[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

THE FLOP DINOSAUR

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9

File: TGD boxoffice.png (152KB, 795x601px) Image search: [Google]
TGD boxoffice.png
152KB, 795x601px
>almost one month after released
>still doesn't reach 100 million in domestic
>struggle to reach 200 million worldwide
>>
>2015
>Expecting a dinosaur movie to make money
>>
>make a dinosaur movie
>don't make the dinosaurs cool

This shit had disaster written all over it.
>>
>>78332275
You mean the same year Jurassic World tore everything outside of Star Wars a new one?
>>
>>78332218

>$150 marketing budget
>nobody even knows the movie came out
>Movie poster doesn't even have the movie's name on it

What a fucking shitshow. Where did all that money fucking go?
>>
>>78332563
Coke and hookers.
>>
File: A DA FO YO SE.jpg (144KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
A DA FO YO SE.jpg
144KB, 600x800px
it was a nice movie (like a solid 7/10) but it felt more like a pixar showreel with all that attention to the animation stuff than a movie and the story was too fast at the beginning
>>
>>78332563
This was like 90% of the movie's problems. Most people I tried to talk about it to had no idea it even existed.
>>
>>78332563
Pixar IS the name of the movie.
>>
>>78332826
I thought Thanksgiving

>>78332563
Lunch, diners, probably spend a shitload on designing that fucking poster. Trust me marketing companies are very good at that.
>>
>>78332218
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1979388/releaseinfo
It hasn't been released worldwide.
>>
>>78332929
>Shit, Mike
>What
>I just realized
>What's up?
>I just fucking realized we didn't even put the name on the advertisement
>You fucking WHAT?
>Yeah, man, I just received a copy of the final print and it isn't there!
>Well, maybe we can-
>No, Mike, we already sent them!
>SHIT
>Oh, Christ.
>Look, don't sweat it too much, you know, we're Pixar, we're a public favorite, this won't change shit, I assure you.
>>
>>78332218
>>78333010
Star Wars is out now, this movie is fucking finished.
>>
>>78332218
>a movie has to make over 100 million to avoid being a flop
this is how you can tell than movie budgets needs to be slashed by 80%
>>
>>78333010
>not released in china
>every theatres busy for Star Wars hype
guaranteed flop
>>
File: laughing anakin.jpg (56KB, 342x342px) Image search: [Google]
laughing anakin.jpg
56KB, 342x342px
>>78333059
>Disney is so huge, its subsidiaries are competing and cutting into each other's profits.
>>
>>78332218
It's because of how juvenile it looked. People say that Disney/Pixar make kids movies, but that's not true. They make FAMILY movies that can be enjoyed on several levels (i.e. children and their parents) and the bright, plasticky dinosaur seems to be aiming towards the infant demographic.

Also, simply going by the trailers, there didn't seem to be much of a reason to give a shit about anything that was going on in the movie. Or even what the movie was about besides being about a boy and his dinosaur, which is extraordinarily dull sounding.
>>
Box office or not, can we just agree that it was a straight up shit movie.

After Inside Out I was really fucking hyped but then it turned out to be GODDAMNED Finding Nemo with dinosaurs. Can people just stop fucking making "small thing gets lost far from home and has to take a GIANT JOURNEY to find his family!"

I mean, even Inside Out was sorta like that.
>>
>>78333202
That's...a pretty scary thought, actually. Disney might be in danger of collapsing under its own weight.

Talk about being "too big to fail," this is "too big to survive."

Come to think of it, wasn't there a theory saying that part of the reason that the dinosaurs themselves died out was because their hearts weren't powerful enough to supply blood to their enormous bodies?

Jesus Christ, how poetically tragic this might turn out to be.
>>
>>78333237

Wasn't Wall-E like that? Wasn't Toy Story like that?

God damn how many times is this actually used in a Pixar film now that I think about it...
>>
>>78333202
remember that this is the reasoning behind all those axed 'beloved' cartoons.
>>
>>78333254
worth mentioning that part of the heart theory was a relatively sudden drop in oxygen levels
>>
>>78333262
Cars is that too
>>
>>78333290
>>78333262
Monsters Inc. does it with Boo but she's not the focus character.
>>
>>78333254
>too big to survive
Star Wars franchise is on track to make billions. Frozen made like 2 billion on a 150 mil budget. Almost half of the top 10 grossing movies in 2015 are owned by Disney. A 100 or 200 mil loss is a drop in the bucket for Disney. They didn't waste their time on promos for some shitty kids dino movie because they need to saturate the market with Star Wars in order to make bank on Lucas Films.
>>
It was a movie literally no one cared about. Stupid animation style.
Neanderthal/Caveman shit has been done better.
The title is retarded, dinosaurs aren't good or bad.
No one is asking for this shit, why was it even made?
>>
let's get ready for more princess shit in the future.
>>
>>78333148
China doesn't know or really care about Star Wars, anon. The original films came out during the cultural revolution and weren't seen until decades later in China, so the franchise has absolutely no warm fuzzy sentiment attached to it with the people of Chinese, and will probably ultimately not have the stunning overall worldwide box office take everyone thinks it will.
>>
>>78334829
>original films
>cultural revolution
The first film came out a year after Mao's death.
>>
>>78333589
that's not how it works, kid. Disney own several studio, there's not wasting efforts just become one studio does more than the other. Why are you so embarrassingly retarded? Are you even an adult? Or is this the state of modern Disney cattle?
>>
>>78334838
>Mao officially declared the Cultural Revolution to have ended in 1969, but its active phase lasted until the death of the military leader Lin Biao in 1971. After Mao's death and the arrest of the Gang of Four in 1976, reformers led by Deng Xiaoping gradually began to dismantle the Maoist policies associated with the Cultural Revolution. In 1981, the Party declared that the Cultural Revolution was "responsible for the most severe setback and the heaviest losses suffered by the Party, the country, and the people since the founding of the People's Republic."

