we even have PC guidelines for casting or jobs.

So being sensitive about white portrayals of non-whites is more reasonable than to be sensitive about the portrayal of whites as non-white. People of color in leading roles should be daily business and not even be perceived as something special.
>>
Jessica Abel
Lynda Barry
Alison Bechdel
Gabrielle Bell
Dame Darcy
Debbie Drechsler
Joyce Farmer
Renée French
Julia Gfrörer
Sarah Glidden
Phoebe Gloeckner
Roberta Gregory
Megan Kelso
MariNaomi
Leslie Stein
Carol Swain
Carol Tyler
Mickey Zacchilli
>>
>>90497528

I would be interested what kind of readers like their stories. If there's a genuinely "female" quality that is appreciated primarily by women or if that's actually bullshit and /co/ is just a really flawed sample for the general comic reader population (which we all know it is). I mean, at least for movies there have to be controlled experiments for this, right?

Also, Shade the Changing Girl by Cloonan is pretty great, might be my favorite book from the Big 2 lineup right now.
>>
>>90497576
It is
>>
>>90486205
>>90486543
>>90486747
Then why is Marvel not pushing him if he was really popular back in the day? It's not like his dad's name HAS to be Fun Manchu
>>
>>90487760
took far too long for Simonson to be mentioned
>>
>>90489330
>>90498859
Yeah, lady deserves more recognition, she wrote one of my favorite versions of Cyclops after Maddiegate
>>
>>90498857
Because of the "Asian characters are either martial artists or scientists" trap and it seems like it'd be more difficult to adapt it to the modern day, considering Shang Chi's whole thing is rooted heavily in 70s martial arts movies.
>>
Surprised no one mentioned Lauren Monger, her Clementine comics are always popular when they get storytimed here.
I also love Anya Davidson myself, but that's way weirder.
>>
Jan Duursema writes entertaining, serviceable comics, but, yeah, I can't think of any women who are brilliant at writing them. They excel more at pencilling and coloring.
>>
>>90498806
Cloonan is only doing covers on Shade, dum-dum.
>>
>>90483570
>Elaine Lee
Starstruck is seriously fucked up and one of my favorites. I hope the new series is as good as the original
>>
>>90497528
But female artists are awful.
>>
>>90497465
>this meme again
>>
Tatjana Wood (Wally Wood's wife, btw)
She colored fucking everything from the 70s to mid 80s, including Morrison's Animal Man and Moore's Swamp Thing and virtually all of the DC covers.
>>
>>90501091
speaking of coloring wives
Laura Allred
>>
File: dorohedoro-swallow.png (232KB, 501x450px) Image search: [Google]
dorohedoro-swallow.png
232KB, 501x450px
>>90500594
>But female artists are awful.
>>
What is going to take for there to be ONE female comic writer that's "British Invasion" level?

Where's the female Alan Moore? Shit...where's the Morrison? NONE of them seem to care about ideas beyond the most basic power-fantasy shit that was supposed to be how "men ruined comics" in the first place.

The best we've got is the female equivalent of "low tier Millar."
>>
File: longshot630.jpg (183KB, 990x1518px) Image search: [Google]
longshot630.jpg
183KB, 990x1518px
>>90501222
Nocenti was the female Morrison before he had ever written a big two comic.
>>
>>90486135
Yeah because comics are straight, white male "culture".

I'm fine with other races co-opting it. But the other races want their cake and want to eat it, but also want us to make it to their liking and say it's good even if its not.

As a white guy I love rap, I would never attempt to "change" it to make it more relatable to me. Same goes for anime. But Black people and asians can fuck off if they want to change my cultural thing while complaining about cultural appropriation.

Fuck that.

You don't see me demanding more white rappers or white anime artists to be famous in japan.
>>
>>90502177
I focus on race here but its just as much the gender aspect. Cheesecake exists because the people who read this shit want cheesecake.

Women want to read comics and playboy and be one of the boys, without having to actually be on of the boys. Unless they think they're a boy. Then they deserve a comic about a guy who thinks hes a girl.
>>
>>90486205
They had to make him "half white" to get supposedly "racist" readers to accept him. How that is supposed to work, who knows.
>>
>>90502177
>>90502228
I just wish one of the faggots on this board would tell me I'm wrong here.

Why is it okay to want to take white culture, demean it for having white people, and demand change?

Why is that any different from someone saying "there are just not enough white rappers."?
>>
>>90501222
they're all in webcomics and the indies, like small press indies, and the ones that aren't are making consistent best sellers like Raina Telgemeier
>>
>>90497349
I thought the first volume of the clean room was great, the second kinda fell off. I haven't bothered reading the third.

Still recomend it though.
>>
>>90501218
Yes. This is trash.
>>
>>90504119
then what qualifies as "good art" to you huh?
>>
>>90483185
Aiden Koch, Tove Jansson, Hellen Jo, Lilli Carré, Alabaster Pizzo, Katie Skelly, Julie Doucet, Mimi Pond, Ulli Lust, Lisa Hanawalt, Mariko Tamaki, Jillian Tamaki, Tillie Walden, Gina Wynbrandt, Mickey Z, Jane Mai, Melissa Mendes, Julia Gfrörer, and Dame Darcy

Just a cursory look at my shelf but I'm sure you get that you get it. It's not there there aren't any good female cartoonists, you just don't read any good comics.
>>
File: MOKF123_Mother2.jpg (178KB, 562x398px) Image search: [Google]
MOKF123_Mother2.jpg
178KB, 562x398px
>>90503382
He's maybe quarter-white. A 100% Britbong wouldn't have a face like this.
>>
>>90501222
Let me spell it out for you.
There aren't any because women are unintelligent.
>>
>>90504437
>no-name mediocrities
Really showed him.
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.