Close enough.
>>
>By summer 2013, the director and producer had been removed from the film due to story problems.
>In September 2013, The Good Dinosaur was pushed back from May 30, 2014 to November 25, 2015 (the scheduled release date for Pixar's Finding Dory). According to Ream, the primary reason for the rescheduling was "the story was not working, period, full stop, it just was not where it needed to be."
>In August 2014, Lithgow revealed in an interview that the film had been dismantled and "completely reimagined" and that he was expected to re-record his role in the next month

not even Pixar is immune to production fuckups I guess
>>
>>78335730

looking at the sheer catalogue of hardcore issues this film had makes me wonder if the film could ever have been a success, like, the idea itself is inherently unworkable.

Still, considering cars 2 exists, it makes me genuinely sad that this is the film that flops hard.
>>
File: BTg_ssRIYAAGTBk.jpg (11KB, 480x639px) Image search: [Google]
BTg_ssRIYAAGTBk.jpg
11KB, 480x639px
>>78332563
>>
>>78332307
I think That's the joke he's going for, retard.
>>
Is it just me or did anyone else get a strong "Oscar bait" vibe from the movie?
Like, stronger than usual.
Especially in the beginning.
>>
>>78333059
what country is so poor people can't watch 2 movies per month?
>>
File: 1362035472521.jpg (46KB, 420x274px) Image search: [Google]
1362035472521.jpg
46KB, 420x274px
The movie was pretty mediocre/

The best thing about it was the crazy almost molester type dinosaur who was like "give us the boy"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p53V70VUaSI
He felt like something more put of Rango than this meh movie.
>>
>>78335730
Now I wonder what the movie's initial story was.
>>
Did anyone else really like the short? It had a nice message and visually it was stunning
Then again, coming after Lava, anything would look better
>>
>>78336566
The herbivorous dinosaurs all live together in an Amish community working to farm the land together. Arlo and his siblings are more in their twenties.

Arlo himself is sort of a manchild interested in studying the "bugs" raiding their crops and exploring the world rather then spending all his life living in an Amish paradise. The bugs are just cavepeople with an insect motif in how they dress, hence why the kid gets the name Spot. Arlo soon realizes that something is driving these humans to raid their farms and he and Spot go on an adventure out into the world to figure things out.

Then Bob Peterson and his team couldn't figure out a third act for this semi-autobiographical piece of crap (He grew up in Amish Country) with dinosaurs and so he was dropped from the director's chair and Peter Sohn had to rework the entire thing in like a year.

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2015/12/07/by-thinning-quot-the-good-dinosaur-quot-s-herd-pixar-animation-studios-wound-up-with-a-far-better-film.aspx
>>
>>78336562
The Tyrannosaurus ranchers and the Pterosaur Storm Cult were pretty fun too.
>>
Most Pixar fans might have known about it, but most didn't even know when it came out. Also all the marketing basically made it look Dreamworks-tier
>>
File: image.png (292KB, 881x907px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
292KB, 881x907px
>>78333037
>>
>>78334652
>Pixar
>princess shit
Lol, wut?
>>
>>78333254
I hope that Disney will collapse.
Fuck the mouse.
>>
>>78334843
He is DIDF - Disney Internet Defense Force
or DISIS
>>
>>78337326
>Lol, wut?

>Look at this asshole.
>He forgot that Brave was a Pixar movie

Brave was one of the most brutal "Let's just make a movie to sell a new doll to little girls" exercises in cinematic history, and it was made by your precious Pixar.
>>
I wanted to bang the Rex family.
>>
>>78333262
Bugs life and chicken run had the exact same story. They both even ended on the same shot
>>
>>78337855
yet it still had more integrity than frozen and tangled combined
>>
>>78337936
What the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>78337855

But Brave wasn't even a high performer at the box office. Inside Out, meanwhile, rivaled Finding Nemo and was also released this year.

The idea that this will herald a new age where Pixar focuses on "Princess movies" doesn't track logically.
>>
>>78337352
And Anon was never seen again.
>>
People are just getting sick of CG movies is all.

Now is the time for hand drawn animation to come back, The Princess And The Frog made 2.5 times it's budget so now will be the best time to bring back hand drawn again.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dragon-s-lair-returns#/
>>
>>78338172
Don pls go
>>
>>78336562
That's... It? That's the stronger part of the movie? Well, at least I don't have to feel bad about the flop, then.
>>
>>78338212
That is about Disney as a company, if they start to see CG films lose money they have to go back to hand drawn films.
>>
>>78338009
It really didn't.
At least Frozen and Tangled were honest about being princess cash grabs so you could be forewarned and avoid them. Brave tried to make itself out to be an adventure movie.
>>
>>78332563

Frozen's marketing campaign was horrible. A decent movie will overcome bad PR.
>>
>>78337936
same
>>
File: 1360097466432.jpg (33KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1360097466432.jpg
33KB, 500x375px
>>78332307
>>
I miss old Pixar
>>
>>78333264
I dont know which cartoons you mean, but i just started watching some bionic titan and why the fuck was this diamond canceled.
>>
File: 1449836273568.jpg (70KB, 407x407px) Image search: [Google]
1449836273568.jpg
70KB, 407x407px
>>78338172
>>
>>78336513
A country where you die from starvation on minimum wage and movie tickets are anywhere from $8 to $20, which is at least twice what a cheap fast food meal costs.
>>
>>78338172

The Princess and the Frog probably would have turned a really nice profit if Disney hadn't killed off their 2D department a few years earlier.

As is, it had to bear the costs of setting things back up. Going by Winnie the Pooh's budget, PatF would have cost about half as much without that.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.